Analysis on BMW Ultimate Care + - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 13' 328i sportline
Analysis on BMW Ultimate Care +

So I'm getting to the point where my BMW Maintenance Program is about to become expired. I've been receiving notifications from my BMW dealer about pricing to continue the Ultimate Care. I did an analysis on what the maintenance costs should be. BMW offers their pricing for you on the site (I'm not sure if dealer is different)https://bmwusaservice.com/ultimatecare but mine were the following:

The website states it covers
•Engine Oil
•Engine Filter
•Brake Fluid
•Cabin Micro Filter(s)
•Engine Air Filter(s)
•Spark Plugs
•Remote Control/Key Battery
•Vehicle Check
•Fuel Filter (Diesel engines only)

So what I set out to do was figure if this was actually worth the cost. In my analysis I stated that I drive about 15k miles a year and I just did the basic or high dollar items that any normal person would fix.

So based on my analysis each year that you have the warranty I will take the loss. The only way it may pay for itself is if I drive more then 75k miles over the next 3 years to receive a second brake change in the period.

Last edited by Dfresh713; 05-15-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: '14 328i xDrive
Even if you drive an excessive amount over that time aren't brakes not included in the extended coverage (minus fluid)? I've been thinking about this myself (even though I have >1yr left of factory MP) but if brakes aren't covered it's hard for me to rationalize paying for the extended MP.

(Unless I'm interpreting this incorrectly).

Last edited by GandalfTheGrey; 05-15-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 328 X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
Even if you drive an excessive amount over that time aren't brakes not included in the extended coverage (minus fluid)? I've been thinking about this myself (even though I have >1yr left of factory MP) but if brakes aren't covered it's hard for me to rationalize paying for the extended MP.

I'm in a similar situation, in that I am considering the extended warranty. I now only drive about 6k miles a year (after moving much closer to work), so my oil change(s) only occur once a year based on time period and not miles.

If BMW is charging about $3k for the Ultimate Care warranty (7yr/125k miles) and this warranty coverage is a business to make money for BMW, then presumably BMW anticipates it will cost less than $3k to maintain the car over that period for the items the warranty covers. Considering my low mileage, may be worth not getting the warranty.
2015 BMW 328 X-drive : Dinan Stage 1: Dinan Exhaust: Dinan Springs: Dinan Supplemental Ride: Dinan Intercooler: Dinan Pedals: BMW Performance Headlight Bulbs : Bimmertech Front/Rear Cameras: Bimmertech MirrorCast : BMWCCA Member #516886 (Feel free to use my BMWCCA # for a referral).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2017, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post

This is for MY2012-2016, so brakes are included. They dropped brakes/wipers/clutch starting MY2017. With MY2017, I think just upgrading to 4 year/50K and including brakes/wipers/clutch in that costs around $2K! [The same price that it costs to get entire coverage for 2 yr / 50K miles in earlier MYs.]

I would be interested in knowing what extended maintenance would cost to 6 yr/100K miles with MY2017 including brakes/wipers/clutch.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:40 AM

Mein Auto: '14 F31 328d SportLine
The fact that it does not cover any of the big ticket items that will start to crop up between 75 to 125k miles and really is just pre paying for an oil change makes all of the extended maintenance pointless.

If anything would make sense it would be an extended warranty, and then you need to treat the costs as insurance against possible future failures. Though most people probably cant differentiate which is where BMW make their money with these products.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:03 AM

Brakes are covered as long as they aren't considered excessive wear.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Audi A4
cost of BMW service

Dfresh713, you've listed an air filter change as costing $26. My local BMW dealer just charged me $154 to replace the microfilter, of which $15.20 is labor and the rest is the actual part. Are the rest of your estimates correct? Does BMW only charge $750 for brakes?
Old 09-08-2019, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmitrev View Post
Dfresh713, you've listed an air filter change as costing $26. My local BMW dealer just charged me $154 to replace the microfilter, of which $15.20 is labor and the rest is the actual part. Are the rest of your estimates correct? Does BMW only charge $750 for brakes?

Wait what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2019, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
Quote:
The "air filter" usually refers to the engine compartment filter. The "microfilter" is in the cabin by the glove box.
BMW CCA #30375 - National Capital Chapter
1974 2002tii
1986 535i
2000 328i
2003 530i
2006 330ic ZHP
2015 228i M Sport
Old 09-08-2019, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
BMW brand cabin microfilter is around $40 for BMW logo one, while BMW engine air filter is $25-ish. Last summer the BMW air filter was on sale for $4-5 even at local dealers!

The microfilter DIY took me 45 minutes first try as reinstalling the panel wsa tricky, the air filter one took 5 minutes first try.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
BMW brand cabin microfilter is around $40 for BMW logo one, while BMW engine air filter is $25-ish. Last summer the BMW air filter was on sale for $4-5 even at local dealers!

The microfilter DIY took me 45 minutes first try as reinstalling the panel wsa tricky, the air filter one took 5 minutes first try.

Supplier of microfilter is Micron Filter.
Air filter is MANN or Mahle. Much cheaper than BMW branded.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Supplier of microfilter is Micron Filter.
Air filter is MANN or Mahle. Much cheaper than BMW branded.

MANN/Mahle air filter that fits F30 goes for $20+ online, so price of BMW brand is not that. There is a stockpile of $4 BMW ones in my garage, and those should last 15 years/150000 miles.

