How is BMW AC? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 07-14-2018, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 435i GC
How is BMW AC?

I live in South Florida and it is hot here all the time. My current car has an amazing AC. It will freeze you out in 100 degree heat. Does the ac in a 435i get really cold?
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2018, 06:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328xd Wagon
I wouldnít count on amazing. It works, takes a while and I need to put it on max frequently. Denver at 100F...
Old 07-14-2018, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 428i
Sarasota here, it works fine so far this summer, I can make it too cold some days. Assuming my car is typical (428) you should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2018, 07:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 340i M Sport 8AT
Cool West Glamorgan :)

Hottest summer in history here near Llanelli.

340i M Sport will freeze you out in 5 mins from entering car recording 30C*.

Altogether now...Llanelli!

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
My 335iís a/c is pretty mediocre. Takes a while to cool off after the carís been sitting in the sun during the summer, but bear in mind weíre talking summer temps in the 110-115F range where I live. On days like that thereís a noticeable difference in performance of the a/c when driving on surface streets vs once you get on the highway. At highway speeds it achieves mediocrity, but on surface streets itís well below average. I would add that probably 95% of people have their windows tinted in my area, and I do have a very high quality tint on the car.

Outside of the summer season the a/c is ok. Not as good as typical Japanese and American cars for sure, but it gets the job done.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 340i M Sport 8AT
I would add that my previous 335i that I part exchanged for current car I've had from new was just as good...think it had 60,000m on it when we parted.

Further...both were better than my old co car I had from new...Volvo s60 T5.

HTH

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 435i w/All M Options
Have a 2014 435i and am in FL. First, you MUST get great tint. Darker does not mean better, better as in one that blocks the 'heat stuff'. i use LLumar with their top Formula 1 stuff. Also, you WANT to add tint strip at the top of the front windshield. The AC works fine, blows cold, etc, yet this is FL and the sun's rays are what they are. Again, the 435i AC is fine, but you reeeeeeeally need to get high quality tint that blocks the heat (note i said heat, not light intensity).

BTW, wife's tinted 2013 X1 AC is mediocre and yes it is working 'to spec'.

Steven

2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.

Last edited by enjoythemusic; 07-15-2018 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:59 AM
tympj

Mein Auto: 328i
In my '14 328i, the AC blows so cold after less that 5 minutes that my wife complains its too cold and please turn it down. We've had a very warm July in the Boston area this
summer so it's nice relief when needed. Also, none of my windows have customized tinting. I've never had a car where the AC works so fast as well as the heat in the winter
which is just as crucial for our area.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: 340 M Sport
Yah, well itís probably not great in those very hot states. Guess youíll need one of those good olí merican cars for that. However, it is fine for temperate climates.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 07-15-2018, 05:42 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
The BMW IHKA system description is in the E70 subforum knowledge base.

IHKA is more sophisticated than your '57 Chevvy's HVAC. It is not intended or designed to blow cold air and exhaust cigarette smoke. Just like central heat and air conditioning in a nice home (not a window unit in your double wide ) it is intended to maintain the set cabin temperature. Has your Missus ever grumbled about AC blowing cold air on her in a Four Star restaurant? That will not happen with IHKA in its default AUTO settings.

Mine IHKA is great in all the states and seasons. You will not see complaints about its performance in the X5 forum for instance. You will see problems reported with "troubleshooting", usually by folks trying to fix it just like their '57 Chevvy - shoot another bottle of freon Bubba.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
My experience is similar to chiefneil above. I have a 2017 330i and it's the weakest AC system of any car I've owned. However, it will do the job, just not as quickly or efficiently as an American or Japanese car. I set mine to 70 in AUTO and full fan intensity and it does the job here in sunny and hot SoCal. For comparison purposes, I recently rented a Ford Escape in Florida and that AC system was a full class above the 330i.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack10525 View Post
I live in South Florida and it is hot here all the time. My current car has an amazing AC. It will freeze you out in 100 degree heat. Does the ac in a 435i get really cold?
335i here and the AC is one of the few slightly disappointing things about the car. My old Subaru with its 4cyl engine was better. So is my Toyota Sienna.
The AC in my new 335i actually recently shut off altogether on a hot New England day after a few hours on the highway. I suspect it froze over and it may have been because the heat was turned on in the back (doh). But I'm acutally scheduled to have it checked out by the dealer.

