Model 3 starts delivery, is that really the 3-series killer? - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 07-30-2017, 09:12 AM
CALWATERBOY DUE CALWATERBOY DUE is offline
Banned
Location: Fog City, California
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10,015
Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
As I moved the speed up, the mileage went down, and it would not let me slide the MPH past 70. The average speed on Interstate 15 by my home (non rush hour) is 80 MPH. The actual posted speed limit is 70 MPH and, on average, people drive about 10 MPH over. Going "fast" on this stretch of road is 90.

Y'know, 80 mph's been the defacto limit for the enthusiastic Californian.

Lately, the minimum....
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #102  
Old 07-30-2017, 09:12 AM
mr_clueless's Avatar
mr_clueless mr_clueless is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,196
Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
This is great info. So does $35k base include LED headlights, leather seat, and moonroof? Those are the options that will be of interest to me.

As far as tech, it does puzzle me if BMW and now Tesla's high-priced driver techs that cost $5000 are any better than Honda sensing for $2000. So does BMW and Tesla's radar sense twice as far and twice as fast as Honda's? There seems to be no objective numbers to quantify the price differences ....
I think the seats are vegan aka faux leather.
https://electrek.co/2017/07/22/tesla...ons-now-vegan/

LED lights are standard.

https://heavy.com/news/2017/07/tesla...ecs-cost-what/

Last edited by mr_clueless; 07-30-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 07-30-2017, 09:17 AM
namelessman namelessman is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: northern california
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,720
Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Thanks for pulling together the option costs

I wonder how many people know that the range quoted is given a certain speed? A few years ago I was looking into Model S and range. Tesla had a range estimator in their website. The stated range was at like 55 MPH (which no one drives on an open freeway in my area). As I moved the speed up, the mileage went down, and it would not let me slide the MPH past 70. The average speed on Interstate 15 by my home (non rush hour) is 80 MPH. The actual posted speed limit is 70 MPH and, on average, people drive about 10 MPH over. Going "fast" on this stretch of road is 90.

So, the 300 mile range was more like 150 at speeds around 80 MPH, and I always think of those numbers like EPA estimates... so I was guessing that if I had a 300 Mile range tesla model S, I would get somewhere around 120-140 miles of actual round trip range at the normal speeds I drive.
Do note that in that estimator, temp increase can lead to improved range, so SoCal and 90F+ can help a bit.

Also the % decrease in range with increased speed does seem to shrink, so 80mph probably still gives about 210-220mph(down from [email protected] and 70F on a Model S 75D), which is close to what coworkers observed in their S's(which are heavier than Model 3).

Last edited by namelessman; 07-30-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #104  
Old 07-30-2017, 10:42 AM
namelessman namelessman is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: northern california
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,720
Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
I think the seats are vegan aka faux leather.
https://electrek.co/2017/07/22/tesla...ons-now-vegan/

LED lights are standard.
LED standard is cool, and are Tesla vegan seats ventilated ones?

$5500 to get the glass roof is a bit steep, but for those who need docking stations for smart phones, that price can be worth it(or not?).

My guess is since full self driving hardware is standard, the $5000 enhanced autopilot, and extra $3000 for full self driving, can be added later, right?
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 07-30-2017, 10:58 AM
namelessman namelessman is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: northern california
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,720
Mein Auto: bimmer
So the base Model S has no instrument panel, instead there is a simple shelf with mounts for a tablet.

That has been my question for the last few years, why all the proprietary gadgets when tablets/notebooks can easily be updated?
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 07-30-2017, 11:20 AM
SSubZero SSubZero is offline
Registered User
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 2016 340i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Ok, the factory store said Model 3 won't hit showroom until Dec. Test drive will only be available for those with reservation# and need to configure the purchase.
Yeah I don't expect to see one in a showroom anytime soon. Every one they are pumping out of the factory is already sold. They don't even need to advertise or market the thing now, they have enough pre-orders to fill to last them for *years*. Why bother trying to sell a car to someone that you can't actually deliver to until like 2020?

I'd hope to at least see a mockup of the body so I can identify them. I live in "Tesla country" (about 15 minutes from NUMI) and even here, the showrooms and dealers simply have NOTHING on the Model 3 at all.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 07-30-2017, 11:28 AM
mr_clueless's Avatar
mr_clueless mr_clueless is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,196
Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSubZero View Post
Yeah I don't expect to see one in a showroom anytime soon. Every one they are pumping out of the factory is already sold. They don't even need to advertise or market the thing now, they have enough pre-orders to fill to last them for *years*. Why bother trying to sell a car to someone that you can't actually deliver to until like 2020?

