330e tuning? - Page 9 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW330e, E92 M sport, E87
Edit

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2017, 11:18 AM

Edited

Old 09-27-2017, 11:19 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2017, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330e
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels1 View Post
Hi all,

I also have a Ventura box installed in my 330e for the last 9k Kilometers. I installed it when the car clocked in 2k and now a bit over 11k with "touch Wood" no issues.

I have it on Setting 4 and always use German BP Ultimate Racing which Claims to have 100RON or Aral Super Unleaded which Claims to be 102RON....

I'm planning of Switching up to 5 in the next few days but also worried about Errors as it is a lease car.

Here a couple of pics with Carbon boot lip, Carbon M4 mirrors and grill, hard to see in the dark grey paint unless you are very close to it but I like that.
Did you move it to setting 4 yourself, or was it a recommendation from Ventura? I would be interested in seeing some information about what the difference is between the different settings (what will be changed in fuel map and turbo pressure in the different settings, and what power to expect), but Ventura doesn't seem very interested in disclosing that. I'm a bit reluctant to experiment with settings that I don't know what is doing.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrorain View Post
Did you move it to setting 4 yourself, or was it a recommendation from Ventura? I would be interested in seeing some information about what the difference is between the different settings (what will be changed in fuel map and turbo pressure in the different settings, and what power to expect), but Ventura doesn't seem very interested in disclosing that. I'm a bit reluctant to experiment with settings that I don't know what is doing.
I did set it to 4 myself and also waited 2k Kilometers before Fitting it.

Ventura had advised that I could fitted after 300km and straight to Setting 5 but I wanted to be more carefull.

Sorry for the mess with the previous pics, decided to remove them.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 320i
Quote:
Ventura send me that:

But if we understand you well you like to play with the power,
You can select engine mapping 4 it has less power then mapping 5
You can also select mapping 3 if mappinf 4 still gives to much power.
And for people who only wan,t a bit more they can select mapping 2.

Jumper J2 selects the automatically fuel-correction
Jumper J4 is for more torque at Low RPM, if you like less torque at less RPM then you can remove this jumper.

If you like to put the tuning off you select map 0
Old 09-28-2017, 08:21 AM

He said too:

Map 5 is Ron 95 fuell
Map 6 is Ron 98 fuell.

It's incredible that a 700 euro chip, they dont give information about it.

Im considering in puting a pressure sensor in the intake tube with a pressure gauge and test it in all maps for knowing all pressure data.

Last edited by olebury; 09-28-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:26 AM

Olebury, thank you for sharing this information I also think it is very strange that the box is configurable, but they provide no information about it.

Last edited by macrorain; 09-30-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:42 AM

I have some news:

I have done Dyno test and the results are: in map 6 with bencine 98 gaves 240 hp with a torque of 353 Nm.

these are very good results, but I dont know by the moment how much boost gives this map 6, but I will discover it.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olebury View Post
I have some news:

I have done Dyno test and the results are: in map 6 with bencine 98 gaves 240 hp with a torque of 353 Nm.

these are very good results, but I dont know by the moment how much boost gives this map 6, but I will discover it.
@olebury
Are these the value of only the gasoline engine or a combination of gasoline and electric motor?

Last edited by Janske21; 10-04-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janske21 View Post
@olebury
Are these the value of only the gasoline engine or a combination of gasoline and electric motor?
Only gasoline, mine is 320i. Not 330e
Old 10-08-2017, 01:20 PM

So, I've now been back on map 5 for about two weeks with several "spirited" drives of the kind that would previously immediately throw an error code. I have had no engine related error codes whatsoever since the ECU software was updated by BMW 3-4 weeks ago. So it seems like the update did the trick.

So in summary, my ventura tuning box is now working as expected with no problems at map 5.

EDIT: Quick recap for potential readers who haven't read the entire thread: I first got a ventura box a while back, and the car started throwing errors related to turbo pressure. Ventura tuning replaced that box at no charge with a new one, but with that one I got errors indicating the car was running too lean. After talking to ventura again, and giving them details about the car and the production date, they adviced that this was a known problem on early versions of the ECU, and adviced me to take it to a BMW dealer to have the ECU updated. I did this, and got the ECU updated free of charge. That seemed to have done the trick, and everything is now working fine. Ventura tuning have been very responsive and eager to fix the problem all along, and their advice and explanations seem to have been accurate. This also indicates to me that it is actually true that they know the 330e quite well and the tuning is indeed specific to the car and not a generic racechip-style powerbox.

Last edited by macrorain; 10-08-2017 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added some context.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:21 PM

I totally agree with macrorain; my car is running fine for many kilometers already even while I ask a lot from the car. I also drive on map5 with super+ as was recommended by Ventura.

For me Ventura is delivering what they promised and this all for a very reasonable amount of money.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Bimmerfest
Old 11-01-2017, 01:26 AM

Mein Auto: F30 320ed
Quote:
So, I've now been back on map 5 for about two weeks with several "spirited" drives of the kind that would previously immediately throw an error code. I have had no engine related error codes whatsoever since the ECU software was updated by BMW 3-4 weeks ago. So it seems like the update did the trick.

