How Much Do You Pay for CC Membership Fee? - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 328D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Same. AMEX Plat, $450 a year. 40k a year in intl travel, so the foreign transaction fee pays for it. (I expense the card anyway)

I spend $15-20k a month, phenomenal service...global entry, clubs, tickets, reservations.

Membership rewards points.

One DEBIT cards:

Do not have one. On my ATM card, there is a debit function, but I made the bank set my debit limit to $0.00....why? I dont want anyone or anything to have access to my bank funds. I want a credit card (and those attendant consumer protections) between my money and the world.

Why do you think they are pushing debit? No chargeback rights, limited consumer protection.
If you are spending 15-20K per month then it is worth it. I am trying to find a good card with low APR,no foreign transaction fees with a low annual fee. Prefer no annual fee. They make enough money off of APR and currency differences that they charge for.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2014, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
If you are spending 15-20K per month then it is worth it. I am trying to find a good card with low APR,no foreign transaction fees with a low annual fee. Prefer no annual fee. They make enough money off of APR and currency differences that they charge for.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
for a while Amex was phoning us to talk us into the Platinum - yep $450 is a chunk, but all they pushed were the travel benefits and we travel so little that they lost us - if we traveled even monthly, I'd get the platinum.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:08 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Called CC this morning, and I got my 2015 $95 membership fee for AA Citi MC waived again. I had to concede something, spend $95 during the next two billing cycles. But, I get 1000 extra miles if I spend $1000 within the next 15 billing cycles. The point? If you don't like what you are paying, call. This is also true for other subsciptions, TV, phone, internet services.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 12-08-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2014, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
I pay $0 for cc since I don't have any. THe only loan I have is a car loan for a family car. Paid on time everytime, so. I hate to pay the bank interests, even with 0 interest, I don't care. 0 ineterst is only good for one year anyway.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:06 PM
I just don't get it?

Mein Auto: 335xi, Mini, Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Do not have one. On my ATM card, there is a debit function, but I made the bank set my debit limit to $0.00....why? I dont want anyone or anything to have access to my bank funds. I want a credit card (and those attendant consumer protections) between my money and the world.
Damn - that's a good idea. I like it - and may follow suit. It's one thing to have a fraudulent charge on an AMEX card (which typically, AMEX cards are not hit) and it's another when they hit your bank funds directly.

I pay $195 a year for my AMEX Platinum - probably charging out 12-15K a year. Nowhere near your level. They just sent me with a new card with a chip - so I assume the US is going to get in gear with chip and pin pretty soon.

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.

Proud owner of 3 turbos and 1 supercharger
Old 12-08-2014, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
Damn - that's a good idea. I like it - and may follow suit. It's one thing to have a fraudulent charge on an AMEX card (which typically, AMEX cards are not hit) and it's another when they hit your bank funds directly.

I pay $195 a year for my AMEX Platinum - probably charging out 12-15K a year. Nowhere near your level. They just sent me with a new card with a chip - so I assume the US is going to get in gear with chip and pin pretty soon.
I have two cards with chips now - the Amex from CostCo + the British Airways card (not sure if it's MC or Visa)
Old 12-09-2014, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
We use chase sapphire preferred which is something like $90 per year. As we tend to travel and dine out alot, its a pretty good fit for us. The metal inlay gives it a nice weight too.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
Old 12-09-2014, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
The only annual fee credit card I have is a Southwest Airlines Visa. A few years ago, I took about 25 round trips on SWA in one year. So, I was well ahead paying the $79/year.

