Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:44 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown

I am puzzled why this guy gets some much space in CNN, almost everyday. Why is he so famous for eating nasty junk? Does he own CNN is someway. Hockeynut, chime in. Your cousin is a food reviewer.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2017, 06:46 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
People like him because he's the bad boy of food. He doesn't usually eat too much nasty junk - that's Andrew Zimmern (and that's Hockeynut's Cuz..)
Old 08-30-2017, 07:42 AM
Airbus side-stick jocky

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW 328i
Bourdain's CNN show is more than food. The culture and basic politics, if germane, are examined and ordinary folks play a role. Perhaps the most epic and well rounded segment was his visit to Iran.

He also has an interesting personal story. Bourdain was a heroin addict, one of the few to kick the habit and lead a prosperous life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2017, 11:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
go take a look at the worst canned foods videos on youtube..

fwiw - the canned snake soup I bought back from Hong Kong did NOT make the list.. and yes, it was quite nice..
Old 08-30-2017, 12:52 PM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 2K Z3 2.8
I like his show. No drama, no self-imposed idiotic deadlines, no staged fighting between cast members. Pretty much contains none of the elements that makes me hate "reality TV" these days. Plus he likes to throw in some very summarized unfiltered history lessons about the places he visits. He'll trashtalk anyone, that much is obvious.

While I also really liked the Iran episode, the Lebanon one was one of my favorites also. Fighting broke out and they couldn't fly out, so they were stuck at the hotel. They were very up front about the fact that it was highly unlikely that fighting would reach their hotel, but they were stuck in a war-torn country.... so ... he did what he thought would help everyone relax a bit. He went into the kitchen, found a bunch of stuff and cooked for everybody with the locals. Turned into a very cool episode.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
you guys pretty much summed up exactly what i like about the guy. have a lot of foodie friends (chefs, caterers, bakers, and the like) who also are quite fond of him.

i do not get a lot of tv time, but i will have to google those two episodes.

df
Old 09-01-2017, 11:55 PM
Revered relic

Mein Auto: 2014 320i
I enjoyed his and Guy Fieri's mini feud.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:55 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide. Here is a guy, on top of the world, gave pleasure to those who follow him, stable and intelligent, committed suicide? Wow.
Kate Spade, the other day too. What's going on with people? Thanks goodness I keep my life simple, don't care to stand out in the crowd, or to be noticed. I don't have a bloated head.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 06-08-2018 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide. Here is a guy, on top of the world, gave pleasure to those who follow him, stable and intelligent, committed suicide? Wow.
Kate Spade, the other day too. What's going on with people? Thanks goodness I keep my life simple, don't care to stand out in the crowd, or to be noticed. I don't have a bloated head.
Depression, bi-polar disorder, personal demons and anxiety cross all bounds, including race, religion, economic status and fame.

These suicides are the very stuff that spawned axioms like "money can't buy happiness" and similar tropes.

The bottom line is that people are people, and some things minimize personal issues and some things magnify them.

A sad week, for certain.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:21 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Just don't tell me that there is yet another one to come. They come in three usually. The third is usually the least famous one.

I feel sorry for him. I liked him.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:31 AM
where da clutch at ?

Mein Auto: BMW 128i Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
Depression, bi-polar disorder, personal demons and anxiety cross all bounds, including race, religion, economic status and fame.

These suicides are the very stuff that spawned axioms like "money can't buy happiness" and similar tropes.

The bottom line is that people are people, and some things minimize personal issues and some things magnify them.

A sad week, for certain.
^^^ right there on the money son !

sometimes even a drug can have a side effect, stress, at MANY times in my life I've just had to put my hands up and say, jeez, I've had enough. I've been through OD's in my life

Sometimes (and talking from personal experience) it is 1> The people or person around you 2> LACK of care, support 3> People just being uncaring dumbf**ks

When you get into that state, your really not about sitting down and writing a letter and unlike in hollywood, the PM's are not going bust your door down.

There can be "sometimes" tell tale signs, if your friends, partners with someone, pay attention to them and your gut

That's all... I'm out
Old 06-08-2018, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: '15 X1 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
^^^ right there on the money son !

sometimes even a drug can have a side effect, stress, at MANY times in my life I've just had to put my hands up and say, jeez, I've had enough. I've been through OD's in my life

Sometimes (and talking from personal experience) it is 1> The people or person around you 2> LACK of care, support 3> People just being uncaring dumbf**ks

When you get into that state, your really not about sitting down and writing a letter and unlike in hollywood, the PM's are not going bust your door down.

There can be "sometimes" tell tale signs, if your friends, partners with someone, pay attention to them and your gut

That's all... I'm out

I'm glad to hear you've made it through those past struggles without choosing the route there is no coming back from!

It is heartening to see some of the attempts to remove the stigma from mental illness and therapy. Needing help doesn't make you weak or broken or less-than. It simply means you need help.

We all need to try to help out others when we see they might be struggling. Sometimes even seemingly inconsequential actions have big impacts.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:51 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Gutted.....

