What did you do to your E83 X3 today? - Page 22 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 05-18-2019, 02:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynagroove View Post
BimmurBrothor - if you were unsuccessful in cancelling, and the connectors are right for my car, I would be interested in grabbing this from you.

This is pretty slick. Thanks for posting @NLaRue!
There may be one thing I'm not sure about and in currently checking to make sure it's not just the device I have as it could be defective.

I think volume control is not part of this system. Only track skipping. Which is slightly disappointing.

I'm contacting the seller.

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 05:21 AM
BeeemerBro

Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
I couldn't believe that volume is not to be functional...I have one installed (the watered down version of the king audiovox mediabridge) and it only skips forward (You gotta hit the button twice in rapid succession) volume and it's got the mic (I'm used to having the mic) for this one the cable is so long I use the connection from the trunk up to the center console this is the set up for Rescue Red. *LaRue Rescue Red is a long story search it if you like.
now on the "Blue music",,, one of the customers reviewing the unit says there's "no review" or rewind i wouldn't be happy with that...now the second one LaRue, suggests the unit I think I would be satisfied with especially if it "Reviews" but that one is found on Amazon-france couldn't read it fully and I don't think they sell to the States or deliver, couldn't totally make it out. And I couldn't find this one on the Amazon-UK site

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Last edited by BimmurBrothor; 05-18-2019 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:27 AM
BeeemerBro

c-bass:
nuff said.

Last edited by BimmurBrothor; 05-18-2019 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:31 AM
BeeemerBro

I've got a email from cs Amazon-us and it double talked me and finally said I need to reach out to Amazon-UK today convey my wishes...oh boy! But I didn't see a charge on the card so we'll see.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmurBrothor View Post
I couldn't believe that volume is not to be functional...I have one installed (the watered down version of the king audiovox mediabridge) and it only skips forward (You gotta hit the button twice in rapid succession) volume and it's got the mic (I'm used to having the mic) for this one the cable is so long I use the connection from the trunk up to the center console this is the set up for Rescue Red. *LaRue Rescue Red is a long story search it if you like.
now on the "Blue music",,, one of the customers reviewing the unit says there's "no review" or rewind i wouldn't be happy with that...now the second one LaRue, suggests the unit I think I would be satisfied with especially if it "Reviews" but that one is found on Amazon-france couldn't read it fully and I don't think they sell to the States or deliver, couldn't totally make it out. And I couldn't find this one on the Amazon-UK site

The one I have goes forward and reverse with the songs.

If the volume control doesn't work is not a big deal for me but just would've been nice.

I'm just happy it sounds good and it's hidden and there's some control.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:14 AM
BeeemerBro

NLaRue: Does the unit cause the music name artist and song title to show on the head unit screen?

Old 05-18-2019, 07:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 e36 m3 s54
Nice!
Old 05-18-2019, 09:06 AM
BeeemerBro

Several months I pickup two a/c valves. I decided yesterday to install them. after doing so I discovered that one of the a/c lines to the compressor was loose...the screw was not tight! I missed tightening this screw after I replaced the compressor months ago...later...I had taken it to the shop for a fill of the refrigerant and the shop manager said I had a leak somewhere....
couldn't do the job. well that shines light on the situation. and I was thinking the compressor was bad (refurbished). I may very well be on my way to having the a/c back in action.

Last edited by BimmurBrothor; 05-18-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmurBrothor View Post
NLaRue: Does the unit cause the music name artist and song title to show on the head unit screen?

I haven't seen the tracks but it's possible I'm not doing something right. Not sure if it's possible. If someone has a CD changer they might be able to answer if they see tracks or if your regular CD player sees tracks.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:15 AM
BeeemerBro

I would think it wouldn't after seeing the connectors. They are the same as mine and mine doesn't show the scrolling text...cannot mixup or foul up those two connections.
now that I'm thinking about it there is a menu on the head unit that turns that scroll feature off/on if I'm remembering correctly. someone else came chime in.

Last edited by BimmurBrothor; 05-18-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3, 6 Speed
Build this tool to get the rtabs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2019, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto:
@Jeepo - I have to admit that I get jealous of your tool making skills. Nice work sir! I need to learn how to weld!

I did a much more superficial upgrade today - nothing like the feeling of a new roundel!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2546.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	852539  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
@Jeepo - I have to admit that I get jealous of your tool making skills. Nice work sir! I need to learn how to weld!

