What are the known issues with Active Hybrid 3 / 5 / 7 ? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-14-2019, 01:53 AM
stercet stercet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Mein Auto:
What are the known issues with Active Hybrid 3 / 5 / 7 ?

Hello everyone,

Brand new member here. Hope you're all well.

I have been desperetely searching for this information and could not find any good answers. The Active Hybrid models seems to have nicely depreciated and I'd be interested in owning one as it answers most of my car desiderata.

Cheapest I found was an Active Hybrid 3 in a pristine state, in Berlin, nicely equipped with 45.000km for 26.800. Before going ahead with my purchase, I'd like to have some feedback from you guys. I heard of transmission replacement costing 25k, batteries replacement costing 6k to 8k a piece. But these are the only 2 major complaints I found. I figured it is a misunderstood and somewhat unloved car.

I am generally afraid of after-cost on hybrid models so any advice is welcome !

Thank you very much in advance,

Stercet
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-14-2019, 06:21 AM
jjrandorin jjrandorin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 8,689
Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stercet View Post
Hello everyone,

Brand new member here. Hope you're all well.

I have been desperetely searching for this information and could not find any good answers. The Active Hybrid models seems to have nicely depreciated and I'd be interested in owning one as it answers most of my car desiderata.

Cheapest I found was an Active Hybrid 3 in a pristine state, in Berlin, nicely equipped with 45.000km for 26.800. Before going ahead with my purchase, I'd like to have some feedback from you guys. I heard of transmission replacement costing 25k, batteries replacement costing 6k to 8k a piece. But these are the only 2 major complaints I found. I figured it is a misunderstood and somewhat unloved car.

I am generally afraid of after-cost on hybrid models so any advice is welcome !

Thank you very much in advance,

Stercet
Why do you want a hybrid? The Miles per gallon is not very much different than non BMW hybrids. What about the hybrid fits your needs that the regular gas / diesel car doesnt?

I say this as the driver of both a gas BMW (X3 M40) and an EV (tesla model 3). We had an active hybrid 5 which got like 3-4 MPG more than the regular 535. Only reason I took it because it was a cheap lease. Never would have owned the car even after driving it.

I think the new Plug in hybrids are better, but they get very short EV only range. I am not sure how BMW hybrid batteries are holding up, but I would not want to have one of those used, myself.. as replacing those batteries will eat up any MPG savings.
__________________

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-14-2019, 08:10 AM
Btaylora Btaylora is offline
The Batman
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW Active Hybrid 3
My experience so far has been great. I bought one with about the same miles as you are considering. I made sure to get the extended warranty so I'm protected if I happen to have problems like you are describing. But so far (56,000 miles) I have only had minor problems that have been fixed under warranty. As you indicated, depreciation has seemed to occur quicker on these cars making them more affordable to own. I like the fact that I get a steady 38 mpg on the highway, but if I want to ramp it up, I can put it in Sport or Sport + and have some fun. Mine is a pristine example of one of these cars and I am proud of it. I suppose one could argue and possible experience unfortunate problems with them. But the engine is a proven winner and I enjoy driving it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 05-14-2019, 08:29 AM
stercet stercet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Why do you want a hybrid? The Miles per gallon is not very much different than non BMW hybrids. What about the hybrid fits your needs that the regular gas / diesel car doesnt?

I say this as the driver of both a gas BMW (X3 M40) and an EV (tesla model 3). We had an active hybrid 5 which got like 3-4 MPG more than the regular 535. Only reason I took it because it was a cheap lease. Never would have owned the car even after driving it.

I think the new Plug in hybrids are better, but they get very short EV only range. I am not sure how BMW hybrid batteries are holding up, but I would not want to have one of those used, myself.. as replacing those batteries will eat up any MPG savings.
I thank you very much for your feedback. I agree with the plug in hybrids being better but sound wise, I'd still love that 3.0 6 cylinder over a 2.0 4 cyl. I don't have anywhere private to actually charge and spending time on random electric charge spot and leave the car sit there for countless hours is not an option. Also, I'll be driving back and forth between Belgium and France quite often, so any minor gas saving is welcome. You make a great point about saving vs battery replacement cost but this point is also available for any of the current plug in hybrid gen.

Second reason is all a question of taxes. In europe, and especially where I will be moving in, France, it's much less taxes to own a second hand car and even better if it is an hybrid. That can make you save thousands of euros. Just so you get the idea. In France, buying a new car that is above 200CO represent an extra taxe of 10.000.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-14-2019, 08:45 AM
stercet stercet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btaylora View Post
My experience so far has been great. I bought one with about the same miles as you are considering. I made sure to get the extended warranty so I'm protected if I happen to have problems like you are describing. But so far (56,000 miles) I have only had minor problems that have been fixed under warranty. As you indicated, depreciation has seemed to occur quicker on these cars making them more affordable to own. I like the fact that I get a steady 38 mpg on the highway, but if I want to ramp it up, I can put it in Sport or Sport + and have some fun. Mine is a pristine example of one of these cars and I am proud of it. I suppose one could argue and possible experience unfortunate problems with them. But the engine is a proven winner and I enjoy driving it.
Awesome ! What you describe is really what I'd be looking for. Have you own it for long ?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-14-2019, 10:17 AM
Btaylora Btaylora is offline
The Batman
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW Active Hybrid 3
I've owned it for almost two years. It's a 2013 so it's almost 6 years old now. But very little wear is showing. I don't put alot of miles on it. I have taken some longer trips and it is a pleasure to drive. And of course, when on the expressway, I put it in eco mode and monitor the mpg's. Then set the cruise and I am impressed with the mileage, especially considering the power that the engine can put out.

There are some other minor advantages that I love. The air conditioning is run directly off the high voltage battery, so even though the car is stopped and engine off, the air keeps on pumping. There is even a way to use the remote to cool the car down on a hot day before getting in. Because the hybrid battery is located in the rear between the wheels, the balance of the car is improved to almost 50/50. It does add weight, though, but is compensated to a degree with the added electric horsepower. In stop and go traffic, the engine can remain off and you can crawl along at low speed using electric only. After a while the engine comes on to charge the battery, but the battery recovers quickly.

And I can't help but believe that the engine miles are less than the odometer because of the cumulative number of times the engine has shut down. I grant you, it's not a great deal and probably does not make any difference in the big picture.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-14-2019, 12:32 PM
stercet stercet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
Mein Auto:
@Btaylora Thank you for all the great details. Its pretty helpful and strengthen my will to own one. I'd be curious to hear about someone who has/d one for a longer period and possibly had major issues so I have the two perspective. I'd be driving probably around 20.000 miles a year with it so if batteries are a known point of failure, I'd probably steer away. Anyway, thanks again !
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheels and Oil Pan ZaBumaFoo E36 (1991 - 1999) 1 01-19-2017 10:09 AM
Bluebee E39 (DIYs with lots of photographs) bluebee E39 (1997 - 2003) 58 10-15-2015 02:51 PM
The all new 2016 G12 7 Series - Official Details tim330i 7 Series - G11 / G12 (2016 - current) 25 09-17-2015 11:44 AM
See How the 2013 BMW 7 Series Raises the Bar Once Again pix335i 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015) 122 06-26-2012 12:35 PM
NFL - BimmerFest Fantasy football 09'? Araq44 Off-Topic 368 08-09-2010 03:04 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.