Struggling - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M5 & M6 > F90 M5 (2018 - current)

F90 M5 (2018 - current)
The 6th generation F90 M5 based on the G30 5 Series platform is coming soon!

Old 01-24-2019, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i
Struggling

Good Evening,

Quick history: first car 74 2002, several BMWs since including 1999 E36M3, manual, 2011 e90 M3, manual, 2013 e93 M3 DCT, 2012 550i, current 2014 550i. Im trying to justify the move to an F90 M5. For those who have the car is it really worth an additional $70k once I do a trade? I am constantly in the highway, just wondering if the Fun factor is worth the $? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2019, 09:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: CA
I had a 2016 550i and moved to a 2019 M5. The M5 is noticeably better in terms of acceleration, steering, handling, responsiveness, traction, braking, and sound. It makes a difference even in everyday driving.

Is it worth the extra money that you mentioned? In my opinion, yes if spending that money doesn't make a significant difference in your finances. On the other hand, if spending it has a significant impact, then no, it's not worth it. The 550i is already a very good and powerful car. The upgrade to the M5 is meaningful, but the extra fun factor in everyday driving isn't so huge that it's worth a big financial impact. The M5 is kind of overkill. You're paying for a lot of capability that you aren't going to use on public roads, so pretty hard to justify unless money isn't much of an issue.

I hope this helps. Don't get me wrong - I really like the M5, but it's big bucks, and may be hard to stomach from a financial perspective depending on your situation.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:25 AM
Hey man, check this out..

Mein Auto: 2019 BMW M5
Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
I had a 2016 550i and moved to a 2019 M5. The M5 is noticeably better in terms of acceleration, steering, handling, responsiveness, traction, braking, and sound. It makes a difference even in everyday driving.

Is it worth the extra money that you mentioned? In my opinion, yes if spending that money doesn't make a significant difference in your finances. On the other hand, if spending it has a significant impact, then no, it's not worth it. The 550i is already a very good and powerful car. The upgrade to the M5 is meaningful, but the extra fun factor in everyday driving isn't so huge that it's worth a big financial impact. The M5 is kind of overkill. You're paying for a lot of capability that you aren't going to use on public roads, so pretty hard to justify unless money isn't much of an issue.

I hope this helps. Don't get me wrong - I really like the M5, but it's big bucks, and may be hard to stomach from a financial perspective depending on your situation.
Could not have said it better. I nearly went from my F10 M5 to an F90 M550 simply because I was so accustomed to the F10s unusable speed and constant desire to swap ends and the new M550 offered better numbers frankly and more stability for less money but ultimately went with the F90 M5 because of a great deal with my long time dealership. It comes down to money. Both cars will overpower any public road. Just quickly it does it is the question.

Stablemates:
2017 Lexus RX350 F Sport
2000 Z3 M Roadster

Gone but never forgotten:
2017 X5 xDrive50i Grey
2017 M4 Pearl White
2014 M5 Singapore Grey
2015 Z4 sDrive35is Alpine White
2011 Z4 sDrive30i Alpine White
2002 M5 Titanium Silver
2008 550i Carbon Black
2008 X5 30is...ok, this one is forgettable
2008 550i Jet Black
2001 530i Titanium Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 06:05 PM

I may get beat up over this and it's ok if I do. Running the numbers I'm at $90k to upgrade to an F90 M5. I spent ample time in an F90 last week and the linear acceleration was everything I've read and seen via media.

I am truly torn by two very different cars at this stage. I have an SUV as a weekend, if needed car, as well as an e90 M3 (manual).

I am between a 911 Carerra T (manual), last 911 was a 991.1 4s, or the F90.

Obviously very different cars, M5 is the easy leader as far as long distance commute for comfort, but the 991.2 feels special but not as practical.

???
Old 08-01-2019, 07:43 PM
2004 325XI

Send a message via AIM to solsurfr Send a message via MSN to solsurfr
Mein Auto: 2015 535d xi
Going thru a similar dilemma. Would love an F90 M5... not sure if it's worth the jump over an M550xi...

2004 325xi ED (11 yrs)
2015 535d xi (2 yrs)
ISO - M5 in Nardo Gray
Old 08-03-2019, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002FAN View Post
Good Evening,

Quick history: first car 74 2002, several BMWs since including 1999 E36M3, manual, 2011 e90 M3, manual, 2013 e93 M3 DCT, 2012 550i, current 2014 550i. Im trying to justify the move to an F90 M5. For those who have the car is it really worth an additional $70k once I do a trade? I am constantly in the highway, just wondering if the Fun factor is worth the $? Thanks
Obviously only you can really answer that, but I can say I struggled with the same problem. I was considering an Audi RS5 or maybe S6 (the new model of which still hasn't come out) when I started looking and a friend from work suggested I look at the M550i. I drove a 540 (which is all they had at the time) and was already hooked, figuring the M550i would just be better in many ways.

