Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-25-2017, 05:44 AM
Dave 330i's Avatar
Dave 330i Dave 330i is offline
The King of Common Sense
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,142
Mein Auto:
Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown

I am puzzled why this guy gets some much space in CNN, almost everyday. Why is he so famous for eating nasty junk? Does he own CNN is someway. Hockeynut, chime in. Your cousin is a food reviewer.
__________________
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. Albert Einstein

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-29-2017, 06:46 AM
///M3lissa's Avatar
///M3lissa ///M3lissa is offline
\m/ (>.<) \m/
Location: In the shade
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 22,144
Mein Auto: Duh!
People like him because he's the bad boy of food. He doesn't usually eat too much nasty junk - that's Andrew Zimmern (and that's Hockeynut's Cuz..)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-30-2017, 07:42 AM
Goffinlover Goffinlover is offline
Airbus side-stick jocky
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 140
Mein Auto: 2016 BMW 328i
Bourdain's CNN show is more than food. The culture and basic politics, if germane, are examined and ordinary folks play a role. Perhaps the most epic and well rounded segment was his visit to Iran.

He also has an interesting personal story. Bourdain was a heroin addict, one of the few to kick the habit and lead a prosperous life.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 08-30-2017, 11:39 AM
wyb's Avatar
wyb wyb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Stepping away from the keyboard ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,765
Mein Auto: A car
go take a look at the worst canned foods videos on youtube..



fwiw - the canned snake soup I bought back from Hong Kong did NOT make the list.. and yes, it was quite nice..
__________________
535i XDrive | Alpine White w/Black+Natural Leather Interior
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-30-2017, 12:52 PM
Coconutpete Coconutpete is offline
Coconut Pete's paella!
Location: Charlotte, NC / Denmark
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,206
Mein Auto: 2K Z3 2.8
I like his show. No drama, no self-imposed idiotic deadlines, no staged fighting between cast members. Pretty much contains none of the elements that makes me hate "reality TV" these days. Plus he likes to throw in some very summarized unfiltered history lessons about the places he visits. He'll trashtalk anyone, that much is obvious.

While I also really liked the Iran episode, the Lebanon one was one of my favorites also. Fighting broke out and they couldn't fly out, so they were stuck at the hotel. They were very up front about the fact that it was highly unlikely that fighting would reach their hotel, but they were stuck in a war-torn country.... so ... he did what he thought would help everyone relax a bit. He went into the kitchen, found a bunch of stuff and cooked for everybody with the locals. Turned into a very cool episode.
__________________
Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-31-2017, 04:45 PM
drivinfaster's Avatar
drivinfaster drivinfaster is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: in the sticks you piney
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,379
Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
you guys pretty much summed up exactly what i like about the guy. have a lot of foodie friends (chefs, caterers, bakers, and the like) who also are quite fond of him.

i do not get a lot of tv time, but i will have to google those two episodes.




df
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-01-2017, 11:55 PM
treadman's Avatar
treadman treadman is offline
Revered relic
Location: A good distance from you
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 505
Mein Auto: 2014 320i
I enjoyed his and Guy Fieri's mini feud.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-08-2018, 04:55 AM
Dave 330i's Avatar
Dave 330i Dave 330i is offline
The King of Common Sense
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,142
Mein Auto:
CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide. Here is a guy, on top of the world, gave pleasure to those who follow him, stable and intelligent, committed suicide? Wow.
Kate Spade, the other day too. What's going on with people? Thanks goodness I keep my life simple, don't care to stand out in the crowd, or to be noticed. I don't have a bloated head.
__________________
Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. Albert Einstein

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 06-08-2018 at 05:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-08-2018, 07:50 AM
hooligan_clt's Avatar
hooligan_clt hooligan_clt is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 235
Mein Auto: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide. Here is a guy, on top of the world, gave pleasure to those who follow him, stable and intelligent, committed suicide? Wow.
Kate Spade, the other day too. What's going on with people? Thanks goodness I keep my life simple, don't care to stand out in the crowd, or to be noticed. I don't have a bloated head.
Depression, bi-polar disorder, personal demons and anxiety cross all bounds, including race, religion, economic status and fame.

These suicides are the very stuff that spawned axioms like "money can't buy happiness" and similar tropes.

The bottom line is that people are people, and some things minimize personal issues and some things magnify them.

A sad week, for certain.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-08-2018, 08:21 AM
MatWiz's Avatar
MatWiz MatWiz is offline
Psychology Reversalist
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,427
Mein Auto: 528
Just don't tell me that there is yet another one to come. They come in three usually. The third is usually the least famous one.

