E30 paint job - where to begin? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 1989 325i cabrio (E30)
E30 paint job - where to begin?

Hey all — I think I'm finally going to pull the trigger on repainting my 1989 E30 cabrio 160k.

It's still wearing the original factory diamantschwarz paint job and aesthetically the original paint job is not terrible, but this is more about preventing disaster. There are some spots e.g. along the vertical edge of the doors where the black has worn down, or (less than) occasional stone chips… I'm worried about these turning into rust spots. (I would keep this in the original color.)
  • What I'm hearing is to plan on around $2500-3000 for the full job done right (i.e. not the Plastic Dip) — does that sound right?
  • Is it really necessary to strip off all the original clear coat?
  • Is doing the door jambs/engine compartment worthwhile?

If anyone has a good referral in the NYC area that would be helpful too -- thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 1989 325i cabrio (E30)
If anyone has a good referral in the NYC area that would be helpful too -- thanks!
Old 08-29-2019, 03:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 88 M3x2 86 330i 4 e36's
Contact your local BMWCCA chapter and use three local shops and then compare the estimates. Prepare for sticker shop as non insurance work is far more expensive than collision work. Might want to contact Levent at https://www.facebook.com/gutenparts/ They specialize in older BMW and were born on E30's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2019, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 325es
unfortunately I would say that that price seems a bit on the low side although it not unheard of to get an ok job for that price. So much goes into painting a car just from what you are providing its hard to really ball park. it depends on paint codes, the paint manufacturer the facilities labor rates which vary from place to place. if they are painting the entire car or just spot fixing it, doing jambs, rust repair, removing and installing all the trim and seals and hardware or just taping everything off. I can tell you that just a gallon of a high quality clear such as glasurit is going to cost about 400-600 dollars and then you have sand paper, primer, hardner, reducer, sealer, color all which if you are going high quality materials get very expensive. as I said, so much to goes into it. I think the best advise I could give you as a painting professional is to really do your homework on what shops are good that are in your area and really dig into the research there are a lot of ****ty shops with good google reviews. ask to talk to their other customers. if they really are good they should have no problem giving you a tour of their shop, providing references, etc. Then once you decide you have the right shop for you take them your car and get a quote. good luck with the project! I hope you find someone that will take care of your baby.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)
Today's Posts Search