'14 E84 electrical issues - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:04 PM

Mein Auto: F30, E32, E84
'14 E84 electrical issues

Like the title states My wife's E84 is giving us some minor issues, parking sensors no longer work and keyless start isn't working. This I'm sure stems from the pocket in the trunk( passenger trunk) being filled with water. I'm wondering if I buy The modules if I need To program them or is a used unit plug and play.

Side note I swapped on some E60 wheels and was wondering if the TPMS where the same the frequency is the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 09:42 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
On your TPMS question, Zeichen311 from the E90 forum answered this when I had a valve stem question:

Quote:
It's possible your car has FTM (Flat Tire Monitor) not TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). The latter takes direct measurements of tire pressures from sensors in the wheels, as discussed. The FTM system relies on indirect data from the ABS wheel-speed sensors. When it sees one wheel rotating significantly, and consistently, faster than the others, it infers that tire is flat or nearly so (smaller rolling diameter = faster rotation, over equal distance).

In the US, BMW phased out FTM and made TPMS standard equipment somewhere in the early-middle of the E90 et al. production span. I'm not certain but I believe it remained optional equipment in many other countries until the end of the run.

If your current wheels don't have the metal-stemmed valves that imply sensors on the other side, FTM is the answer. If you had mounted sensor-less wheels on a TPMS-equipped car, you would get audible and visual warnings every time you turn on the ignition, and the TPMS idiot-light would be continuously lit in the instrument cluster.
Do you have the metal-stemmed valves ?

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Old 07-08-2019, 12:19 PM

I wish I had FTM the E60 and E84 are US cars I'm certain both have TPMS, but to answer your question yes both sets of wheels have the metal valve stems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRec View Post
I wish I had FTM the E60 and E84 are US cars I'm certain both have TPMS, but to answer your question yes both sets of wheels have the metal valve stems
I wish I had the full TPMS. Wanna trade ?

My understanding is that TPMS is all the same across all makes and models of vehicles. Therefore, they are universal. I could be wrong in this and I'm sure someone will correct me if so.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
Quote:
I wish I had the full TPMS. Wanna trade ?

My understanding is that TPMS is all the same across all makes and models of vehicles. Therefore, they are universal. I could be wrong in this and I'm sure someone will correct me if so.
Even with the electrical issues you got a deal buddy! Haha thanks for the info I thought the same thing the e84 is just a tall e90
Old 07-09-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Even with the electrical issues you got a deal buddy! Haha thanks for the info I thought the same thing the e84 is just a tall e90
FWIW, both of my E90s as well as my E84 have just the FTM. No TPMS for me in this generation of BMWs

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search