330e tuning? - Page 6 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330e
Hi All,

Quite a long post but I thought I would give you my review on the Ventura Tuning Chip. I'll firstly start with my car modding history, 2 1 series 120D & 125D's both of which had spider performance chips and custom DPF back exhausts.

When I purchased my 330e I always planned on tuning it as I believe it is the perfect car for it, stealthy, tranquil and classy whilst on e-drive and strong undertuned engine with the 3 series driving pedigree.

So I looked at the various options for the 330e being the JB4 and Ventura, whilst I like some of the features of the JB4 such as canflap control, dash controls and others, I felt the power increase wasn't quite enough. Then there is the Ventura, not quite so feature rich but massively better on the performance gains, plus Ventura have proven experience with the 330e.

Ventura as a company to deal with, from an English mans POV, firstly their website isn't the greatest but Goggle translate allowed me to research what I needed to know and they reply to emails very quickly and also spoke great English on the phone. Ordering felt a little dodgy as they requested a direct bank transfer rather than CC or Paypal payment which concerned me a little but we resolved it in the end.

So after ordering the chip on Wednesday last week I took Delivery on Tuesday this week so very fast turn around.

Packaging is very plain with no branding and instruction guide is very simple. The chip looks extremely well made so does the cabling, I expected to see some nice logos but the chip is completely unbranded. Install took me literally 5 minutes.

Now then, to the gains. The Chip arrives on Map 5 and the power increase is definitely impressive but didn't feel quite 314HP as quoted on Ventura website so I dropped them an email and received an instant response telling me I need to be on Map 6 and using 98RON fuel, so I changed the setting to 6 and WOW the car is so fast now, sounds amazing and the kick you get when flooring it is just unreal.

Early days but know warning lights yet, have some long journeys next week so will see how it affects MPG etc.

Sorry it was long but I haven't found a full review out there for Ventura.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 06:29 AM

Thanks for the review, sounds promising! Wonder what the hp output is on map 5. I was planning to stay on 95 octane, since 98 is quite a bit more expensive at least over here.

Can you change the map without unplugging it?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:34 AM

I'm not sure about the power output on Map 5, still quick but nothing like 6. You can also change the jumper which affects peak power points.

98Ron is more expensive here to but then its an expensive car so worth it IMO. i run on Shell VPower but Ventura said they prefer BP ultimate in Holland. from what i have read, the new Vpower released last month in the UK is now 99Ron.

changing the maps is really easy, with the doors locked and bonnet up just undo the 4 screws on the chip and you will see a selector switch, change to 6 and then reverse the process, job done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2017, 07:19 AM

Hi SC07TVV, thank you for the review. I am glad seeing that you share the same fun as me with the Venture tuning :-). I agree, the power is indeed impressive.

I like it most when doing 100 km/h and then give full throttle. The push in the back seems to go on forever and before you know it you will drive 170 km/h. When doing this, I sometimes have the feeling that the car accelerate fastest when driving in 'comfort mode' and the automatic gearbox put in 'sport mode'. It than shift down two gears and then if really accelerates brutally.

The 0-100km/h is fast when driving in sport mode, switch on dynamic traction control, put gears in sport mode, hit the break and increase the revs to about 2000 rpm. Then full throttle and release breaks. This is probably not too good for the car so I do not do this too often. Just put it on sport mode, gears in sport mode and activate dynamic control gives already a good acceleration too.

Your MPG will not be better purely due to using the engine to the max is too tempting.

Have fun!
Old 05-21-2017, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC07TVV View Post
I'm not sure about the power output on Map 5, still quick but nothing like 6. You can also change the jumper which affects peak power points.

98Ron is more expensive here to but then its an expensive car so worth it IMO. i run on Shell VPower but Ventura said they prefer BP ultimate in Holland. from what i have read, the new Vpower released last month in the UK is now 99Ron.

changing the maps is really easy, with the doors locked and bonnet up just undo the 4 screws on the chip and you will see a selector switch, change to 6 and then reverse the process, job done.
So what are you thinking about the intake now? And did you ask Ventura tuning about it?
Old 05-21-2017, 03:30 AM

I have cancelled the order. Don't think it's really worth it, may drill the bottom side of air box to deep the intake roar a little but car sounds pretty sweet on Map 6 anyway.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:14 AM

Quote:
I have cancelled the order. Don't think it's really worth it, may drill the bottom side of air box to deep the intake roar a little but car sounds pretty sweet on Map 6 anyway.
Ok, I have decided to remove/delete the mid-muffler (the one under the car, not the largest/rear one) to get a bit more sound. Will be interesting to see how that works out.

