X5 E70 CCC upgrade to 10.25" Android - Page 9 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F01 & E71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_kuma View Post
Hopefully you will have the write-up ready by this weekend. I have this unit for 2-3 weeks now and finally this coming weekend is the only time I have to install it. Looking forward for a write-up!
I would like to help as well. I can give you basic steps if you would like to, It's not that complicated.

Excuse my English since I'm not an English speaker.

- Remove the AC grill (just pop it up from one side carefully) and disconnect connectors.

- Remove the radio trim. Two screwa on the top, then use a pry tool from the button right or left corner until it pops out alittle bit, then remove it along with the connectors.

- Now, you can see two screws for the CCC unit, and two more screws for the screen.

- I assume that you have CCC not CIC since your car is 2009. Remove all connectors from the old screen.

- Now, remove the CCC main connector from the back side of the Radio. It looks like this:

- Carefully remove the Audio fiber optic connector from that main connector:

- Connect the Audio fiber optic to the new connector from the big cable you received with the screen, make sure you put it in the same socket exactly as it was placed in the old connector:

- Connect the Old connector to the male connector of the new harness cable.

- Connect the other end where you pluged the Fiber Optic to to the CCC.

- Connect the new screen with the new small connectors, you will easily connect them without any hassle.

- Connect the Middle Speaker in and out to the speaker connector located behind the screen. You should disconnect the original, connect it to the video in.

- Connect the GPS receiver to the backside of the screen and find a convenient space where you can place it with a double face for the GPS signal.

- Connect the USB cable and put them in a convenient place for you. I made a hole and passed them to the glove box area.

- The AUX cable should go through the center console and pluged into the AUX dedicated input in the arm rest compartment. This is the only audio source to have audio out from the android, and in order to have audio you shoild switch the Audio source to AUX.

Put everything back in place and enjoy.

Quote:
Hopefully you will have the write-up ready by this weekend. I have this unit for 2-3 weeks now and finally this coming weekend is the only time I have to install it. Looking forward for a write-up!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Bimmerfest mobile app

Old 09-14-2017, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: F10
Thanks a lot, Dubai2013

I just hope they could develop this kind of screen for F10/11 too.

Last edited by Laiska; 09-14-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelskii View Post
I'm right over that bridge in the Bronx. Lmk if you wanna cross over one of these days.
Cool. I will send you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai2013 View Post
I would like to help as well. I can give you basic steps if you would like to, It's not that complicated.

Excuse my English since I'm not an English speaker.

- Remove the AC grill (just pop it up from one side carefully) and disconnect connectors.

- Remove the radio trim. Two screwa on the top, then use a pry tool from the button right or left corner until it pops out alittle bit, then remove it along with the connectors.

- Now, you can see two screws for the CCC unit, and two more screws for the screen.

- I assume that you have CCC not CIC since your car is 2009. Remove all connectors from the old screen.

- Now, remove the CCC main connector from the back side of the Radio. It looks like this:

- Carefully remove the Audio fiber optic connector from that main connector:

- Connect the Audio fiber optic to the new connector from the big cable you received with the screen, make sure you put it in the same socket exactly as it was placed in the old connector:

- Connect the Old connector to the male connector of the new harness cable.

- Connect the other end where you pluged the Fiber Optic to to the CCC.

- Connect the new screen with the new small connectors, you will easily connect them without any hassle.

- Connect the Middle Speaker in and out to the speaker connector located behind the screen. You should disconnect the original, connect it to the video in.

- Connect the GPS receiver to the backside of the screen and find a convenient space where you can place it with a double face for the GPS signal.

- Connect the USB cable and put them in a convenient place for you. I made a hole and passed them to the glove box area.

- The AUX cable should go through the center console and pluged into the AUX dedicated input in the arm rest compartment. This is the only audio source to have audio out from the android, and in order to have audio you shoild switch the Audio source to AUX.

Put everything back in place and enjoy.

