So what's good about xDrive? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto:
So what's good about xDrive?

I needed to replace my dearly beloved 2009 128 ragtop, and I ended up with a 2016 228 xDrive ragtop which I hope to fall in love with. It has the all wheel drive option which I didn't really want, but everything else was perfect. There is so much negative stuff written about xDrive on the forum. I want to love this car, so I need you good folks to tell me what's good about xDrive.

And I hardly ever need to drive on snow, but it does rain here a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2019, 06:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 M240i
Personally, I think xDrive is a waste of money and weight unless you live in an area that routinely gets snow each winter. Sales staff push xDrive because it ups their commission as the price goes up.

xDrive requires maintenance. The transfer case seems to be a bit sensitive to long fluid change intervals. And the transfer case has a plastic gear that wears out!!

xDrive tends to require expensive repairs. The front axle constant velocity (CV) joints seem to last 75k to 100k miles. Now, BMW buys high quality axles from GKN, but the rubber boots covering the CV joints are a weak point. I donít know why as Iíve owned bimmers since 1974, and all have had CV joints in the rear. Iíve never had an issue with a rear CV joint or the rubber boots. And no dealer will repair the transfer case. They will only replace it with a rebuilt case.

As far as driving in the snow with a RWD bimmer, I put 4 Bridgestone Blizzak tires mounted on steel wheels (fugly) on my E46. I never got stuck. I used to pass AWD SUVs that were slipping and sliding with their stupid all season tires!
Old 12-07-2019, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E89 3.0 Stick shift
As I understand it it does break individual wheels to improve traction . Friend of mine just had to replace pads on his M550i at 14k miles.
We were wondering if that is caused by auto braking?

E89 3.0 6spd manual
Space Gray Metallic
Bilstein & Sachs suspension
Michelin Pilot 4s NRF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2019, 07:50 AM
Still Stickin' It!

Mein Auto: '15 228i Track Pkg/6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr View Post
As I understand it it does break individual wheels to improve traction . Friend of mine just had to replace pads on his M550i at 14k miles.
We were wondering if that is caused by auto braking?
I hope it doesn't "break" any wheels...don't want to have to get broken wheels repaired!

XDrive or any all wheel drive system merely sends power to additional wheels. Any function of individual wheel braking is created by traction control, stability control, or other electronic effect of other chassis control systems.

Wheels and cars don't have traction. Tires have traction. Slowing the speed of a wheel/tire assembly merely brings it back down the traction capability of the particular tire installed. It doesn't make that tire any better. Traction is improved on a car by installing higher capability tires. XDrive uses the existing traction of the additional two tires to share torque to prevent wheel spin in higher power vehicles, or to help get moving if the first two wheels are on a low traction surface.
Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance Pkgs

Xpel Clear Paint Film/Opticoat Pro
BBS Wheels/PS4S Tires
MPerformance Black Kidney Grilles/Decklid Spoiler
Coding by Alex

2018 330i GT - 100% Stock
Old 12-07-2019, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto:
So is that good or should I regret that the car has it?
Old 12-07-2019, 08:08 AM
Still Stickin' It!

Mein Auto: '15 228i Track Pkg/6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardKing View Post
So is that good or should I regret that the car has it?
In your environment, you do not need it, and it has costs, financial and performance. But, if you love driving the car as is, don't worry about it other than following the maintenance schedule. When you drive a rear wheel drive version for your next car, you will see if you appreciate the difference then.
Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance Pkgs

Xpel Clear Paint Film/Opticoat Pro
BBS Wheels/PS4S Tires
MPerformance Black Kidney Grilles/Decklid Spoiler
Coding by Alex

2018 330i GT - 100% Stock
Old 12-14-2019, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328 xi wagon
I remember reading that AWD can help even without snow. My understanding is that when accelerating at the end of a turn, the rear will slide out earlier on a RWD car than it would in an AWD car. AWD also can help in the wet. With RWD, all of the acceleration goes to the rear wheels, and when they are asked to corner and accelerate at the same time, the vector sum of the forces can exceed the traction available. When the traction is decreased in the rain, this happens at lower speeds. With AWD, part of the acceleration occurs in the front wheels, so that the sums of cornering and acceleration forces at each rear wheel are reduced.

