Howl and tight vibration/humm from the the CCV - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 08-24-2019, 08:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i Sport
Howl and tight vibration/humm from the the CCV

I just did the valley pan and in the process found multiple leaking hoses. I replaced all hoses, valley pan, water pump, thermostat, intake gaskets, CCV, throttle body gaskets, fan belts, radiator, etc.

Started up fine. Once it warmed up a howling sound from the CCv plus when I touch it, I feel a very tight vibration.

What happened? Did I put something together incorrectly? Do I have a bad CCV out the gate. It was brand new. I was very methodical about the entire project. Car runs great but the howl. I wonder if the pipes inside the intake didn't line up when I put the CCV and the throttle plate on?

Anyone have this howl of a problem? I am exhausted. This has taken multiple afternoons as parts came in and unfortunately i will have to take it apart a bit again. I am going to take the throttle body off first to see if the plate lined up with the pipe inside the intake manifold.

Please pipe in if you had this issue before.

Thank you,

Tom

Old 08-25-2019, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: 01 750iL DD74441
You can actually look on the left side of the engine to see the pipe-plate join. That is where I had my issue. The oring set poorly resulting in the hum.

2001 750iL DD74441
E65 fan & clutch, E65 headrests, Front First Aid Kit, Ultimate Cup holder

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1
Old 08-25-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryBear View Post
You can actually look on the left side of the engine to see the pipe-plate join. That is where I had my issue. The oring set poorly resulting in the hum.

2001 750iL DD74441

H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1
I can actually touch the round diaphragm on the CCV and it will stop for a moment. Very weird.

I don't understand. Are you speaking of the orange seal that runs the edge of the CCV plate? I also don't understand "pipe plate joint"? please elaborate. I am told I should have ordered an OEM CCV. This is what I was going to do. I would rather fix a seal or O-ring if possible. Thank you.

Last edited by tomloans; 08-25-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 10:49 AM

I assumed you were saying the pipe under the manifold connecting the CVV and the OSV. You donít need to take the manifold off for that.
Just as you donít need to take the manifold off to check the gasket for the CVV. You can take it straight off the back off the manifold.

Here is my thread, it might help.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh.../topics/927717

2001 750iL DD74441

Old 08-25-2019, 03:26 PM

So I just pulled off the CCV and yes the blue O-Ring on the CCV was set wrong. Put it back together with some grease for help and it slid in without wrinkling and still I have the howl. I can push in the center of the CCV diaphragm outside casing and it will stop temporarily. Engine fail safe came on this time saying that it has surpassed the amount is can adjust the gas mixture. Going to go get an OEM Monday and call it a day. Wondering and concerned that somehow the intake manifold seals didn't set right hence the "engine fail safe".

Check out what I did... It took me about an hour to take out the CCV and put it back on....

Last edited by tomloans; 08-25-2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:47 PM

Are you sure all the vacuum hoses are good?

Mine was bad oring AND another vacuum leak following the TCG, VP, etc. Double check before getting a new one.

2001 750iL DD74441

Old 08-25-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryBear View Post
Are you sure all the vacuum hoses are good?

Mine was bad oring AND another vacuum leak following the TCG, VP, etc. Double check before getting a new one.

2001 750iL DD74441

I feel like I am missing something. I am going to take a break here and try to figure out what's going on. It seems like the center of the diaphragm is not setting up right with the hole in the intake manifold. But I don't understand the system well enough to know.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:54 PM

What do you spray to see if there are vacuum leaks. Nonflammable.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:31 AM

Here is the end result of this issue. The aftermarket PCV back plate was probably just fine. Made by Hamann. But I bought the original equipment and it still did not solve the problem. Then I noticed one vacuum hose that was sliced and noticed the brake vacuum hose wasn't completely seated. I replaced all the hoses. This helped a little but the humming was still there.

A few of you said I had a large vacuum leak. The only place I could have this was the intake manifold. And apparently it was. The reason for it is that I reused the rubber seals. I took some advice and added some washers as noted in this article to give more room for tightening the bolts to 11 ft lbs and not bottom out.

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/E32/PCV/Index.htm

Runs like a dream again. This is what happens when you don't have the experience. I know this car even more intimately now. lol

Thank you for all your input. I am glad there are a few of us e38 fans still kicking!

Tom
Old 08-30-2019, 10:44 PM

Well guys it is back. not as bad as i can control it somewhat. A short burst of the engine and it will go away. A heavy and long rev and it comes back. I get off the freeway and the PCV is humming. Just did a smoke test using one of those halloween smoke machines. smoke started to loft gently from the left side and bottom of the throttle body. I cant tell if it is lofting out from the bottom of the intake or the bottom of the throttle body. You would think it would come from the right side also if it was the intake. I changed both gaskets on the throttle body. It doesnt keep wafting out once I stop. you would think what was built up under the intake would keep coming out. I am going to do it again tomorrow with more light.

What is going on!? So frustrating.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:17 AM

You guys are not going to believe this... Final end result. The brake vacuum line was intermittently popping off but with the right vacuum it would pop back on. Can you believe it. Smoke test was done with it firmly on but under severe vacuum it would pull in and then when vacuum released it would pop out. then under its own power it would mold back in because it is very stiff hose somewhat and a quick push of the gas pedal and it would lock back in temporarily. I know it is hard to believe. I superglued it until a new one comes. after reading what I just wrote, it seems like I am making it up. Nuts! Crazy! But all is well again.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)
Today's Posts Search