So in summary, my ventura tuning box is now working as expected with no problems at map 5.

EDIT: Quick recap for potential readers who haven't read the entire thread: I first got a ventura box a while back, and the car started throwing errors related to turbo pressure. Ventura tuning replaced that box at no charge with a new one, but with that one I got errors indicating the car was running too lean. After talking to ventura again, and giving them details about the car and the production date, they adviced that this was a known problem on early versions of the ECU, and adviced me to take it to a BMW dealer to have the ECU updated. I did this, and got the ECU updated free of charge. That seemed to have done the trick, and everything is now working fine. Ventura tuning have been very responsive and eager to fix the problem all along, and their advice and explanations seem to have been accurate. This also indicates to me that it is actually true that they know the 330e quite well and the tuning is indeed specific to the car and not a generic racechip-style powerbox.
Hi not posted for a while but noticed this thread on the 330e tuning from Ventura.

About 18 months ago I bought a unit having been in contact for some time with Ventura whilst I waited for delivery of my car.
I immediately had issues on map 5 where the car would occasionally hesitate on accelerating. Seemed like it was over boosting and the car was cutting power. The turbo was also very vocal with the unit fitted with loud whooshing and chuffing noises. Car was run on 98 octane. I returned the unit and Ventura sent another but still had the same issue. It ran fine on map 3 but didn't feel that much different to standard power to justify the price of the unit. Ventura were very helpful and we eventually agreed on a partial refund for most of the cost of the unit having returned it. I lost out on postage costs and didn't get all my money back but at the time assumed it was an isolated incident as they had apparently tuned many similar cars with no issues. This was just over a year ago so looks like from others posts it has now been resolved.

I have since fitted an alternative model box and the car runs perfectly smoothly even on max setting.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demge01 View Post
Hi not posted for a while but noticed this thread on the 330e tuning from Ventura.

About 18 months ago I bought a unit having been in contact for some time with Ventura whilst I waited for delivery of my car.
I immediately had issues on map 5 where the car would occasionally hesitate on accelerating. Seemed like it was over boosting and the car was cutting power. The turbo was also very vocal with the unit fitted with loud whooshing and chuffing noises. Car was run on 98 octane. I returned the unit and Ventura sent another but still had the same issue. It ran fine on map 3 but didn't feel that much different to standard power to justify the price of the unit. Ventura were very helpful and we eventually agreed on a partial refund for most of the cost of the unit having returned it. I lost out on postage costs and didn't get all my money back but at the time assumed it was an isolated incident as they had apparently tuned many similar cars with no issues. This was just over a year ago so looks like from others posts it has now been resolved.

I have since fitted an alternative model box and the car runs perfectly smoothly even on max setting.
Hey man, what other company did you go with? I am in the USA, and I would like to get a tune for my 330e. I just don't know whether I should go with Ventura since they are not based in the US. If anyone else in the USA has any advice for what piggyback tune would be best, I'd really appreciate it.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:09 AM

Mein Auto: F30 320ed
The company is TDI TUNING and are UK based.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:34 PM

I have some news.

After i wile, finally I put a independent pressure gauge in the pressure intake and I have some results:

In map 5, the overpressure is about 0,35 bar more than standard, as macrorain told us. So at this moment we can be calm because is a moderate quantity.

when Ill refill next time, with gasoline 98, I'll put map 6, and see results, I will share too.

But there is another test that I have done: I put map 0, in theory, is like standard conditions, but I have had a surprise. The overprussure (0,54 bar) is about 0,1 bar less than without the chiptunning. So probably is a trick to have more contrast. The values that I got, came in two ways: the independent gauge and the normal car data via OBD, and when I put again in map 5, then OBD data shows overboost of 0,63 bar (the same standard data) and the independent gauge shows overboost of 0,95. The diference between them is the real overboost (quite similar of 0,35 bar that macrorain told).

So In map 0 should have a max. overpressure of 0,63 and not 0,54. But the value of 0,63 is a value that I have tested before too.

Obviously when I say overpressure, is allways absolute pressure less atmospheric pressure, this means that I deduct the max. absolute pressure that gives the gauge minus the pressure given at idle.

Regards.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:34 PM
Dave

Mein Auto: '18 330e
Watching and waiting.

Dave
BMW CCA #67486
Old 03-06-2018, 10:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330e, X3 M40i, i3
Quote:
In map 5, the overpressure is about 0,35 bar
Hope this doesn't make me sound dumb, but I have some questions about the terminology used above. Just want to understand what is being discussed.

What does... zero comma XX bar "0,35 bar" mean?
And... can I assume the term "map" stands for Manifold Absolute Pressure?

