Which i3 to buy? 2017 or 2018? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)

BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
The BMW i3 and BMW i8 are the first two cars launch under BMW's new sub brand BMW i. The i3 is an all carbon fiber, all electric vehicle meant for urban mobility.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:42 PM
Tunnelgirl

Mein Auto: 2006 330CI
Which i3 to buy? 2017 or 2018?

So I am in the market for an i3. My GF has the 2017 i3 and I love driving it and want one! But some things she doesn't have in her model I'd like.

Moonroof
Backup camera
Some kind of more interaction with my phone like Appleplay or a way to get Google Maps and apps on the car screen (after market?).

I know there is a company that can sell you a modified computer to upgrade your system for Appleplay, but not sure if that is compatible with a 2017 model. And the actual screen on the 2018 looks bigger although I'm not positive.

One difference I DON'T care about is range. The 2017 is more than enough for me.

Would also like to have a more lux ride, but I guess I'm not gonna get that from any year i3. They're a little bone jarring and that's about the only negative I can see.

Any input would be appreciated in the 2017 vs 2018. Dealers around me (in CA) are charging around $18k for the 2017 and $24k for the 2018. Is the 2018 worth an extra $6k?

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2020, 01:38 PM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i, 2014 i3
2018 was the LCI update, if that makes a difference to you.

2014 i3 BEV

2007 328i (E92) - Sold
2013 X5 35i (E70) - Sold
2014 i3 BEV - Lease return
2006 325i (E90) - Sold
Old 06-25-2020, 02:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
As to the ride, the ones with the 19" wheels and tires because of the slightly taller sidewalls do ride a bit smoother. Make sure that the pressure is per the chart in the car.

The i3s only come with one of two displays. It depends on which navigation system is installed and which package(s) the car has in it.

Hopefully, you'd never need it, but the newer the vehicle, the more battery warranty you'll have. That's not usually an issue unless you like to keep your cars a long time.
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW i3 Rex
Which i3 to buy? 2017 or 2018?

We have a 2018, backup camera is very useful. When ordering the car we were interested in moonroof but no dealers around us had a model to check out. Finally found a dealer 2 hours away and we went for a test drive and oh boy am I glad we did that! The moonroof on i3 (2018 models at least) is hideous! Instead of one piece above both driver and passenger, it is two separate little windows above each person. In that 4 hour round trip drive we saved $1000

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

Old 07-20-2020, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto:
I'd say 2018 fall version.
I took no 'moon roof', as it's another thing to cook the interior/head. It's another weakness on the construction, another unnecessary fail point.
I found the i3s perfect for me. The seemingly small changes made it very different.
Battery-wise... I believe that the distance trouble many squawk about is a 'nay sayers' hook only. Already, different to many, the BMW i3 under-promises, and certainly over-delivers.
My personal charge time is about ten seconds. I drive in, plug in, rest and sleep, walk out, unplug, drive away.
I did manage to get the REX version, but, it's not come into use yet, although for hells sake only, I triggered it at 60% a few weeks ago, just to see what it sounds like. I couldn't hear it above usual road noise effectively, a huge positive.

What I'm wondering, is, can the REX be retro fitted?

I'm thinking 500km is attainable on a 120Ah version.
I have to say, I'm no 'Steady Eddie' either, but it's impressive when compared to offerings of 8 years ago.

Good luck finding your i3. You'll enjoy it for sure.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:28 PM

If the i3 is your only vehicle, and you don't have easy access to one with longer range, you may want to consider one with the REx...otherwise, if the range is sufficient, IMHO, it's a waste of money...costs more to buy, has more required maintenance, is less efficient because you're carrying around over 300# more all of the time which also makes it slower in acceleration, and makes the vehicle more complex. Many of the issues people report are related to the REx. In general, though, the i3 is quite reliable. Like any BMW, they're expensive to repair should it become necessary.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto:
I can't see that the Rex is a bind. It's not used as part of, merely a 'get me out of the unexpected". It's clearly not designed to be part of the everyday propulsion system.

