328i or 328d? - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:53 PM
BJB

Mein Auto: 328 XD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew424 View Post
i'm sure they do but I also dont want to stand in a long line at the NJ turnpike stations and pay 10+ cents/more a gallon for gasoline since i am using a credit card, not to mention inflated prices due to the location of the station. or get some excuse that they're out of premium fuel.

so i prefer to fill up at the exxon near my apartment where cash/credit is the same, and never had an issue with getting premium gas, or a 30 minute wait.
from what I can tell, about 1/3 of the service stations in northern NJ have diesel so you don't have to go to truck stops for fuel. If you use BMW connect app in car, you can find diesel stations by price (or distance)
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Well I did it. I picked up my 328d this afternoon and drove back the 200 +/- miles home with a grin on my face. I'm wiped but will update my profile with pics and post more later.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 328 X-Drive
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadrid View Post
Well I did it. I picked up my 328d this afternoon and drove back the 200 +/- miles home with a grin on my face. I'm wiped but will update my profile with pics and post more later.

Congrats!
Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew424 View Post
i'm sure they do but I also dont want to stand in a long line at the NJ turnpike stations and pay 10+ cents/more a gallon for gasoline since i am using a credit card, not to mention inflated prices due to the location of the station. or get some excuse that they're out of premium fuel.

so i prefer to fill up at the exxon near my apartment where cash/credit is the same, and never had an issue with getting premium gas, or a 30 minute wait.
Yes--but I was responding to a post that was concerned about finding diesel fuel when traveling on I-95, which is the Turnpike. I can't imagine finding diesel off the Turnpike is difficult either.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 08-03-2015, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by amadrid View Post
Congrats, I think you made the right choice!

Do you mind posting the features/options you got and the price + tax that you paid in your state? Appreciate the help.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 320i ZSP ZMT
Don't know about east coast but out here in Seattle, all stations sell diesel.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
Now that I'm on my third diesel I just have this quick bit of advice...diesels are meant for the Interstate.They're not meant for errands,short trips to the office or stop-and-go driving.About 90% of my miles are at 70mph...and I love my "d".I don't like it on those rare occasions when I'm in heavy traffic.
When I was considering a diesel E-Class Benz a few years ago (a 2009 model, not one from the 1980s!), my regular independent mechanic warned me of exactly this. Nearly 65% of my driving is city, so I crossed diesels off my list for now, and never thought about one when I started looking at BMW.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:46 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfus Aurelius View Post
When I was considering a diesel E-Class Benz a few years ago (a 2009 model, not one from the 1980s!), my regular independent mechanic warned me of exactly this. Nearly 65% of my driving is city, so I crossed diesels off my list for now, and never thought about one when I started looking at BMW.
You are replying to a 4-year old post.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 04-27-2019, 04:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 3 Series Wagon F31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
You are replying to a 4-year old post.

You are replying to a reply to a 4-year old post.

All in fun, but donít understand why people mind when relevant information is added to an existing thread. The original poster may not benefit from the new post, but others may benefit from it.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Are you saying diesel engines are meant for the interstate and will fail prematurely if used otherwise?

That would mean repair shops are cluttered with dead diesel engines from taxis, local delivery (UPS, etc.) trucks, repair trucks and all manner of other vehicles that provide local services. I haven't heard of that happening.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
Are you saying diesel engines are meant for the interstate and will fail prematurely if used otherwise?

That would mean repair shops are cluttered with dead diesel engines from taxis, local delivery (UPS, etc.) trucks, repair trucks and all manner of other vehicles that provide local services. I haven't heard of that happening.
No, not dead diesel engines, but my mechanic suggested that they may require more frequent maintenance to keep in tip-top shape. He's always tried to *save* me money, so I listen.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
No, not dead diesel engines, but my mechanic suggested that they may require more frequent maintenance to keep in tip-top shape. He's always tried to *save* me money, so I listen.
I love details. What kinds of more frequent maintenance for diesel over gasoline engines?
That would be surprising given the number of vehicles with diesel engines in daily urban service. And needlessly expensive.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:55 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustGofaster View Post
You are replying to a reply to a 4-year old post.

