11 Cars Owners Canít Wait To Get Rid Of - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:57 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
11 Cars Owners Canít Wait To Get Rid Of

4 BMWs made the list of 11. Is Forbes biased in their assessment, or BMW has always had a bad reputation?

http://www3.forbes.com/business/11-c...get-rid-of/12/

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, thereís a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 08:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Taradiddle!
(Bmw must me making cut backs in Forbes' 'advertising pages.)

Magnum, this is a private line. Clear off..

Last edited by Dio///M; 03-06-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
4 BMWs made the list of 11. Is Forbes biased in their assessment, or BMW has always had a bad reputation?

http://www3.forbes.com/business/11-c...get-rid-of/12/

I think the great strides that Audi & MB have made probably have alot to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2018, 02:41 PM
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'

Mein Auto: '93 "Beemer" R100r
A one page listing; no clicking required:
https://247wallst.com/autos/2017/03/...to-get-rid-of/
or you can choose one with pics, a bit of advice, and clicky goodness:
http://www3.forbes.com/business/11-c...to-get-rid-of/

It's not really yours until you void the warranty.

Last edited by Ridin'Dirty; 03-07-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Spike Holmes
Mein Auto: 525i, G35, Subway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty View Post
A one page listing; no clicking required:
https://247wallst.com/autos/2017/03/...to-get-rid-of/
or you can choose one with pics, a bit of advice, and clicky goodness:
http://www3.forbes.com/business/11-c...to-get-rid-of/
Thank you for keeping me from having to go through the click-bait.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Yeah, also 4 Series, X3, 5 Series, M-B E Class, and M-B C Class. On the other end of the scale: Nissan Vesra's an Subaru's.

I suspect repossession has a lot to do with all of those.

An old girlfriend's other use to get a new C Class every six months. She just liked the rush of having a new car and didn't have the math skills to realize the consequences.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Spike Holmes
Mein Auto: 525i, G35, Subway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
Yeah, also 4 Series, X3, 5 Series, M-B E Class, and M-B C Class. On the other end of the scale: Nissan Vesra's an Subaru's.

I suspect repossession has a lot to do with all of those.

An old girlfriend's other use to get a new C Class every six months. She just liked the rush of having a new car and didn't have the math skills to realize the consequences.
I bet you're right. I think a lot of people buy the most expensive car they can afford. Any little hiccup in the road and they are already stretched to their limit. One of my brothers always says that anyone can afford to buy a Mercedes but, not everyone can afford to keep a Mercedes.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Holmes View Post
I bet you're right. I think a lot of people buy the most expensive car they can afford. Any little hiccup in the road and they are already stretched to their limit. One of my brothers always says that anyone can afford to buy a Mercedes but, not everyone can afford to keep a Mercedes.
... Old girlfriend's mother, not other... My "m" is wearing out on my laptop.

Although, having a girlfriend with a female "other" would be sort of cool, if they were both hotties. With a little luck, that'd be like having two girlfriends without one being mad about the other one.

55 to 60% of new BMW's in the U.S. are leased. A friend of mine's a serial BMW leaser. A few years ago a hurricane did about $5k damage to his roof and that was his deductible. He had to borrow the $5k and paying it back put him in a bind. He couldn't temporarily suspend his 401(k) contributions until his cash flow improved, because he wasn't making any 401(k) contributions. But, God takes care of idiots. His take-home pension will be about 85% of his take home pay, but without Social Security. His house will be paid off just as he retires, so he'll not miss a beat on his spending.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Only 4 BMWs made the list? Huh...