I did a much more superficial upgrade today - nothing like the feeling of a new roundel!
dynagroove; thanks! But I'm far from a expert welder. Those welds on that thing look terrible lol. I guess I could of cleaned it up a bit.

I can't take full credit for this as I found the video of a guy that basically copied the MIS tool and provided the dimension etc. I had the fuel in me to get this done just need a fire starter basically.

And a few years ago I was also at small fixes with time you get the confidence, tool set and skillset! Word of advice I can give you get yourself a cheap welder. If you have access to 220V outlet pick up one of the Lincoln Stick Welders (known as Tombstones) they can be had for <100$ used and is a great starting point. Will come in handy in many tasks especially car repairs that can go sour. If 220V is hard to get in your garage, there is means to take power from dryer outlets, keep in mind their only 30A vs. 50A but it can be done :P
Old 05-20-2019, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
dynagroove; thanks! But I'm far from a expert welder. Those welds on that thing look terrible lol. I guess I could of cleaned it up a bit.

I can't take full credit for this as I found the video of a guy that basically copied the MIS tool and provided the dimension etc. I had the fuel in me to get this done just need a fire starter basically.

And a few years ago I was also at small fixes with time you get the confidence, tool set and skillset! Word of advice I can give you get yourself a cheap welder. If you have access to 220V outlet pick up one of the Lincoln Stick Welders (known as Tombstones) they can be had for <100$ used and is a great starting point. Will come in handy in many tasks especially car repairs that can go sour. If 220V is hard to get in your garage, there is means to take power from dryer outlets, keep in mind their only 30A vs. 50A but it can be done :P
Thanks for the words of encouragement @Jeepo! I've been wrenching on and off since the early 80's, and have made my fair share of tools out of other tools and items, but I've never had the gumption to try my hand at welding. No 220V in my garage, but I've made friends with an electrician and I'm planning an upgrade in my future.

I may just make good on my years of threats to take some welding classes and the local community college.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: X3, 442, S15, Silverado
Quote:
Thanks for the words of encouragement @Jeepo! I've been wrenching on and off since the early 80's, and have made my fair share of tools out of other tools and items, but I've never had the gumption to try my hand at welding. No 220V in my garage, but I've made friends with an electrician and I'm planning an upgrade in my future.

I may just make good on my years of threats to take some welding classes and the local community college.
You don't need 220, Lincoln makes a nice little 110V flux-core wire unit for $350, get it at lowes. It's portable, and is my go-to for most jobs, and is good up to a 1/8" steel (although I've done thicker with MAP pre-heating and a good bevel). Even used it on cast iron. Seldom need to touch the $4k Miller TIG unit unless for really heavy duty jobs. I've made full custom exhausts, repaired tractor implements, and even cut out/replaced rusted or dented body panels with it. Most guys prefer shield-gas for body work, but I've never had issue with the Flux-core. Run a hand over or look at an angle at the [painted black] body panels on my Olds, can't tell at all where the joint is.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedkt442 View Post
You don't need 220, Lincoln makes a nice little 110V flux-core wire unit for $350, get it at lowes. It's portable, and is my go-to for most jobs, and is good up to a 1/8" steel (although I've done thicker with MAP pre-heating and a good bevel). Even used it on cast iron. Seldom need to touch the $4k Miller TIG unit unless for really heavy duty jobs. I've made full custom exhausts, repaired tractor implements, and even cut out/replaced rusted or dented body panels with it. Most guys prefer shield-gas for body work, but I've never had issue with the Flux-core. Run a hand over or look at an angle at the [painted black] body panels on my Olds, can't tell at all where the joint is.
Thanks for the tip @Duke. Lowes is my go to place since I finally signed up for their veteran discount.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip @Duke. Lowes is my go to place since I finally signed up for their veteran discount.
Good deal. Thanks for your service. I am a fan of that discount!
Old 05-21-2019, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedkt442 View Post
Good deal. Thanks for your service. I am a fan of that discount!
Thanks Duke. I'm a big fan as well, especially since they include those of us that didn't retire from the service.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 04 X5 3.0i, 08 X3 3.0si
I just recently added a Lincoln 110V MIG welder to my garage. Mine says it draws right at 15 amps max, so I added a 20 amp circuit in my garage. I hadn't done any welding in probably 30 years, and that was stick welding mostly, so it's like starting all over again learning. I'm quickly becoming a fan of the wire feed vs. stick! Oh, and to REALLY date myself.... auto-darkening welding helmets are da bomb!!!