I feel sorry for him. I liked him.
__________________
MatWiz
"The greatest thing about the internet, is that you can quote something and totally make up the source." - George Washington.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-08-2018, 08:31 AM
jaye944's Avatar
jaye944 jaye944 is offline
where da clutch at ?
Location: Canada Eh !
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,671
Mein Auto: BMW 128i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
Depression, bi-polar disorder, personal demons and anxiety cross all bounds, including race, religion, economic status and fame.

These suicides are the very stuff that spawned axioms like "money can't buy happiness" and similar tropes.

The bottom line is that people are people, and some things minimize personal issues and some things magnify them.

A sad week, for certain.
^^^ right there on the money son !

sometimes even a drug can have a side effect, stress, at MANY times in my life I've just had to put my hands up and say, jeez, I've had enough. I've been through OD's in my life

Sometimes (and talking from personal experience) it is 1> The people or person around you 2> LACK of care, support 3> People just being uncaring dumbf**ks

When you get into that state, your really not about sitting down and writing a letter and unlike in hollywood, the PM's are not going bust your door down.

There can be "sometimes" tell tale signs, if your friends, partners with someone, pay attention to them and your gut

That's all... I'm out
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-08-2018, 08:35 AM
hooligan_clt's Avatar
hooligan_clt hooligan_clt is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 235
Mein Auto: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
^^^ right there on the money son !

sometimes even a drug can have a side effect, stress, at MANY times in my life I've just had to put my hands up and say, jeez, I've had enough. I've been through OD's in my life

Sometimes (and talking from personal experience) it is 1> The people or person around you 2> LACK of care, support 3> People just being uncaring dumbf**ks

When you get into that state, your really not about sitting down and writing a letter and unlike in hollywood, the PM's are not going bust your door down.

There can be "sometimes" tell tale signs, if your friends, partners with someone, pay attention to them and your gut

That's all... I'm out


I'm glad to hear you've made it through those past struggles without choosing the route there is no coming back from!

It is heartening to see some of the attempts to remove the stigma from mental illness and therapy. Needing help doesn't make you weak or broken or less-than. It simply means you need help.

We all need to try to help out others when we see they might be struggling. Sometimes even seemingly inconsequential actions have big impacts.

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-08-2018, 08:51 AM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: Sierra foothills, California USA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 21,665
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Gutted.....

RIP Tony.







.
__________________
Alignment here: The Definitive Alignment Thread

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label


OEM is not what BMW sells


http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-08-2018, 08:58 AM
Dio///M's Avatar
Dio///M Dio///M is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: 34deg53''North 32deg19''east
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,256
Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Most folks would kill or give their right arm to have fame, fortune and live the glory of these types of people....to me, going out like this is a total disgrace and disrespectful to the many that looked up to him and wish they could have a tiny fraction of his good fortune and luck in life.
He has a 11 year old daughter, such a shame...the guy is pitiful. I too enjoyed his shows and his storytelling and how he made all cultures of the world seem so similar through his passion for food and cooking but I still think he's a senseless fool for what he did.

Magnum, this is a private line. Clear off..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-08-2018, 09:21 AM
stylinexpat's Avatar
stylinexpat stylinexpat is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Between California and Asia
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 19,863
Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 328D
Very very sad. May he RIP


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
__________________
2014 Cayman S
2009 M3 Sold
130i Sold
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-08-2018, 10:04 AM
DBU's Avatar
DBU DBU is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange County, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,164
Mein Auto: Glacier Silver X4 M40i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Just don't tell me that there is yet another one to come. They come in three usually. The third is usually the least famous one.

I feel sorry for him. I liked him.
The Dutch queen's sister also committed suicide this week. Anthony Bourdain was, in fact, No. 3.
So Sad to see him go. RIP, Tony.
__________________
His: 2017 X4 M40i - Glacier Silver with all the options (except cold weather stuff) - not needed in SoCal
Hers: 2015 X4 28i - Glacier Silver - loaded M-Sport
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-08-2018, 05:44 PM
PropellerHead's Avatar
PropellerHead PropellerHead is offline
Brevity= the soul of wit
Location: At the wheel of a bimmer
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 11,524
Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio///M View Post
He has a 11 year old daughter, such a shame...
I could not imagine missing the last 3 years. That's right, fellas. She's 14 tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-08-2018, 08:03 PM
Yinzer's Avatar
Yinzer Yinzer is offline
6 RINGS
Location: Blitzburgh
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 8,395
Mein Auto: CTS-V,540,Subaru Forester
So so sad.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
__________________
BMW CCA MEMBER 486229
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-08-2018, 09:01 PM
MatWiz's Avatar
MatWiz MatWiz is offline
Psychology Reversalist
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,427
Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
The Dutch queen's sister also committed suicide this week. Anthony Bourdain was, in fact, No. 3.
So Sad to see him go. RIP, Tony.
I thought that Charles Krauthammer is our week No. 3. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1274468

But 3 committing suicide within a week. You are right. He is the #3.
__________________
MatWiz
"The greatest thing about the internet, is that you can quote something and totally make up the source." - George Washington.