Whether you ever drive fast enough to notice this difference is another issue, but now that you have it, you can take pride in the extra margin of safety that it provides. Here in Massachusetts I have had AWD on my last 4 BMWs. None needed maintenance, including the one that I drove to over 140,000 miles. Relax and enjoy the car.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto:
Thank you After Hours! It's good to know someone appreciates Xdrive.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
2/3's to 3/4th of the BMW SUV's sold in southern states are sDrive (2WD). That makes them about $2k cheaper, 200 pounds lighter, about one to two MPG more fuel efficient, and cheaper to maintain around the 100k miles.

Yeah, you can go faster in the rain with xDrive. But, you can't stop or turn faster in the rain with xDrive. Turning and stopping is usually what causes you to hit things.

We're moving from flat, sunny, warm Floriduh to the foothills of the Smoky Mountains, where it will slow and where we will be living on the top of a hill. So, we got xDrive on Frau Putzer's X3. When we get up there, I'm gong to spend another $2k on a winter tire and wheel package. Our other two cars don't have AWD, or will their replacements. One AWD is enough.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto:
The issue at hand is that my car has xDrive. I wouldn't have gotten it if I had a choice, but I bought used, and this was the best deal with the other options I wanted. I want to love my car, so I want to know good things about xDrive.
Autoputzer, I used to live in Johnson City TN, in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains. Wonderful place to live, really lovely.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardKing View Post
The issue at hand is that my car has xDrive. I wouldn't have gotten it if I had a choice, but I bought used, and this was the best deal with the other options I wanted. I want to love my car, so I want to know good things about xDrive.
Autoputzer, I used to live in Johnson City TN, in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains. Wonderful place to live, really lovely.
We're heading to suburban Knoxville. The tri-city area was a little to small-town for the cosmopolitan Frau Putzer.

I found a vacant lot in Kingsport. It was a small, flat, corner lot in a older, nice neighborhood, apparently too small to build on. But, I have a set of house plans from an ill-fated project here in Florida: a 2900 square foot house, with a two-car garage (plus a lift for a 3rd car) crammed onto a 0.15 acre (6500 square feet) lot. The lot was also walking distance from the Kingsport BMW-Porsche dealership. The lot we bought in Knoxville is larger, 0.65 acres, and mission creep has set in: 4000 square feet and a four-car (plus a lift for a 5th car) "garage complex," and maybe a caretaker's residence in the walk-out basement.

Several of Frau Putzer's semi-functional friends are claiming dibs on the basement, which is an incentive not to finish it off.

My family's from western NC. But, the east side of the Smoky's gets hammered in the winter and NC has a state income tax. So, TN it is!

Last edited by Autoputzer; 12-15-2019 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328 xi wagon
Auto putzer, I agree: in the snow-belt winter tires are more important than AWD/X-drive. AWD makes the accelerator more effective; winter tires make the accelerator, the steering wheel, and also the brakes more effective. When you are sliding on the snow towards the edge of your Smokey Mountain road, it is either the steering wheel or the brakes that might save you. My son the engineer tells me that traction is very complicated, and measuring it is highly dependent on test conditions. He is suspect of the figure that I use, but I think that winter tires have about 15% more traction on ice and snow than all-season tires. For years I drove without either AWD or winter tires, and a combination of caution and experience got me through, but when I could afford both driving in the winter became a great deal easier.

As to fuel economy, BMW seems to pay more attention to that than Mercedes or Audi, so that even with the penalty of X-drive our cars do comparatively well.

My significant other has a VW Tiguan. I put Michelin X-Ice winter tires on it, and then we went to the O'Neal winter driving course in New Hampshire. Susan is a cautious driver, but on those tires she was faster than any of the other drivers. She had to wait before entering the down-hill slalom course because she knew that she would catch up quickly to whatever car was in front of us. Instructors who watched came over to check out our tires. They made a big difference.

Enjoy the Smokey Mountains!
Old 12-15-2019, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Ditto on the snow tire suggestion.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 M240xi
I recently got an XDrive myself, ended up getting a deal I couldn't refuse. I came from a Subaru so in a sense I was prepared for the AWD. Sure, RWD sounds extremely fun, especially in a car with loads of power, but I am not sad at all. From launching to inclement weather, I feel nothing but satisfaction. Maintenance would certainly be key, as the more moving parts it has obviously there is more that can break. Keep up the fluids and enjoy it. I put 54k miles on the Subie (including several drag strip trips and even some track time at Dominion Raceway here in VA). Not a single problem.
Winter tires are a must for me. Winter tires are absolutely game changing in cold weather. Personally, I like to pony up and have a wheel setup just for the winter. Safety has no price tag.

Last edited by Floody; 12-21-2019 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search