How would a MB CLA250 4Matic compare.... - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 428i GC xDrive
How would a MB CLA250 4Matic compare....

to my current 428i Xdrive? Both 2015. Saw a fair deal on one come up locally but know NOTHING about a CLA250. Kind of like the smaller size for our daily drivers now that no kids to cart around

Anyway, see ad for one with <12k miles, navi, backup camera, bi-xenon, heated seats - what I think are only options I care about.

Wife's car in need of replacement soon. She wants another E350 and prefers the MB ride, comfort, quietness, overall "plush" feel of E350 compared to the 428. But I don't think we need a car that size and I don't want to spend that much.

Don't really care which would do 0-60 faster, hold a curve better, or look prettier. What she would value is "luxury car feel" in smaller package, gas mileage, ride comfort, maintenance costs, etc. General grocery-getter qualities, not driving to the limits qualities. AWD performance with stock (or similar) a/s tires for our occasional snowflakes... Looking that the 2 that way, would the CLA250 be better, worse, same? Would it feel lacking compared to an E350 in terms of refinement or similar, but smaller?

For reference she's currently in 2016 Cadi ATS 4 2.0T and very much dislikes the harshness of ride and "cheap feel" to it. Hard seats, feel every seam in the road, road/wind noise, awkward touch screen interface, etc. Other than seat comfort, she has same complaints about the 428i....

Last edited by cmv; 03-06-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: '15 435i M Sport Convert.
Most reviews I've read of the CLA series were not too complimentary. Pity as I liked the CLS and thought it was an attractive alternative. I'd definitely take one for a drive and see how it feels to you.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:33 AM

Probably will....just car is about 2 hrs away. Hate to go all that way and find out it's very similar in comfort/noise/refinement compared to ATS or 428... And once there, won't be keeping her away from the E350's and drawing the direct comparison cementing the E350 or bust.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 bmw
I am currently driving a 2017 Mercedes E300 4 matic and a 2018 Bmw 430 X drive conv. For ride and comfort it's the Mercedes BMW is more sports car and the ride is firm ,hope this answers your questions
Old 03-06-2018, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: G30 540i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmv View Post
to my current 428i Xdrive? Both 2015. Saw a fair deal on one come up locally but know NOTHING about a CLA250. Kind of like the smaller size for our daily drivers now that no kids to cart around

Anyway, see ad for one with <12k miles, navi, backup camera, bi-xenon, heated seats - what I think are only options I care about.

Wife's car in need of replacement soon. She wants another E350 and prefers the MB ride, comfort, quietness, overall "plush" feel of E350 compared to the 428. But I don't think we need a car that size and I don't want to spend that much.

Don't really care which would do 0-60 faster, hold a curve better, or look prettier. What she would value is "luxury car feel" in smaller package, gas mileage, ride comfort, maintenance costs, etc. General grocery-getter qualities, not driving to the limits qualities. AWD performance with stock (or similar) a/s tires for our occasional snowflakes... Looking that the 2 that way, would the CLA250 be better, worse, same? Would it feel lacking compared to an E350 in terms of refinement or similar, but smaller?

For reference she's currently in 2016 Cadi ATS 4 2.0T and very much dislikes the harshness of ride and "cheap feel" to it. Hard seats, feel every seam in the road, road/wind noise, awkward touch screen interface, etc. Other than seat comfort, she has same complaints about the 428i....
the cla is good looking but other than that, it has a very low consumer reports satisfaction report, and doesnít drive like a mercedes at all, many reviews criticize the cla heavily, because well... its not a good car
Old 03-06-2018, 12:37 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:

I've never driven a CLA, but from what I have read consistently, "luxury feel" is not its strong suit at all.

If she's in an ATS, I would suggest you look at an A3 instead of a CLA. Would she go to an X1...?

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 03-06-2018, 01:03 PM

X1? probably. But won't that be REAL similar to a 3/4 series? Never been in one so don't know.

CLA, awd, $23k, 12k miles, decent options just caught my attention & had me wondering. Not in any rush. We get rid of the ATS next month & then still have her Sonata (which she prefers to the ATS). Just thought maybe a lower-cost alternative to E350....
Old 03-06-2018, 01:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
X1? probably. But won't that be REAL similar to a 3/4 series? Never been in one so don't know.