I'd hope to at least see a mockup of the body so I can identify them. I live in "Tesla country" (about 15 minutes from NUMI) and even here, the showrooms and dealers simply have NOTHING on the Model 3 at all.
The website has this:
>>>
As we ramp up production, deliveries for Model 3 reservations placed today are not expected to be delivered until mid 2018.
>>>
I don't know whether "today" mean 7/30/17 or some other date when the web page was created. I think the production ramp will be much quicker than anticipated.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 07-30-2017, 11:40 AM
namelessman namelessman is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: northern california
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,720
Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
I don't know whether "today" mean 7/30/17 or some other date when the web page was created. I think the production ramp will be much quicker than anticipated.
The first test would be Q4(starting in 4-5 weeks) 5000 units/week, that milestone has to be hit first to ever get to 10000 units/week(on Model 3 only, not S + X + 3).

And 30 units delivered to employees is not really a real launch to the public ....
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 07-30-2017, 12:01 PM
Darudis e91 Darudis e91 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bradford uk
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 100
Mein Auto: E91 325d
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232399135159


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 07-30-2017, 12:04 PM
CALWATERBOY DUE CALWATERBOY DUE is offline
Banned
Location: Fog City, California
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10,015
Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
This is great info. So does $35k base include LED headlights, leather seat, and moonroof? Those are the options that will be of interest to me.

As far as tech, it does puzzle me if BMW and now Tesla's high-priced driver techs that cost $5000 are any better than Honda sensing for $2000. So does BMW and Tesla's radar sense twice as far and twice as fast as Honda's? There seems to be no objective numbers to quantify the price differences ....

Honda Sensing standard on my '18 Odyssey - lane keeping assist OK not sa-mooth enough for these refined hands - seriously wish for lane centering! Adaptive cruise seems to learn with use.

Adaptive cruise seeing 2X distance as Honda would put it close to 1/4 mi.

.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY DUE; 07-30-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 07-30-2017, 12:08 PM
Darudis e91 Darudis e91 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bradford uk
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 100
Mein Auto: E91 325d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darudis e91 View Post
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232399135159


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest






Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 07-30-2017, 12:35 PM
CALWATERBOY DUE CALWATERBOY DUE is offline
Banned
Location: Fog City, California
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10,015
Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
So the base Model S has no instrument panel, instead there is a simple shelf with mounts for a tablet.

That has been my question for the last few years, why all the proprietary gadgets when tablets/notebooks can easily be updated?

Here it is:


Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 07-30-2017, 12:46 PM
namelessman namelessman is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: northern california
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,720
Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post
Here it is:
That's one clean cut dash. So will the speed, fuel, etc, etc, be displayed on the tablet?
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 07-30-2017, 02:47 PM
CALWATERBOY DUE CALWATERBOY DUE is offline
Banned
Location: Fog City, California
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10,015
Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
That's one clean cut dash. So will the speed, fuel, etc, etc, be displayed on the tablet?

Yes - left side. Can be up to 3 vert partitions for vitals, map, whatever.

Gotta drive to know -- sure looks handy. Now, if the ride's compliant, not like bruisin' 3/4 ton, screen might work for us -- tap tap touch.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 07-30-2017, 02:56 PM
181562 181562 is offline
Not Here Anymore
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,203
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSubZero View Post
Yeah I don't expect to see one in a showroom anytime soon. Every one they are pumping out of the factory is already sold. They don't even need to advertise or market the thing now, they have enough pre-orders to fill to last them for *years*. Why bother trying to sell a car to someone that you can't actually deliver to until like 2020?

I'd hope to at least see a mockup of the body so I can identify them. I live in "Tesla country" (about 15 minutes from NUMI) and even here, the showrooms and dealers simply have NOTHING on the Model 3 at all.
I just saw eight of them on a car carrier
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 07-30-2017, 03:19 PM
namelessman namelessman is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: northern california
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,720
Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post
Honda Sensing standard on my '18 Odyssey - lane keeping assist OK not sa-mooth enough for these refined hands - seriously wish for lane centering! Adaptive cruise seems to learn with use.