I'm a rebate ranger, and I pay off the balances in full each month. Credit card companies lose money on me. I'm always getting pre-approvals for AMEX Black. BFD. I drop them right in the shredder.
I paid $0.04 in interest back in 1996, but that was round-off error due to a scam I figured out to ding my GM MasterCard for an extra $300 or $400 in rebates. (That how I ended up with a Cobalt as my beater.)
Old 12-09-2014, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
Credit card companies lose money on me.
Except for the 3-4% they make off each of your purchases. For every $10k you spend per year, they are making $300-$400 let alone the annual fee.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
Old 12-10-2014, 05:05 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
If you are not using a credit card to pay, you are overpaying because the cost of using a credit card is built into the merchandise or the service. For that reason, I use a credit card for all purchases, unless there is a "substantial" saving if paid in cash.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlink View Post
Except for the 3-4% they make off each of your purchases. For every $10k you spend per year, they are making $300-$400 let alone the annual fee.
Yeah, but that's OPM (other peoples money).

Chase offered me an Ink even though I don't have a business: 3% on restaurants, home improvement, office supplies, and utilities, 1% on everything else. I pretty much just use it when a get the 3%, since my other cards have rebates greater than 1%. We eat out a lot. Every once and a while, Chase calls me up and asks what my business is. I tell them "freelance restaurant critic.... (burp)."

I get 5% on up to $10k/year on a GM MasterCard, with the rebates good for seven years. I've bought two GM vehicles, getting about $3500 off each of them after my best deal haggling with the dealer. But, my Cobalt is so annoying that I might not buy another GM beater.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:43 AM
German Engineering Junkie

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
If you are not using a credit card to pay, you are overpaying because the cost of using a credit card is built into the merchandise or the service. For that reason, I use a credit card for all purchases, unless there is a "substantial" saving if paid in cash.

I use my credit card to pay for everything, including bills and the $ 6,800 down to cover my initial cost of my car. If you have the right credit card, it may be proven very valuable with cash back, airfare costs, etc.

It's good i came across this thread. I called in and had my 59.00 annual fee waived.

Last edited by Spartan01; 12-10-2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: incomplete
Old 12-11-2014, 10:48 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
My Conceal Carry permit only costs me $45 every 5 years.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:28 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
My Conceal Carry permit only costs me $45 every 5 years.
Is there a waiver of the permit fee if you shot and kill a bad guy? There got to be some compensation for having to lug around 3 lbs of steel constantly, otherwise, the time when you need it, you decided it was not the day to carry it.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 12-11-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:39 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Re activating this thread is fun. I closed out my CitiCard AA CC ($95 membership fee) since I have decided to disconiinue my AA mile program after I use up the miles. Now, I am using the CapOne Venture ($59 membership fee), which I am on my 2nd year, first year, no fee. Major Venture benefits: 2% refund for travel/hotels and no foreign currency purchase fee.

I have always been successful in getting the CC company to waive the fee! But, the last chat with "Pete" took a bit of reminding him that his offer to waive $59 for the Venture CC was on the table, twice, after he proposed two other no fee cards that I declined.

You05:52 PM there is no advantage to either one over the Venture if I spend $12K/yr. so the answer is no.
Pete05:53 PM I do see that there is an offer to reverse the annual membership fee as a one time courtesy, would you like to accept this offer?
You05:54 PM that is exactly what I want, the Venture is great card, no foreign fee, etc. that I will accept.

Pete06:01 PM David, I see that you are currently earning 2 miles per dollar on net purchases.
You06:03 PM You did offer this? I do see that there is an offer to reverse the annual membership fee as a one time courtesy, would you like to accept this offer?

Pete06:09 PM Yes, I do see that there is an offer on the account for annual membership fee waiver.
Pete06:09 PM Would you like to accept this offer?
You06:09 PM I said yes, 3rd time!
Pete06:09 PM I am sorry for the confusion.

Pete06:10 PM David, you will receive a one-time credit equal to the last annual membership fee that was assessed on your account. This credit will be applied within approximately 3 days and you will receive a confirmation letter within approximately 7-10 business days.
You06:11 PM Got it. Thank you.

BTW, the no fee 3% return Chase/Amazon CC is great deal if you use it for amazon.com purchases. More so if you are a prime member.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 01-19-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:20 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2017 Subaru STi
I thought this thread was gonna be about country clubs.

