330e tuning? - Page 7 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330e
New update:

So, to summarise my car is actually running fine (I was literally scared by the acceleration while testing a 0-100 on a narrow, slightly slippy road earlier today), but it's throwing an error code that neither me nor Ventura Tuning is able to figure out.

They have now offered me to send the box back, while they will test a new unit on a 330e that they have available for four days before shipping it to me. They will also pay for return shipping. I have accepted this offer.

Ventura tuning has been very responsive on email, and the above offer is of course very good. So my overall impression is still that both the box is working and that Ventura is a solid company. And no, they have not asked me to write this, I just want to emphasise that I'm simply reporting what is happening, not trying to talk them or the product down in any way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 04:52 AM
electrified

Mein Auto: 330e -17
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrorain View Post
New update:

So, to summarise my car is actually running fine (I was literally scared by the acceleration while testing a 0-100 on a narrow, slightly slippy road earlier today), but it's throwing an error code that neither me nor Ventura Tuning is able to figure out.

They have now offered me to send the box back, while they will test a new unit on a 330e that they have available for four days before shipping it to me. They will also pay for return shipping. I have accepted this offer.

Ventura tuning has been very responsive on email, and the above offer is of course very good. So my overall impression is still that both the box is working and that Ventura is a solid company. And no, they have not asked me to write this, I just want to emphasise that I'm simply reporting what is happening, not trying to talk them or the product down in any way.
Thank you for the updates, i really appriciate them! I wonder if all cars throw this code, the hidden one with don't light up on the dash?

Are you screwed now warranty wise? Or can you remove the codes from your system altogether?
Old 06-13-2017, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: F30 330e M Sport
Sorry for interrupting guys but I have something that 330e owners can help me out. I just received my 330e today and I was not able to select Max eDrive. The idrive screen shows "MAX eDrive not available:System request". The battery is at 90%. Therefore, I can only select AUTO eDrive or Save Battery mode. When starting the car, the engine kick in immediately and stays on even when idle. Its quite a disappointment to see this happen to a brand new car. I called BMW and they said probably have to reprogram the software. Anyone encounter this situation? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 09:35 AM
electrified

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbug1009 View Post
Sorry for interrupting guys but I have something that 330e owners can help me out. I just received my 330e today and I was not able to select Max eDrive. The idrive screen shows "MAX eDrive not available:System request". The battery is at 90%. Therefore, I can only select AUTO eDrive or Save Battery mode. When starting the car, the engine kick in immediately and stays on even when idle. Its quite a disappointment to see this happen to a brand new car. I called BMW and they said probably have to reprogram the software. Anyone encounter this situation? Thanks in advance!
I'd say just take it back to the dealership asap. I had that once but it was -20c outside, and once the batteries had warmed up it allowed me to choose max edrive. Could it be due to the heat in Thailand? Let it sit in a cold garage or shade and try it out afterwards?
Old 06-13-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarvin View Post
Thank you for the updates, i really appriciate them! I wonder if all cars throw this code, the hidden one with don't light up on the dash?

Are you screwed now warranty wise? Or can you remove the codes from your system altogether?
I were able to remove the codes with Carly, so no worries there. Currently I have no registered errors related to the engine. And even if I wasn't able to remove it, an engine error code doesn't automatically mean your warranty is void.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:02 AM
electrified

Quote:
I were able to remove the codes with Carly, so no worries there. Currently I have no registered errors related to the engine. And even if I wasn't able to remove it, an engine error code doesn't automatically mean your warranty is void.
Well, you're correct on that point.

...my fingers are itching
Old 06-13-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Well, you're correct on that point.

...my fingers are itching
According to Venturatuning they have been tuning many 330e's all the way back from when they were first released without any problems, so I'd go for it! Perhaps I was unlucky and got a device with bad connections or something, I don't know.