But then again, I wouldn't expect great AC on a German car really. It's not on their radar over there and Germans actually dislike AC in general since folklore has it that AC gets you sick.

Last edited by 7enderbender; 07-15-2018 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:03 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
If your IHKA is operating the way it is intended to, the only time that it will shut off, that the compressor will not be compressing, is at engine idle while the motor is not prepared for the up to 30 Nm torque additional load, at Wide Open Throttle the compressor is off to save that power/torque, and near freezing air out of the evaporator the compressor should shut off to prevent freezing the evaporator condensate.

IHKA temperature control is by hot engine coolant radiator(s) after the AC evaporator, computer controlled hot water throttle valves - HCV.

If you can do a little physics, the rated power of the IHKA system is 30 Nm times the angle rate of the compressor (engine RPM times the pulley ratio).
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 07-15-2018 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 435ix coupe
Ac

435IX coupe. I have tinted windows but not sure what kind of tint as I bought the car lightly used. Live in Chicago where we usually see several hot days in the 90s with oppressive humidity. I think the ac works more than fine. After about 5 minutes its blowing colder than I want and I turn it down. What i have noticed is when the car is parked in the sun and I first get in it is hotter inside the cabin than most cars I have owned. My interior is black. Go for the car. I absolutely love mine. I would highly recommend you tune the car. I have mppk with mpe. It really wakes the car up.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 435i Grand Coupe
It might be fancy, but our 2012 Prius will freeze you out in 5 minute with 100F temps. So will our FJ. 435? Ha, not so much.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Old 07-15-2018, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
If your IHKA is operating the way it is intended to, the only time that it will shut off, that the compressor will not be compressing, is at engine idle while the motor is not prepared for the up to 30 Nm torque additional load, at Wide Open Throttle the compressor is off to save that power/torque, and near freezing air out of the evaporator the compressor should shut off to prevent freezing the evaporator condensate.

IHKA temperature control is by hot engine coolant radiator(s) after the AC evaporator, computer controlled hot water throttle valves - HCV.

If you can do a little physics, the rated power of the IHKA system is 30 Nm times the angle rate of the compressor (engine RPM times the pulley ratio).
Not exactly sure what happened that day. The fan motor was running but not producing much airflow after about two hours on the highway. Auto, manual, max AC, nothing worked. After sitting in the driveway for a while everything went back to normal. I'm wondering if something froze over.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:

IHKA is more sophisticated than your '57 Chevvy's HVAC. It is not intended or designed to blow cold air and exhaust cigarette smoke. Just like central heat and air conditioning in a nice home (not a window unit in your double wide ) it is intended to maintain the set cabin temperature. Has your Missus ever grumbled about AC blowing cold air on her in a Four Star restaurant? That will not happen with IHKA in its default AUTO settings.

Mine IHKA is great in all the states and seasons. You will not see complaints about its performance in the X5 forum for instance. You will see problems reported with "troubleshooting", usually by folks trying to fix it just like their '57 Chevvy - shoot another bottle of freon Bubba.
Interestingly, the a/c in our 1st gen X5 (E53) was awesome and easily the best of any BMW weíve ever owned, equal to any American or Japanese car. Super problematic though, all kinds of warranty issues.

Our 2nd gen X5 (E70) which you mentioned is definitely a step down in the a/c performance suprisingly. BMW definitely changed something to make it less efficient - takes longer to cool and has to blow at a higher speed than the older E53. Also very problematic - it got a new evaporator literally every single year under warranty.

