The official E36 OT Thread!! - Page 4075 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 11:41 AM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
We missed out on the freezing rain/icy roads here, just 200 miles from where Amber is socked in with ice everywhere.

NO ONE down here but the snowbirds have snow tires on their cars, so 2" of snow is instant pandemonium and hilarity (as long as you aren't part of the wreck). Throw a little ice on the bridges and we have a qualifying round for the automobile ice dancing event at the Olympics.

Hey Amber!
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
BMW-CCA #441426

1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2014, 01:53 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
T'wasn't $90, but was some damn fine Alberta Beef. Best steaks you're likely to ever have
No thanks, I don't like frozen steak.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
// 1997 Land Rover Discovery // 1998 Land Rover Discovery //
// 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 // 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 //
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //
Ok...this is getting ridiculous. Someone come buy a few of these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 01-25-2014, 02:04 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbarbie View Post
Good morning everyone! Blizzard weather here too, so of course everything has come to a screeching halt.

Sent from my SM-N900V using BimmerApp mobile app
Hey Amber!

Long time no posts! Hope everything's been going well!
Old 01-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Official Queen of E36 OT

Send a message via AIM to bimmerbarbie
Mein Auto: 93ish 325ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
amber!! howyadoowin??

hmmm,...tacos, to brats, to t-bones!! i'm in!!

df
Hiiiiiiii!! I've been doing well, just ready for the weather to calm down so I can drive ash again. How are y'all??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
We missed out on the freezing rain/icy roads here, just 200 miles from where Amber is socked in with ice everywhere.

NO ONE down here but the snowbirds have snow tires on their cars, so 2" of snow is instant pandemonium and hilarity (as long as you aren't part of the wreck). Throw a little ice on the bridges and we have a qualifying round for the automobile ice dancing event at the Olympics.

Hey Amber!
Yes, exactly! Technically I don't think we even got snow yesterday just the sleet and mounds of ice. Or if it did, I didn't see it. But still they closed the interstates (best way to prevent mayhem and vehicular carnage) and so gave me pretty much the weekend off because it was super scary in the Hitler wagon and I said no to my commute to work.

The ice really is pretty looking, but I think I'll keep my glass icicles on the Christmas trees and you Yankees can have the real icicles back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Hey Amber!

Long time no posts! Hope everything's been going well!

Hello hello! Mhm finally upgraded my phone so I can fest without screaming and breaking things so yay here am I! All is well with you I hope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
... We all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around...
Old 01-25-2014, 02:56 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Hey Folks! I'm back on the mainland... And a bit groggy from my red eye flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
i actually liked my iridiums, just found the tips burned out far faster than with coppers.
Yeah, my car ran great with the iridium plugs, but i was quite surprised to find that half of the electrodes had melted off. So it seems that iridium plugs work well, but don't last. Better to just get the coppers, which last a long time and work just as well (and are cheaper).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer claus View Post
Our cars burn oil period. You don't want a tiny tip. Platinums are beyond god awful. If you want chunks of a spark plug bouncing around in the combustion chamber... get those.
Mine never has, but I suppose it isn't terribly uncommon in higher mileage engines (of any make). My Maxima didn't burn a single drop of oil when I sent it to the scrap yard with 203k miles on it.

Quote:
I actually just ordered new dual ground ngk's for her as well as all new royal purple fluids for everything...
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Update on the E36 vs. E24 incident....
Glad the damage isn't as bad as you expected. And at the end of the day, it was just a very unfortunate accident, but at least it was your daughter and not some anonymous person in a parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapes328i View Post
Attachment 418786 is there a way I could get around that ^ what I wanna call a "wire harness" not sure what it is, to get to the last bolt on the coil , valve cover?
You don't need to remove the wiring harness to access the nuts for the valve cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapes328i View Post
I'll try it. do you know the torque wrench specs for the vcg?
Consult the Bentley manual. Don't go at this project blind.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGerman; 01-25-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Santa

Mein Auto: 95 M3
Welcome back Karl! Hope you had a nice time. Can't possibly imagine how you couldn't have though. Unless they have some weird e36 burning ritual over there....
Old 01-25-2014, 04:01 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Quote:
Welcome back Karl! Hope you had a nice time. Can't possibly imagine how you couldn't have though. Unless they have some weird e36 burning ritual over there....
Yeah, I had a good time. I'm happy to be back in Seattle, though. That said, I start my new job on Monday, so I'm a bit sad that my free time is about to end.

