Need new brakes. "M Performance" - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
Need new brakes. "M Performance"

Hi all -

I need new breaks and probably rotors (I have that "pulsing" break response which is probably a warped rotor).

My breaks are "M performance". On ECS Tuning, I see options for "M Sport", "OE", and "Performance". But not "M Performance".

Hawk Front HPS 5.0 Performance Brake Pad Set <-- Is that going to fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2019, 05:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlester View Post
Hi all -

I need new breaks and probably rotors (I have that "pulsing" break response which is probably a warped rotor).

My breaks are "M performance". On ECS Tuning, I see options for "M Sport", "OE", and "Performance". But not "M Performance".

Get OE or ATE or Textar pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2019, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Hi all -

What vehicle is this for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Some observations:
  1. HPS 5.0 is a pad compound (friction material). Pad sets using that compound are available for many different cars. If you identified your car correctly when you searched for pads to fit your car, then it will fit.
  2. Are you replacing only the front pads, or front and rear? If the former, use only BMW or OEM pads. Do not mix significantly different pad compounds.
  3. My thoughts on various Hawk compounds can be found here.
  4. Rotors rarely warp. The pulsation often misdiagnosed as a warped rotor is more often than not caused by deposits of pad material on the rotor surface. Bedding a new set of pads (or re-bedding the existing ones) will often cure it.

BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 07-16-2019 at 05:19 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Some observations:
  1. HPS 5.0 is a pad compound (friction material). Pad sets using that compound are available for many different cars. If you identified your car correctly when you searched for pads to fit your car, then it will fit.
  2. Are you replacing only the front pads, or front and rear? If the former, use only BMW or OEM pads. Do not mix significantly different pad compounds.
  3. My thoughts on various Hawk compounds can be found here.
  4. Rotors rarely warp. The pulsation often misdiagnosed as a warped rotor is more often than not caused by deposits of pad material on the rotor surface. Bedding a new set of pads (or re-bedding the existing ones) will often cure it.

Putting more aggressive pad on front is fine.
Putting it back is when trouble starts.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:34 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Putting more aggressive pad on front is fine.
Putting it back is when trouble starts.
In theory. But the relative responses of the compounds in question here change with pad temperature.

When the brakes are cold, the HPS 5.0 will not bite as hard as the OE pad formulation. So with Hawks up front and OE out back, the effect is that the rear momentarily does have the more aggressive compound. Bad juju. When the brakes gather some heat, the balance shifts the other way, but not as much because HPS 5.0 is a fairly mild pad upgrade. Putting OE on the front and a "performance" pad on the rear reverses all of the preceding.

In reality, the DSC system will probably smooth over most of that because the differences between the pads in question are moderate. However, it also means the fore-and-aft brake bias no longer matches any assumptions built into the DSC control models, which means it may not respond/handle optimally in an emergency.

Bottom line is that someone who asks "will HPS 5.0 pads fit my car" is not (yet) in a position to be experimenting with brake bias. So, absent that experience or need, the smart advice is "do not change brake pad brand/type unless changing pads at all four wheels."

BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 07-16-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
In theory. But the relative responses of the compounds in question here change with pad temperature.

When the brakes are cold, the HPS 5.0 will not bite as hard as the OE pad formulation. So with Hawks up front and OE out back, the effect is that the rear momentarily does have the more aggressive compound. Bad juju. When the brakes gather some heat, the balance shifts the other way, but not as much because HPS 5.0 is a fairly mild pad upgrade. Putting OE on the front and a "performance" pad on the rear reverses all of the preceding.

In reality, the DSC system will probably smooth over most of that because the differences between the pads in question are moderate. However, it also means the fore-and-aft brake bias no longer matches any assumptions built into the DSC control models, which means it may not respond/handle optimally in an emergency.

Bottom line is that someone who asks "will HPS 5.0 pads fit my car" is not (yet) in a position to be experimenting with brake bias. So, absent that experience or need, the smart advice is "do not change brake pad brand/type unless changing pads at all four wheels."

I understand that, though mildly upgraded pads are pretty good in response. Still, my argument is that in slick and wet conditions, more aggressive response in the back might create issues. DSC could attempt and maybe mitigate to certain extent, but laws of physics are still there.
I am not big fan of new compound on F30. Not sure whether ATE or Textar offer more bite?

Old 07-17-2019, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
I got my pads from Amazon for ~$80 total last November and installed the pads myself:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LY...b_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CF...b_b_asin_title

Still work just fine for day to day driving and highway driving.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 435i Xdrive
My wife's 345i has got some serious pulsing right now. The place I purchased it is going to "cut" the rotors for free, but this is a solution I have never been fond of. BMW wants $225 per rotor which insane. I found these on Amazon and the price is right, I guess they will work? Dealer says unless they are drilled/slotted from the factory they all had 340mm rotors.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0741R67T6...ustomerReviews _sl_

Last edited by NormWild; 09-09-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormWild View Post
My wife's 345i has got some serious pulsing right now. The place I purchased it is going to "cut" the rotors for free, but this is a solution I have never been fond of. BMW wants $225 per rotor which insane. I found these on Amazon and the price is right, I guess they will work? Dealer says unless they are drilled/slotted from the factory they all had 340mm rotors.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0741R67T6...ustomerReviews _sl_
Is it 435i instead of 345i? M or non-M?

The front rotor is 340x30 for non M-sport($140 online), but M sport is 370x30.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 435i Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Is it 435i instead of 345i? M or non-M?

The front rotor is 340x30 for non M-sport($140 online), but M sport is 370x30.
Yes, I am stupid, 435i. Thanks, it does have some M badging, like on the door sill, but the rotors are not drilled/slotted, so assuming 340mm.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search