The official Halloween Thread - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:21 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
The official Halloween Thread

The house is dark. It had been raining most of the afternoon and continuing to rain in the evening. The cul de sac is quiet. No kids are trick or treating. I have no candy to give.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 10-31-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2018, 05:55 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
We may have doubled our usual dozen of trick-or-treaters. And that is good.

I heard that the Town has a sign-up sheet and suggests their sign at Halloween welcome homes. This in a community of 700. They will get a piece of my mind, and for the cultural appropriated costumes that stopped by, including an AA in black face! Oh, the horrors. /sarcasm
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:05 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
We may have doubled our usual dozen of trick-or-treaters. And that is good.

I heard that the Town has a sign-up sheet and suggests their sign at Halloween welcome homes. This in a community of 700. They will get a piece of my mind, and for the cultural appropriated costumes that stopped by, including an AA in black face! Oh, the horrors. /sarcasm
What, no posted "Trick or Treaters Not Welcomed, Sex Offender lives here" sign? I used to enjoy 75-100 kids in the old days. Halloween is dead for kids since there are too many concerns for their safety. Kids used to go out alone, now, the parents are at the sidewalk. And, if you take a picture of their costume, the parents probably think you are some kind of pedophile.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 10-31-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018, 05:09 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 2K Z3 2.8
Not sure what all the fuss is about. Kids all over our neighborhood, most with their parents. Everyone dressed up, most parents carrying a beer. Good times indeed.

Nobody died in our neighborhood, nobody spontaneously combusted. Come to think of it - I didn't even see anyone staring at their phone. Maybe there is hope for mankind yet...
Old 11-01-2018, 05:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
I sit on the end of the driveway and hand out candy. We had about 50 kids, and three hot mommies. That's way down from the pre-hurricane numbers. Our 'hood has sidewalks, so it attracts kids from all over. The temperature was just right (high 60's) and the wind was off the Gulf of Mexico so there were no skeeters.

Why did they have to **** with Reece's Cups by putting pieces in the middle?
Old 11-02-2018, 04:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: twin turbo V8 hatchback
we were off to a good start, had about a dozen kids, streets had some action, showing all signs that it was going to be a fairly busy night. Then a town alert came over out over the phones.
This guy had escaped from the prison in town

https://www.nhregister.com/news/arti...l-13352977.php

he was caught a couple hours later, but the streets were empty by then
Old 11-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Uniquely desultory

Mein Auto: '87 325i, '86 MB 300SDL
One of my best clients lives on a dead end loop of a street quite a ways off from the arterial, this in one of the hilly, tony bergs near Silicon Valley. For some time a small ad hoc neighborhood committee has organized a focus on the loop for Halloween celebration. They collect voluntary dues and buy many bags of candy which they distribute. They invited me to see it one time, was really a sweet time, lot of kids, mommies, and daddies.

Since then I've helped with the decorations. They have a pond in their front yard, fed by a faux waterfall with 3 small creeks feeding it, maybe 20 feet long (the lot slopes down from the street). We tried a fog machine for a while - complete waste, 'smoke machine' is more like it. Supposedly ice put in a small drawer would cool the smoke so it wouldn't rise. Fail.

Then it hit me: dry ice. Works great. The bubbling in the pond with the eerie greenish light they have trained on it plus a strobe light makes for a cool witch's brew effect. I also put the stuff at the top of the creeklet nearest the sidewalk every 10 minutes, I can do this behind the bushes, that way a seeming river of fog flows down the creek, with the added benefit of ice suddenly being thrust out of nowhere right next to where people are walking. I buy about $50 worth at a welding supply shop (comes in pebbles, is used industrially ground down to sand for use in remote sandblasting).

Cheap thrills I guess but we all get a kick out of the kids oo-ing and awe-ing over it. Rarely (like never) do I enjoy that sort of evening with diverse families from the area meeting and greeting at random.

*edited to add*

Please forgive me y'all but I also get a kick out of what looks like late teen girls dressing as sexy nurses in really convincing costumes. Go figure ...

Last edited by cmac2012; 11-03-2018 at 12:19 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search