Reg BMW Maintenance Contract and Extended Warrenty - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-11-2019, 07:56 AM
rev692 rev692 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2016 328i GT Xdrive
Reg BMW Maintenance Contract and Extended Warrenty

Hello Guys,
I am very new here, got my first BMW recently from Carvana. Car is 2016 F34 . and had 42420 when i purchased it.

My question is what do you guys suggest about the
service packages and Extended warranty.
My car is Currently on 46000 miles

I visited local BMW dealer and he quoted me

3350 For service contract upto 100000 miles irrespective of years , which includes brake job as well ( i liked it!!) .

2250 for the extended warranty. upto 7 years or 100000 miles (I didnt get what 7 years is he talking about, can anyone clarify this) . He said it cover the electrical stuff as well.

i checked the service records of my car and see that the brakes havent been replaced at all.

people who are expertise in these !!! need your suggestions/ help/ feedback.

Thanks
Rev
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-11-2019, 08:27 AM
southcoastguy southcoastguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mattapoisett, MA
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 646
Mein Auto: 328xi
I self-insure.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-11-2019, 10:24 AM
SteveinArizona SteveinArizona is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Greater Phoenix
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,293
Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoastguy View Post
I self-insure.
I would want to know how the car was serviced. Self insurance makes good fiscal sense so long as the owner has the capacity to pay for large repairs if they happen and if you know the service history of the car.

Without both of those, I would be wary of going naked.

Be aware that there are different kinds of BMW branded extended warranties and they cover different parts. With BMW, almost everything is expensive. If you look at third party warranties, look for a company with a long history and good reviews.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 09-11-2019, 12:04 PM
rev692 rev692 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2016 328i GT Xdrive
Thanks for the response SteveinArizona !!

The services previously was done by BMW itself., it is a one owner car.
i was the 2nd owner now. My CBS is showing brakes in 1500miles .
so since they said maintenance covered including the brakes, i was wondering is it a good deal?


and reg the warranty i would guess it is gold package extended warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-11-2019, 12:05 PM
rev692 rev692 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2016 328i GT Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoastguy View Post
I self-insure.
So which self insureance would you suggest ?

when i searched in google almost everytime i encountered carchex !!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-11-2019, 12:23 PM
namelessman namelessman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: northern california
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,240
Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev692 View Post
Thanks for the response SteveinArizona !!

The services previously was done by BMW itself., it is a one owner car.
i was the 2nd owner now. My CBS is showing brakes in 1500miles .
so since they said maintenance covered including the brakes, i was wondering is it a good deal?


and reg the warranty i would guess it is gold package extended warranty.
Mine has been showing 1600 miles for rear for a year now, and rear pads are still 4mm(min. is 3mm). My front now shows 1800 miles left but has at least 7mm of pads.

When service checks the brakes, they will measure pad thickness and rotor thickness, and will replace for free(if maintenance covers it) when they are below min. spec.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-11-2019, 01:02 PM
southcoastguy southcoastguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mattapoisett, MA
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 646
Mein Auto: 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev692 View Post
So which self insureance would you suggest ?

when i searched in google almost everytime i encountered carchex !!
"Self-insurance" means that I plan on paying for it out of my own pocket. These policies cost thousands of dollars. i make a calculation about how much I expect to spend on maintenance in the next few years plus some amount for repairs (that are actually covered) by the contract.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-11-2019, 01:07 PM
SteveinArizona SteveinArizona is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Greater Phoenix
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,293
Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoastguy View Post
"Self-insurance" means that I plan on paying for it out of my own pocket. These policies cost thousands of dollars. i make a calculation about how much I expect to spend on maintenance in the next few years plus some amount for repairs (that are actually covered) by the contract.
If you have the maintenance history, and it has been solid, and you can afford the repair if there is an unusual and expensive breakdown, then I agree that it makes more sense to self insure. Put aside each month the money you would have paid for the service contracts and use that to pay for maintenance and repairs.

BMWs can be expensive to repair but they don't break down a lot (but being a luxury car there is a lot more to break down than on a subcompact regular car).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-11-2019, 01:44 PM
rev692 rev692 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2016 328i GT Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
If you have the maintenance history, and it has been solid, and you can afford the repair if there is an unusual and expensive breakdown, then I agree that it makes more sense to self insure. Put aside each month the money you would have paid for the service contracts and use that to pay for maintenance and repairs.

BMWs can be expensive to repair but they don't break down a lot (but being a luxury car there is a lot more to break down than on a subcompact regular car).
thanks for it,, i'll make a note .
and reg the maintenance contract i am asking various dealers around me. !!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-11-2019, 01:45 PM
rev692 rev692 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2016 328i GT Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoastguy View Post
"Self-insurance" means that I plan on paying for it out of my own pocket. These policies cost thousands of dollars. i make a calculation about how much I expect to spend on maintenance in the next few years plus some amount for repairs (that are actually covered) by the contract.
oh yah, nowi got it
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2016 3 series, bmw, bmw 'geniuses', bmw 328i, bmw gt, extended maintenance, extended warranties, f34 3 series gt, maintainace, warrenty


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.