All in fun, but don't understand why people mind when relevant information is added to an existing thread. The original poster may not benefit from the new post, but others may benefit from it.
Because then you get people seeing what they think is a "new" thread, and not checking the dates of the first posts, and replying to old posts.

I'm not saying that there's never a need to bump an old thread. Personally, I don't see the point here in a thread where the OP was trying to decide between a 328i or a 328d 4 years ago. YMMV

Last edited by tex2670; 05-01-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I love details. What kinds of more frequent maintenance for diesel over gasoline engines?
That would be surprising given the number of vehicles with diesel engines in daily urban service. And needlessly expensive.
I'm sure I don't know. You could ask listerone, whom I quoted, if he's still here. Perhaps something to do with buildup of byproducts, the kind of thing dispersed with high-speed runs? Or perhaps it was just that my mechanic dislikes working on them for whatever reason. At the time he mentioned this to me, diesel locally was more expensive than premium gas, so I shrugged and took his advice.

If it's not true -- say, for someone who runs about 9-10,000 miles a year, 65% city driving -- then I'd be glad to consider a diesel next time. I liked the E-Class diesel I was considering, it had lots of low-end torque (as diesels do), and it was from an era before you had to add special fluids to the system.

Last edited by Wolfus Aurelius; 05-01-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:
Or perhaps it was just that my mechanic dislikes working on them for whatever reason. At the time he mentioned this to me, diesel locally was more expensive than premium gas, so I shrugged and took his advice.
I bought first diesel here in 2006 and had to give it up (diesel fuel, different car) in February of 2017. I would have never done that if I didn't get sick and tired of witch hunts, hypocrisy and corruption. I think your mechanic just doesn't like (or doesn't know) working on them.

My first choice for your driving pattern (10kmiles/year, 65% city) would be by far, far, far an EV. Then a long nothingness until the second place where there would be a turbodiesel. Then there would be NA gasoline engine. Then turbocharged gasoline engine. Then a hybrid. Then NA diesel engine. Then oxcart - meaning, NA diesels are SO bad, that they just might be slightly better than an oxcart. But that is just my opinion, nothing more.

Where your mechanic is correct is the fact that diesels do necessitate* sustained WOT when hot from time to time (say, once every 3-4 months) to clean up the soot from exhaust line. How hard is that to do?

EDIT: * - maybe the new urea-needing ones do not, can't say for sure. I do know that VW cheating diesels did benefit from that and especially so those before 2007 regulation.

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]

Last edited by Mark K; 05-01-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
I think your mechanic just doesn't like (or doesn't know) working on them. . . .

My first choice for your driving pattern (10kmiles/year, 65% city) would be by far, far, far an EV. Then a long nothingness until the second place where there would be a turbodiesel. Then there would be NA gasoline engine. Then turbocharged gasoline engine. Then a hybrid. Then NA diesel engine. Then oxcart - meaning, NA diesels are SO bad, that they just might be slightly better than an oxcart. But that is just my opinion, nothing more.

Where your mechanic is correct is the fact that diesels do necessitate* sustained WOT when hot from time to time (say, once every 3-4 months) to clean up the soot from exhaust line. How hard is that to do? . . .
Mark, he knows the cars. He's been in the business for more than 20 years. He may not like working on them, yes. He probably sees mostly diesels whose owners have not done some sustained WOT every few months, and they bring the cars in complaining that "It's not running right."

An EV? Where would I plug it in? I live in an apartment complex. A modern turbodiesel would be great for fuel costs -- but as it happens, even if I had been inclined to go for a 320d, the local dealer rarely gets one in. Like light-colored interiors, they are fairly thin on the ground here.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:
A modern turbodiesel would be great for fuel costs -- but as it happens, even if I had been inclined to go for a 320d, the local dealer rarely gets one in. Like light-colored interiors, they are fairly thin on the ground here.
Well, that's too bad. I had BMW's N47 (I believe) 420d GC for a week in EU and I enjoyed thoroughly every single mile with it - be it local road drag in traffic or Autobahn. VW's TDI is not bad at all, but N47 is on a different plane of existence. It might have been worth it to travel way out of where you live to get the car and bring it home. Maybe for the next time

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 05-02-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I'm sure I don't know. You could ask listerone, whom I quoted, if he's still here. Perhaps something to do with buildup of byproducts, the kind of thing dispersed with high-speed runs? Or perhaps it was just that my mechanic dislikes working on them for whatever reason. At the time he mentioned this to me, diesel locally was more expensive than premium gas, so I shrugged and took his advice.