My old 68 Camaro has a centrifugal supercharger with port EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) the blower makes 15 lbs (psi) boost or about 1 bar (100+ kPa) above atmosphere. Or as I see it in my fuel map (aka fuel table) 205 kPa, equel to 2.0x bar of MAP.

I guess my question is... How does your terminology relate to how I tune my Camaro?

BTW, I am not comfortable running less than 100 R+M/2 octane in my old Chevy at 15 psi boost, but I also understand that head design, cam profile and compression ratios in modern engines can run lower octane fuel.

---Bill.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc68z28 View Post
Hope this doesn't make me sound dumb, but I have some questions about the terminology used above. Just want to understand what is being discussed.

What does... zero comma XX bar "0,35 bar" mean?
And... can I assume the term "map" stands for Manifold Absolute Pressure?

My old 68 Camaro has a centrifugal supercharger with port EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) the blower makes 15 lbs (psi) boost or about 1 bar (100+ kPa) above atmosphere. Or as I see it in my fuel map (aka fuel table) 205 kPa, equel to 2.0x bar of MAP.

I guess my question is... How does your terminology relate to how I tune my Camaro?

BTW, I am not comfortable running less than 100 R+M/2 octane in my old Chevy at 15 psi boost, but I also understand that head design, cam profile and compression ratios in modern engines can run lower octane fuel.

---Bill.
absolute pressure is 0,35 + 0,63 = 0,98 bar ( 14,2 PSI) this is what Ican read directly in the gauge (In this gauge atmospheir pressure = 0).

If you are at sea level, and your gouge reads atmospheric pressure, then the absolute pressure you'll read is about 1 bar plus.

Maps are diferent configurations of the chiptuning.

Last edited by olebury; 03-07-2018 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc68z28 View Post

---Bill.
That's around the same boost as the 330e is running on map 5 (as I see that Olebury clarified above).

Last edited by macrorain; 03-08-2018 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
I have some news.

After i wile, finally I put a independent pressure gauge in the pressure intake and I have some results:

In map 5, the overpressure is about 0,35 bar more than standard, as macrorain told us. So at this moment we can be calm because is a moderate quantity.

when Ill refill next time, with gasoline 98, I'll put map 6, and see results, I will share too.
Cool, please share the results for map 6 too when you get it.

I used to tune japanese sports cars back in the day (10-15 years ago), and around 1 bar is what I remember to be a pretty safe and conservative level for a turbo of this size. Map 6 probably isn't that much higher, perhaps 1.1. Will be interesting to see
Old 03-18-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Cool, please share the results for map 6 too when you get it.

I used to tune japanese sports cars back in the day (10-15 years ago), and around 1 bar is what I remember to be a pretty safe and conservative level for a turbo of this size. Map 6 probably isn't that much higher, perhaps 1.1. Will be interesting to see
Well I promised to give the value and here it is. I have been very surprised whit it. And you, Macrorain, were right. The mx. values have been the same that in map 5. But however the power is significantly higher in map 6 with gasoline 98.

So it's obvious that this is due to vary the parameters of the other sensors, like the ignition advance and the fuel pressure.

Finally I must recognize that Ventura did a good job, but I dont understand why all this secrets. If he had told me, at first, that the turbo in map 6 gives a total overpressure of 1 bar, I would have been calm and saved the money and the work to put a gauge and pressure sensor in my car.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: 330e
Hi all,

I have recently brought a 330e in Australia (manufactured in 2016) and have been reading your forum the last couple of days and have a couple of questions.

1. Whats the deal with the kWh ratting? I believe it has a 7.6kWh battery but only takes about 6.5kWh out of the power point over night. And accordingly, to the on board computer it uses about 5kWh over a 100km drive. I have also seen some 330e have a 9kWh battery?
2. What type of range is everyone getting of pure electric I have recently got about 28-33kms, is this normal?
Having said that I really love the car and think I will have BMWs for a long time to come.

Cheers
Tim from AUS
Old 04-02-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_c View Post
Hi all,

I have recently brought a 330e in Australia (manufactured in 2016) and have been reading your forum the last couple of days and have a couple of questions.

1. Whats the deal with the kWh ratting? I believe it has a 7.6kWh battery but only takes about 6.5kWh out of the power point over night. And accordingly, to the on board computer it uses about 5kWh over a 100km drive. I have also seen some 330e have a 9kWh battery?
2. What type of range is everyone getting of pure electric I have recently got about 28-33kms, is this normal?
Having said that I really love the car and think I will have BMWs for a long time to come.
(Side note: This thread about tuning the 330e (increasing the performance), so your questions are slightly off-topic)

1a. Your battery probably wasn't completely flat when you started recharging, I'm not even sure the car will allow you to completely empty out the battery.
1b. All 330e cars have 7.6kWh. The 530e and X5 40e have a 9.2kWh battery.
2. I rarely get much more than 20+ km, but I live in Norway - so much colder climate. The range you are getting is completely normal.

Glad you enjoy the car!

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
330e, stage 1, tuning

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search