Quick Stop or Chevron Gas ($3 or $3.25) - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 08-19-2007, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: Honda Accord
Question Quick Stop or Chevron Gas ($3 or $3.25)

Greetings,

Pretty soon our famiy will have two BMW's (e90 and e92). Right around the corner of my home is a Quick Stop gas station and they sell premium @ $3 and whereas about 4 miles away is a Chevron which is now selling premium at $3.25. Both the wife and I combined drive for about 40 gallons a week. My wife has TI AG and mine will be a Black Sapphire (will need car wash atleast once a week). So the savings of $10 weekly by buying from Quick Stop would enable me for that weekly car wash.

After writing the above paragraph - I feel as if I am a cheap mofo

Now my question is - Should I put in this Quick Stop Gas or Chevron? Does it make a difference to the engine? (I think Quick Stop does not have their refinaries so they buy from the source which makes most business sense)

Your forthcoming valuable opinion is very much appreciated!
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2007, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto:
dude...you bought a bimmer. no wait, you bought two! treat them right with the good stuff. your engines will appreciate it, and so will you. using the chevron/bp amaco/shell/texaco premium you will get maximum performance (mileage and power). you want to use the stuff with all of the detergents and cleaners to keep them running good and strong for a long time too.

Last edited by Jeremy - BMW; 08-19-2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i Convertible
$10 a week? If you are really that strapped for cash why did you buy TWO $40K plus cars, and at least one being a 335i. Seriously.

Gone but not forgotten:
'96 Z3 '00 Z3 2.8 LCI '03 Z4 3.0
'07 and '11 335i 'verts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2007, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto:
Is it Quick stop or Quick Trip? Major differance as Quick Trip sells top tier gasoline, out performing most big guy gas companies.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:56 AM

heheheheheheh Forget the money ($10K) saving part. For the past 10 years I have been buying 40 gallons of Chevron gas every week - so it comes to almost 5000 USD (I can get a nice pair of foor standing speakers for $5000). I knew I should not have given that reason. But let us keep that aside for a second.

Just out of curiosity - do we have any data that says Chevron/Shell Gas is better than the gas sold by Quik Stop or other small retailers? Can you point me to a thread in this forum.

I know Chevron uses Techron in the gas, but if we use some kind of engine residue cleaner every 3000 Miles will that do the job too?
Old 08-19-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerChuck View Post
Is it Quick stop or Quick Trip? Major differance as Quick Trip sells top tier gasoline, out performing most big guy gas companies.
Quick Stop
Old 08-19-2007, 08:00 AM

By the way - I have been filling up the wife's car with Quik Stop gas for past 3 weeks and yesterday I have noticed milleage go down from 25.2 to 25mpg

Hence all these questions from me....
Old 08-19-2007, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto:
http://www.toptiergas.com/
Old 08-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimalh View Post
Quick Stop
Go Chevron.

http://www.toptiergas.com/
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 08-19-2007, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
There have been a lot of these discussions over the years. Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with the gas at no name places (well, maybe not Billy-Bob's watered down gas). Where do you think no-name stations get there gas? No-name refineries? They get it from the big guys. I've been buying my gas at Costco for years. All my cars have run exactly the same at when I pay 25 cents more per gallon at the name brand places. My wife puts either Costco or tiny no-name in her Infiniti, and it runs fine. I look at it sort of like generic brands. Is there a difference? Not really. I can afford to pay more...but I choose not to.

Just my 2 cents....
Old 08-19-2007, 09:03 AM

All US refineries put their gas in the same pipeline. So in that sense gas is gas, 92 octane is 92 octane. The difference is the additives the various companies put, or don't put in their end product @ the tank farm. That is what you are paying a few pennies more for. There is data that suggests Techroline and other additives used long term do reduce sulfer deposits.

Personally it makes no sense to me to buy a high performance car and then not care what kind of oil, gas, etc, you put in it. Now, if you are leasing your car then different story b/c you won't be driving it in 3 years.

Gone but not forgotten:
'07 and '11 335i 'verts
Old 08-19-2007, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post
Personally it makes no sense to me to buy a high performance car and then not care what kind of oil, gas, etc, you put in it. Now, if you are leasing your car then different story b/c you won't be driving it in 3 years.

It makes no sense to own a high performance car in a country where the highest speed limit is 75 mph.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 435i F33 M Sport Verte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Paul View Post
It makes no sense to own a high performance car in a country where the highest speed limit is 75 mph.
Thanks for rubbing it in.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Greetings,

Now my question is - Should I put in this Quick Stop Gas or Chevron? Does it make a difference to the engine? (I think Quick Stop does not have their refinaries so they buy from the source which makes most business sense)

dont go cheap... you paid 80,000 + (Canadian) for your car, im sure 25cents wont put a hole in ur pocket!! but the quick stop gas will put a hole in ur engine (not literally) but, its not as good for your car as chevron is.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: Yaris (6sp) CC
Quote:
Greetings,

Pretty soon our famiy will have two BMW's (e90 and e92). Right around the corner of my home is a Quick Stop gas station and they sell premium @ $3 and whereas about 4 miles away is a Chevron which is now selling premium at $3.25. Both the wife and I combined drive for about 40 gallons a week. My wife has TI AG and mine will be a Black Sapphire (will need car wash atleast once a week). So the savings of $10 weekly by buying from Quick Stop would enable me for that weekly car wash.