Starting from the engine, the 330e has:
  • Catalytic converter
  • Small muffler
  • Resonator
  • Rear muffler

So I'm going to replace the small muffler with a straight pipe.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Now then, to the gains. The Chip arrives on Map 5 and the power increase is definitely impressive but didn't feel quite 314HP as quoted on Ventura website so I dropped them an email and received an instant response telling me I need to be on Map 6 and using 98RON fuel, so I changed the setting to 6 and WOW the car is so fast now, sounds amazing and the kick you get when flooring it is just unreal.
Still haven't got mine, some sort of delay in the delivery..

While I'm waiting: Just curious, you say it "sounds amazing", can you elaborate on how the sound is different?
Old 05-25-2017, 11:12 AM

The only thing I can put it down to is that the Turbo is working harder and therefore more air is being drawn in?? Definitely sounds meatier
Old 05-26-2017, 04:11 AM

Slightly off-topic but kiiiinda about tuning the 330e and since I mentioned it earlier on, posted here about my exhaust mod (that I've now done): https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1#post10173571
Old 05-27-2017, 04:40 AM

Finally received the ventura tuning box!

Also did the "golf tee mod" (locked the valve in the exhaust in open mode), which combined with the muffler I removed yesterday contributed to a quite nice idle / cruise sound Still no drone or anything at highway speeds. Practically can't hear the engine at all at 60-70mph.

Soo, the ventura: Installation went relatively painless. I managed to drop the clips to one of the connectors and spent maybe 15 minutes to retreive it from the engine room. Actual installation time was probably more like 5 minutes.

It's a Saturday and lots of traffic, but went on a 30 minute spin to test it out. I have not changed the default settings and running on 95 octane, so I assume it's not in max yet. The change was still very noticable and the suction sound from the turbo was also louder.

Due to traffic I wasn't able to test acceleration except from a few quite short runs, but what I did test with a very satisfying result was a couple of power slides Getting the car sideways is now significantly easier than before. Gradually increasing throttle at the apex of a corner in the dry now simply breaks out the rear into a smooth and wide slide while the tires are howling - I like! This is what I was hoping would be possible with the 330e, and now it is!

I'm no professional in any way, but I used to own a tuned Nissan 240sx (euro-spec with a 2.0l turbo SR20DET running around 300+bhp and a LSD) around 10 years ago, so I have some experience with the occasional drift Going sideways in the 330e certainly brings back memories from that time, and the eLSD works surprisingly well.

I might consider adjusting the ventura box and moving up to 98 octane in a while, but based on my short run so far, this tune feels quite right for the car.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:50 AM

Update: I've now got a check engine light. Not sure if this due to the ventura box or something else (I've also removed a muffler + done "golf tee mod" where I removed the spring on the exhaust valve to leave it permanently open in the last couple of days). Need to get a hold of a diagnostic tool to find out what error code has been thrown.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: F30 330e M Sport
Hi All,

I'm currently driving E60 525 LCI and will trade it in for 330e M Sport within a month. This post is really informative! Thanks to all!
Old 05-31-2017, 07:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbug1009 View Post
Hi All,

I'm currently driving E60 525 LCI and will trade it in for 330e M Sport within a month. This post is really informative! Thanks to all!
With or without a tune, you will love the car. Make sure you get the option that includes bmw connect as you can get some very hot weather in Thailand and the ability to turn your AC on remotely with a phone app is a great feature.

The other feature I would not do without, now that I have had it for nine months, is the HUD. Not only does it let you keep your eyes on the windshield/road but it even gives better info than the dashboard lcd does.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
With or without a tune, you will love the car. Make sure you get the option that includes bmw connect as you can get some very hot weather in Thailand and the ability to turn your AC on remotely with a phone app is a great feature.

The other feature I would not do without, now that I have had it for nine months, is the HUD. Not only does it let you keep your eyes on the windshield/road but it even gives better info than the dashboard lcd does.

Agreed. Before buying the car I didn't see the HUD as a must have feature, but now that I have it, I really enjoy it!
Old 05-31-2017, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: F30 330e M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrorain View Post
Agreed. Before buying the car I didn't see the HUD as a must have feature, but now that I have it, I really enjoy it!
Quote:

Thanks SteveinArizona and macrorain for your inputs! I plan to drive it for a year or so before considering the engine tuning but its good to know engine tuning is possible. In Thailand, BMW buyer is not able to choose options. For example, 330e is available in Luxury or M Sport line. Each type has fixed options and a fixed retail price.

