S5 vs 435xi - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 is350
S5 vs 435xi

My Lexus RCF got smashed so now I have to buy another car, I'm stepping into the German world finally. I have done a couple HPDE track events and would like to continue that in this next car as well.

I'm between the S5 and 435xi. Used of course because I'm a cheap bastard. I cannot decide for the life of me. Like I'm losing sleep over it, and I was hoping to get some help. My understanding via Car & Driver, is the S5 has better stats all around, braking distance, lateral grip, 1/4 mile, etc... but I hear its understear is bad. Neither will be stock. APR stage 2+ for the Audi, or a JB4 plus mods for the BMW.

1) Can the JB4 435 compare to the stage 2+ S5?
2) Would the 435xi have as ****ty understear?
3) Which car would you pick in my situation?

Thanks guys, appreciate any help!

Last edited by Michael Schott; 09-17-2018 at 02:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2018, 06:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2019 X3 Black Sapphire
To help with your decision making, be sure to ask your questions in an Audi forum too.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: E93 335i, somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfreaky View Post
....appreciate any help!

---> Drive them; report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY TRE View Post
Quote:
....appreciate any help!

---> Drive them; report back.

I did drive them. They both felt good but I couldn't take them to their limits with the salesman in the car with me lol
Old 09-17-2018, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 435i w/All M Options
Drive 'em and report back. Just remember the S5 is a VW Group product, so expect lousy warranty, unresponsive to covering known defects (refuse to recall), and very expensive parts / fixes. BMW is far and away better at recalling known defects or extending coverage. Have a truly great dealer and indies here, too. Call a few indie repair places and ask about repair costs of the Audi versus BMW. JMHO

Steven

2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.

Last edited by enjoythemusic; 09-17-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
I personally have not driven the S5 but let me put in my thoughts..

First of all unless I'm wrong about the model year, the Audi is supercharged.. so in terms of power it would feel a lot better. Not knowing how much a stage 2 will push the HP up, I would say that with a supercharger vs a turbo has it's limits, the turbo would eventually make more. However, stage 2 not being totally wild, maybe the Audi will win for power and feel. The 435xi I have driven the GC version and it feels pretty darned good. Every Audi that I have driven has massive understeer in comparison to the BMW's, I would expect no less in the S5. The Audi's have a really nice interior though, BMW is kind of getting old. Ultimately it's all up to personal preference and options available on the cars you're looking at.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I did drive them. They both felt good but I couldn't take them to their limits with the salesman in the car with me lol

You'll find limits appear too soon --> mods needed for smooth handling beyond the limit of your personal best.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
Every Audi that I have driven has massive understeer in comparison to the BMW's, I would expect no less in the S5.

You know why right? Audi has an answer: Torque Vectoring; Limited Slip.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 19 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
I personally have not driven the S5 but let me put in my thoughts..

First of all unless I'm wrong about the model year, the Audi is supercharged.. so in terms of power it would feel a lot better. Not knowing how much a stage 2 will push the HP up, I would say that with a supercharger vs a turbo has it's limits, the turbo would eventually make more. However, stage 2 not being totally wild, maybe the Audi will win for power and feel. The 435xi I have driven the GC version and it feels pretty darned good. Every Audi that I have driven has massive understeer in comparison to the BMW's, I would expect no less in the S5. The Audi's have a really nice interior though, BMW is kind of getting old. Ultimately it's all up to personal preference and options available on the cars you're looking at.

Last generation LCI S5 was a supercharged v6 while the pre LCI s5 was a V8. This generation S5 is a single turbo v6 also found in the base Panamera

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 09-17-2018, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Drive 'em and report back. Just remember the S5 is a VW Group product, so expect lousy warranty, unresponsive to covering known defects (refuse to recall), and very expensive parts / fixes. BMW is far and away better at recalling known defects or extending coverage. Have a truly great dealer and indies here, too. Call a few indie repair places and ask about repair costs of the Audi versus BMW. JMHO
These are used cars so they may not have any factory warranty remaining. As far as BMW dealers, like any dealer network itís a crap shoot. Same for VW group. I just had an out of warranty issue with my GTI. Between VW USA and the dealer they covered 75% of the cost. It was a cosmetic issue. Mechanically itís been flawless in 47,000 miles.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 16 435 CV Msport PPK, Q5
Quote:
My Lexus RCF got smashed so now I have to buy another car, I'm stepping into the German world finally. I have done a couple HPDE track events and would like to continue that in this next car as well.

I'm between the S5 and 435xi. Used of course because I'm a cheap bastard. I cannot decide for the life of me. Like I'm losing sleep over it, and I was hoping to get some help. My understanding via Car & Driver, is the S5 has better stats all around, braking distance, lateral grip, 1/4 mile, etc... but I hear its understear is bad. Neither will be stock. APR stage 2+ for the Audi, or a JB4 plus mods for the BMW.