Either way, if you start modifying these cars it looks like it may be a good idea to invest in Carly or some other diagnostics tool, since these cars throw errors left and right. I had a number of other smaller errors as well. Example: Even just unscrewing cap for the cooling fluid throws an error. It's probably a bit imprecise to call them error codes, it's more like information codes, where some of them indicate an error.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:33 AM

Mein Auto: E60 525i LCi
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbug1009 View Post
Sad to know that, however, this is how i took delivery of my 330e as well last July. When the dealership was prepping the car for delivery they saw that the edrive was not able to activate, they had the car diagnosed remotely even by people from Germany, however, they could not find any issue. The delivery was even rescheduled for the next day. The dealership told me that they heard about this with another car, and after the guy drove it for around 200km the edrive can back online. So, the next day I kept driving it and indeed the edrive was online around 200 km. My guess is that as they disable edrive before shipping from the factory, the car needs to talk to the connected drive to reenable it, and when I took delivery connected drive was offline. When the edrive can back online I also saw my connected drive was online, I could use all remote services.

At the end it is upto you to decide what you want to do with it. However, I recommend to ensure that connecteddrive and remote services works and is connected. And drive around for a while. I was skeptical that the performance/range of the car might be significantly different, but after almost a year I have encountered no issues, other than a low coolant level issue with it.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likhan_s View Post
At the end it is upto you to decide what you want to do with it. However, I recommend to ensure that connecteddrive and remote services works and is connected. And drive around for a while. I was skeptical that the performance/range of the car might be significantly different, but after almost a year I have encountered no issues, other than a low coolant level issue with it.
I had an issue with low coolant level too at around 8000km, apparently that's quite normal on BMW for some weird reason. Heard of many who had to top up once during the first few thousand km, and then never again.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: F30 330e M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likhan_s View Post
Sad to know that, however, this is how i took delivery of my 330e as well last July. When the dealership was prepping the car for delivery they saw that the edrive was not able to activate, they had the car diagnosed remotely even by people from Germany, however, they could not find any issue. The delivery was even rescheduled for the next day. The dealership told me that they heard about this with another car, and after the guy drove it for around 200km the edrive can back online. So, the next day I kept driving it and indeed the edrive was online around 200 km. My guess is that as they disable edrive before shipping from the factory, the car needs to talk to the connected drive to reenable it, and when I took delivery connected drive was offline. When the edrive can back online I also saw my connected drive was online, I could use all remote services.

Thanks so much for all your comments! When I took delivery of the new car, it only has 5km on the mileage. I drove it for 160km before taking the car in today. They dealer said they will reinstall the car software which took about 6 hours. When I pick up the car, the dealer said that due to the BMW factory setting, the Max eDrive should be available and functioning normally after around 250km. Anyhow, when I picked up the car, the Max eDrive is available.So I am now a happy man! Thanks to all!
Old 06-15-2017, 07:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
There may be some confusion due to differences in region. I'm from Norway (Europe), where both the 330e, the 530e, the 740e and the X5 40e all have the B48.

330e/530e have the B48 in 320i tune, while the 740e and X5 40e have the B48 in 330i tune.

I don't know for sure whether any of the above actually have (or had) other engines in other regions. I would assume that new cars being sold now would have the B48 in all regions. Probably good to find some way of verifying via the VIN number or something for anyone considering to tune the car.

EDIT: Some information about application of the B48 on Wikipedia, don't know how accurate this is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_B48
My 2016 330e in the US has the B48
Old 06-24-2017, 02:04 PM
electrified

Quote:
According to Venturatuning they have been tuning many 330e's all the way back from when they were first released without any problems, so I'd go for it! Perhaps I was unlucky and got a device with bad connections or something, I don't know.

