Air Pressure Screw Up? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)

X3 G01 (2018 - current)
The third generation X3 starts production in August of 2017 and will include the new X3 M40i top of the line performance model.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 440ix Coupe
Air Pressure Screw Up?

Took delivery of my wife's 2019 X3 a few days ago. Was going through the Idrive settings and saw that the tire pressure ranged from 47psi to 54psi. I did a re-calibration since I could not believe that the numbers were correct. Nothing changed. I tested them with my tire gauge and sure enough they were correct. I took air out of each tire so that it would match the OEM specs, 32 psi front and 35 psi rear. When I restarted the car low tire pressure warnings were popping up. I set the monitor from all season tires to the actual tire size on the vehicle. Re set the Idrive setting by driving around the block a few times and everything went back to normal. Anyone want to offer up a suggestion as to why this happened? Does the vehicle leave the factory with higher psi for transport purposes? Should not the dealer have caught this before delivery?
Aluminum Dark Carbon with Pearl Gloss Chrome Highlight Trim
Essentials Package
Premium Package
M Sport Package
18 inch Wheels with All Season Tires
Heated Steering Wheel
Apple CarPlay
Active Blindspot Detection
Active Driving Assistant
Black Kidney Grilles
All Weather FloorLiners
Black Chrome Exhaust Tips
Color Matched Fender Vents
Coded

ALSO: 2019 X3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 X3 Black Sapphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
Took delivery of my wife's 2019 X3 a few days ago. Was going through the Idrive settings and saw that the tire pressure ranged from 47psi to 54psi. I did a re-calibration since I could not believe that the numbers were correct. Nothing changed. I tested them with my tire gauge and sure enough they were correct. I took air out of each tire so that it would match the OEM specs, 32 psi front and 35 psi rear. When I restarted the car low tire pressure warnings were popping up. I set the monitor from all season tires to the actual tire size on the vehicle. Re set the Idrive setting by driving around the block a few times and everything went back to normal. Anyone want to offer up a suggestion as to why this happened? Does the vehicle leave the factory with higher psi for transport purposes? Should not the dealer have caught this before delivery?
Most manufacturers over inflate the tires to prevent flat spotting during shipment etc. 47/54 does seem a bit high but yes, the dealer should have caught that during PDI on your car.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
They also goose up the pressures so that the cars don't bounce around on the ship when they're chained down. If they bounce, they can work the chains loose. They also put blocks in the springs to prevent the cars from bouncing. I read one story of somebody complaining that his new BMW rode like crap. Yep, they'd left the spring blocks in.

Back when the E46 M3 came out, each U.S. dealership got a Smurf Blue one as a factory-owned demonstrator. Here's a picture of a hundred or so of the Smurfmobile's. Notice that they're all riding a little high, due to the spring blocks still being in them.

If you have Bridgestone HP A/S Sport non-run flats on your X3, think about going 2 PSI over the decal pressures. I have those tires and kept them at 34 PSI front and 37 PSI rear, measured cold in the early morning. After 10k miles and two rotation stints, the tires have worn almost perfectly evenly, about 1.3/32nd inch in each circumferential channel. The problem is that the tires are rounded when new: 9/32nds inch tread in the inner and outer channels, and 10/32nds inch in the two middle channels. I've now gone to 36 PSI in the front and 39 PSI in the rear for the third rotation stint, to concentrate wear in the two middle channels. (I measure my tread depths with a digital tread depth gauge that displays depth to 1/1000th inch.) My goal is to get the channel depths even by the time the tires are used up, 3/32nds inch of tread at maybe 50k to 55k miles. I'll measure the depths at the next tire rotation, and adjust my pressures up or down accordingly. My goal is to sell our X3 the day it hits 100k miles, and with a set of four almost worn out tires on it.

I don't lease, but most new BMW drivers do. If you have these non-run-flat's, it's possible to get to 36k miles and still have (barely) over 4/32nds inch of tread, required to avoid the excessive tire wear charge at least turn-in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smurfmobiles -bmw e46 m3 demonstrators.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	858139  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 07-14-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 03:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 440ix Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
They also goose up the pressures so that the cars don't bounce around on the ship when they're chained down. If they bounce, they can work the chains loose. They also put blocks in the springs to prevent the cars from bouncing. I read one story of somebody complaining that his new BMW rode like crap. Yep, they'd left the spring blocks in.

Back when the E46 M3 came out, each U.S. dealership got a Smurf Blue one as a factory-owned demonstrator. Here's a picture of a hundred or so of the Smurfmobile's. Notice that they're all riding a little high, due to the spring blocks still being in them.

