Two part problem-Coolant & Oil!??? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto:
Two part problem-Coolant & Oil!???

I have a 2014 BMW X1 Sdrive. I purchased about a month ago, it had a great service record... always serviced at the dealership on time. So everything appeared great, until I was driving up to Park City, Utah. The car over heated I pulled over and had it taken back to my house. It pulled the code P0128. I changed the thermostat as well as the expansion tank, replaced the coolant and bled the coolant system twice. I cannot see any visible coolant leaks, I was thinking head gasket??? But I do not see the sign of coolant in the oil (milky or cloudy oil). The car drives fine around town since I changed the thermostat and expansion tank, but when you get on the freeway it starts to overheat. When I pulled over and let it cool down I checked the expansion tank and it was not dry like it was previously before I replaced the thermostat and expansion tank. I have this feeling that this is a two fold problem... I feel like there is an oil problem as well, but for whatever reason it is not sending a code for it. I feel like it is low on oil but the sensor is not detecting it, the oil sensor says it is "OK" and is at the Third bar, but the strange thing is that even when I added more oil it stayed at the same level... but I do want to mention that when I did add oil it was very strange I did see oil coming out in the front side but I couldn't see exact location. I DO know that too much oil is just as bad as not enough oil. I really do hate that the only way to check the oil level is by the sensor, there really should be a manual way to check it as well ! I would just go get an oil change to be sure, but I don't want to do that just to have another problem that basically makes the oil change a waste of time, like blown head gasket. I have been trying to find any other posts regarding this type of issue, but I have been unable to find a post about an oil sensor manfunctioning that the "oil level is good when it's not" only that the oil sensor says "oil level low when it's not" ANY help would be greatly appreciated! *** I forgot to mention that the water pump and fan work. *** Just checked this morning and the expansion tank is dry!!! UGH!!!!

Last edited by 8eth; 09-03-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: new info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 10:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Are you using a generic scanner or a BMW specific scanner? I would do an oil change and measure precisely how much comes out. Then add precisely the right amount. Also. I think it’s possible your coolant temperature sensor could be bad. Did you get an “engine overheated” warning?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 09-03-2019, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto:
It was a generic scanner. I did notice upon further inspection that the new expansion tank bottom connection was ill fitting and was leaking from that area... so I replaced the expansion tank back to the old one and it is not leaking anymore from that area. I am now going to take it for a test drive. I did get an engine overheating warning both times. I agree with your idea about the oil change that is definitely a must... it's so frustrating to have to do that just to check the amount of oil in the engine. Thank you!

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
coolant, expansion tank, head gasket, oil sensor, over heating, thermostat, x1

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search