1) Can the JB4 435 compare to the stage 2+ S5?
2) Would the 435xi have as ****ty understear?
3) Which car would you pick in my situation?

Thanks guys, appreciate any help!
Not an expert on Audi, but isn't the S5 more of a rival to the M cars? Seems to me the 435 is fighting out of it's weight class here.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
These are used cars so they may not have any factory warranty remaining. As far as BMW dealers, like any dealer network it's a crap shoot. Same for VW group. I just had an out of warranty issue with my GTI. Between VW USA and the dealer they covered 75% of the cost. It was a cosmetic issue. Mechanically it's been flawless in 47,000 miles.
My local dealer can get me a certified pre-owned with some sort of warranty. but he claims there aren't any for sale until late November because of some recall. I've driven Lexus or Honda my whole life, so I'm kinda scared about German reliability. Might buy another warranty once the CPO warranty expires
Old 09-18-2018, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone
Old 09-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
My local dealer can get me a certified pre-owned with some sort of warranty. but he claims there aren't any for sale until late November because of some recall. I've driven Lexus or Honda my whole life, so I'm kinda scared about German reliability. Might buy another warranty once the CPO warranty expires
Don't expect Japanese levels of reliability but the tradeoff is more driving excitement.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 19 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
Not an expert on Audi, but isn't the S5 more of a rival to the M cars? Seems to me the 435 is fighting out of it's weight class here.

The rs5 is the rival to the m3/4

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 09-18-2018, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto:
Since you mention 435xi I assuming you are probably looking between 2014 and 2016 for both cars. The Audi just got an update 2017-18, the new interior is really nice but the older ones are a little dated, both interior, powertrain and chassis. While there were updates with BMW, going to the 440 pretty similar. As far as reliability the Audi 2.0T is a good engine, but the 3.0T on the S models a little less so. Both should probably be similar as far as cost or reliability. I would go with the BMW if cannot decide on the driving dynamics. I would say if looking at the newer S5 vs 440 i would say S5.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergraz View Post
Since you mention 435xi I assuming you are probably looking between 2014 and 2016 for both cars. The Audi just got an update 2017-18, the new interior is really nice but the older ones are a little dated, both interior, powertrain and chassis. While there were updates with BMW, going to the 440 pretty similar. As far as reliability the Audi 2.0T is a good engine, but the 3.0T on the S models a little less so. Both should probably be similar as far as cost or reliability. I would go with the BMW if cannot decide on the driving dynamics. I would say if looking at the newer S5 vs 440 i would say S5.
It would most likely be a 2015 S5 and the same for the BMW. I drove a new S5 and I love it but I don't want that payment lol. I could live with the out dated interior of the S5 I think. So you're saying run with the BMW?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto:
I am coming from Audi I have driven both of these. My preference for the 2015 comparisons is go with the BMW. The more sophisticated of the two and the better chassis. There is already completely redesign S5 on the road. The new 3 series is coming out but the 2019 440i is almost the same as the 2015. Not until some time in late 2019 or 2020 will the new 2020 4 series be released. Just another way to rationalize if you can't base on test driving.
Obviously your choice and you will have to live with it. If you cannot separate them look at other factors costs, features and what looks better. I am assuming different dealerships see which one is willing to work with you on price, maintenance plan and additional warranty. Lastly, you are dropping probably mid 30's on a used car, ask each dealer if you can take it home for an extended test drive to show the wife or whomever, this should not be an issue. The extra seat time should help.

good luck
Old 09-22-2018, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
I've owned them both

I might offer some perspective. I went from a 2016 S5 (auto) to a 2014 435ix manual. Both are very nice cars. The Audi was significantly faster from a butt of the seat perspective- but this might have been attributable to the 7sp DSG transmission which was flawless. The S5 did very well in the snow with the right tires. It gulped fuel where as my 435 with a manual does much better. It came down to the manual transmission for me. I just wanted to get back into one. The 435 seems to have a better interior with the options that I have (HUD, heated M-Sport steering wheel, ability to have my text messages display, automatic high beam LED headlights) but I do miss the alcantara seats that I had in my S5. My S5 had the sport differential but honestly I never could feel it. I know- maybe I didn't drive it hard enough. Both are great cars, audi engine just pulled a lot more. The S5 in the years that you're looking at just seemed to be behind the curve in terms of technology. The 435 is much more comfortable on crappy Cleveland roads especially with the 18" wheels in the M-Sport package. FWIW: Both cars are stock. Both are AWD. You can't lose with either. I did get more looks with the S5 as mine had the rotor wheels that made it a little more unique. My 435 just seems to be a little more reserved. Not worse, just a little more subdued.

Hope this helps somewhat. The B8.5 that you are looking at are very reliable with no lag due to the supercharger. I'm hoping that my 435ix is just as reliable.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search