Thank you so much. This will definitely help.
As for the AUX, I currently have the AUX inside the armrest like everyone else. But can I keep that and ALSO route the new AUX with the 2 USB ports into the glove compartment so that way I will have 2 AUX. Is that possible?

Last edited by ill_kuma; 09-14-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Cool. I will send you a PM.

Thank you so much. This will definitely help.
As for the AUX, I currently have the AUX inside the armrest like everyone else. But can I keep that and ALSO route the new AUX with the 2 USB ports into the glove compartment so that way I will have 2 AUX. Is that possible?
Hello. I don't think so. The android sound will work only whenever you switch the Audio source to AUX. I am connecting the AUX cable to the armrest aux **** as soon as I need to play music or videos through Android.

The navigation voice will be working regardless of the Audio source since you will be connecting it directly to the middle speaker.

I recommend Sygic navigation app. It's simply amazing:

Old 09-14-2017, 08:02 PM

Dubai2013, can you write a link to the selling page of your screen, please?
Old 09-14-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laiska View Post
Dubai2013, can you write a link to the selling page of your screen, please?
Sure.

10.25"Touch Android Intelligence Car Multimedia Player for BMW X5 E70 (2007-2013)/BMW X6 E71 (2007-2014)

http://s.aliexpress.com/3auEniMV
(from AliExpress Android)

Select between CCC and CIC.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks a lot, Dubai2013

I just hope they could develop this kind of screen for F10/11 too.

Hello Laiska, there is one for F10/F11 see the link below:

For BMW 5 Series F10 F11 2013~2016 LiisLee Car Multimedia GPS Audio Hi-Fi Radio Stereo Original Style For NBT Navigation NAVI

http://s.aliexpress.com/zI7zi2qY
(from AliExpress Android)

Old 09-15-2017, 06:48 AM

Yes, I know, but from ergonomical point of view it does not bring any advantage.

In X5 (E70) your new screen is much closer to the driver.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Yes, I know, but from ergonomical point of view it does not bring any advantage.

In X5 (E70) your new screen is much closer to the driver.

Yes that's right.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 E70
Quote:
Hello. I don't think so. The android sound will work only whenever you switch the Audio source to AUX. I am connecting the AUX cable to the armrest aux **** as soon as I need to play music or videos through Android.

The navigation voice will be working regardless of the Audio source since you will be connecting it directly to the middle speaker.
Is it only me or not, but the AUX from the android unit to me is really a second AUX audio in. I don't have to connect to AUX in the armrest. By typing this, I am sitting in the car playing music from my phone via 3.5 mm jack through it!
Old 09-15-2017, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplayer View Post
Is it only me or not, but the AUX from the android unit to me is really a second AUX audio in. I don't have to connect to AUX in the armrest. By typing this, I am sitting in the car playing music from my phone via 3.5 mm jack through it!
Let me guess, you have the HiFi audio system (one step up from the base audio) or at least the "new" base audio which, from what I heard, also has the external amp in the trunk?

This is just a wild-ass guess, but... the quadlock connector from the back of the original head unit carries the output (sound) signal:
a) directly to the speakers, using the internal amp in the stock HU (base audio system)
b) directly to the external amp in the trunk (hifi audio system)
c) nowhere, because the output signal is fed to the external (fiber optic) amp via fiber optic (logic 7 audio system)

So, again just (really, really) guessing here... if you have the HiFi system where the signal is not fiber optic and you do have an external amp, the sound probably works without using the Aux in connector in the armrest as the low-level signal from the new unit gets to the external amp via the quadlock wires just like the stock head unit. i.e. the two signal sources are just spliced into the same wires going back to the amp or maybe the original signal is cut-off completely? If you select, say radio on the stock unit, can you hear it? If not, they cut off the stock signal completely. If you can hear it they just splice the two signals together.

If you have base audio (old style, no external amp), the sound from the new unit probably doesn't work because it would need to be amplified and "mixed" with the output signal in the quadlock connector. I'm no audio/electronics expert but I don't think that would be good, or advisable, and the new unit would need it's own internal amp and back-feeding an amplified signal to the stock HU doesn't sound like a good idea at all. In this case I think the new unit would still be feeding a low-level signal to an already amplified signal from the stock HU and probably doesn't make much of a difference (?) and is not audible. Could it somehow distort the stock signal? I don't know... but my feeling is probably not. Also, as I mentioned above, if they cut off the stock signal then this doesn't matter.

