F31 M Sport rear Tow Eye Cover FALLS OFF! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 328dX Wagon
F31 M Sport rear Tow Eye Cover FALLS OFF!

So, I bought a lease return 2016 328DX M sport wagon.
When I got the car, the rear cover for the tow eye on the bumper was a little loose, and wiggled a bit.
Eventually, it fell off.... But, I FOUND IT in the parking lot at work! SCORED!

So I looked at it closely, and one of the lower tabs was broken, the one that goes into a slot in the bumper to lock it in. So, I did what every body would do, and glued it on, with shoe goo.

Life was good for about 6 months, then I noticed it was missing again one day after a triple digit hill climb on the way to work. So I ordered a replacement. To my chagrin, they only come primered! So I ordered some matching spray paint. The part came from GetBMWParts.com much faster than the paint. When it arrived, I wanted to plug that hole, so I snapped it in. It went in so nicely and solidly that I was worried about getting it back off when the paint arrived....

About 8-9 days went by, and (WTF?!) can you believe it, it is missing again!!!

I pondered this for a few days, thinking that I must have missed some minor detail that prevented it from snapping in. Then, while driving in slow traffic one day, I saw a nice 340i M Sport that has the exact same bumper styling as my car, and IT was MISSING the SAME cover.
Coincidence? Or design defect? Anyone had this happen to them also? I want to DEFINITELY NOT LOSE the reordered part AFTER I PAINT it!!

Are folks gluing these in? IF so, with what type of glue?

Thanks in advance.

R,
Target

Last edited by Target 2018; 09-11-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 08:46 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Itís been said to be a part thatís often stolen, why I canít say. At least that was the thinking, but maybe it fell off rather than being stolen. Isnít there a plastic strap that also keeps the cover from getting detached?
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Old 09-11-2019, 10:59 PM
Dinggg....what now!

Mein Auto: '04 525i
It's stolen becoz it drops off whilst driving.Bad design me thinks....

Old 09-13-2019, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 328dX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
Itís been said to be a part thatís often stolen, why I canít say. At least that was the thinking, but maybe it fell off rather than being stolen. Isnít there a plastic strap that also keeps the cover from getting detached?
So, the new part DID have a plastic arm on it, which I thought was there solely for painting, and I also thought required removal for the part to fit into the bumper receptacle properly, so, I broke it off before snapping it in.

I don't see how you would secure it inside the bumper to be honest, but I will take a closer look when the (2nd) replacement part comes in, maybe slide under when I do the next OC and/or the rear brakes that are due.

Good question, AndDown, thanks.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search