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 01-19-2017, 05:23 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul335i View Post
I thought this thread was gonna be about country clubs.

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Bimmerfest mobile app
good one.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
I don't have a credit card, so no fee, all i use is my debit card, if I have no money in there, then no overdraft fee.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:18 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Quote:
good one.
I wasn't kidding. I was gonna start telling you about my experiences at the local country club.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:09 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91 mobile beach locker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul335i View Post
I wasn't kidding. I was gonna start telling you about my experiences at the local country club.
Then you should know: Will a golf bag with clubs fit in the back of the current Mk7 generation VW Golf?
2008 E91 32K miles, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, V-1 inside rear headrest, Cocomats (with beach sand), $10 clutch stop mod, go-flat tires, plug kit and air pump.

Others include: 1998 Volvo V70 T5 5-speed 220K, original clutch.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 01-21-2017, 07:59 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Now, I am using the CapOne Venture ($59 membership fee), which I am on my 2nd year, first year, no fee. Major Venture benefits: 2% refund for travel/hotels and no foreign currency purchase fee.
Man, I tried to simplifiy this with a single no-fee card. Some Citi card that gives me 1% when I buy, and another 1% when I pay. Every purchase. I got it last year, but I will admit my plans to separate myself from the others hasn't gone as smoothly as I would have liked.

For example, if you want to be a warehouse member, you have to have 'their' membership card. It's a Citi, too. But, It's something like 4% on gas, 3% on restaurants and 'travel', and 2% at Costco. I will admit that I use this card for gas, hotels, airlines, etc and at Costco bc I have to. I didn't use my 2% card for awhile this Summer. It was really telling when I saw the summary of ~$130 of 1% cash back. This means that I missed out on another $130 bc I didn't use the card above with 2% back on all purchases. I agree that doesn't sound like a lot of money, but it's not terribly difficult to pull out a different card. I'll get better this year.

Finally, I have been a Discover Card user for over 25 years, including some difficult financial times in college. I've had a 'screw-you-boner' for them ever since I got upside down on some credit card debt in my 20's. But, like most boners I had 25 years ago, the one today just isnt what it used to be. I think over 20 years is enough putting the biggest purchases possible on day 1 of the billing cycle then paying the full balance at due date ~ 54 days later. So now I use it when the 5% quarterly cash back deals come around at gas stations and Amazon or whatever else.

Last edited by PropellerHead; 01-21-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:54 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Shiftright View Post
Then you should know: Will a golf bag with clubs fit in the back of the current Mk7 generation VW Golf?
I put half the back seat down and they fit with ease.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:49 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
I keep my life simple by carrying and using only one card with 2% return on all purchases. Membership fee waived yearly. The Citi/Amazon card (no mem fee) that has a 3% to 1% sliding scale is in my desk drawer for amazon purchases only. I sill have that $50 bonus for accepting the card. Having an "extra" card with a high credit line also help with FICA score. One of these days, I will hit that 850 max. Available Credit: Plenty of available credit (relative to amount owed) indicates to lenders that you manage credit responsibly.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 01-22-2017 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:11 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2017 540xi
Quote:
I keep my life simple by carrying and using only one card with 2% return on all purchases. Membership fee waived yearly. The Citi/Amazon card (no mem fee) that has a 3% to 1% sliding scale is in my desk drawer for amazon purchases only. I sill have that $50 bonus for accepting the card. Having an "extra" card with a high credit line also help with FICA score. One of these days, I will hit that 850 max. Available Credit: Plenty of available credit (relative to amount owed) indicates to lenders that you manage credit responsibly.
The Amazon card from Chase just got a bump to 5% if you are a prime member.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011
2013 X3 35i, Old Fashioned Dealer Delivery, July 2012
2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014

BMWCCA #350568
Old 01-24-2017, 09:38 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me530 View Post
The Amazon card from Chase just got a bump to 5% if you are a prime member.
I got that email too. In my case, I don't like to pay more than what I get in return.

Closed Thread

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search