X1 Fuse for Cigaratte Lighter - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: X1
X1 Fuse for Cigaratte Lighter

Just spent at least an hour finding and replacing the fuse for the cigarette lighter plug on the front console by the cup holder. This seems to be a common problem. I saw on the internet someone blew the fuse when a grape dropped in and the juice shorted the fuse or when a coin dropped in. I probably blew the fuse connecting my radar detector in. I can't believe BMW would make it so difficult. If you're still under warranty, let the dealer deal with it. The fuses are behind the glove compartment. You need to disconnect the damper on the right side, then push outward the tabs on both sides inside the glove compartment to release the glove compartment and allow it to drop downward to revel the fuse box. You need to cross your arms to do this. Along with squeezing in down by the glove compartment in front of the passenger seat you can expect a lot of required contortions to simple change the fuse.

The card on the left side of the fuse box with a series of numbers is actually the fuse box diagram. It would have been nice to label it is as such. After searching the internet, I found the cigarette lighter plug is fuse number 8 and is 20 amps (yellow). Use the fuse puller or long needle nose pliers to remove the plug. On the diagram, the cigarette lighter plug is represented by -(+->, which is not exactly what I was expecting for cigarette lighter, but it is what an electrical engineer would draw to show negative on the outside and positive on the inside for the connector (duh). I was looking for a cigarette symbol. Fuse 8 is in the middle of the second row of the two rows of 5 fuses each at the upper left side of the fuse box.

After replacing the fuse and verified everything was working, I tried to put the fuse puller back to it's holder in the fuse box but dropped it, never to be seen again. I'll have to use needle nose pliers next time to pull a fuse.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2017, 12:13 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: Various
Welcome to Bimmerfest, thanks for sharing! What year X1 do you have?
Old 01-07-2017, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
Work

Hey thanks for sharing this helped me on an X1 20d 2011 model the fuse was exactly in the same location.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 xDrive35i MSport
Great post. Was actually trying to look for the box since I got mine in March. When I connected the iCarly BT adapter underneath, I noticed there is no fuse box nearby where its usually located in most of the cars. Looked underneath the whole dash and in the compartment but none. I dont need to replace anything but was just curious. Now I know where thanks to you
2004 BMW 330i ZSP/ZPP
2008 Hummer H3
2005 Honda Civic VTi
1997 Honda Civic ESi
1996 Nissan Sentra SS EXi

Old 12-12-2017, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW X1 Xdrive
Are there spare fuses in the fusebox location?
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red) RETIRED
2015 MINI Cooper Convertible (blue) RETIRED
2015 BMW X1 X Drive (blue) RETIRED
2018 BMW X1 X Drive (black)
Old 12-18-2017, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 535i
Just duplicated your experience (before I saw your post), except that I managed to get the #8 out and it was intact. Any ideas about why my fuzzbuster won't light if it's not a burnt fuse?
Old 11-09-2018, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: Porsches, BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronstory3 View Post
Just duplicated your experience (before I saw your post), except that I managed to get the #8 out and it was intact. Any ideas about why my fuzzbuster won't light if it's not a burnt fuse?
I have the same problem. Fuse is fine, even put a meter on it to test continuity. Radar detector won't turn on though. What else can this be?
Old 08-07-2019, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto:
Answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I have the same problem. Fuse is fine, even put a meter on it to test continuity. Radar detector won't turn on though. What else can this be?
I have the same problem, fuse is intact with continuity, did you guys get an answer? If so what is the fix?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search