CLA, awd, $23k, 12k miles, decent options just caught my attention & had me wondering. Not in any rush. We get rid of the ATS next month & then still have her Sonata (which she prefers to the ATS). Just thought maybe a lower-cost alternative to E350....
Based on your description of what you (she) wants, I dont think you will like it (nor will she). I have not owned one but have ridden around in a co workers, and "luxury feel" is not something I felt in there, unlike other MBs.

I wouldnt waste your time, personally. Look for the car she wants (either new or used, depending on budget).

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341
Old 03-06-2018, 01:41 PM

Definitely used. Something like a Sonata, yeah, i'll buy that new. BMW, MB - nahh... I'm perfectly fine knowing someone else's butt was in the seat for 15-20k miles before mine
Old 03-06-2018, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 428GC M-Sport
What about a C Class? I just replaced my 428GC with a C400, definitely more of a luxury feel than the BMW, nicer interior, smoother quieter ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 03-06-2018, 02:33 PM

Probably fine. I liked the exterior looks of the GLA better, not that it matters much. C series are a little more $.

When shopping for this car, I immediately crossed the small MB off my list. #1 was the exterior styling of C class to a point. But the biggest reason - and this is so stupid - I hate the way the screen is mounted on the dash of all the smaller MB. Looks like as an afterthought someone duct taped an iPad mini right to the dash. Screen just looks so out of place and not part of the car.

Dumb, I know, but every time I looked at it, that would bug me for as long as I owned the car. Add in the "1982 electric window style buttons" for the HVAC controls and the analog clock underneath - that whole center piece just looks "wrong" to me. Aesthetics...so small nits to pick....

She wouldn't care. As long as it has navi, backup camera, butt warmers, and a "plush" feel she's happy. I want the addition of awd and xenon/LED vs halogen for a little added safety.

Moot point for now....CLA250 is sold.....

HOW would you rate your C400 vs an E350 strictly on ride quality, interior noise, "luxury feeling"? Assuming a C300 would be the same as far as those type items - 400 just a bigger engine?

Last edited by cmv; 03-06-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:11 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07, 2017 F31
I know you're not looking for large, but my parents last year bought a used Hyundai Genesis with ~25k mileage and about $2k more than you're looking at with that CLA. It doesn't respond (steering) like a BMW, but the ride is probably exactly what your wife likes (I'd call it refined, it's very smooth, but not bouncy like the old time Cadillacs). Just a thought since it seems you are focused on ride quality...it also has most of the features included in the 5+ series (IOW, things that aren't even offered on the 3/4 series). Seats are quite comfortable too.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 428GC M-Sport
Quote:
Probably fine. I liked the exterior looks of the GLA better, not that it matters much. C series are a little more $.

When shopping for this car, I immediately crossed the small MB off my list. #1 was the exterior styling of C class to a point. But the biggest reason - and this is so stupid - I hate the way the screen is mounted on the dash of all the smaller MB. Looks like as an afterthought someone duct taped an iPad mini right to the dash. Screen just looks so out of place and not part of the car.

Dumb, I know, but every time I looked at it, that would bug me for as long as I owned the car. Add in the "1982 electric window style buttons" for the HVAC controls and the analog clock underneath - that whole center piece just looks "wrong" to me. Aesthetics...so small nits to pick....

She wouldn't care. As long as it has navi, backup camera, butt warmers, and a "plush" feel she's happy. I want the addition of awd and xenon/LED vs halogen for a little added safety.

Moot point for now....CLA250 is sold.....

HOW would you rate your C400 vs an E350 strictly on ride quality, interior noise, "luxury feeling"? Assuming a C300 would be the same as far as those type items - 400 just a bigger engine?
Not sure how it compares to an E350, but probably has even more of a luxury feel, I bet it would feel super-safe though, so if that is a big consideration for the missus you should try one.