Unfortunately, I'm sure 330e does not have HUD in its option but I think/hope it has bmw connect.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:41 PM

If the package doesn't have HUD it does not look like something you can reasonable retrofit. Projector has to go in the dash and a special windshield is needed. Good luck and I am sure you will enjoy the car. Even without a tune it goes very quickly, especially because of the high torque provided by the electric motor.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 330e, X3 M40i, i3
Quote:
Make sure you get the option that includes bmw connect as you can get some very hot weather in Thailand and the ability to turn your AC on remotely with a phone app is a great feature.
There is a button on my key fob that will turn on the AC. Love it on hot days. Easier to use than phone app.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 40e
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc68z28 View Post
There is a button on my key fob that will turn on the AC. Love it on hot days. Easier to use than phone app.
Of course, from the app, you can warm up your car in airport parking while your plane is still taxiing to the gate.

Or, in your case, cool it off.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 330e, X3 M40i, i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinacar View Post
Of course, from the app, you can warm up your car in airport parking while your plane is still taxiing to the gate.

Or, in your case, cool it off.
Right, I use the app if I'm out of the key fob range... but usually find myself pushing the button as I'm exiting the store, then by the time I've loaded the groceries it's cooled off inside.

---Bill.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:16 AM
electrified

Mein Auto: 330e -17
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrorain View Post
Update: I've now got a check engine light. Not sure if this due to the ventura box or something else (I've also removed a muffler + done "golf tee mod" where I removed the spring on the exhaust valve to leave it permanently open in the last couple of days). Need to get a hold of a diagnostic tool to find out what error code has been thrown.
That's interesting, i've been wanting to buy the ventura box and was worried that this was going to happen! Please let it be the exhaust and not the tuning box, because i want one!
Old 06-01-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc68z28 View Post
Right, I use the app if I'm out of the key fob range... but usually find myself pushing the button as I'm exiting the store, then by the time I've loaded the groceries it's cooled off inside.

---Bill.
But in Phoenix with summer temperatures well north of 100 degrees Fahrenheit, more cooling time is needed. So I usually use the phone app after leaving the 17th green. I also leave the moon roof cracked open to let the hot air rise and leave the car.

So in very hot or very cold climates, a longer heat/AC time is needed.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarvin View Post
That's interesting, i've been wanting to buy the ventura box and was worried that this was going to happen! Please let it be the exhaust and not the tuning box, because i want one!
Finally got the Carly diagnostics adapter. The fault was "121202 Boost pressure sensor, plausibility caster: Pressure too low".

No surprise that it's a code that almost noone else in the world has got, so wasn't able to find much about it on google. I found one who had the same fault code but where the message indicated that it was a ground/circuit-problem. So electrical related. But "pressure too low" sounds more like a boost pressure problem, so I don't know.

I cleared the code, which caused the check engine light to go away, but when rechecking with Carly, the fault code is still there. My wife is out driving now, so I'll check again to see if there is any change when she's back. I haven't tried removing the ventura box yet.

I've emailed Ventura for advice, hopefully they have some insight.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:52 AM

So, did some more testing:

* Initial state after a couple of days with the ventura box was that I received a Check Engine Light, that were constantly on while driving.
* After connecting Carly to diagnose, I got 121202. When I reset the code with Carly, the Check Engine Light disappeared, but when running diagnostics again, the code 121202 was still reported.
* I went for a drive, the 121202 was still there afterwards, but still no Check Engine Light.
* I then removed the ventura box. This caused the 121202 to disappear, and Carly reported no engine errors.
* I then re-connected the ventura box, and re-run diagnostics, still no errors.
* I went for a drive about 20 minutes, some throttle but not maximum. When I re-run diagnostics after the drive, the 121202-error was back again, but still no Check Engine Light.

Based on the above it looks like the Ventura box (or something it does) is causing this error code. I don't know yet if the Check Engine Light will return, but it is possible it will get on again if it gets this error for a long time.

Not sure what to think of all this since I don't know exactly what the error code means. I've mailed all this to Ventura and asked for advice.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:04 AM

To be a bit more precise: I didn't unplug the entire ventura box to get the error code to disappear, just the harness named "turbo pressure 1", so it's apparently related to that sensor, whatever it does.

My gut feeling at the moment is that some sensor is overreacting to the changes made by the box, not necessarily an actual problem. The car runs just fine. I got several quick replies from Ventura yesterday (on a Saturday evening!), but we haven't figured out exactly what the problem is yet.

I'm considering to unplug the entire thing and go for a drive to verify that the error code isn't popping even without the box (in which case it could indicate a faulty sensor somewhere).

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
330e, stage 1, tuning

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search