Alternator Issue at 33K 2015 x1 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto: 15' x1 2.8x drive
Alternator Issue at 33K 2015 x1

I was at a friends cabin for the weekend in northern MN...was packing my 2015 x1 xdrive28i...then I went to start it to roll down the windows and the engine would not start. I tried multiple times...nothing...so I turn everything off to go in the house when I notice a loud noise coming from the engine bay.

I pop the hood and I can hear the alternator making a loud whizzing sound...it was starting to smell bad and I could see smoke coming from the alternator.

So meanwhile the car is off...the engine is off...yet the alternator continues to make loud whizzing sound and the smoke starts to get worse. I disconnect the battery and let things settle down for a spell.

Reconnect the battery 10 minutes later...the car starts and I head home on my 3+ hour drive.

WHAT HAPPENED????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 06:38 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
If there is a need to have the engine running - "start it to roll down the windows" - then there are deep issues.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
If there is a need to have the engine running - "start it to roll down the windows" - then there are deep issues.
force of habit...i just habitually went to start the car with the intention to roll down the windows to cool off the car...starting the car is/was not necessary to roll down the windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 06:57 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
On mine remote fob, a long press of UNLOCK will open up the X5 windows and sunroof.

I learned that from 50 yards away in a motel room in a thunderstorm while wearing evidently too tight Levis.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
On mine remote fob, a long press of UNLOCK will open up the X5 windows and sunroof.

I learned that from 50 yards away in a motel room in a thunderstorm while wearing evidently too tight Levis.
good to know, thx!
Old 08-05-2019, 08:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
O
Yup, me too.
Coded that out as soon as I could.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: X1 2.0L xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenx1 View Post
I was at a friends cabin for the weekend in northern MN...was packing my 2015 x1 xdrive28i...then I went to start it to roll down the windows and the engine would not start. I tried multiple times...nothing...so I turn everything off to go in the house when I notice a loud noise coming from the engine bay.

I pop the hood and I can hear the alternator making a loud whizzing sound...it was starting to smell bad and I could see smoke coming from the alternator.

So meanwhile the car is off...the engine is off...yet the alternator continues to make loud whizzing sound and the smoke starts to get worse. I disconnect the battery and let things settle down for a spell.

Reconnect the battery 10 minutes later...the car starts and I head home on my 3+ hour drive.

WHAT HAPPENED????????
I have no idea what would have caused that other than to say generically "failed alternator" If you literally saw smoke coming out of the alternator I would say hands down replace it. If you let that go then next time it acts up you might get 30 or 40 volts out of it frying the electrical systems and computers in your car if the internal voltage regulator is the next symptom you see.

If I had to guess I would say something caused an electrical short between the alternator pos. terminal and or internal components to chassis/ground. Maybe water got into it and the whizzing sound was steam evaporating off the hot terminals.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:05 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvadam View Post
If you literally saw smoke coming out of the alternator I would say hands down replace it
+1 to this. No question about it - if I saw smoke coming out of my alternator, then it's getting replaced. Period.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search