BMW blue smoke quick SOLUTION - forget valve stem seals! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto:
BMW blue smoke quick SOLUTION - forget valve stem seals!

It's been evident after reading these forums that if you drive a BMW 650i e64 model sooner or later you can experience the dreaded blue smoke coming from one or both of the tailpipes.

There's a lot of talk about valve stem seal repairs, and how this is an extremely expensive fix that can often set back the owner many thousands of dollars.

With this in mind I researched oil and other contributing components that could contribute towards the blue smoke emission, particularly when the engine is warm.

Here is a solution that you MUST try before doing anything else EXPENSIVE with your vehicle.

Firstly where the vehicle that's done over 100,000 km, the old saying oils ain't oils could not be truer, especially when applied to the BMW e64 V8 engine.

Running at 5W30 fully synthetic oil in an engine that has done higher kilometres is only going give you trouble as whilst on a brand new engine this oil is perfect, on a higher km engine you are going to have problems.. Don't believe me, well good luck but here's the fix if you want to actually resolve this problem...

Instead of the lighter oil that has higher foam characteristics, a 10W60 high-performance Fully synthetic Nulon (or equivalent) Oil is specifically designed to ensure the cold start and warm operational required lubrication is delivered with the low foaming oil viscosity excessive flowing past the valvestems, valves, etc to arrive in the intake system and thus burn off as blue smoke.

Additionally, it's essential that you check the 2 x pressure control valves (PCV) for their condition- It is actually extremely easy to do and not as challenging as it sounds, and there is a brilliant YouTuber called Timm's BMW repair who will take you through this simple 30 minute exercise - best on the net for all things e64...

Nowhere on the Internet was I able to find clear instruction about the best oil to use for this vehicle when experiencing blue smoke issues and after EXTENSIVE research and speaking to various industry professionals the10W60 fully synthetic supercar oil was identified as the perfect solution to rectify the blue smoke issue.

So, theory aside - let's see how this panned our!!

Just had the car serviced, using the oil, filter and also a 300 ml liquidmoly oil stabiliser, stop smoke (German made).

Mechanic should be very careful not to overfill the oil as this can add to smoke issues if not correctly measured. In this instance it would be 7.7 L of oil and the 300 ml Additive to make a total of 8 L. Which is the specified oil volume the engine requires.

Upon inspection of the PCV valve on the driver-side, the valve had a little bit of gunk in there, that whilst it showed no water residue, was enough to also cause the valve to stick allowing potential oil to flow past it and into the intake system. This coincided with the driver-side exhaust emitting more smoke as the car was idling when warm, with hardly any coming out the passenger side. (RHD MODEL)

So all up, the cost of this simple treatment was $150 for the service including a check and clean of the PCV valves, which had one been unserviceable or split, replacement parts were readily available on eBay for as little as $22 delivered for a pair. This was not required as a quick clean did the trick!

Added to that expense was the cost of the oil which I managed to secure on special at $70 for each of the 5 L, with two containers required leaving 2.3 L spare.

The liquid Molly was only $13 and a Wesflow oil filter $23.

So all up the cost was $176 for parts and $150 for the service, total of AUD$326.

Now, here is the best part, upon picking up the vehicle from the mechanics, no matter what I tried I could not get a single bit of smoke to emit from the exhaust, whereas prior to the service the smoke was substantial and constant.

Happy with this fix is an understatement!

Fellow BMW enthusiasts, save yourself the stress and headache of using a sledgehammer to crack an almond, don't do anything until you've done exactly this fix, which had I done it 12 months ago could've save me a lot of embarrassment when pulling up with this beautiful car and in front of mates and having a massive puff of smoke emit when taking off after a brief idle.

Good luck with your BMW ownership, as well as this fix and enjoy your smokeless supercar for years to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
This will buy you time, but sooner or later the valve stems seals will have to be addressed. Once they have hardened from 15k oil changes, a thicker oil will buy you some additional time. Mobil1 High Mileage oils, along with other brands, now have additives to try & soften all rubber seals. Yes along with your oil, you are then out of spec with the LL-01 lifetime oil philosophy. With the engine out of warranty, who really cares what BMW has to say about extended oil changes. It is their extended oil changes that have caused damage to the seals, & it is now coming out of our pockets. I agree that the CCV valves are cheap, so why not inspect or change them every 15k miles. It only takes 5 minutes a side to remove them.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: E63 645ci
Tim is a great guy, he's the UK's version of HerbP , his youtube vids are a recent thing but he has a website too which addresses most of the common issues.
For anyone that doesn't know just look up meeknet, very informative and tells it like it is .

Neal.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search