BMW Software Update Website Gone? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW 328i
BMW Software Update Website Gone?

Hi All!

I was checking to see if BMW had posted a software update for my make/model by going to www.bmw.com/update and to my surprise a different website than I am used to appeared.

I looked over the entire website and I cannot find any reference to downloading software updates for my car.

Did BMW remove that ability when they changed their website or did it move and I am just missing it?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017, 06:48 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Offers & Services > BMW ConnectedDrive Services > Mobile Devices. Scroll down to the "Always up-to-date" section.

The new web site is fairly dreadful.

BMW CCA
Old 05-09-2017, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmersh View Post
Hi All!

I was checking to see if BMW had posted a software update for my make/model by going to www.bmw.com/update and to my surprise a different website than I am used to appeared.

I looked over the entire website and I cannot find any reference to downloading software updates for my car.

Did BMW remove that ability when they changed their website or did it move and I am just missing it?

Thanks.
http://www.bmw.com/en/topics/offers-...e-devices.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i X-Drive
I just joined to post a similar thread.
The link above doesn't bring you to anywhere to download the updates in order to place them on a USB Drive and have the car load them.

It seems with this connected drive system BMW has abandoned anyone who has an older car.
My 2013 F30 has "connected drive" in the IDrive menu but when going to the BMW.com/update site it redirects to the link posted above. I created a connected drive account but when adding my VIN it says my car is offline and can't be added.
I don't want to use the online connected drive system, as I suspect is need the 3G upgrade that the previous owner didn't do. I just want to be able to download the latest IDrive software and maps that the previous owner never did. I'm running on factory issued software!

Anyone know of where I can find this downloads?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 05-09-2017, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beholder View Post
The link above doesn't bring you to anywhere to download the updates in order to place them on a USB Drive and have the car load them.

It seems with this connected drive system BMW has abandoned anyone who has an older car.
My 2013 F30 has "connected drive" in the IDrive menu but when going to the BMW.com/update site it redirects to the link posted above. I created a connected drive account but when adding my VIN it says my car is offline and can't be added.
I don't want to use the online connected drive system, as I suspect is need the 3G upgrade that the previous owner didn't do. I just want to be able to download the latest IDrive software and maps that the previous owner never did. I'm running on factory issued software!

I entered the last seven digits of my VIN, hit enter and the "OK" button lit up. I was then able to click it and it took me to the download for my specific vehicle. What's not working?
Old 05-09-2017, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i X-Drive
Wow - this site is so awful I whizzed right by the small Vin txt box.
I was able to get to the downloads now.
My other with not being able to add my vehicle to my connected drive account is due to the previous owner still having it in their account. I called BMW and they said I just have to email them proof of ownership and they'll switch it over for me.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beholder View Post

The software you were looking at on BMW never would have done the maps. It was just bluetooth updates (thats it). Not software for iDrive, and definitely not maps.

Maps can be bought online through one of the coding services (like bimmerfest sponsor bimmer america among others).

Latest "idrive" software other than maps and bluetooth (which I just covered above) would need to be done by the dealer, if you have a problem with the car, but it will NOT be a software rev to idrive 5.0 or 6.0 etc.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341
Old 05-09-2017, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Test Vehicles
The original URL redirects to the above mentioned site, but it is never newest and rarely, if ever, newer than existing vehicle BT Media & Communication version.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:39 AM

Mein Auto: Nothing Recently!
Yeah it's all odd...I by chance downloaded an update right before the site change and it has a different name than the current one available. I installed "UPD05074.bin" maybe two weeks ago now "UPD05073.bin" is available for download....no idea why. I'm guessing they rolled it back? Anyone have any insight?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 05-10-2017, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus991 View Post
Yeah it's all odd...I by chance downloaded an update right before the site change and it has a different name than the current one available. I installed "UPD05074.bin" maybe two weeks ago now "UPD05073.bin" is available for download....no idea why. I'm guessing they rolled it back? Anyone have any insight?

• UPD05074 = MN-002.255.071, TN-002.255.070. Unless you have older firmware, no point in downloading.
  • MN/TN-003.013.001 (Firmware from last Fall)
Old 05-10-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
The original URL redirects to the above mentioned site, but it is never newest and rarely, if ever, newer than existing vehicle BT Media & Communication version.
And yet, I have updated my car three times since new.

BMW CCA
Old 05-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
And yet, I have updated my car three times since new.
That is surprising. Is this your '11 vintage? Just because update shows up, does not mean it can be installed. But, there are release notes that specifically list update details.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
That is surprising. Is this your '11 vintage? Just because update shows up, does not mean it can be installed. But, there are release notes that specifically list update details.
Yes. And unless BMW changed something, the only update shown should be the latest available* for, and installable in, the specific vehicle whose VIN was provided. Different files will be served, based on the VIN.

(Edit: * "Latest available" meaning "latest available for download." I can't say with certainty, but It's possible that new software is available to dealers before it has been packaged and published for self-installation by owners.)

BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 05-10-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
  • UPD05074 = MN-002.255.071, TN-002.255.070. Unless you have older firmware, no point in downloading.
  • MN/TN-003.013.001 (Firmware from last Fall)
So they go backwards with numbers in there updates? Could UPD05073 have a few fixes in it?