2015 911 Carrera GTS
2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park Edition
2011 328xi
2011 535xi GT
Porsche CVRPCA
BMW CCA
Old 03-08-2018, 08:34 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2017 Subaru STi
I will never buy another turbocharged car. I currently lease an Sti. I lease because I only drive 5Kmiles/yr. Turbos don't last due to excessive heat and are expensive to replace. By leasing, I'm covered by powertrain warranty for the entire lease period.
My GTI's turbo (I owned car) didn't last 50,000 miles before blowing. Car was babied.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:29 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
A BMW 3-series is "a bucket list car".?!??..OMG, what clickbait

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 03-09-2018, 05:58 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Dealers have ringers, buying BMWs then returning them back to the dealers who sell them as certified vehicles at a higher profit? Being high volume dealers, they get more M profitable cars to sell.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, thereís a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 03-09-2018 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul335i View Post
I will never buy another turbocharged car. I currently lease an Sti. I lease because I only drive 5Kmiles/yr. Turbos don't last due to excessive heat and are expensive to replace. By leasing, I'm covered by powertrain warranty for the entire lease period.
My GTI's turbo (I owned car) didn't last 50,000 miles before blowing. Car was babied.
Turbochargers are here to stay. Chevy Cruzes and Honda Civics all have them now.

Synthetic oil and water jackets have greatly improved turbocharger durability.

I make a point to slowly warm my car up as low speeds, and end each trip with either low speed or idle time (e.g. at an interstate rest stop). We live about 400 feet from a U.S. highway with a 55 MPH speed limit. She leaves the driveway, gets to the highway, and then romps on it. I contrast, I drive out the back of our neighborhood and up our towns main street, about 1.3 miles back to the highway. I get "oil temperature" by the time I get there. I come home the same way, to cool everything down before parking. Frau Putzer's X3 is being built this week. I'm going to have to train her to do the same as I do.

I don't trust anybody but a BMW dealership or myself to change my oil, because, because of the chance of some moron putting in conventional oil instead of synthetic. A friend of Frau Putzer has an E39 530i that was her late husband's. It's too much car for her to maintain. He worked from home, so the car doesn't have the typical sun damage that a 15 year old car has in Floriduh. I was going to buy it as a beater until I looked down the engine's oil fill hole. It was sludged up bad. Somebody, either her husband or a mechanic, either skipped an oil change or two, or used rot-gut conventional oil in it. I'd suspect the latter. If that car had a turbocharger, it would have been toast. My cousin fried a turbocharger in his MINI. That's a data point. But, I suspect it was his *********gery that was the underlying cause.

Yeah, you're avoiding post-warranty repair costs. But, you're also on a perpetual ride on the new-car-depreciation merry-go-round. Leasing doesn't get you our of new-car-depreciation. You're spending a dollar to save a quarter.

I've posted this 1,000,000 times on various BF board. It's a worksheet of my to-date and projected costs for my 535i. I look up the KBB values of my cars on their purchase anniversaries, and I track all the other costs. The first three years of ownership (maintenance, depreciation, capital costs (interest), and property tax (zero in Floriduh), MDI&P, ended up being about $1.00/mile. I'm budgeting $2500/12.5k mile year in maintenance and repair costs for the second four years and 50k miles. Because the new-car depreciation is over, my MDI&P will be about $0.50/mile. I'll save about $25k by keeping my 535i eight years and 100k miles instead of four years and 50k miles. I might have some large, unexpected repair costs along the way. But, I have a $25k buffer to work with.

Your posts don't say where you are in MA. But, Boston has the worst parking of any place I've ever been. Parking lot wounds and road salt work against keeping a car ten years up there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170831 actual & project costs 2014 bmw 535i.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	781484  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 03-09-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul335i View Post
As someone else noted, you likely won't be able to buy another new car then.... Everything is going to be FI going forward. That's why I purchased my GTS when I did, because I knew Porsche was going turbo with all future models of the 911. Maybe the GT3 survives for another life cycle, but who knows.

As far as there only being 4 BMW's on the list, I don't think I saw the X1 which has to be the biggest piece of garbage at its price point. My girlfriend has one and it is such a brutal vehicle. The steering is atrocious, the turbo lag is horrendous. The fit and finish is an embarrassment.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search