Happy Summer Solstice - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:15 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Happy Summer Solstice

It is a big celebration in the Scandinavian countries. What about you?
Personally, I strike a shadow line that is cast by the sun from a stationary object, like the edge of the garage. If the shadow repeats, then I know it is summer solstice again. Otherwise it is really an unhappy day since the days will be getting shorter, until December 21.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2018, 07:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to Spike Holmes
Mein Auto: 525i, G35, Subway
Big day for Stonehenge.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:57 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Holmes View Post
Big day for Stonehenge.
https://www.dangerous-business.com/2...s-it-worth-it/

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2018, 05:35 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Otherwise it is really an unhappy day since the days will be getting shorter, until December 21.
Meh. I ride the extended daylight high from one equinox to the other. It's still better than dark at 1630 in the Winter no matter what.

When I get to be Dave's age, (well, I hope to be *alive,* and) I hope I can spend my Winters in a place that meets my desire for Winter.

Last edited by PropellerHead; 06-21-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
My cousin is an atheist. But, just to screw with people he claims to be a druid, saying he "never got missed up in any of those latter-day Middle Eastern cults." As a druid, he'd send out "Winter Solstice" cards in December, and have a "Vernal Equinox" egg hunt in his yard for the neighborhood kids in late-March. He was jealous when I visited Stonehenge on one of my business trips to England.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:00 AM
apprentice curmudgeon

Mein Auto: A bunch of things
It's just another day to me. The only advantage is it may be dark when I go to work but the sun will be coming up and my walk to the office if in daylight. It's also a bit light out when I go to bed. Come late December, it's dark to and from work.

Text if you want to meet him.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:03 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 2K Z3 2.8
Summer solstice was one of my favorite summertime days as a kid in Denmark.

Always at my grandparents summer house. A row of charcoal grills. People doing food prep running in and out of the house. My Morfar would build a fire in the pit and my Mormor would bring out dough for us to wrap around bamboo sticks and toast into bread.

One of those fun memories of a time gone by. Sadly these days I mostly just see a notification that it's Summer Solstice and that's about it. It used to be a huge deal.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:43 PM
apprentice curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post
Summer solstice was one of my favorite summertime days as a kid in Denmark.

Always at my grandparents summer house. A row of charcoal grills. People doing food prep running in and out of the house. My Morfar would build a fire in the pit and my Mormor would bring out dough for us to wrap around bamboo sticks and toast into bread.

One of those fun memories of a time gone by. Sadly these days I mostly just see a notification that it's Summer Solstice and that's about it. It used to be a huge deal.

We don't have the long nights like Denmark in S.W. Indiana. Summer Solstice around here is hot and extremely humid. I've seen concrete sidewalks expand so much they buckle. I've seen concrete highways explode from the heat. The only thing we celebrate around here is air conditioning.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:08 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' grouch View Post
We don't have the long nights like Denmark in S.W. Indiana. Summer Solstice around here is hot and extremely humid. I've seen concrete sidewalks expand so much they buckle. I've seen concrete highways explode from the heat. The only thing we celebrate around here is air conditioning.
I have never seen a good street in Houston.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:42 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' grouch View Post
I don't know why, but for some reason your post reminded me of Rutger Hauer in Blade Runner: "I've seen starships burn on the shoulder of Orion....."
Old 08-02-2018, 03:05 PM
apprentice curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't know why, but for some reason your post reminded me of Rutger Hauer in Blade Runner: "I've seen starships burn on the shoulder of Orion....."

That's one of the movies I've been meaning to watch but can never seem to find the time.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:12 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Well I hope you chuckle and think of this thread when you get to that scene. Rutger Hauer is the man!
Old 08-17-2018, 05:21 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Well I hope you chuckle and think of this thread when you get to that scene. Rutger Hauer is the man!
Well, school has started and I have noticed the light isn't so bright in the mornings. Siiigh. I miss June already.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search