340i Questions - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto:
340i Questions

Hello all. I currently have a modified 2017 Infiniti Q50 and love the car to death. I am not partial to any car brand; I just like nice cars and love seeing what people do with them. I have always liked BMWs and was actually looking at a 3 series before I got my Q, but the BMW wasn't in my price range at the time. I am looking into trying out the 340i in the future but I'm trying to get some input from some current or former owners.

I have heard the horror stories about maintenance, but I have been a believer that any car will eventually break, and will do so more frequently if not cared for. That being said, I can pull my Q into my garage and do routine maintenance. Is this something I can do with BMW or does it have to be taken to the dealer? Also are replacement parts really that much more that in would be from Infiniti/Nissan?

I've heard good things about the transmission, and I hear they are doing great things with the B58 now. I love the way that engine sounds. I have the JB4 on my Q and its fantastic so I would probably go the same route unless there is a flash tune in the works. I do intend on modding so if anyone can offer input here I would appreciate it.

As I said I love my Q50 but I do tend to get bored with cars over time. It's an expensive hobby lol. I would probably be looking for a 340i with less than 30k. If you think I should go a different route please let me know and thank you all for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 340i xDrive
I have a 2017 340i xDrive with the 6 speed manual, and I love it. It also has the M-Performance Power and Sound Kit which adds hp and upgrades the exhaust. Very easy to live with...comfortable when you want it to be, and fast when you want speed. Sounds awesome with the exhaust.

Bought it 2 yrs ago CPO with 9k miles. Now has just under 24k miles. I canít speak about maintenance or parts. I donít do maintenance myself, and I havenít had any major issues. Routine maintenance has been done at the dealer. The only odd thing was a creaking sound in the roof; they took down the headliner and found a loose weld between two metal parts in the roof. They fixed that and itís been fine since. They said theyíd never seen that before.

Iíve thought about doing some mods to it, but now Iím leaning toward selling and moving to an M2C. I havenít listed it yet, but if youíre interested in seeing more details I can email them to you. Iím in North Carolina, btw.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk91 View Post
Hello all. I currently have a modified 2017 Infiniti Q50 and love the car to death. I am not partial to any car brand; I just like nice cars and love seeing what people do with them. I have always liked BMWs and was actually looking at a 3 series before I got my Q, but the BMW wasn't in my price range at the time. I am looking into trying out the 340i in the future but I'm trying to get some input from some current or former owners.

I have heard the horror stories about maintenance, but I have been a believer that any car will eventually break, and will do so more frequently if not cared for. That being said, I can pull my Q into my garage and do routine maintenance. Is this something I can do with BMW or does it have to be taken to the dealer? Also are replacement parts really that much more that in would be from Infiniti/Nissan?

I've heard good things about the transmission, and I hear they are doing great things with the B58 now. I love the way that engine sounds. I have the JB4 on my Q and its fantastic so I would probably go the same route unless there is a flash tune in the works. I do intend on modding so if anyone can offer input here I would appreciate it.

As I said I love my Q50 but I do tend to get bored with cars over time. It's an expensive hobby lol. I would probably be looking for a 340i with less than 30k. If you think I should go a different route please let me know and thank you all for your time!

If you got a Q50 you could have afforded a 3 Series....

By the way, the 340i is definitely a very nice car, really fast and with the excellent BMW straight 6....I would definitely not consider anything below the 340i as I really do not see much value on 4 cylinder premium cars.

Great RWD alternatives for less money are the Kia Stinger or the Dodge Charger.....40K and you can put your behind on a 485 HP V8 with Brembo brakes and impressive performance.

Last edited by duberalles; 08-02-2019 at 08:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2019, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by duberalles View Post
If you got a Q50 you could have afforded a 3 Series....

By the way, the 340i is definitely a very nice car, really fast and with the excellent BMW straight 6....I would definitely not consider anything below the 340i as I really do not see much value on 4 cylinder premium cars.

Great RWD alternatives for less money are the Kia Stinger or the Dodge Charger.....40K and you can put your behind on a 485 HP V8 with Brembo brakes and impressive performance.
I got my Q for 30,000. At that time in my area the 340is were all close to 40k.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:18 AM
Porleau

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 340xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaap master View Post
I have a 2017 340i xDrive with the 6 speed manual, and I love it. It also has the M-Performance Power and Sound Kit which adds hp and upgrades the exhaust. Very easy to live with...comfortable when you want it to be, and fast when you want speed. Sounds awesome with the exhaust.
I have this same car with the automatic and love it. 2/3 of the way through my lease and only scheduled maintenance. Prior to this 340i, I had an nearly identical '14 335i. Only issue in 3 years was the replacement of front side view cameras under warranty. Prior to THAT I had 2 E90 335i's the required nothing but routine maintenance.

For the record, that's 4 three series (2 F30s and 2 E90s) over 11+ years and almost zero maintenance issues (outside schedule maintenance). Take care of them and they take care of you!

PS: The MPPSK is a great addition to the 340i!

2017 340i xDrive | Mineral Gray | Coral Red Dakota | M-Sport | M Performance Power & Sound | ZCW | ZDA | ZLP | 2PE | 2VF| ZTP | 5DL | 5DP | 6CP
2017 X3 2.8 xDrive | Deep Sea Blue | Saddle Brown Dakota | ZXD | ZW2 | ZDA | ZLP | ZP3 | ZTP | 5DL

Gone, but not forgotten:
14 BMW 335xi F30
11 BMW 335xi E90
08 BMW 335i E90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
85 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 08-02-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I got my Q for 30,000. At that time in my area the 340is were all close to 40k.
Because you wanted a 340i..in that case the comparison is with the Q50 Red Sport which you were not going to get even remotely close to 30K.