I really don't mind the screen design in the C, but I wish it was tilted towards the driver like in BMW.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 340 xdrive
Quote:

General rule is, if you pay for half of Mercedes, you get half of Mercedes
From what i read and heard CLA is garbage
Old 03-06-2018, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 340 M Sport
Don't want to sound subjective or jaded but I really don't see the "more luxurious" or "better quality interior" in a MB over a BMW (at the same basic levels, non AMG). Quite frankly, MB gets uglier and cheaper with each passing year. I have a 2018 340, yes I'll accept it may be somewhat dated-looking compared to other cars, but in a good classical way. My brother in law has a 2017 CLA250. They were parked side by side the other day and IMHO the BMW is much better looking in terms of design and build. The look and tactile perceptions -interior and exterior- of that MB is, quite frankly, hideous (also, not a fan of the rounded look they apply these days). I believe MB is riding on the coattails of what once was a reputation of bank-vault solidity. Not so much anymore.
Just my opinion, hope to not offend anyone.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:52 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2011 528i RWD
Quote:

this is a stupid post in all honesty, the CLA's proportions and interior are downright disgusting. you are paying for the badge and nothing else. in a BMW at least you're paying for (hopefully) RWD and an inline 6. there are lots of cars that offer similar levels of performance as a CLA but with twice the features and a more reasonable price. the CLA is NOT a luxury car despite the fact it has a Benz star tacked onto it. if you want a smooth comfy ride, buy a lexus. if you need the Mercedes badge get a c400.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N52 Moistenor View Post
this is a stupid post in all honesty, the CLA's proportions and interior are downright disgusting. you are paying for the badge and nothing else. in a BMW at least you're paying for (hopefully) RWD and an inline 6. there are lots of cars that offer similar levels of performance as a CLA but with twice the features and a more reasonable price. the CLA is NOT a luxury car despite the fact it has a Benz star tacked onto it. if you want a smooth comfy ride, buy a lexus. if you need the Mercedes badge get a c400.
Sorry for the STUPID POST. Thank you for your help pointing that out.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:00 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by N52 Moistenor View Post
There's a lot of stupid posts here, and on any owner's forum, but OP ain't one of them. He's interested in buying a new car, and legitimately asking advice.

I don't agree that a CLA legitimately compares with a 3-Series either, but that doesn't make the question "stupid".

How about tone it down a notch?

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission

Last edited by tex2670; 03-07-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
There's a lot of stupid posts here, and on any owner's forum, but OP ain't one of them. He's interested in buying a new car, and legitimately asking advice.

I don't agree that a CLA legitimately compares with a 3-Series either, but that doesn't make the question "stupid".

How about tone it down a notch?
+1

I thought OPs question was totally and completely within bounds on a forum like this. MB and BMW are cross shopped as direct competitors by many, so this is within bounds totally in my book.

OP good luck with your choice, but I think you know you are going to end up with the one your wife wants, right? (lol).

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341
Old 03-07-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw2bmw View Post
Don't want to sound subjective or jaded but I really don't see the "more luxurious" or "better quality interior" in a MB over a BMW (at the same basic levels, non AMG). Quite frankly, MB gets uglier and cheaper with each passing year. I have a 2018 340, yes I'll accept it may be somewhat dated-looking compared to other cars, but in a good classical way. My brother in law has a 2017 CLA250. They were parked side by side the other day and IMHO the BMW is much better looking in terms of design and build. The look and tactile perceptions -interior and exterior- of that MB is, quite frankly, hideous (also, not a fan of the rounded look they apply these days). I believe MB is riding on the coattails of what once was a reputation of bank-vault solidity. Not so much anymore.
Just my opinion, hope to not offend anyone.
True - the comparison is flawed from the start pitting a well-equipped E350 vs my 4 series. Not apples to apples and compared to a 5 is probably more "fair" or direct comparison. But, in that regard, the E350 has more of a refined feel to it. In the ride, interior trim detail and materials, cabin sound levels at highway speed, etc. I'm not saying overall it is a better car in every way. But that is her "measuring stick" for what she wants to ride around in. So every vehicle is being compared to a 2009 E350 for overall comfort and pleasurable driving experience. That is her baseline.