Either way, if you start modifying these cars it looks like it may be a good idea to invest in Carly or some other diagnostics tool, since these cars throw errors left and right. I had a number of other smaller errors as well. Example: Even just unscrewing cap for the cooling fluid throws an error. It's probably a bit imprecise to call them error codes, it's more like information codes, where some of them indicate an error.
Got any news? Going to get my diagnostics tool this weekend!
Old 06-25-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Got any news? Going to get my diagnostics tool this weekend!
I have returned the old device, and the new one has been shipped - but not arrived yet. Will probably arrive during the coming week.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: F30 LCI 330e
Previously I have installed a RaceChip Pro2 on my 330e and did a dyno run with the following results:-
1) MAP 1: 271hp/380nm
2) Stock: 248hp/367nm
3) MAP 2: 282hp/400nm

Then I did a 0-100kmh test using LapTimer and got 6.1s results.

While the test results do not differ much from the stock, I noticed that the racechip helps to flatten out the torque graph thus delivering a smoother power output. The car could easily climb to 170-190kmh range when accelerating. However the top speed did not increase much, probably around 230kmh.

Then a couple of weeks ago, I upgraded my RaceChip Pro 2 to RaceChip Ultimate with Map 2 as well. I have not bring the car for a dyno run but I did a 0-100kmh test and obtained a result of 5.9s. The highest speed that I could achieve was around 235km/h.

Honestly, I am still doubting the effectiveness of the RaceChip (Chip Tuning) method to increase the engine power output. Yes the dyno run did show an increase of power however the top speed gain is minimal. 330e supposedly delivers similar power output as a 330i does but the top speed of 330e is even lower than 320i. Why is that so?

Actually do the electric motor supplement the power for a specific period of time only resulting in the failure of achieving higher top speed?
Old 06-25-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronljx View Post
Actually do the electric motor supplement the power for a specific period of time only resulting in the failure of achieving higher top speed?
You should see an "eboost" icon below the tachometer when the electric engine is assisting acceleration. It may well be that it won't stay active for prolonged acceleration in the highest gear. What RPM do you have at 235km/h?
Old 06-25-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
You should see an "eboost" icon below the tachometer when the electric engine is assisting acceleration. It may well be that it won't stay active for prolonged acceleration in the highest gear. What RPM do you have at 235km/h?
Yes, it will appear whenever the electric motor is giving the needed boost but I am not sure if it were boosting the engine when the car was accelerating to 230km/h. The RPM was around 5404 @ 6th Gear.

I am suspecting that really the actual power output of 330e is 184hp/290nm which is similar to 320i.. I mean that is like the final permanent power output. The hybrid powertrain provides the boost that is needed when executing an overtake maneuver or coming out of a corner but to say that it provides a permanent power boost, I doubt so based on the top speed figure.. Of course there are factors that come into play such as gear ratios etc. But I doubt 330e differs much from 320i or 330i in those factors except with a hybrid powertrain.. I am hoping to at least tune this 330e to have a raw power output of around 328i-330i range.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Yes, it will appear whenever the electric motor is giving the needed boost but I am not sure if it were boosting the engine when the car was accelerating to 230km/h. The RPM was around 5404 @ 6th Gear.

I am suspecting that really the actual power output of 330e is 184hp/290nm which is similar to 320i.. I mean that is like the final permanent power output. The hybrid powertrain provides the boost that is needed when executing an overtake maneuver or coming out of a corner but to say that it provides a permanent power boost, I doubt so based on the top speed figure.. Of course there are factors that come into play such as gear ratios etc. But I doubt 330e differs much from 320i or 330i in those factors except with a hybrid powertrain.. I am hoping to at least tune this 330e to have a raw power output of around 328i-330i range.
Well, there's really no such thing as "permanent power output" in a regular petrol engine either, the actual hp output (as I'm sure you know) depends on how much you push the accelerator. So that the electrical engine provides additional output only during acceleration still translates to the same actual output as a pure petrol engine. If that were not case, you wouldn't see a 0-100 figure of 6.1s. The car already have a raw power output in the 328i/330i range. Tuning it way beyond that is achievable, as the dyno results from Ventura shows.

