2 Runflat tires and 2 normal - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X1 - 2012 xDrive28i
2 Runflat tires and 2 normal

So I've a sport package on my x1 and I was split between run-flat and regular tyres when I was getting my baby new shoes. I've Bridgestones on the front two and Pirelli Cintuarato P7s on the back. I was wondering does it matter that I don't have 4 matching tires and 2 runflats and 2 regulars?
Dear God, protect my ride."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
If you drive at the limit the different grip of makes of tires can mess with traction control.

The tire diameters need to be very close, and never over 3% difference or traction control also goes nuts.

I think whether runflats or not isn't as relevant: it's the grip and size.

You can check tire diameters on Tirerack, but used tire can be up to 2% less than new.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: '14 F10 +'16 LR Discovery
Braking control under ABS during panic stops will be affected due to the difference in tire tread compound and tread pattern.

For safety, I never mix tires especially on an AWD traction control system.

Why mess with the torque converter and differential damage ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
If you drive at the limit the different grip of makes of tires can mess with traction control.

The tire diameters need to be very close, and never over 3% difference or traction control also goes nuts.

I think whether runflats or not isn't as relevant: it's the grip and size.

You can check tire diameters on Tirerack, but used tire can be up to 2% less than new.
Sorry if I misunderstood but the size isn't the same stock with the sport package...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-17-2014, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Exclamation Mixing tire types, brand, style etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLambo View Post
So I've a sport package on my x1 and I was split between run-flat and regular tyres when I was getting my baby new shoes. I've Bridgestones on the front two and Pirelli Cintuarato P7s on the back. I was wondering does it matter that I don't have 4 matching tires and 2 runflats and 2 regulars?
Let me pose a question in return, "If you were walking to your mailbox would it matter if one foot was in a bedroom slipper and the other in a quality sneaker?" ... Now, if you running a 5K ... ask yourself the same question.

Put simply, probably not a big deal for a casual drive to the store (if the tires were the correct size and at the same level of wear). However, dashing down a wet curvy road at 60mph+ ... well, I'd prefer (maybe I'm fussy) a matched set of tires (as regards brand, style, type, etc).

That's my story and I'm stickin to it
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates
Old 02-19-2014, 07:50 AM

I had my usual morning drive (6am) and I didn't know it's icy out, the weathers been a little bipolar lately so I coasted a downhill 90 degree turn in third without braking (which is fine in the summer but it's not summer), I hit an ice patch and began to slip and spin out of control and of course you don't brake hard in ice cuz ABS and it doesn't stop anyways but I did notice the back tires had more traction than the front. When the time comes Pirelli it is.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Rather unwise

RFT and standard tires have very different sidewall constructions that affect ride and handling. I would not recommend doing this at all and, in fact, would have thought it to be be quite dangerous. It is a like the old problem of mixing radial and cross ply tires in the very old days. You were never recommended to do this since their behaviour in anything but bone dry conditions would be unpredictable and even then the way the car corners would be affected.

From what I see here the OP has already installed the tires and has noticed some issues. Please be very careful. I am also surprised that the tire installer used allowed this to happen.

2019 X3 M40d Phytonic Blue
2016 430d MSport Glacier Silver
2018 Black Sapphire Metallic X3 xDrive 30i - retired
2017 Storm Grey Jaguar XF 35T R Sport - retired
2015 Glacier Silver 428i Gran Coupe - retired
2015 British Racing Green Mini Cooper S 4 Door Hardtop - retired
2012 Space Grey 528i MSport - retired
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive 28i Msport - retired
Old 03-24-2014, 05:01 PM
GTony

Mein Auto: BMW 2011.5 Sdrive20d
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLambo View Post
I was told you don't have two different brands of tyres opposing each other on the back or the front. In other words the same B/Stones on the front and the same P7's on the front should be OK.
IF - Taking into consideration other comments on here, for example. Do the front have the same Width/Profile and the back have the same.
We then go to the important Running Diameter which must be as close as possible to each other. You have to also consider what Ow40X1 and PatX5 said.
If your current set up is within 1.0% or lower running diameter ( NOT the allowable 3% difference) compared to your original wheels then perhaps its ok for general driving until you match the P7's. Not being on the mechanically minded side I stand to be corrected.
Also check 1010tyres for suitable sizes.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:47 PM
GTony

Mein Auto: BMW 2011.5 Sdrive20d
Sorry put both B/stones and Pirelli on the front. Should have said your B/stones on the front and your Pirellis on the Back.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search