Regarding Coolant Levels and Coolant Cap on 340 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 340 Xi
Regarding Coolant Levels and Coolant Cap on 340

Since I purchased my BMW 340 in 2016, I have been having to often "top off" the Coolant Levels on the Main Coolant Tank. I've had it checked by BMW several times-- each time they at least say they pressure test it with no findings of leaks of any sort. I do notice that the Coolant Cap is somewhat floppy-- not really sealed well. I wonder if Coolant may evaporate or spill out due to this? I was given a new Coolant Cap recently by BMW, but it is similarly floppy, with no solid seal whatsoever. Do any 340 owners have a Coolant Cap that is also floppy, not sealing well--- or are there any 340 owners who also have to often "top off" the Coolant. Interestingly, I have never had any sensor warnings. Appreciate any and all feedback...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 07:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
The coolant cap on top of the coolant reservoir has an arrow that needs to line up with another arrow on the body of the reservoir, if not there will be no seal.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 340i sDrive
I really think one of two things is happening
1) the cap is not a tight seal or inadequate to seal the coolant under high pressure and so you have leakage/vaporization
I have evidence of dried leakage around the threads and outside
No evidence of vaporization but its very likely and over time you have drop in coolant levels

2) the same thing happening in the turbo
Coolant escapes the seals in the turbo and vaporizes or exits along w/ the exhaust

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search