I saw a decent amount of E36s while in Hawaii, although none of them were very nice. Mostly just daily driver 325 and 318 sedans in bone stock configuration. The whip of choice for locals is definitely a lifted Toyota Tacoma. In general, I find that people drive horribly in Hawaii. I mean, a huge percentage of people driving in Hawaii are tourists, and so they're not familiar with A) the car they're driving, or B) the roads they're driving on, so it's somewhat excusable. But even so, people generally drive SO. DAMN. SLOW. in Hawaii - even the locals. And when I say they drive slow, I mean, they drive 10-15 under the speed limit, for no apparent reason. It was infuriating, but then I guess you're supposed to "live aloha" when on the islands...

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 01-25-2014, 04:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 328iS
Sitting in the m4 was awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1390692942201.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	418899  
Old 01-25-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbarbie View Post
Hiiiiiiii!! I've been doing well, just ready for the weather to calm down so I can drive ash again. How are y'all??

Yes, exactly! Technically I don't think we even got snow yesterday just the sleet and mounds of ice. Or if it did, I didn't see it. But still they closed the interstates (best way to prevent mayhem and vehicular carnage) and so gave me pretty much the weekend off because it was super scary in the Hitler wagon and I said no to my commute to work.

The ice really is pretty looking, but I think I'll keep my glass icicles on the Christmas trees and you Yankees can have the real icicles back.

Hello hello! Mhm finally upgraded my phone so I can fest without screaming and breaking things so yay here am I! All is well with you I hope?

Generally so! I no longer have an E36, thanks to a texting driver smashing me in the rear......
Old 01-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
actually getting a small(ish) refund this year,.....am pleasantly suprised.

now,...as if i didn't know where this is going

turbo the e28??

cams for the ti??

new television??

df
Old 01-25-2014, 04:46 PM
Santa

http://store.bimmerworld.com/e36z3-6...-kit-p582.aspx
Does this actually work guys? I'd much rather just rely on the aux fan then have to install a spal puller on the back side. Just sick of radiator fans exploding...repeatedly. Hoods and radiators aren't cheap. I'm also putting in a stewart water pump and refreshing everything else. Minus the radiator which is only two years old. Or i will replace it with a 3 core aluminum to help compensate.
DF get a tv you'll use it the most.

Last edited by bimmer claus; 01-25-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:06 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Generally so! I no longer have an E36, thanks to a texting driver smashing me in the rear......
Don, do you know if the driver who hit you was cited for distracted driving (due to texting)? I know an increasing number of states are starting to enforce tougher laws on that stuff.

Quote:
Does this actually work guys? I'd much rather just rely on the aux fan then have to install a spal puller on the back side. Just sick of radiator fans exploding...repeatedly. Hoods and radiators aren't cheap. I'm also putting in a stewart water pump and refreshing everything else. Minus the radiator which is only two years old. Or i will replace it with a 3 core aluminum to help compensate.
It "works" if everything else in your cooling system is working perfectly. In other words, you are removing your car's primary cooling system, and in doing so, you are removing a safety net. That is not a risk I'd be willing to take in an E36, especially given the high consequences associated with overheating them. You gotta have a puller fan installed, be it mechanical or electric. That's my stance.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 01-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Don, do you know if the driver who hit you was cited for distracted driving (due to texting)? I know an increasing number of states are starting to enforce tougher laws on that stuff.

It "works" if everything else in your cooling system is working perfectly. In other words, you are removing your car's primary cooling system, and in doing so, you are removing a safety net. That is not a risk I'd be willing to take in an E36, especially given the high consequences associated with overheating them. You gotta have a puller fan installed, be it mechanical or electric. That's my stance.
Bah I'll just opt for the Spal then. I know these cars are finicky when it comes to cooling...The whole setup for the electric fan conversion is only like 200-230 bucks. I payed that much for a radiator...2 times. Don't feel like having a repeat.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Back in the game

Mein Auto: 1997 m3
Quote:
I saw a decent amount of E36s while in Hawaii, although none of them were very nice. Mostly just daily driver 325 and 318 sedans in bone stock configuration. The whip of choice for locals is definitely a lifted Toyota Tacoma. In general, I find that people drive horribly in Hawaii. I mean, a huge percentage of people driving in Hawaii are tourists, and so they're not familiar with A) the car they're driving, or B) the roads they're driving on, so it's somewhat excusable. But even so, people generally drive SO. DAMN. SLOW. in Hawaii - even the locals. And when I say they drive slow, I mean, they drive 10-15 under the speed limit, for no apparent reason. It was infuriating, but then I guess you're supposed to "live aloha" when on the islands...
Ah yes, I remember people "driving with aloha". It was especially frustrating Kauai because the highest posted speed on the island is 45 in Lihue. "Oh that beach is 15 miles away, ok we'll be there in an hour."