Old 05-10-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
So they go backwards with numbers in there updates? Could UPD05073 have a few fixes in it?
It's best to regard the file name as irrelevant. It does not necessarily reflect the included driver revision numbers. For example, the last update I downloaded for my car was UPD01008.bin, which includes revisions MX-3.5.4, TX-3.5.8, TX-2.6.6 and MX-1.12.0. The update routine installs the driver(s) appropriate to the vehicle.

To determine whether an update will install software newer than the revisions installed in your car, review the release notes ("Software update information") that accompany the update.

BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 05-10-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
It's best to regard the file name as irrelevant. It does not necessarily refect the included driver revision numbers.

To determine whether an update will install software newer than the revisions installed in your car, review the release notes ("Software update information") that accompany the update.
The release notes seem like a convoluted nightmare. I really had a hard time understanding what was going on. I don't have the previous one to compare it to either. I guess I'll just let it be.
They should figure this all out though. When you enter your VIN it should connect to your car and see if you need an update, simple as that.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
The release notes seem like a convoluted nightmare.
Understandable, at a glance.

As I mentioned, a single update package (file) may contain drivers for several different hardware kits. The release notes describe all of these--including those that don't match your car, and hence won't be installed. The changes for each included driver are described in separate sections. Only the section for the revision that matches your hardware is relevant. The rest can be safely ignored.

To identify the pertinent section, look at the current version number in your car. The release notes and the owner's manual explain how, but it's typically accessible from the software update screen ("Show current version" or similar). Compare the first two number groups (the "major" and "minor" revisions) to the versions listed in the release notes--the one that matches is the driver that will be installed in your car.

Using the last update for my car as an example, my installed version (before the update) was MX-3.5.4/TX-3.5.6. From the list in the release notes (referring to my earlier post), the matching set was MX-3.5.4/TX-3.5.8. The section about that software outlined what would change in my car. The other software sections did not apply, because they were for different hardware.

Hope that helps.

BMW CCA
Old 05-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Numbers do not go backwards. UPD05074 came out after UPD05073. Besides versions, the PDF lists what came with update. And, dealerships do not have *.bins for individuals. They only have complete head unit firmware, which updates BT Media & Communication among other things at the same time.

Quote:
The release notes seem like a convoluted nightmare. I really had a hard time understanding what was going on. I don't have the previous one to compare it to either. I guess I'll just let it be.
They should figure this all out though. When you enter your VIN it should connect to your car and see if you need an update, simple as that.

The three number sets are as follows:
  • Major Version
  • Secondary or Minor Version
  • Patch Version
Compare left to right and only move to next section if prior is the same. For example
003-003-002 & 003-013-001
- Skipped Major as the same
- 013 > 003: so one on right is newer
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Readme_UPD05074_en-gb.pdf (639.1 KB, 158 views)
File Type: pdf Readme-UPD05073-ENG.pdf (601.4 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Almaretto; 05-10-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Numbers do not go backwards. UPD05074 came out after UPD05073. Besides versions, the PDF lists what came with update. And, dealerships do not have *.bins for individuals. They only have complete head unit firmware, which updates BT Media & Communication among other things at the same time.

The three number sets are as follows:
  • Major Version
  • Secondary or Minor Version
  • Patch Version
Compare left to right and only move to next section if prior is the same. For example
003-003-002 & 003-013-001
- Skipped Major as the same
- 013 > 003: so one on right is newer
right, I'm aware of how the naming is supposed to go. It appears as though with the website change I'm being offered an older update. Must be a minor mistake OR a rollback. I have UPD05074.bin in my car from two weeks ago and the MN-xxx.xxx.xxx/TN-xxx.xxx.xxx seem to have a minor update. Right now UPD05073.bin is on the website. Oh well.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
right, I'm aware of how the naming is supposed to go. It appears as though with the website change I'm being offered an older update. Must be a minor mistake OR a rollback. I have UPD05074.bin in my car from two weeks ago and the MN-xxx.xxx.xxx/TN-xxx.xxx.xxx seem to have a minor update. Right now UPD05073.bin is on the website. Oh well.

Not sure. UPD05074 showed up February or earlier and that is the one I see. Yet, that is still years old firmware.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5M
Resurrecting a super old thread here but the software update website from BMW seems to be dead now. The website is still there but in the box below where you are supposed to enter your model and VIN, there's a dead box saying "can't connect to static.bmw.com"

I need to update my 2011 E70 CIC iDrive because I did a combox retrofit and my original software is too old. Any ideas? I've searched high and low (on google) and cannot find an offsite download link to any software updates, unfortunately.

-rayo

Current: 2011 X5M

Retired: 2004 330i ZHP (I miss you, old friend...)
__________________________________________________ __
Old 05-12-2019, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo View Post
Resurrecting a super old thread here but the software update website from BMW seems to be dead now. The website is still there but in the box below where you are supposed to enter your model and VIN, there's a dead box saying "can't connect to static.bmw.com"

I need to update my 2011 E70 CIC iDrive because I did a combox retrofit and my original software is too old. Any ideas? I've searched high and low (on google) and cannot find an offsite download link to any software updates, unfortunately.

-rayo
It would help if you asked on the correct (E70) forum, not the F30 forum.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 428i Grand Coupé
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayo View Post

-rayo
Was an outage best I can tell... I had the similar issue. However today it's working properly.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search