BMW 328IX Mixture Control: fuel-air mixture too lean - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 328IX
BMW 328IX Mixture Control: fuel-air mixture too lean

Hi guys

I have F30 328IX Sedan. And i have an engine check light that i cannot fix.
It is Mixture Control: fuel-air mixture too lean (BMW fault code 118001) and it only appers when you try to move (then you just started your car put it on a drive and begin to move). This fault first came around then i changed my injectors and spark plugs. I checked car for air leaks, i looked into fuel cap, i changed O2 sensors but no luck. There is nothing wrong with the car it drives like it should but that engine light really annoys me.

Maybe some of you have some advice?

Sorry for my English and greetings from Lithuania
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2016, 10:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 428i Xdrive GC
How is the fuel pressure? Bad pump could lean it out?
Old 02-05-2016, 12:18 AM

As i recall last time i checked it was fine. And i think it should be another fault if it was fuel pressure. Also it should run poorly. I also changes intake hoose cause it had some small holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 05:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyroLt View Post
As i recall last time i checked it was fine. And i think it should be another fault if it was fuel pressure. Also it should run poorly. I also changes intake hoose cause it had some small holes.

Did you ever find out what it it was?

SUP!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:31 AM

No, i will try to check evap system on friday. My friend has the same problem, he had changed all the hoses, and yesterday he changed some of evap system components so i am waiting news from him.

Do you have the same problem?
Old 01-06-2017, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xdriv
same problem

I have the same problem, I am a mechanic but since I bought tho car less than 30 days ago I am not the one troubleshooting it.
-So far they have smoked it, found nothing.
-changed the valve cover(per the dealerships direction) no change
-changed o2 sensors, no change
Now they want to change the injectors. Has anyone figured this out yet? If I was troubleshooting it, I would look for an air leak after the mass air flow sensor, then check the fuel pressure. There is a fuel pump in the tank and a high pressure one that that rides on the cam shaft. I don't understand their troubleshooting.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 5 Series BMW
Hey guys , your help is appreciated ... SAME problem. Dealer smoked, no leaks and still waiting after 2days at the mechanic and 2 days at the dealership and no word from them... SOOO concerned . anybody had this sorted out PLEASE????
Old 01-27-2018, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: f30
where is problem mixture too learn ? oxygen sensor ok air flow ok whats is ****?
Old 01-27-2018, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: f30
need help
Old 02-17-2018, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 335i xdrive
I'm in the same boat here, I've tried everything and I cannot get the lean code to go away and below 40 degrees it starts and wants to stall. I have smoke tested, pressure tested, removed downpipe to check for clogged cat, cleaned O2, replaced O2 (upstream), adjusted wastegate actuator, did a complete DME reset(inpa), reset adaptions multiple times, cleaned maf and boost pressure sensor, changed plugs, and checked coils. At my Wit's End as this is my wife's car and these problems are all after having a shop replace the motor from the infamous timing chain failure. I did love this N20 motor but now I hate it! If anybody has any input it would greatly be appreciated. The only thing that I haven't tried is a software update at the dealer which would add another $155 to my $8,000 total. I thought I read somewhere newer injector's had a part number change and maybe the older software doesn't recognize them? Which may make sense since I didn't have a lean code would be previous original injectors. I hope this helps or somebody comes up with something I've been a mechanic that's worked on European cars and done custom turbo installs and lite tuning for close to 15 years and this is a mindboggler! Also, does anybody have a software download link for the most current version of inpa I believe I'm using 5.06 plus it's all in German which is a complete nightmare using Google Translate to read in frigid weather of the northeast! This is my first post what I Whopper!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 02-17-2018, 10:24 AM

So many things I forgot to add that I also did a compression test on All 4 cylinders and I have a ticking that starts around 2000 to 2500 rpm I'm assuming it's maybe the Vanos solenoids?

Old 03-04-2018, 07:34 AM

Update on this in case anybody is chasing the same Gremlins. I finally bit the bullet and paid $154 for diag fee to BMW. It passed all the tests except for smoke test or they said I had a warped valve cover and the oil cap was leaking. I haven't tried to loosen and retorque the valve cover which is a 50-50 chance of working but I bent the spring tabs on the oil cap(super tight seal now), cleaned and flipped the rubber seal and still have lean code as of now.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 428i
I'm having the same issue following my Engine transplant. Dreading it could be the fuel pumps but that would be one hell of a coincidence to add on to my string of bad luck. In my case I also had to buy a brand new ecu due to water ingress. My 428i starts and after about 10 seconds the engine malfunction light comes on then idles fine after an initial misfire. It drives okay in low revs though..will try a few things and update..
Old 04-19-2018, 12:25 PM

Wow, that's interesting. Thanks for responding. Did the injectors seat differently resulting in a leak or something? Did yours misfire at all on low revs as mine does not. What other symptoms did you have? Are the part numbers different via real oem? Many thanks.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:17 AM

If you read the whole thread starting from the first page you can see the issues that I was chasing all stemming from an initial lean code p0171. In my case the shop that did my motor swap use the injectors from my original motor because they were concerned about the injectors that came with the donor motor being corroded essentially from sitting. I believe there's three different part numbers and the messed up part is they all look pretty much exactly the same. Did the shop that put your motor in code the injectors, also what cold are you getting when you scan it?

Old 04-23-2018, 04:10 PM

DME 11A002 - Fuel high pressure, plausibility: Pressure too low
Fault Description: Diagnosis monitors the high pressure fuel system. Fault Monitoring Conditions: The fault is recognized when the rail pressure is below the setpoint value

I'm using ista+ to diagnose. Car misfires on start then runs okay once the engine light illuminates,maintaining idle speed of about 1000rpm. Engine light comes on in about 5-10 seconds all the time. Car then drives but will not go beyond 4000 rpm. I've checked the obvious. Any idea what the rail pressure should be at idle? I'm getting Rail Preassure 0.83 MPa at idle and under rail preassure setpoimt value I have 7.02MPa at same speed. Yes I re-coded the injectors using the ista service function thanks to you. I hadn't done so then but no difference with regards to the issue though. Do I need to code/adapt anything else.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto:

limpieza del cuerpo de aceleración, MAF y cambio de filtro de aire...

SL2

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search