Finally, if you have the logic 7 fiber optic system (is it even available in the X5?) then you will definitely not get any signal via the quadlock connector because the external amp gets its signal via fiber optic which doesn't even pass through this new unit. And I don't think it would matter because from what I understand, the audio format used in the logic 7 system is proprietary.

Again, I'm only guessing because from what I see the new unit comes with a quadlock 'bypass' harness, where you disconnect the original connector from the stock HU, plug that to one end of the new bypass harness, and finally plug the other end of the bypass harness back into the stock HU. If so, it makes sense that the new unit is trying to send the signal through those wires as well, but I think it only works if you have an external amp using copper inputs. For the other cases, using the Aux input in the armrest is the only way to get a signal into the factory system.

Phew, long post! Hope I'm not completely wrong and now look like an idiot.

If I'm right, AVIN or the other supplier on ebay should send me a unit for free for this important info! It's kind of ridiculous that there is no good documentation for these units. I mean, really?
Old 09-16-2017, 01:39 AM

My X5 has top-hifi. The diagram is enclosed so hopefully you don't have to guess I think the android head unit output audio through the LVDS cable to the CCC unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-09-16 14.34.37.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	666841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-09-16 14.34.17.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	666849  
Old 09-16-2017, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplayer View Post
My X5 has top-hifi. The diagram is enclosed so hopefully you don't have to guess I think the android head unit output audio through the LVDS cable to the CCC unit.
I don't think so. I think the LVDS cable provides video-only data to the screen.

You are saying you have the fiber optic system? If so, I can't see how you can get audio from the Android unit without using the aux in of the factory unit.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
This looks AWESOME! I was bummed not to have a back-up camera or Bluetooth but this seems to add both of those plus more. Thanks for posting!
Old 09-16-2017, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 4.8I, 2000 Vette
Anyone have any long term updates? Also how do you receive software updates? Has customer service been helpful?
Old 09-16-2017, 02:54 PM

X5 E70 CCC upgrade to 10.25" Android

I connected everything and startup the car but it's my original interface on their screen. How do I get to the android interface and do the initial setup?

Last edited by ill_kuma; 09-16-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I connected everything and startup the car but it's my original interface on their screen. How do I get to the android interface and do the initial setup?
Touch on the screen to switch to android interface.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
Is the screen plastic or glass?
Old 09-17-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:

I recommend Sygic navigation app. It's simply amazing:

How did you Route the aux cable into the armrest? There is no opening to make it look clean.

Also, I need to connect those speaker cables that came with the unit too?! I didn't do that . I tested the audio (BT phone, music, video...didn't test navigation) when I connected the aux to the armrest and it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 09-19-2017, 12:09 PM

Navigation voice in action along with Music Player through (AUX).

Old 09-19-2017, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
Are text messages notifications displayed on the original bmw app or do they show up on the Android menu?

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 09-19-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzdavE70 View Post
Are text messages notifications displayed on the original bmw app or do they show up on the Android menu?

Depends on what you get your phone connected with, Original or Android Bluetooth.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
I would use which ever aslong as I can view them.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:02 PM

The AUX sound is low compared to when I am using the original system. Like when I am playing movies and especially unusable when I tried to use the Bluetooth for phone calls. I have maxed out the all the volume on the Android side and dont know of a way to increase the AUX volume on the original system.

Also, since I MUST connect the "Audio Out" on the Android unit to the AUX in my armrest...is there a way for me to connect the "Audio Out" connector without having to run a 3.5mm audio cable to the AUX? Can I somehow make a connection directly from the back of the unit?
Old 09-20-2017, 02:03 PM

Double posted

Last edited by ill_kuma; 09-20-2017 at 02:06 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
10.25" ccc e70 android radio

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search