Brake System Flush - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i xDrive
Brake System Flush

I have a 2015 328i xdrive.
a local service (not BMW dealer) tells me I am due for a complete brake system flush including
MASTER CYLINDER, ANTILOCK BRAKE HYDRAULIC SYSTEM, BRAKE LINES, HOSES AND CALIPERS

I don't see anything in my owners manual as to scheduled service nor am I getting a dashboard warning

could this guy be right or is he pulling a fast one on me?
thanks BMW Community
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 09:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
BMW maintenance calls for a flush every 2 or 3 years. Should find it in the iDrive directory.
BMW CCA #30375 - National Capital Chapter
1974 2002tii
1986 535i
2000 328i
2003 530i
2006 330ic ZHP
2015 228i M Sport
Old 09-03-2019, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
My 2013 iDrive says brake fluid service every 2 years. Forum wisdom says 2% or more water in brake fluid is no good, so one option is to test for water content and decide. My local dealers at times have brake fluid specials for $150 which is not bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Every two years REGARDLESS of mileage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2019, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 328 GT
Would a brake flush be covered under new car maintenance?
Old 09-03-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlevin View Post
Would a brake flush be covered under new car maintenance?
Yes.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:39 AM

Where do I find Brake Fluid flush under time-based maintenance? I looked at manual and service warranty docs and not seeing this listed. I am getting my BMW serviced next week, and service personnel agrees that brake fluid is changed every 2-3 years. So I am getting this service performed. Are there any other fluids that should I look at for a 2016 328xi 40K miles? Thank you.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Every two years REGARDLESS of mileage!

BMW pulled a fast one a few years ago when they still provided four years of free maintenance in the U.S. They extended the first brake fluid change to three years. This meant they only had to do one for free.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
BMW pulled a fast one a few years ago when they still provided four years of free maintenance in the U.S. They extended the first brake fluid change to three years. This meant they only had to do one for free.

No, all European cars have first flush after three years. They think that filling in controlled environment delays moisture levels creeping above 2%.
VW does it, MB does it. In Europe that is schedule from long time ago. Now, in some areas first flush could be after two years.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
No, all European cars have first flush after three years. They think that filling in controlled environment delays moisture levels creeping above 2%.
VW does it, MB does it. In Europe that is schedule from long time ago. Now, in some areas first flush could be after two years.

My 2002 M3 had all the brake fluid changes after two years. My 2014 535i had the first brake fluid change after three years, and then every two. The same for Frau Putzer's 2018 X3.

Not having to pay for that second brake fluid change under four-year free maintenance saved BMW literally tens of millions of Euros. I'm sure that was in the back (front) of their minds.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 09-05-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: Toyota Prius
Brake System Flush

Quote:
Itís up to consumers to decide: Carmakers only need to engineer their cars to work through the warranty period. GM makes cars that frankly fall apart pretty quickly after that. Toyota, in my opinion, is the best at making cars which will keep running without repair long after the warranty expires.

BMW is sadly closer to GM in the longevity aspect. I own one, and I love it, but it definitely doesnít have the quality of my Toyota Prius.

I flushed the brake fluid last month. One thing Iíll say... the 435 is a pretty easy car to work on.

Last edited by Rebound; 09-05-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
My 2002 M3 had all the brake fluid changes after two years. My 2014 535i had the first brake fluid change after three years, and then every two. The same for Frau Putzer's 2018 X3.

Not having to pay for that second brake fluid change under four-year free maintenance saved BMW literally tens of millions of Euros. I'm sure that was in the back (front) of their minds.
One possible way to explain 3-year first brake fluid change is that the factory fill is 100% clean, while any subsequent brake service may still have residual fluid somewhere, so the mixed result is not as clean as from factory.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
One possible way to explain 3-year first brake fluid change is that the factory fill is 100% clean, while any subsequent brake service may still have residual fluid somewhere, so the mixed result is not as clean as from factory.
Yeah, and the fluid goes from a sealed delivery system to the car, in an air conditioned factory, and is closed up in the car in minutes. But, you can bet that Hans and Franz were also thinking about those millions of Euro's.

With the economies of scale with consumer products, a penny here and a dollar there can add up to millions real fast.

A friend of mine designed TV's in the 1970's. He said they'd fret for days about how to eliminate one resistor on a board. He later went on to manage a weapon system designed specifically for WWIII that cost about $2B. He said that there was no optimization of the design. Once they got it to work, it went into production. The thing was full of resistors that required 0.5% or 0.25% tolerances.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Itís up to consumers to decide: Carmakers only need to engineer their cars to work through the warranty period. GM makes cars that frankly fall apart pretty quickly after that. Toyota, in my opinion, is the best at making cars which will keep running without repair long after the warranty expires.

BMW is sadly closer to GM in the longevity aspect. I own one, and I love it, but it definitely doesnít have the quality of my Toyota Prius.
Yeah, tell me about it. I'm currently nursing a 12.5 year old, 123k mile Chevy Cobalt SS. But, I get big discounts on GM stuff. Shortly after I bought the Cobalt, it became apparent that GM was going to be bankrupt soon. The first clue was the owner's manual being printed on pulp paper, only a slightly better grade than what's used in comic books.

GM's running out of trim parts for Cobalt's, and what they have left is usually on sale. There's not much demand now, because most of the current Cobalt owners are more interested in getting more meth' or crack than in replacing a broken passenger side sun visor or leather seat cover.

Maybe BMW will get some good ideas from the Z4/Supra joint project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobe the Cobalt.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	863589  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 09-05-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and the fluid goes from a sealed delivery system to the car, in an air conditioned factory, and is closed up in the car in minutes. But, you can bet that Hans and Franz were also thinking about those millions of Euro's.

With the economies of scale with consumer products, a penny here and a dollar there can add up to millions real fast.
A $150 brake fluid special probably means half-hour labor plus $15-$20 DOT brake fluid at retail, or maybe $100 of shop charge billable to BMWNA, so it does add up with, say, 350k new bimmers in US needing one extra free job every 2 years.

BTW just by cutting free maintenance to 3 years/36000 miles already takes care of extra brake fluid service without changing from 2 to 3-year for first service.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 320i (F30)
BMW used to specify brake fluid changes every year. Then it became 2 year. Now it's 3 years. GM is 4 years. German brake fluid brand ATE recommends 3 years.

I think it's a matter of priorities. Changing it every year is good but there's probably not much difference with 2 years. Probably could go to 3 years.
Step by step instructions when a hood release cable needs replacement. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=981724
SIB 11 13 15 oil filter housing for the F30 - metal since mid-2013 and can be retrofitted without charge
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=951692
Old 09-06-2019, 05:46 AM

Where do I find the BMW fluid maintenance schedule? I looked at manual and service warranty docs and not finding brake fluid listed.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
1'er here.
I've had mine done twice, in about 4 years

It comes up in the iDrive for me
Old 09-06-2019, 06:39 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
All that you need to know about BRAKE FLUID DOT 3, 4, 5, 5.1.

Boiling point dry and wet moisture fraction. Forward and backwards mixing compatibility. compositions. Anti-corrosion packages. Viscosity ranges with temperature.

https://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/b...s-mineral-oil/

I run Magura Bigs (assymetrical Julies) hydraulic disc brakes on both HPV tricycles.

I note with great amusement that DOT 5 silicone brake fluid is PolyDiMethylSiloxane!
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlevin View Post
Where do I find the BMW fluid maintenance schedule? I looked at manual and service warranty docs and not finding brake fluid listed.
My 2013 warranty booklet(available online) says 2 years.

https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-v...nty-books.html

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search