Last edited by MatWiz; 06-08-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-09-2018, 05:17 AM
Dio///M's Avatar
Dio///M Dio///M is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: 34deg53''North 32deg19''east
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,256
Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
I thought that Charles Krauthammer is our week No. 3. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1274468

But 3 committing suicide within a week. You are right. He is the #3.
Actually it's no. 850 for this week, these 3 just happen to be eponymous...

Magnum, this is a private line. Clear off..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-09-2018, 05:48 AM
MatWiz's Avatar
MatWiz MatWiz is offline
Psychology Reversalist
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,427
Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio///M View Post
Actually it's no. 850 for this week, these 3 just happen to be eponymous...

Magnum, this is a private line. Clear off..
We're talking about famous people.

Those damn epos.
__________________
MatWiz
"The greatest thing about the internet, is that you can quote something and totally make up the source." - George Washington.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-09-2018, 08:06 AM
jaye944's Avatar
jaye944 jaye944 is offline
where da clutch at ?
Location: Canada Eh !
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,671
Mein Auto: BMW 128i Msport
txs,

the problem is with some job's where extended interviews questions, can ask if you have had depression, mental illness etc, (I had a high security clearance many years ago in the UK for one of my jobs) and I had questions also like, what is your sexual preference, are you in debt, and the catch all "is there anything you should tell us , failure to do so would mean you are being dishonest and count against you"

Basically to seei f your prone to issues, blackmail etc I passed with no problems.

I also "understand" the US border has been given information and/or access to Canada's medical history database, and if you have a history of mental illness you can be denied entry.

I seem to remember a news article on that a little while ago.

There are also some jobs, for example, volunteering, (especially with children) where they do ask for a police check and also a medical check.

I'm guess there is a difference between mild depression and being an out and out pyschopath. BUT we can all remember recently several airlines where pilots who have committed suicide with a plane full of people in tow.

It's a tough call



Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
It is heartening to see some of the attempts to remove the stigma from mental illness and therapy. Needing help doesn't make you weak or broken or less-than. It simply means you need help.

We all need to try to help out others when we see they might be struggling. Sometimes even seemingly inconsequential actions have big impacts.

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-09-2018, 08:44 AM
jaye944's Avatar
jaye944 jaye944 is offline
where da clutch at ?
Location: Canada Eh !
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,671
Mein Auto: BMW 128i Msport
Man that's harsh, it's a lot of things I give you that, "thoes" 2 words would not be my choice.

I am not a medical professional but I guarantee you no suicidal person EVER thought of the consequences of there actions, the pain, mental reasoning is so great and over whelming it blocks out any and all thoughts.

They simply do not care about there contributions to society, there responsibilities etc.
They only see the bad, wrong, the screw ups, whatever.

People say that it is a very selfish act, it's not, it's a very,very sad, for a person to be in that much pain, to see no other way than ending there life, no, its not a disgrace and not disrespectful



Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio///M View Post
Most folks would kill or give their right arm to have fame, fortune and live the glory of these types of people....to me, going out like this is a total disgrace and disrespectful to the many that looked up to him and wish they could have a tiny fraction of his good fortune and luck in life.
He has a 11 year old daughter, such a shame...the guy is pitiful. I too enjoyed his shows and his storytelling and how he made all cultures of the world seem so similar through his passion for food and cooking but I still think he's a senseless fool for what he did.

Magnum, this is a private line. Clear off..
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-09-2018, 11:48 AM
Saintor's Avatar
Saintor Saintor is offline
Abuser of everything
Location: MTL
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,521
Mein Auto: BMW-less (again)
This guy should have retired before.

He was 61 and I am sure that financially a guy like this could retire early.

You can argue that money won't buy happiness, but long term job pressure along with personal relationship issues can bring darkness... and I suspect it was just that.

YMMV, maybe he was intoxicated, I find it coward / egocentric to leave a 11 years old child behind like this.

Last edited by Saintor; 06-09-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-09-2018, 12:15 PM
Dio///M's Avatar
Dio///M Dio///M is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: 34deg53''North 32deg19''east
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,256
Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Btw,.... One of the worlds great storytellers and no note on his way out...(maybe there is,...??) He was at the peak of his game, enjoyed his life to the max and had all to live for...family, fortunes and the rest. He was too egocentric and believed in the real world virtues of the human race to just give up...dunno, somethings don't add up....(also how does a 6'4" man find enough clearance to hang himself in a small french hotel bathroom)
....maybe he pissed off the wrong people and ruffled a lot of feathers...the wrong feathers.


Magnum, this is a private line. Clear off..

Last edited by Dio///M; 06-10-2018 at 01:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.