My breaker box is in my garage, so it made it relatively easy for me to install a new circuit. I also added a non-code 220V line for my air compressor. I just ran the wiring on the outside of the wall, as I intend to remove that line when I sell the house someday. It's hard-wired to my compressor. I did my best to follow code when I installed the 20 amp 110V circuit, though.

Having been relegated for many years to the limitations of suburban living after growing up as a farm kid with access to things like dedicated workshops and working in professional garages, I've only in recent years decided to quit being so limited and make changes to my garage that I need to be more functional. I should have done some of this stuff a LONG time ago!

Great job on the tool, jeepo, and I also thank you for your service, dynagroove!

AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attacking Mid View Post
I just recently added a Lincoln 110V MIG welder to my garage. Mine says it draws right at 15 amps max, so I added a 20 amp circuit in my garage. I hadn't done any welding in probably 30 years, and that was stick welding mostly, so it's like starting all over again learning. I'm quickly becoming a fan of the wire feed vs. stick! Oh, and to REALLY date myself.... auto-darkening welding helmets are da bomb!!!

My breaker box is in my garage, so it made it relatively easy for me to install a new circuit. I also added a non-code 220V line for my air compressor. I just ran the wiring on the outside of the wall, as I intend to remove that line when I sell the house someday. It's hard-wired to my compressor. I did my best to follow code when I installed the 20 amp 110V circuit, though.

Having been relegated for many years to the limitations of suburban living after growing up as a farm kid with access to things like dedicated workshops and working in professional garages, I've only in recent years decided to quit being so limited and make changes to my garage that I need to be more functional. I should have done some of this stuff a LONG time ago!

Great job on the tool, jeepo, and I also thank you for your service, dynagroove!

AM.
Yeah they are! Not as good for your eyes long-term as a perma-dark helmet, but for the occasional weekend warrior, they're just fine.

Yours is probably the same as mine; I referred to it as flux-core because that's all I weld with it, I haven't used true MIG (shielding gas). My little 110 runs fine off 15a circuits unless I'm laying a looooong bead for a loooooong time. For jobs too far from an outlet (I won't use longer than a 15 ft extension chord), I wheel/haul my generator out and use it to power the welder in the field. Discing my garden with the tractor last month, some of the linkage broke, for example. I learned on aluminum, so this steel stuff is cake.

Did you find you had to reverse your positive and negative wires on the welder when you bought it? Mine did, as if it was set up for aluminum (which these are supposedly able to do, if you get a spool gun and a bottle).

Best part of a welder is using it to wrench, and I don't mean to repair. The heat works GREAT for freeing stuck fasteners. And if you should ever snap a bolt or stud in an aluminum piece, like snapping an exhaust manifold bolt/stud flush: don't even look at the drill or extractor, hold a nut over the broken stud, and fill it with weld. It'll weld to the stud (steel) and even though the weld will pool all up on the aluminum, it won't weld to it (dissimilar metals and all). Then simply take a wrench and turn out. I know you're probably aware, but guys looking at upping their wrenching game may not be.

Last edited by dukedkt442; 05-22-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 6MT
Took the X3 on a road trip from Toronto to Montreal & back.

Averaged 26mpg, and it didn't skip a beat - I love the M54 engine!
Old 05-22-2019, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 04 X5 3.0i, 08 X3 3.0si
I bought mine used and the argon tank was almost empty, so I started off using flux core wire. I played a bit with the gas shielding until I ran out of gas. Just got a new tank and haven't further played with it. Great tip on bolts broken in aluminum! I had not ever done that. I'm sure I'll find plenty of uses for it.

I had to reverse the polarity for flux core wire and back for gas shielded. The model of mine is a Pro MIG 140. I think there are different model names for very similar welders over the years.

AM.

Last edited by Attacking Mid; 05-22-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 e36 m3 s54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
Build this tool to get the rtabs out.

That pretty cool! So is the block on the back side of the RTAB threaded to pull the bushing out? Or did you weld a nut on it?
Old 05-28-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch500 View Post
That pretty cool! So is the block on the back side of the RTAB threaded to pull the bushing out? Or did you weld a nut on it?

I threaded the block, the welded on nut is also an option.

The difference this tool did vs. using the typical ball joint press I did a few years ago on thee46 was day and night, made the job a total breeze vs. Trying to make one of the cups etc work.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325i Touring/07 X3si
I'm taking a break as we speak from being badly humiliated by the top bolt of the transfer case actuator...UGH!!!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search