N20 Castrol Black / Gold 5W-30 ? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
The Mobil 1 oil change or removal of LL01 spec on their bottles was confusing to me.
I was under the impression that Mobil changed their oil, not BMW changing their spec.

For example, the N20 and N55 engines for the E84 had (and still has) an LL01 spec.
The engines in owners' cars haven't changed, so if Mobil's oil still met the original LL01 spec, they should be able to label it on their bottle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: X1 2.0L xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
The Mobil 1 oil change or removal of LL01 spec on their bottles was confusing to me.
I was under the impression that Mobil changed their oil, not BMW changing their spec.

For example, the N20 and N55 engines for the E84 had (and still has) an LL01 spec.
The engines in owners' cars haven't changed, so if Mobil's oil still met the original LL01 spec, they should be able to label it on their bottle.
They cannot continue labeling the oil as LL01 spec if the spec was changed and they didn't re-certify their oil. It needs to meet the new spec to label the bottle as such. Similarly, a car with a 5-star crash rating from 10 years ago is not the same as a 5-star rating today because the specs have changed.

It also doesn't make sense to me that M1 would spend all the time and money certifying their oil and then change it for no apparent reason knowing they would lose certification. And if they changed the oil they would have to do all the certifications over again not just LL01
Old 08-26-2019, 11:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvadam View Post
They cannot continue labeling the oil as LL01 spec if the spec was changed and they didn't re-certify their oil. It needs to meet the new spec to label the bottle as such. Similarly, a car with a 5-star crash rating from 10 years ago is not the same as a 5-star rating today because the specs have changed.

It also doesn't make sense to me that M1 would spend all the time and money certifying their oil and then change it for no apparent reason knowing they would lose certification. And if they changed the oil they would have to do all the certifications over again not just LL01
Then why didn't BMW change the spec label, or name it different? (like LL02 or whatever)
If oil meets the spec at the time of engine manufacturing, shouldn't that remain valid for the life of the car?
Old 08-27-2019, 12:04 AM

Mein Auto: X1 2.0L xdrive
Quote:
Then why didn't BMW change the spec label, or name it different? (like LL02 or whatever)
If oil meets the spec at the time of engine manufacturing, shouldn't that remain valid for the life of the car?
It should yes and it might just be an issue of M1 getting it recertified, or reducing the amount of sulphur in their oil. It is all very ambiguous when we start guessing why they do what they do. They also have LL04 which is backwards compatible with LL01 and they have LL01FE where FE stands for fuel efficiency and LL stands for long life.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:28 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvadam View Post
I change my own oil but it does make me wonder about people going to typical oil change shops and paying the $100+ for the "full-synthetic oil change". There is no way they stock every manufacturer's spec oil or even know what they are for that matter so at best you are getting the proper grade 5w-30 of whatever brand they have in the 55gal drum and then running it for the ridiculously long 1 year or 15k miles or whatever it is. But of course, they aren't responsible for you engine wearing out "prematurely" either.
My VERY first oil change on my very first BMW (my 328i) was done at a quick-lube shop. I was ~1,500 miles away from home picking the car up, and the used car dealer that sold me the car was, well, let's say I didn't fully trust anything they told me..... The car is actually a really good car and was well cared for, so I got lucky. But the used car dealer told me they did an "oil change so it's good for a couple years now" I literally drove about half a mile down the street to a Mr. Lube drive-through oil change and had them change it. Once I got the car home, another oil change was done with BMW OEM oil. Now I do all my oil changes at the dealer, once per year (the cars only get ~6K miles on them per year, if that).

Quote:

Ahhhhh, I understand what you're saying. But that being said, the same train of thought could be used for old vehicles and leaded gasoline. If leaded was the spec back when that car was built, why can't we buy it and use it today ? Specs change and are constantly improved. Kind of like how mechanical parts are changed and improved. Think of the N20's timing chain guide, or the N54's HPFP. The "spec" those components had when they were new have changed, so replacement components get the updated versions, not the originals.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search