Steering angle sensor, part two - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-15-2019, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 1994 325i 5spd convertibl
Steering angle sensor, part two

Background: 2005 X5 4.8is. Problem started with DSC being disabled due to Steering Plausibility error.

I use a Launch GDS x431 diagnostic computer on the Bimmers and Benzes, and even neighbors' domestic and oriental vehicles.

To verify problem, I observed outputs of the sensor as I drove; I saw a movement of angle, but not smooth, sort of jerky. I did some research, and bought a steering sensor rebuild kit from a guy in Europe. Was not a bad task, and after reinstalling the sensor, the now rebuilt sensor indicated smooth angle changes. However I could not match the sensor to the vehicle. So DSC had to be disabled or would get random braking while turning.

I bought a brand new steering angle sensor on ebay from a BMW dealer. (they actually sent a second one by mistake - I just sent them a note on how to return the error.).
I installed it today. I cleared the dtc codes, and matched the sensor. The Launch computer indicates matching successful. I don't think so.
Now the new sensor outputs no angle changes. Now I am wondering if my computer is not matching properly, or at all.

The two dtc codes I get are:
OB: sensor/vehicle allocation incorrect or not available
5EB2: Steering angle sensor adjustment

Launch screen also provided this information prior to reading codes and matching while in the DSC section:
Release VersionV46.50
531001 DSC
VIN: LE82388
Prt Number: 6768688
Coding index: 04
Diagnosis index: 0020
Varient index: 4C4E
Hardware number: 10

When in the LEW section in Launch:
Release version - V46.50
521401 - LWS
Part Number: 6793632
Hardware Number: 10
Coding Index: 01
Diagnosis Index: 30
Bus Index: 60

Would anybody know - is he new sensor faulty?
Could my Launch be faulty?
Is there a known inexpensive tool that will match the steering angle sensor to my X5?
Help?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search