If you have Bridgestone HP A/S Sport non-run flats on your X3, think about going 2 PSI over the decal pressures. I have those tires and kept them at 34 PSI front and 37 PSI rear, measured cold in the early morning. After 10k miles and two rotation stints, the tires have worn almost perfectly evenly, about 1.3/32nd inch in each circumferential channel. The problem is that the tires are rounded when new: 9/32nds inch tread in the inner and outer channels, and 10/32nds inch in the two middle channels. I've now gone to 36 PSI in the front and 39 PSI in the rear for the third rotation stint, to concentrate wear in the two middle channels. (I measure my tread depths with a digital tread depth gauge that displays depth to 1/1000th inch.) My goal is to get the channel depths even by the time the tires are used up, 3/32nds inch of tread at maybe 50k to 55k miles. I'll measure the depths at the next tire rotation, and adjust my pressures up or down accordingly. My goal is to sell our X3 the day it hits 100k miles, and with a set of four almost worn out tires on it.

I don't lease, but most new BMW drivers do. If you have these non-run-flat's, it's possible to get to 36k miles and still have (barely) over 4/32nds inch of tread, required to avoid the excessive tire wear charge at least turn-in.
Thank you for your comprehensive response. The vehicle came from South Carolina so the boat was a truck. I guess the same procedure applies. The tires are all season run flat Pirelli Cinturato P7.
Aluminum Dark Carbon with Pearl Gloss Chrome Highlight Trim
Essentials Package
Premium Package
M Sport Package
18 inch Wheels with All Season Tires
Heated Steering Wheel
Apple CarPlay
Active Blindspot Detection
Active Driving Assistant
Black Kidney Grilles
All Weather FloorLiners
Black Chrome Exhaust Tips
Color Matched Fender Vents
Coded

ALSO: 2019 X3
Old 07-16-2019, 03:43 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I lived seventeen floors directly above the BMW PoE Charleston, SC for two years. My condo apartment looked down onto the Roll On-Roll Off facility. I may have watched a half-million BMW coming and going, also large armored vehicles, busses, earthmovers. I also watched the associated BMW railroad transport loaded and unloaded. I watched the small crew of stevedores arrive and work and leave.

I disbelieve that RORO or RR transported vehicles are secured beyond perhaps wheel chocks.. On a large vessel there is no large vertical acceleration.

I have taken passage on large ROPax vessels (SS Badger, SS Emerald Isle) with my automobile that was not at all secured beyond the vehicle parking brake. Nor were the adjacent vehicles.

About monthly year-around I use a 100-ton class vehicle ferry that in winter takes fearsome angles with vehicles unsecured but for the parking brake.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 07-16-2019 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2019 540x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post

Im returning my wifes X3 next month with the original runs flats with 43,000 miles that passed the pre-inspection ( but I am at the min tread wear)

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 07-16-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombie99 View Post
Im returning my wifes X3 next month with the original runs flats with 43,000 miles that passed the pre-inspection ( but I am at the min tread wear)

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
You did good. I'm curious what brand and model your run-flats are.

My F10 535i came with Goodyear LS2 RFT's, and I couldn't get them to wear evenly. They wore on both sides, indicative of under-inflation, and that was running them at 15% over what the door decal recommended. With 15% over-inflation, the ride was bone jarring.

The G01 X3 30i offers non-RFT's as an option. After my experience with the Goodyear LS2's, our new X3 was not coming home with RFT's. If non-RFT's weren't an option, the dealer was going to have to eat replacing them with non-RFT's as part of new car prep.

Oddly, the non-RFT's are not available with the M Sport Package. I would have paid the extra $2k or so for the M Sport Package, but not if it came with RFT's.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto:
TPMS too detailed?

I was setting the TPMS on my wife's 2019 X3. She has the 19" Bridgestone AllSeasons. The screen was set for summer tires, which they are not. When I tried to select All Season, the only choice seemed to be for 20" rims.
Does it matter or is the summer vs all season choice the important one?
Old 08-21-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBill View Post
I was setting the TPMS on my wife's 2019 X3. She has the 19" Bridgestone AllSeasons. The screen was set for summer tires, which they are not. When I tried to select All Season, the only choice seemed to be for 20" rims.
Does it matter or is the summer vs all season choice the important one?
I've seen that menu on Frau Putzer's 2018 X3. I recall finding the correct tires on the menu, also 19" all-seasons.