Why the electrical engine doesn't keep pushing when you are accelerating all the way to 200+ hp (if that is the case), I don't know - but I don't really see that as a very big problem. I'm curious to why you are so interested in the top speed. Isn't real life driveability and acceleration at "normal" speeds more important? Do you exceed 200km/h on a regular basis?
Old 06-26-2017, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Well, there's really no such thing as "permanent power output" in a regular petrol engine either, the actual hp output (as I'm sure you know) depends on how much you push the accelerator. So that the electrical engine provides additional output only during acceleration still translates to the same actual output as a pure petrol engine. If that were not case, you wouldn't see a 0-100 figure of 6.1s. The car already have a raw power output in the 328i/330i range. Tuning it way beyond that is achievable, as the dyno results from Ventura shows.

Why the electrical engine doesn't keep pushing when you are accelerating all the way to 200+ hp (if that is the case), I don't know - but I don't really see that as a very big problem. I'm curious to why you are so interested in the top speed. Isn't real life driveability and acceleration at "normal" speeds more important? Do you exceed 200km/h on a regular basis?
Well you are certainly right on this - real life drive-ability is much more important on which 330e has already achieved just that. As to why I am so keen on having the same top speed as a 330i does.. this is because it still feels short of something if the car is not capable of pulling off the same power output throughout the entire endeavor.. No I do not exceed 200km/h on a regular basis but at times I do though.

Also one thing I noticed with the RaceChip (Pro 2 and Ultimate) installed on my 330e, the eboost indicator tends to appear more frequent than stock regardless of my acceleration behavior. I believe it has to do with the way how 330e ECU works. Somehow it would prefer to choose to leverage the electric motor for power boost rather than a turbo boost on its turbine.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Well you are certainly right on this - real life drive-ability is much more important on which 330e has already achieved just that. As to why I am so keen on having the same top speed as a 330i does.. this is because it still feels short of something if the car is not capable of pulling off the same power output throughout the entire endeavor.. No I do not exceed 200km/h on a regular basis but at times I do though.

Also one thing I noticed with the RaceChip (Pro 2 and Ultimate) installed on my 330e, the eboost indicator tends to appear more frequent than stock regardless of my acceleration behavior. I believe it has to do with the way how 330e ECU works. Somehow it would prefer to choose to leverage the electric motor for power boost rather than a turbo boost on its turbine.
When I go to the racechip.com website now, they no longer offer a chip for 330e (?). Perhaps it's not working correctly / they have experienced some problems with it?
Old 06-29-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
When I go to the racechip.com website now, they no longer offer a chip for 330e (?). Perhaps it's not working correctly / they have experienced some problems with it?
Yes I messaged their CSR and they mentioned that they are facing some issues with the chip. It will be made available again when they have resolved the issues.

I will probably remove it from my car till they have rectified the problem.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:22 AM

I don't think that BMW has gotten their electriification strategy fully worked out. My 330e has been in the shop approximately 10% of the time since I purchased it ten months ago. The Arizona lemon law has a 30 day out of service provision and given the proximity of my vehicle to the 30 day period in such a short time (and only 7K miles) that I asked BMW to provide me an extended warranty given the reliability problems (all of which seemed to revolve around the batteries and related equipment). The company refused. I am now heading toward what I expect will be a lemon law claim once I cross the 30 day threshold.

I don't know if my car problems are endemic to 330es or just to my car but either way..*****er beware and I would never put a tune into my 330e given the clear tendency, at least as to me, to not stand behind the 330e product. I think that BMW will do everything it can to find a reason to disqualify the warranty. The refusal of BMW to extend my warranty given the imminency of a lemon law violation makes me think that BMW must know that there are problems with this vehicle and they want to minimize its risk by not extending the warranty. I love my car when it works but I no longer trust the car and especially I don't trust BMW to do the right thing.