RIP Tony.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 06-08-2018, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Most folks would kill or give their right arm to have fame, fortune and live the glory of these types of people....to me, going out like this is a total disgrace and disrespectful to the many that looked up to him and wish they could have a tiny fraction of his good fortune and luck in life.
He has a 11 year old daughter, such a shame...the guy is pitiful. I too enjoyed his shows and his storytelling and how he made all cultures of the world seem so similar through his passion for food and cooking but I still think he's a senseless fool for what he did.

Magnum, this is a private line. Clear off..
Old 06-08-2018, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 328D
Very very sad. May he RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 06-08-2018, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: Glacier Silver X4 M40i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Just don't tell me that there is yet another one to come. They come in three usually. The third is usually the least famous one.

I feel sorry for him. I liked him.
The Dutch queen's sister also committed suicide this week. Anthony Bourdain was, in fact, No. 3.
So Sad to see him go. RIP, Tony.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:44 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio///M View Post
He has a 11 year old daughter, such a shame...
I could not imagine missing the last 3 years. That's right, fellas. She's 14 tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:03 PM
6 RINGS

Mein Auto: CTS-V,540,Subaru Forester
So so sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-08-2018, 09:01 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
The Dutch queen's sister also committed suicide this week. Anthony Bourdain was, in fact, No. 3.
So Sad to see him go. RIP, Tony.
I thought that Charles Krauthammer is our week No. 3. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1274468

But 3 committing suicide within a week. You are right. He is the #3.

Last edited by MatWiz; 06-08-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
I thought that Charles Krauthammer is our week No. 3. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1274468

But 3 committing suicide within a week. You are right. He is the #3.
Actually it's no. 850 for this week, these 3 just happen to be eponymous...

Old 06-09-2018, 05:48 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Actually it's no. 850 for this week, these 3 just happen to be eponymous...

We're talking about famous people.

Those damn epos.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:06 AM
where da clutch at ?

txs,

the problem is with some job's where extended interviews questions, can ask if you have had depression, mental illness etc, (I had a high security clearance many years ago in the UK for one of my jobs) and I had questions also like, what is your sexual preference, are you in debt, and the catch all "is there anything you should tell us , failure to do so would mean you are being dishonest and count against you"

Basically to seei f your prone to issues, blackmail etc I passed with no problems.

I also "understand" the US border has been given information and/or access to Canada's medical history database, and if you have a history of mental illness you can be denied entry.

I seem to remember a news article on that a little while ago.

There are also some jobs, for example, volunteering, (especially with children) where they do ask for a police check and also a medical check.

I'm guess there is a difference between mild depression and being an out and out pyschopath. BUT we can all remember recently several airlines where pilots who have committed suicide with a plane full of people in tow.

It's a tough call

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
It is heartening to see some of the attempts to remove the stigma from mental illness and therapy. Needing help doesn't make you weak or broken or less-than. It simply means you need help.

We all need to try to help out others when we see they might be struggling. Sometimes even seemingly inconsequential actions have big impacts.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:44 AM
where da clutch at ?

Man that's harsh, it's a lot of things I give you that, "thoes" 2 words would not be my choice.

I am not a medical professional but I guarantee you no suicidal person EVER thought of the consequences of there actions, the pain, mental reasoning is so great and over whelming it blocks out any and all thoughts.

They simply do not care about there contributions to society, there responsibilities etc.
They only see the bad, wrong, the screw ups, whatever.

People say that it is a very selfish act, it's not, it's a very,very sad, for a person to be in that much pain, to see no other way than ending there life, no, its not a disgrace and not disrespectful

Quote:
Most folks would kill or give their right arm to have fame, fortune and live the glory of these types of people....to me, going out like this is a total disgrace and disrespectful to the many that looked up to him and wish they could have a tiny fraction of his good fortune and luck in life.
He has a 11 year old daughter, such a shame...the guy is pitiful. I too enjoyed his shows and his storytelling and how he made all cultures of the world seem so similar through his passion for food and cooking but I still think he's a senseless fool for what he did.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:48 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW-less (again)
This guy should have retired before.

He was 61 and I am sure that financially a guy like this could retire early.

You can argue that money won't buy happiness, but long term job pressure along with personal relationship issues can bring darkness... and I suspect it was just that.

YMMV, maybe he was intoxicated, I find it coward / egocentric to leave a 11 years old child behind like this.

Last edited by Saintor; 06-09-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:15 PM

Btw,.... One of the worlds great storytellers and no note on his way out...(maybe there is,...??) He was at the peak of his game, enjoyed his life to the max and had all to live for...family, fortunes and the rest. He was too egocentric and believed in the real world virtues of the human race to just give up...dunno, somethings don't add up....(also how does a 6'4" man find enough clearance to hang himself in a small french hotel bathroom)
....maybe he pissed off the wrong people and ruffled a lot of feathers...the wrong feathers.

Last edited by Dio///M; 06-10-2018 at 01:03 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search