After writing the above paragraph - I feel as if I am a cheap mofo

Trivial, but Titanium is Ti (not TI) and Silver is Ag (not AG).
Old 08-19-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
All US refineries put their gas in the same pipeline. So in that sense gas is gas, 92 octane is 92 octane. The difference is the additives the various companies put, or don't put in their end product @ the tank farm. That is what you are paying a few pennies more for. There is data that suggests Techroline and other additives used long term do reduce sulfer deposits.

I guess if I add my 2 cents again...I will have contributed 4 cents huh

I bought a high performance car, and several others (M cars, etc) in the past. I do care what I put in them. I just don't believe you are getting anything less when you purchase from a non-brand station. The non-brand stations purchase their gas from the big players. It's very unlikely that they make special batches for these sales. My guess is that more often than not, you are getting Techron, V-Power, etc, when you buy from the no-names. Now, I am no expert, so I could be wrong, but I've had absolutely no issues with gas, ever.

Anyway...food for thought....
Old 08-19-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-SD View Post
I guess if I add my 2 cents again...I will have contributed 4 cents huh

I bought a high performance car, and several others (M cars, etc) in the past. I do care what I put in them. I just don't believe you are getting anything less when you purchase from a non-brand station. The non-brand stations purchase their gas from the big players. It's very unlikely that they make special batches for these sales. My guess is that more often than not, you are getting Techron, V-Power, etc, when you buy from the no-names. Now, I am no expert, so I could be wrong, but I've had absolutely no issues with gas, ever.

Anyway...food for thought....

You are right that the unbranded gas you buy COULD be Chevron, Texaco, etc, etc. Many times it is. It just depends on what the least expensive gas or best supply the distributor has that day. Of course that might also be straight gas w/ no additives at all. The point is you don't know. You never know what you are getting. The $2/3 extra isn't going to break me, but it does give me peace of mind. Major Oil cos have certain standards above the gov'ts. Unbranded usually does not.

This whole discussion reminds me of the stories of people who bought these huge mult-million $ homes and then kept the A/C on 80 because they didn't account for utilities cost when they bought. The cost of ownership doesn't end when you give the dealer your check.

Gone but not forgotten:
'07 and '11 335i 'verts
Old 08-20-2007, 02:05 AM

Mein Auto: 335i. 996 Cab
A friend did a long term (3 year) study on mpg vs. gas company on his ride.
Comparing Chevron, Shell, Union76, and "Discounters", like Quik Stop.
There was notable difference in the brand names, with a level of consistency. The "Qwik Stops" performed within 98% of the top performer overall, but did have some variations.
Yes Chevron did come out on top, but by only 2% over the "Discounters". One of the name brands was off by over 10%. So there is a difference - do not ask for names, since this was private study.
I decided to save money and make a consumer statement, so you know who I am using. Who you want to use is up to you.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Move to the East Coast, we are getting 93 at Mobil or Shell for $2.90
Old 08-20-2007, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar View Post
A friend did a long term (3 year) study on mpg vs. gas company on his ride.
Comparing Chevron, Shell, Union76, and "Discounters", like Quik Stop.
There was notable difference in the brand names, with a level of consistency. The "Qwik Stops" performed within 98% of the top performer overall, but did have some variations.
Yes Chevron did come out on top, but by only 2% over the "Discounters". One of the name brands was off by over 10%. So there is a difference - do not ask for names, since this was private study.
I decided to save money and make a consumer statement, so you know who I am using. Who you want to use is up to you.
I don't believe that test at all!
Old 08-20-2007, 06:29 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: 2015 Golf R
Quote:
You are right that the unbranded gas you buy COULD be Chevron, Texaco, etc, etc. Many times it is.
In the San Francisco area, gas will come from one of the 5 refineries located here. This area exports gas and does not import any. The 5 are Valero, ConocoPhillips (76), Tesoro, Shell, and Chevron. My guess would be that a lot of the unbranded gas comes from Tesoro as they have virtually no retail presence in Northern California.

(to the OP, all you need for that weekly wash is 2 buckets - hey, you're the one who bought a black car - and a hose)
Old 08-20-2007, 10:28 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Paul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcar View Post
Thanks for rubbing it in.
We're up to 80 in parts of Texas!

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto:
Very good.. I have a Conoco near me and it always has better prices than the Cheveron. I see that it is a top-tier retailer. I fill my current car up there and will be sure to fill my E92 there when it arrives!
Old 08-20-2007, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 07 335i Sedan (Mieke)
Chevron all the way! And the fact that I have worked for them for the past 24 years I do know that the Techron additive is the best cleaning additive on the market. Yes Chevron is usually 2 to 4 cents more per gallon, but that's because people will pay extra for quality. The same reason we buy BMW's as well.

2011 1M
Aug 8th ED
MADA drop off 8/18/11
Arrived at Port 9/21/11
Re-Delivery 10/10/11

07 335i Sedan
May 4th ED
MADA drop off 5/11/07
Arrived at Port 6/11/07
Re-delivery 6/27/07

04 330i ZHP
11 Mini Cooper Clubman S Hampton Package
72 BMWtii drove till dead - Remains one of the best cars I have ever owned
Old 08-20-2007, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto:
would it be a problem if, lets say, i switch between 91 octane- 93 octane... would the car prefer to have only 1 type of octane in its engine throughout its life.. or is it okay to use different kinds

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search