Adaptive cruise seeing 2X distance as Honda would put it close to 1/4 mi.

.
Is there a link that shows that Honda adaptive cruise can see 1/8 mile? That is 220 yards.

Is there a similar spec for BMW's adaptive cruise?
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 07-30-2017, 03:39 PM
CALWATERBOY DUE CALWATERBOY DUE is offline
Banned
Location: Fog City, California
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 10,015
Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Is there a link that shows that Honda adaptive cruise can see 1/8 mile? That is 220 yards.

Is there a similar spec for BMW's adaptive cruise?

Don't know - Odyssey max distance is way way back - many car lengths. I set it @ minimum distance, almost too much space. Gotta say, makes driving much less personal. That's a good thing.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 07-30-2017, 04:24 PM
daniely30 daniely30 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 214
Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 550i
If tesla was able to recharge to 100% in even 15 min, then i can see other manufacturers scratching their heads, until then, its just an alternative


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 07-30-2017, 07:14 PM
Michael Schott Michael Schott is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,784
Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniely30 View Post
If tesla was able to recharge to 100% in even 15 min, then i can see other manufacturers scratching their heads, until then, its just an alternative


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
That's exactly what it is. It's folly to say it's a 3 series killer. The reality is 4 door internal combustion sedans are not in high demand due to the popularity of SUV's and the like. The Tesla 3 offers a feature unlike any car in it's class. And it's trendy. Mercedes, Audi and BMW are tried and true.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 07-30-2017, 07:17 PM
Rebound Rebound is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 380
Mein Auto: Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post
Yes - left side. Can be up to 3 vert partitions for vitals, map, whatever.



Gotta drive to know -- sure looks handy. Now, if the ride's compliant, not like bruisin' 3/4 ton, screen might work for us -- tap tap touch.
I gotta say... if the whole instrument panel is a user-supplied tablet, that is awesome for low-cost, long-term reliability.
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 07-30-2017, 09:21 PM
Dave 20T's Avatar
Dave 20T Dave 20T is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Western Washington state
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,403
Mein Auto: 320i (F30)
A tablet is a terrible design. Knobs and buttons, if not too small or numerous, are much safer.

The Tesla 3 has led me to consider a Ford Focus Electric rather than a Tesla. Does quite a bit for $29,900. A Tesla with a larger battery is not $35k but much more.
__________________
Bimmerfest is a wealth of information!
TPMS sensors from BMW are VDO or HUF/Beru, but are not the same even though frequency is the same.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=976197
Step by step instructions when a hood release cable needs replacement. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=981724
SIB 11 13 15 oil filter housing for the F30 - metal since mid-2013 and can be retrofitted without charge
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=951692

Last edited by Dave 20T; 07-30-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 07-30-2017, 09:26 PM
mr_clueless's Avatar
mr_clueless mr_clueless is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,196
Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
A tablet is a terrible design. Knobs and buttons, if not too small or numerous, are much safer.

The Tesla 3 has led me to consider a Ford Focus Electric rather than a Tesla. Does quite a bit for $29,900
That's where the autonomous driving comes in.

Actually, it can't be that bad, because they would have received that feedback from current S and X owners. I know a few people that have these cars and that is not something they ever complain about.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 07-30-2017, 11:07 PM
mr_clueless's Avatar
mr_clueless mr_clueless is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,196
Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
I'm very tempted to put a deposit for one of these!
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 07-30-2017, 11:19 PM
namelessman namelessman is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: northern california
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,720
Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
That's exactly what it is. It's folly to say it's a 3 series killer. The reality is 4 door internal combustion sedans are not in high demand due to the popularity of SUV's and the like. The Tesla 3 offers a feature unlike any car in it's class. And it's trendy. Mercedes, Audi and BMW are tried and true.
The BMW brass does not see Model 3 nor EV as folly, as the marching order is full stream ahead of all things electric at Munich.

In fact BMW just announced 2019 Mini will get electric option.

There is also speculation that a 3-series EV will be announced in Sept, if true then the world will see BMW's counterpunch to Model 3 soon.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/tesl...wn-3-series-ev
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 07-30-2017, 11:23 PM
namelessman namelessman is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: northern california
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,720
Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
I'm very tempted to put a deposit for one of these!
Like minds think alike. . The deposit is 100% refundable, but it also contributes to interest free loan to Tesla(close to $500m so far!).
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.