See any locals on the hunt while you were hiking? I wish I had my camera to catch these guys with a pack of dogs and a dead boar. Back at the trailhead he tied the boar to the roof of his lifted Tacoma (surprised?). Badass.

Quote:
Electric puller fan mod. So easy, Jose can do it!

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:15 PM
Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnserioJose View Post
Electric puller fan mod. So easy, Jose can do it!
Any insight on parts and etc? I was looking at bimmerworlds kit. However I'm greatly considering piecing my own together considering the half arse nature of it. Mainly what puller fan are you running and did you buy a pre-made relay?
Old 01-25-2014, 05:30 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Don't bother converting to an electric puller unless you use one in conjunction with a sealed shroud. I like the kits at Zionsville.

http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...ode/CCSE36.htm

They're spendy, but if you're going to do something, do it right, do it once. That said, I just don't see the point of doing all that on a street car. The OEM setup works great if you make sure your fan and motor mounts aren't old.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 01-25-2014, 05:32 PM
Santa

http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...de/BOASAET.htm
Actually just saw this one Karl. Looks awesome aluminum expansion tank is a hugeee plus means I could delete the shroud and run a euro beauty cover. Plus I'd get to delete the hideous AUX fan in the front... More airflow to the radiator and my intake...Coupled with the overhauled system, it should be a little monster.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:37 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

You don't want to delete the AUX fan unless you also delete the A/C. The condenser needs the AUX fan to keep the A/C system from overheating.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 01-25-2014, 05:43 PM
Santa

Quote:
You don't want to delete the AUX fan unless you also delete the A/C. The condenser needs the AUX fan to keep the A/C system from overheating.
Hmmmmm, it's odd that they'd even offer that as an option. I'll clearly run a separate relay then.
Final question should I retain the stock thermostat temp? (88) or kick it down to 80 for safeties sake. I will not be DD this car at all it's going to be driven, no stop and go traffic or anything like that. Way too many factors to consider on these systems, it sucks to try and configure a setup.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:48 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

The lower temp t-stat doesn't cause your engine to run cooler. It just opens the t-stat a smidgen sooner, which is pointless for a street car.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 01-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Santa

Quote:
The lower temp t-stat doesn't cause your engine to run cooler. It just opens the t-stat a smidgen sooner, which is pointless for a street car.
Stock T-stat it is then. Thank god for tax returns.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:18 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
As much as I don't like the stock for for obvious reasons, it will outflow just about anything.

Quote:
This. People don't seem to understand the engine won't run any cooler because there is no E36 cooling system that can keep it that cold.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 01-25-2014, 06:29 PM
Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
As much as I don't like the stock for for obvious reasons, it will outflow just about anything.

This. People don't seem to understand the engine won't run any cooler because there is no E36 cooling system that can keep it that cold.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Gotcha makes sense. I just did some searching and pieced together a really nice setup for 190 bucks. 2070cfm puller, stealth mounting brackets ...not the ghetto through the radiator or cheese holed ones...and the relay was like 35 bucks. Just trying to get all of the maintenance stuff out of the way before I start digging too deep into modding with cams and what not..
Old 01-25-2014, 07:05 PM
Back in the game

Mein Auto: 1997 m3
I got a good deal on a mishimoto aluminum radiator and electric fan with shroud. The components are pretty good quality for the price. If i wanted to pay for premium I'd go Zionsville for sure. I check my fan regularly and if it starts acting up I'll throw a Spal in there. The relay was from bimmerworld and i used CJ's thread as a guide (i think CJ, you're getting the credit either way). I impro-neered a way to attach an oem expansion tank to the aluminum shroud.

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
She cried a lot and the cop cut her a break. He showed her as at fault in the accident report but didn't issue her a traffic citation. We have a no texting statute her in Florida as of last July, but it's a secondary offense and they can only give a texting citation in conjunction with a primary citation.

If we'd had to take it to court to get the property damage settled we were going to subpoena her phone records...........

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
-*nga*-, 12-6 cloud: yes or no?, :3, because racemower!!, chads looking for a new audi, no tag integrity pls, pls stop erasing da damn tags, what's integrity?, whats audi?, you guys crack me up...

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search