You just mentioned "3 Series"...from 320i to 340i MSRP are more or less comparable to Q50 (from the 2.0 turbo to the 400 Red Sport).

Obviously what is important is the real "street price", in your case you got a higher discount on your Q50...is it the 2.0t??

Last edited by duberalles; 08-02-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Because you wanted a 340i..in that case the comparison is with the Q50 Red Sport which you were not going to get even remotely close to 30K.

You just mentioned "3 Series"...from 320i to 340i MSRP are more or less comparable to Q50 (from the 2.0 turbo to the 400 Red Sport).

Obviously what is important is the real "street price", in your case you got a higher discount on your Q50...is it the 2.0t??
My Q is a 3.0T Silver Sport. I got a good deal on it as they were also going for around the same price as the 340i for that trim. Had I found a 340i at the time in my price range I may have gotten that vehicle.

Last edited by Jayhawk91; 08-02-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: 435ix coupe
q50

I purchased a 2014 bmw 435ix with 22k miles and 6 months factory warranty left for 29k 20 months ago. I added mppk and mpe. The car now has 38k miles. Have had no problems and only routine maintenance. When I was looking for a car 20 months ago I almost pulled the trigger on leasing a q50 red sport. Drove the redsport on several occasions and thought I enjoyed it and the lease was really cheap as those cars where not selling well at that time. I had all the paper worked prepared and told the salesman that I wanted to take it out one final time for a test drive. He was annoyed, which I understood, but handed me the keys to the prepped red sport. I came back from the test drive and told the salesman I cant lease the car. I could not see my self being happy with that car for 3 years. The car lacked soul. It was great looking and had a beautiful interior but the driving was so mediocre. Just did not put a smile on my face even though it was blazing fast. The Bimmer I bought still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it! Take a 340 or 440 on a long test drive a couple of times and you can reach your own conclusions. The jb4 or mppsk kit really enhances an already great car. Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhebigscreen View Post
I purchased a 2014 bmw 435ix with 22k miles and 6 months factory warranty left for 29k 20 months ago. I added mppk and mpe. The car now has 38k miles. Have had no problems and only routine maintenance. When I was looking for a car 20 months ago I almost pulled the trigger on leasing a q50 red sport. Drove the redsport on several occasions and thought I enjoyed it and the lease was really cheap as those cars where not selling well at that time. I had all the paper worked prepared and told the salesman that I wanted to take it out one final time for a test drive. He was annoyed, which I understood, but handed me the keys to the prepped red sport. I came back from the test drive and told the salesman I cant lease the car. I could not see my self being happy with that car for 3 years. The car lacked soul. It was great looking and had a beautiful interior but the driving was so mediocre. Just did not put a smile on my face even though it was blazing fast. The Bimmer I bought still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it! Take a 340 or 440 on a long test drive a couple of times and you can reach your own conclusions. The jb4 or mppsk kit really enhances an already great car. Hope this helps.
That actually helps al ot. My Q is flirting with 500 hp now and I love it but I just want to try something different down the line. Thank you all for your input!
Old 08-02-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
My Q is a 3.0T Silver Sport. I got a good deal on it as they were also going for around the same price as the 340i for that trim. Had I found a 340i at the time in my price range I may have gotten that vehicle.

Q50 3.0t Sport RWD MSRP is 48K...if you got it new for 30K that is an unbelievable deal, congratulation!
Old 08-03-2019, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Q50 3.0t Sport RWD MSRP is 48K...if you got it new for 30K that is an unbelievable deal, congratulation!
Well it had 4500 miles on it but yes a great deal. Found it at a Ford commercial truck dealer in a farm town. Apparently had been on the lot for a while. Dealer said the guy who traded was from Houston which worried me since Hurricane Harvey had just gone through but title was clean and the car has been bulletproof. Maybe they didn't do research when they priced it?
Old 08-06-2019, 08:30 PM
kid in a candy store

Mein Auto: 2016 340i 6MT
Not sure if I can help with most of those topics, but I have a 2016 340i 6MT. I was one of the first wave to get mine delivered, at least according to this forum.

I have over 50k miles on it, and it will be 4 years since delivery next month.

The only issue I have had (aside from going through a couple of tires from random construction) is that my car was completely dead when trying to get into it after a dinner somewhere.

Used the physical key to get into the car, and definitely had no response when trying to start it. Roadside assistance towed to the nearest dealership, which saw it in the morning.

It was determined that when I had my battery had been disconnected and then reconnected on my previous service, something happened with one of the connections and it shorted everything...enough to melt the connecting pieces to the battery.

After that was fixed, no issues.

I do love the car still, but I only have a few cosmetic things done to it (spoiler, black kidney grills, etc.).

But there are definitely many different ways to modify this car and I have seen some of them. So I think your options are plentiful!
- ZDA (driver assistance pkg)
- ZDB (driver assistance plus)
- ZMP (M sport pkg)
- ZTR (track handling pkg)
- 21C (19" wheels, style 442M)
- 4FT (brushed aluminum w/ black gloss)
- ZTP (technology pkg)
- 494 (heated front seats)
- ZMT (manual transmission)
- Z09 (carbon fiber rear spoiler)
- Z06 (black kidney grills)

PAST CARS:
- 2000 Honda Civic coupe 5MT
- 2006 Acura TSX 6MT
Old 09-09-2019, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto:
I made the switch from a Red Sport to a 340i. Red Sport stickered around $55, my 340 is about $59.

The Red Sport was more of a sledgehammer. The 340 is a like a Swiss Army knife.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search