As far as maintenance goes, it's negligible. The wipers are more likely to cost more to up-keep.

Reliability is BMW, unlike other similar, with brushed under the carpet troubles. Expensive, probably, but that's the difference between Asian based cars, and more class. You pay for what you get really.

Another point to consider is this EV has been from ground up concept, and sure, there may be teething problems, not like car conversions, aka, Hi-undies, or similar panic, no spend offerings. I see a not for profit EV, more to assist people. It never will be as much if a profit margin vehicle.

The up-shot is.... it's a BMW, and with it comes class, engineering, and quality.
Very few would be in here if they hadn't been enchanted but the marque, or style & quality.
Tesla, great, just can't get into one now. Leaf. Mass produced, good, but there are a few problems which require ironing out. Hi-undies.. I just can't get past quality, lack-engineering, and the constant problems, had any offerings been concept to customer, I'm almost certain that there would be a myriad of issues for a conversion vehicle range.
The i3 is positively bristling with modern design.

From the weight aspect. This is relative. One can't say it will do the jack-Rabbit sprint if four people were on-board either. Such weights are insignificant in reality, unless one is teasing the last 150metres, or last 1/100th of a second.
The Rex i don't believe to be daily, more of a comfort blanket. Use and consider it that way.
Expensive, not really, many I know carry a PSW generator on-board.
Weight/power to weight changes then. Many lug all manner of things about, including physical body mass.

I had a sprint-off! with a fellow owner recently, and, I was first over... The other was a 94Ah, no Rex.
In short, it's a choice, like roadside recovery, etc.
It's comfortable to know one can get out of the unexpected, like illiterate, inconsiderate parking on charge areas.

Of course, there are times where genuine faults exist.
As you can see, it's a considered choice in reality, as the collective point out. I'd purchase for your personal ideals and check boxes really.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto:
I have heard many times that i3 is a pretty reliable car. I know one person who has owned this car for a long time and travels a lot. He speaks well of this car brand. I also looked at bmw electric cars https://carbuzz.com/cars/bmw-electric-cars and want to buy this car. But I donít know is it better to take a new one or used car? If the second option, what should I pay attention?
Old 08-09-2020, 01:13 PM

With a new one, you have the potential of numerous tax credits and maybe rebates, depending on where you live and your individual tax situation. That could bring the price of a new one down considerably if you can stack them up. The car also comes with free normal maintenance for the first years, but on the i3, there isn't all that much, but still. The suppliers and designs are constantly changing, so, hopefully, anyways, a newer one will be more reliable, but that's not a guarantee. I am not sure what cellular modem is in the car on the latest ones, but the original ones may start to lose their connectivity in the next year or so. Carriers are going to stop supporting 3G in the next few years. No idea what it might cost, if you wanted that capability (like remote status, preconditioning, etc.). The newer vehicle, if you intend to keep it long-term, will have more battery warranty.

But, the depreciation on the things is pretty high, so you can pick up an older one for a song compared to new.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:49 PM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i, 2014 i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
With a new one, you have the potential of numerous tax credits and maybe rebates, depending on where you live and your individual tax situation. That could bring the price of a new one down considerably if you can stack them up. The car also comes with free normal maintenance for the first years, but on the i3, there isn't all that much, but still. The suppliers and designs are constantly changing, so, hopefully, anyways, a newer one will be more reliable, but that's not a guarantee. I am not sure what cellular modem is in the car on the latest ones, but the original ones may start to lose their connectivity in the next year or so. Carriers are going to stop supporting 3G in the next few years. No idea what it might cost, if you wanted that capability (like remote status, preconditioning, etc.). The newer vehicle, if you intend to keep it long-term, will have more battery warranty.

But, the depreciation on the things is pretty high, so you can pick up an older one for a song compared to new.

Say it ainít so! I knew about ATT/TMoís intent to kill off 3G by the end of the year. Didnít even think my car might have a 3G modem.

2014 i3 BEV

2007 328i (E92) - Sold
2013 X5 35i (E70) - Sold
2014 i3 BEV - Lease return
2006 325i (E90) - Sold

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i > BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search