My F30 335i is definitely another step down from the E70, but absolutely an improvement over my previous E46 and E36 (which isnít saying much, those two just straight up sucked). On the plus side nothing in the a/c has broken aside from a fan that was replaced the first year.

I remember back in my E36 days on the Roadly forum an auto hvac engineer actually posted about why BMW and MB a/c systems werenít as good as Japanese and American brands. I didnít understand his post but my takeaway was that it was a deliberate design choice (which this hvac engineer didnít understand or agree with) - not sure if that still holds true today, obviously

Old 07-15-2018, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
335i here and the AC is one of the few slightly disappointing things about the car. My old Subaru with its 4cyl engine was better. So is my Toyota Sienna.
The AC in my new 335i actually recently shut off altogether on a hot New England day after a few hours on the highway. I suspect it froze over and it may have been because the heat was turned on in the back (doh). But I'm acutally scheduled to have it checked out by the dealer.

But then again, I wouldn't expect great AC on a German car really. It's not on their radar over there and Germans actually dislike AC in general since folklore has it that AC gets you sick.
Both of our F30s freeze up and cease blowing any air at all on a highway trip of more than 2 hours ...... dealer time next week .....

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
Old 07-15-2018, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 528i
E60 blows cold after a few seconds no problem. Northern/central California. Works wonderfully for an 8 year old car. Tinting will be necessary because these interiors really will cook anything.

Someone compared the AC of an old Subaru, and I can tell you the exact opposite of what they did. Subaru AC is dog****. The BMW system is a thousand times better. 2c

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 07-15-2018, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
The AC in my 2014 328i works great in the hot steamy summer weather that my part of Virginia can get. Open the windows for a moment to move some of that built up hot air then use Max AC to get the interior cooled down. Don't forget to dial the front and rear vent temperature controls to cold (blue).
Like most other systems in the 3 series it is a well thought out design that does the job.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
The AC in my 2014 328i works great in the hot steamy summer weather that my part of Virginia can get. Open the windows for a moment to move some of that built up hot air then use Max AC to get the interior cooled down. Don't forget to dial the front and rear vent temperature controls to cold (blue).
Like most other systems in the 3 series it is a well thought out design that does the job.
OMG, this. They had inadvertently put the vent in the back of my 428 to the hottest setting while wiping it down at the car wash. It took me a couple of days to notice it - the rear was blowing some serious heat out while I was trying to use the A/C.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:53 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack10525 View Post
No. The AC is pretty weak.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission

Last edited by tex2670; 07-15-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:

That's funny and no I wouldn't want a GM car instead. Ever. Yet, it does unfortunately translate into typical German over-engineering in this case. Sometimes there is too much of a good thing - or too little in this case. Nice that in theory it keeps the temp at a certain level - yet in the heat and humidity we recently had I like to just blast it on cold. My BMW doesn't really.

Last edited by 7enderbender; 07-15-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqlman View Post
OMG, this. They had inadvertently put the vent in the back of my 428 to the hottest setting while wiping it down at the car wash. It took me a couple of days to notice it - the rear was blowing some serious heat out while I was trying to use the A/C.
Lol...we've all learned how to use those dials by experience. The BMW system works very well if one takes the time to understand how to use it.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:35 PM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: 2013 335i 02RSXMT 06ML350
The A/C in my '13 335i is inferior our other cars; the rear blower is really weak about a 1 setting compared to a 3 up front.
My 1st BMW, bought Oct'12: Munich '13 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport, DHP, Premium Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M 19" wheels, Sport Auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, HK, Alum Hex Trim/Estoril Blue accent, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Sunroof, Alarm
Mods: Tint 35%, lower intake grill guard, Bimmer America Coding. Nankang 235/40/R19 AS, General G-Max AS05 255/35/R19
Pros: Power, drive, looks, space, mpg
Cons: Leaks, plastics
101K mi Feb'20
Hergestellt in Deutschland

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search