She went form that to my 2012 base Hyundai Sonata since she didn't want a MB car payment. She hated it at first since it is horrible in comparison....but she grew to LOVE the gas mileage and $0 maintenance cost. She still drives it, but is desperately trying to hit the mileage on this cadi ATS lease before we turn it in (we took it over from my father when his health went south - we didn't choose that car). She likes the radio sound quality in it and the great night picture backup camera, but otherwise has very little positive to say about it.

Soooooo....looking for something very similar to the interior feel and ride quality (subjective measures 100%) of the E350, but in a smaller 4 cyl vehicle for the fuel economy. Also, since I'm paying for it (and the insurance, annual taxes, etc) I don't really want to be in E350 price range - even @ a couple yrs old.

Plenty of time to find something. 2 drivers, 4 vehicles so not an immediate need. Just casually browse clist and stuff looking for interesting deals to check out. And not knowing anything about some cars at all doesn't help much - like the CLA for example - never been in one even.

I like the genesis suggestion. Our Sonata has 130k or more miles and has never needed anything outside of routine stuff like wiper blades & brake pads. Still seems as good as it was brand new minus typical interior wear from age. So if we can get similar reliability, long warranty, and company not at all afraid to issue a recall to correct issues AND get close to E350 ride/plush feel inside, that is worth checking out.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
+1

I thought OPs question was totally and completely within bounds on a forum like this. MB and BMW are cross shopped as direct competitors by many, so this is within bounds totally in my book.

OP good luck with your choice, but I think you know you are going to end up with the one your wife wants, right? (lol).
ABSOLUTELY Will boil down to what passes her test for comfort and "feel". So am definitely shopping alone for now to try to find some suitable alternatives that I don't mind the price tag.

Sadly we had a new E350 rental last month for a week in Vegas/LA. And it was surprisingly well equipped for a rental. So that didn't help my cause any.....
Old 03-07-2018, 08:15 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Quote:
True - the comparison is flawed from the start pitting a well-equipped E350 vs my 4 series. Not apples to apples and compared to a 5 is probably more "fair" or direct comparison. But, in that regard, the E350 has more of a refined feel to it. In the ride, interior trim detail and materials, cabin sound levels at highway speed, etc. I'm not saying overall it is a better car in every way. But that is her "measuring stick" for what she wants to ride around in. So every vehicle is being compared to a 2009 E350 for overall comfort and pleasurable driving experience. That is her baseline.

She went form that to my 2012 base Hyundai Sonata since she didn't want a MB car payment. She hated it at first since it is horrible in comparison....but she grew to LOVE the gas mileage and $0 maintenance cost. She still drives it, but is desperately trying to hit the mileage on this cadi ATS lease before we turn it in (we took it over from my father when his health went south - we didn't choose that car). She likes the radio sound quality in it and the great night picture backup camera, but otherwise has very little positive to say about it.

Soooooo....looking for something very similar to the interior feel and ride quality (subjective measures 100%) of the E350, but in a smaller 4 cyl vehicle for the fuel economy. Also, since I'm paying for it (and the insurance, annual taxes, etc) I don't really want to be in E350 price range - even @ a couple yrs old.

Plenty of time to find something. 2 drivers, 4 vehicles so not an immediate need. Just casually browse clist and stuff looking for interesting deals to check out. And not knowing anything about some cars at all doesn't help much - like the CLA for example - never been in one even.

I like the genesis suggestion. Our Sonata has 130k or more miles and has never needed anything outside of routine stuff like wiper blades & brake pads. Still seems as good as it was brand new minus typical interior wear from age. So if we can get similar reliability, long warranty, and company not at all afraid to issue a recall to correct issues AND get close to E350 ride/plush feel inside, that is worth checking out.
If you are looking used, a pre-owned Lexus is a good choice quality-wise. An ES350 would be pretty roomy, but, admittedly, would have a cushier ride than the MB -- which may not be a bad thing.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:09 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2011 528i RWD
I Didnt mean to be rude, but the CLA is no Benz. Ití More closely compared To the a3, (2 series not really because thatís RWD)

But the closest competitors are things like a Mazda 6 or Honda Accord which cost the Same with More features.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search