As a result, I fully intend to initiate the lemon law claim as soon as I cross the threshold and I will demand rescission.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:49 AM

An update from me: I've now finally received device #2 from Ventura tuning, and have done some inspired driving today. So far no error codes, and the car feels really good. I guess I have to give it another week or so before I can confirm that no error codes will appear.

I've also clocked 0-100km/h with the M Performance laptimer. Best result so far is 5.8s. The best I was able to do before was 6.4s. I was struggling with wheelspin before, and that was even worse now of course. If I just floor it, I spin through the entire first gear, so I have to try to control the throttle. So better results are definitely possible with better technique. Based on this I would say that stated 5.1s from Ventura may be possible with a perfect start and perfect conditions, at least not far off.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I don't think that BMW has gotten their electriification strategy fully worked out. My 330e has been in the shop approximately 10% of the time since I purchased it ten months ago. The Arizona lemon law has a 30 day out of service provision and given the proximity of my vehicle to the 30 day period in such a short time (and only 7K miles) that I asked BMW to provide me an extended warranty given the reliability problems (all of which seemed to revolve around the batteries and related equipment). The company refused. I am now heading toward what I expect will be a lemon law claim once I cross the 30 day threshold.

I don't know if my car problems are endemic to 330es or just to my car but either way..*****er beware and I would never put a tune into my 330e given the clear tendency, at least as to me, to not stand behind the 330e product. I think that BMW will do everything it can to find a reason to disqualify the warranty. The refusal of BMW to extend my warranty given the imminency of a lemon law violation makes me think that BMW must know that there are problems with this vehicle and they want to minimize its risk by not extending the warranty. I love my car when it works but I no longer trust the car and especially I don't trust BMW to do the right thing.

As a result, I fully intend to initiate the lemon law claim as soon as I cross the threshold and I will demand rescission.
With the assistance of my dealership service manager, I was able to work this out with BMWNA and I don't anticipate further problems.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
With the assistance of my dealership service manager, I was able to work this out with BMWNA and I don't anticipate further problems.
Good that the problems seem to be solved now. I have had no problems with the hybrid systems after driving 42.000km including Ventura chip-tuning. Normally I even do not even notice most of the time when the car switches from petrol to electric mode and visa versa. Sometimes I notice the switch over but that is most of time when the battery is close to empty. When the car is cold and when driving away in electric mode, I sometime have the impression the that gear shifting is a little less smooth.

I also drove a VW Passat GTE and I think that the BMW hybrid system is better than the VW system.

Main disadvantages:
- max. 120 km.h in electric more is too limited. The 5-series can do 130 km/h which is more suitable on the Dutch roads
- I can drive 24-27 km in electric mode. The practical driving range should be a little longer (e.g. 40 km).
- I have to manage the system partly manually to ensure that for each trip the battery is empty. BMW should add a mode 'Prefer Electric' which ensures that the battery is empty when reaching the destination. In fact the system could learn that at certain destinations the car is always charged (home-work trips) and should use this knowledge to avoid driving on petrol.
- Boot space is too limited due to the battery (not a real problem for me)

Advantages:
- Smooth drive
- Silent
- Fuel consumption
- Torque and power

To conclude: Still very happy with the car and I hope that my next car is again an hybrid car.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
An update from me: I've now finally received device #2 from Ventura tuning, and have done some inspired driving today. So far no error codes, and the car feels really good. I guess I have to give it another week or so before I can confirm that no error codes will appear.

I've also clocked 0-100km/h with the M Performance laptimer. Best result so far is 5.8s. The best I was able to do before was 6.4s. I was struggling with wheelspin before, and that was even worse now of course. If I just floor it, I spin through the entire first gear, so I have to try to control the throttle. So better results are definitely possible with better technique. Based on this I would say that stated 5.1s from Ventura may be possible with a perfect start and perfect conditions, at least not far off.
@macrorain
Is everything still going well?

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
330e, stage 1, tuning

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search