Some changes in my financial situation caused me to start reading up on the M5 and I struggled with the idea of it costing $25K more than the M550i I had configured. Ultimately, for me personally it came down to I was at a place in my life where I could afford what I want and I've never had a car that ticked all the boxes for me, I've always had to compromise on something. Either the car I wanted just didn't come with the features I wanted or maybe I couldn't afford (or really, chose not to spend so much) the model I wanted. So, ultimately I decided that even if I never spend this much for a car again, I was going to get what I wanted, regardless.

For me, some of the things that lead me to the M5 over the M550i (besides the power, obviously) was more control in the various driving modes than the M550i, 2WD mode, along with the manually controllable exhaust valves. I like gadgets in cars (so I'm probably the anti typical BMW enthusiast in that regard) so the more things the car can do and that they allow me to control/configure my way, the happier I am. Add in the M buttons and some other small stuff like the lighted headrest (which, admittedly is kind of stupid but still looks cool) and and the sunshades (which might be on the M550i and I just misremember) and it piqued my interest, even at the higher cost.

Unfortunately, I still don't actually have my M5 yet, so I can't speak to any possibility of buyers remorse, but hopefully it's on a boat and I'll have it in a couple weeks.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:10 AM

I am still working through the process. I've made countless bad decisions with purchasing vehicles and selling them too quickly. The rapid depreciation factor sets in, considering I drive 30-40k miles per year, however, with that many miles I want an enjoyable experience. I could get a CPO but my build is somewhat unique, non-comp with 19's. If I can get over not having a manual, the F90 will most likely be the car. The main concern is the complexity of the technology and what that could mean with future maintenance and complications.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002FAN View Post
I am still working through the process. I've made countless bad decisions with purchasing vehicles and selling them too quickly. The rapid depreciation factor sets in, considering I drive 30-40k miles per year, however, with that many miles I want an enjoyable experience. I could get a CPO but my build is somewhat unique, non-comp with 19's. If I can get over not having a manual, the F90 will most likely be the car. The main concern is the complexity of the technology and what that could mean with future maintenance and complications.
My M5 is a non-comp with 19", lol. Roads here are too crappy to want to drive one of these cars with 20's, to little rubber. Note that if you live somewhere cold, finding 19" wheels for winter tires is very challenging. I might be stuck buying an extra set of stock wheels from the dealer as I'm not finding anything else around the web. I still need to actually chat with someone at tirerack.com. Be aware the brakes are very large and apparently very few 19" wheels have clearance for them. I assume the M550i is easier to fit.

As far as the manual is concern, it's definitely going away across the board, and will likely continue to. More and more, the more powerful cars are automatic only because those types of cars sell based on performance numbers and when you start getting down to 0-60 in the 3 second range, you can't shift that fast.

I had serious concerns about long term viability of buying an M5 before I decided to just lease it (my mileage is very low). Based on the stuff I've seen from people on bimmerpost.com I decide if I bought it, it would only be with an extended warranty. The dealer offered me a BMW extended warranty, but it was ~$8K for either 5 or 6 years. The 3rd party would go up to 8 years for like $4700. Obviously mileage would be the bigger concern for you. Anyway, I've seen too many people have engines replaced after things like a branch through one of the radiators to want to have to deal with that. And then, yes, the electronics are expensive as hell and there's a lot of it at the front of the car. Though quality seems much improved from older BMWs from what I can tell.

Last edited by nlaak; 08-03-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:58 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I struggle with the same question, OP.

I have a F10 M5 who has burned up $13k in maintenance since she came off BMW's warranty (thankfully I purchased a 3rd party extended warranty that's covered everything). On the one hand, once you go M/// its difficult to go back, on the other the F90 M5 is waaaay more expensive than the M550. I have about a year to decide until my extended warranty is up, but....
2014 BMW M5
Retired Bimmers:
2014 BMW i3
2013 BMW 550
2009 BMW 335
Old 08-19-2019, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: '19 SG M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
I struggle with the same question, OP.

I have a F10 M5 who has burned up $13k in maintenance since she came off BMW's warranty (thankfully I purchased a 3rd party extended warranty that's covered everything). On the one hand, once you go M/// its difficult to go back, on the other the F90 M5 is waaaay more expensive than the M550. I have about a year to decide until my extended warranty is up, but....
I know its off topic, but what 3rd party warranty are you using? Would you recommend it?

Thanks

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M5 & M6 > F90 M5 (2018 - current)
Today's Posts Search