The menu didn't differentiate between RFT's and non-RFT's, and the recommended pressures are 32 PSI in the front and 35 PSI in the back. I kept them at two PSI over that for the first 10k miles and they wore almost perfectly evenly.

Our Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS non-RFT's started out with 9/32" in the inner and outer circumferential channels, and 10/32" in the middle circumferential channels. At 10k miles, I added another two PSI. I'm goal is to slightly concentrate wear in the middle channels so that all the channels will have roughly the same depth of 3/32" when the tires are worn out.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:41 PM

I measured my tread depths today, 6600 miles after the previous measurement and after increasing the pressures from 2 PSI over the decal pressures to 4 PSI over the decal pressures (measured cold in the early morning). I measured the tread depths at 10.4k and 16.6k miles using a digital tread depth gauge with resolution of 1/1000".

From the data:

1. The average wear in the two middle channels (0.66/32") is slightly more than the average wear of the inner and outer channels (0.58/32"). This is a desired result. When new, the two middle channels were deeper (10/32") than the inner and outer channels (9/32"). My goal is to slightly increase wear in the middle channels, so that all four channels on each tire reach ~3/32" at the same mileage.

2. The outer channels are wearing faster than the inner channels. This is not a desired result, and would diminish the life of the tires. A friend at the BMW dealership says that this is common for BMW SUV's, more so than with BMW passenger cars. This s plausible because the SUV's are heavier, have a higher center of mass (transferring more of the vehicle's weight to the outside tires in a turn), and have taller tire sidewalls (allowing the tires to tuck under more during a turn).

The Bridgestone Dueler all-season SUV tires are symmetric. So, a solution to the excessive wear would be to flip the tires on the rims at their approximate half-life. Using the current wear rates, doing the half-life tire flip would extend the life of the tires (defined as when one channel reaches 3/32" of depth) by about 10k miles (from about 50k miles to about 60k miles). Another solution would be to have the vehicle aligned, reducing the toe-in to the minimum values of the spec' range.

Tire flipping and alignment would both cost about $150. A set of tires would be about $850. So, the costs of flipping the tires or getting a custom alignment would be 20% of the cost of a set of tires, while increasing the tires' life by 20%... breaking even. However, getting that extra 10k miles out of the original tires would push having to buy a third set of tires well past 100k miles, and well beyond when I will sell the vehicle. That's where the potential savings are. A minimum toe-in alignment would likely reduce the uneven wear. But, tire flipping at the half-life would actually correct the uneven wear. So, that looks like the best way to go with the current, unevenly worn tires. It might be worth getting a custom alignment when these tires are replaced.

I did the over-inflating and tire flipping tricks on a Chevy Silverado 1500, along with an alignment and regular tire rotation, and got 74k miles out of the OE tires (worn down to an even 2/32" of tread depth across all four tires).

We own the X3, but most BMW's are leased. BMW FS requires a minimum tread depth of 4/32" at lease turn-in to avoid the "excess tire wear fee." Based on my wear rates, with tire flipping at around 30k miles I can go to about 50k miles and still meet that BMW FS requirement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191212 bmw go1 x3 tread depths at 16600 miles.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	875177  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 12-12-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
I lived seventeen floors directly above the BMW PoE Charleston, SC for two years. My condo apartment looked down onto the Roll On-Roll Off facility. I may have watched a half-million BMW coming and going, also large armored vehicles, busses, earthmovers. I also watched the associated BMW railroad transport loaded and unloaded. I watched the small crew of stevedores arrive and work and leave.

I disbelieve that RORO or RR transported vehicles are secured beyond perhaps wheel chocks.. On a large vessel there is no large vertical acceleration.

I have taken passage on large ROPax vessels (SS Badger, SS Emerald Isle) with my automobile that was not at all secured beyond the vehicle parking brake. Nor were the adjacent vehicles.

About monthly year-around I use a 100-ton class vehicle ferry that in winter takes fearsome angles with vehicles unsecured but for the parking brake.
The E46 (and likely other BMW's of that era) had "cross slots" under the four jack point pads. There were special shackles with a "T" end that would fit into the cross slots for tying down the cars during shipment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bmw tie down hooks.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	875181  
Old 12-12-2019, 10:44 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: cars with studded tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post

These are MB, but I've been inside a loaded RoRo at Port Hueneme and seen the same straps (front and rear) on BMW's

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles

Last edited by dkreidel; 12-13-2019 at 02:46 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 G01 (2018 - current)
Today's Posts Search