If it's not true -- say, for someone who runs about 9-10,000 miles a year, 65% city driving -- then I'd be glad to consider a diesel next time. I liked the E-Class diesel I was considering, it had lots of low-end torque (as diesels do), and it was from an era before you had to add special fluids to the system.
That's the problem with threads like this. An off hand comment gets passed on as definitive truth and becomes the basis for making serious purchase decisions.
My experience as someone who owned a diesel powered car for several years is as follows:
1. They do get good mileage. However the gap between diesel and gasoline powered cars has narrowed considerably. The n20 in my 328i does such a good job that I would not consider a diesel powered BMW.
2. Diesel engine maintenance and repair differs from but costs about the same as for gasoline powered engines over the long term.
3. Diesel fuel can cost more than the highest grade of gasoline depending on the time of year.
4. One pays a premium for a diesel powered car.
5. If I was really looking to minimize fuel consumption I would go for a hybrid or all electric car. Not a diesel.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
That's the problem with threads like this. An off hand comment gets passed on as definitive truth and becomes the basis for making serious purchase decisions.
My experience as someone who owned a diesel powered car for several years is as follows:
1. They do get good mileage. However the gap between diesel and gasoline powered cars has narrowed considerably. The n20 in my 328i does such a good job that I would not consider a diesel powered BMW.
2. Diesel engine maintenance and repair differs from but costs about the same as for gasoline powered engines over the long term.
3. Diesel fuel can cost more than the highest grade of gasoline depending on the time of year.
4. One pays a premium for a diesel powered car.
5. If I was really looking to minimize fuel consumption I would go for a hybrid or all electric car. Not a diesel.
You're right. I'm continually astonished at how the 328i, a fairly heavy car with 245 hp, can beat *every car I've ever owned* at the mpg game, including a 4-cylinder Buick and a 4-cylinder C-Class. I'm seeing 26-28 mpg on a regular basis, with a lot of city driving.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:49 AM
Oil Burners Rule!

Mein Auto: 2018 540d
Just stumbled upon this thread and saw my name mentioned by "Wolfus". It looks like the basic topic of discussion is diesel engine reliability. My love for diesels is based mainly on their torque,their range and their performance on the Interstate,where I rack up about 90% of my miles.

As far as reliability is concerned the only repair issues I've ever had with my four diesels (BMW and MB) are electronics issues and DEF delivery system issues. No issues at all with the engines.

As for overall costs,which I've also see mentioned,I've never seen my diesels in terms of saving $$$. They've all cost more than the gasoline equivalent and the fuels costs are,I assume,only a bit lower (per mile) than they'd be with Premium. In my neck of the woods diesel costs about the same as "Mid Grade" during the summer and about the same as "Premium" in winter.

Diesels are *perfect* for my kind of driving,despite any cost difference that might exist.However,it's easy for me to see that diesels aren't well suited for everyone,particularly those suburbanites who routinely drive 5 miles to the office,2 miles to the supermarket and 1.5 miles to soccer games.

Just my $0.02 worth....
Formerly: 2009 335d / Monaco Blue

Fuelly
Old 05-09-2019, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Diesels lost an edge the moment turbo gasoline engines became reliable and efficient enough.
However, what was detrimental to diesels is SCR system. There is too much complexity to justify it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2019, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 328d
Quote:
I drove a 2014 328d for 3.5 years, most commute are within 10KM or even 5KM(4 times a day). I've returned to the dealer 3 times in the past because of the O2 sensor fail. They suggest me to drive at least once a week on highway which I found it helped. I feel like this car more than before especially from 3rd year. Test drive 320, 340, don't like them.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by garconcn View Post
I've returned to the dealer 3 times in the past because of the O2 sensor fail.
Abnormal.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
328d, 328i, diesel

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search