The non-BMW F30 microfilters can be hit and miss, e.g. some are too rigid to bent/curve to fit into the compartment, others that do bend and fit are similar prices as BMW brand.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:40 PM

BTW, my F30 BMW microfilter says MANN CUK25001, those are $46+ on Amazon, so non-BMW OEM microfilter is same price as BMW one.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:53 PM

Analysis on BMW Ultimate Care +

Quote:
BTW, my F30 BMW microfilter says MANN CUK25001, those are $46+ on Amazon, so non-BMW OEM microfilter is same price as BMW one.

Then get anything Mahle, Micron Air, WIX (which is owned by MANN), Denso etc. Who cares if it is BMW branded.
For whatever reason BMW choose MANN for microfilter. Usually it is Micron Air.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
MANN/Mahle air filter that fits F30 goes for $20+ online, so price of BMW brand is not that. There is a stockpile of $4 BMW ones in my garage, and those should last 15 years/150000 miles.

The non-BMW F30 microfilters can be hit and miss, e.g. some are too rigid to bent/curve to fit into the compartment, others that do bend and fit are similar prices as BMW brand.

Well, you cannot beat $4. BMW branded (MANN) for my X5 35d was $56. MANN was $18.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Then get anything Mahle, Micron Air, WIX (which is owned by MANN), Denso etc. Who cares if it is BMW branded.
For whatever reason BMW choose MANN for microfilter. Usually it is Micron Air.

MAHLE LAK812 that fits F30 is $37, so that is cheaper than Mann, but not $18 though.

Do you have personal experience with WIX/Denso/Micron Air brand F30 activated charcoal microfilter?

One aftermarket one tried was EcoGard, that did not bend/curve into the compartment and had to be returned.

My guess is anything other than Mahle/Mann can have fitment issues.

EDIT: one issue mentioned online about Mahle one is that it has plastic frame that can rattle in housing, if true that will be annoying ....

Last edited by namelessman; 09-08-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
MAHLE LAK812 that fits F30 is $37, so that is cheaper than Mann, but not $18 though.

Do you have personal experience with WIX/Denso/Micron Air brand F30 activated charcoal microfilter?

One aftermarket one tried was EcoGard, that did not bend/curve into the compartment and had to be returned.

My guess is anything other than Mahle/Mann can have fitment issues.

EDIT: one issue mentioned online about Mahle one is that it has plastic frame that can rattle in housing, if true that will be annoying ....

No, I don’t have experience with F30 application. I trust MANN, Mahle, Micron Air, Hengst, Denso, WIX. EcoGuard is a cheaper option so issues are not surprising. Now, if there is documented issue with Mahle, well avoid it.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:11 PM

Well as this post is active again, i'll do an update:

I did not go for the Extended Warranty. I'm at the 2 year mark and 75k miles, and so far for items that would have been covered, i've gone through 2 oil changes, replacement of rear brakes ($425 from local BMW Independent shop) and will be replacing the front brakes soon. Glad I didn't buy the extended warranty as it would have been a waste of money.

Last edited by Dfresh713; 09-09-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: e46 M3
If you are willing to get your hands dirty extended warranties make no sense and are just money makers.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 09-11-2019, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedavis01 View Post
If you are willing to get your hands dirty extended warranties make no sense and are just money makers.

Depends on how handy you are and if you’ve invested in the needed tools.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfresh713 View Post
So I'm getting to the point where my BMW Maintenance Program is about to become expired. I've been receiving notifications from my BMW dealer about pricing to continue the Ultimate Care. I did an analysis on what the maintenance costs should be. BMW offers their pricing for you on the site (I'm not sure if dealer is different)https://bmwusaservice.com/ultimatecare but mine were the following:

The website states it covers

•Engine Oil

•Engine Filter

•Brake Fluid

•Cabin Micro Filter(s)

•Engine Air Filter(s)

•Spark Plugs

•Remote Control/Key Battery

•Vehicle Check

•Fuel Filter (Diesel engines only)

So what I set out to do was figure if this was actually worth the cost. In my analysis I stated that I drive about 15k miles a year and I just did the basic or high dollar items that any normal person would fix.

So based on my analysis each year that you have the warranty I will take the loss. The only way it may pay for itself is if I drive more then 75k miles over the next 3 years to receive a second brake change in the period.

In your analysis, when you identified brakes did you mean brake fluid? According to above, BMW does not cover brakes (pads); or am I not understanding this? Sorry!

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 09-15-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
In your analysis, when you identified brakes did you mean brake fluid? According to above, BMW does not cover brakes (pads); or am I not understanding this? Sorry!
The extended maintenance plan paid out-of-pocket does include brake pads + rotors(if below min. spec), so OP's $760 is attributing a value to the brake pads + rotors job that the extended maintenance will pay.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedavis01 View Post

DIY maintenance done so far on my F30(almost 70k miles) were air filter($4), micro filter($35), wiper blades($11), all BMW logo parts.

Dealer jobs so far are mainly $70 oil changes.

OP may need spark plugs in 60k miles, dealer charges $400+ for that, but local indies can do for $200-ish, or $70 parts only if one has a calibrated torque wrench + extensions + thin wall 14mm socket.

Brake jobs per axle can run $1k at dealer, but indies can usually do for$500 with after market, or $700 with BMW parts.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search