Front Wheel Bearings - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 320i
Front Wheel Bearings

Have you ever heard about both front wheel bearings going bad at the same time? I have not. My car went to the shop due to some front end noise. Dealership said right front wheel bearing is bad. They replaced it and then called me back today to say that the left front bearing is bad too.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

Old 05-13-2019, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi
Considering that both sets of bearings are the same age, I would have replaced the other at the same time.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:27 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCWhybrew View Post
Have you ever heard about both front wheel bearings going bad at the same time? I have not. My car went to the shop due to some front end noise. Dealership said right front wheel bearing is bad. They replaced it and then called me back today to say that the left front bearing is bad too.

It would be very very rare to have them both fail at the same time, More likely one is worse then then other which is what took the car to the shop and then both were discovered to have heavy wear etc.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
They were both making noise but one was louder than the other. Unusual but possible.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Bad wheel bearings usually make more noise in a turn than when going straight. The one on the outside of the turn makes more noise. Noisy tires, usually when worn out, make a similar noise but it doesn't increase when turning.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the replies. The dealership service advisor said they replaced the right front wheel bearing (because the noise was on the right side). Then when they test drove it, there was still some ďslightĒ noise. So, they want to replace the left side.

My skepticism lies in the fact that a couple of months ago I had a persistent P2096 code. The same dealership said it was a bad catalytic converter. So we replaced the rear cat. But the CEL appeared again, same code. So we had to replace the front cat. I still get the intermittent CEL, which I just clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 05-13-2019, 06:35 PM

I had front wheel bearing go bad on my Cobalt at around 55k miles. The other three are fine at 120k miles. Sometimes, *** happens. It's plausible that there was a bad batch of front wheel bearings and your car got two of them.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xi
Did you by any chance just have your winter tires changed over? Spring time up here in the north country is also called wheel bearing time. Many times wheel bearings will go bad during the winter but the snow tires are so noisy people donít here them. Itís possible that they both started to go bad at different times but the noise could not be heard over the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.luurtsema View Post
Did you by any chance just have your winter tires changed over? Spring time up here in the north country is also called wheel bearing time. Many times wheel bearings will go bad during the winter but the snow tires are so noisy people donít here them. Itís possible that they both started to go bad at different times but the noise could not be heard over the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I donít use winter tires. Iím in Oklahoma. The noise started a few weeks ago. I just got the car back.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
I work with wheel bearing warranty, and we don't allow both bearings to be replaced if only one is bad. It's unusual for both bearings to go bad at the same time unless both wheels hit a curb or if the car was flooded up the the axles.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport 6sp MT
Front wheel bearings used to be servicable and they required periodic maintenance, often done at the same time as replacing brake rotors or drums. Nowadays most are sealed non-servicable units and while they they last a long time without any maintance the old style servicable units could last almost forever with routine cleaning, repacking with fresh grease and proper adjustment.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDunes View Post
Front wheel bearings used to be servicable and they required periodic maintenance, often done at the same time as replacing brake rotors or drums. Nowadays most are sealed non-servicable units and while they they last a long time without any maintance the old style servicable units could last almost forever with routine cleaning, repacking with fresh grease and proper adjustment.
The good old days were really the bad old days.

Newer BMW's have very efficient wheel bearings. There's a big bridge that connects the two halves of the area I live in. All my cars (not Frau Putzer's) have had manual transmissions. I coast down the bridge in neutral to improve MPG. My F10 gains more speed coasting down the bridge that my old M3 did or Chevy Cobalt does.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 320i (F30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
The good old days were really the bad old days.

Newer BMW's have very efficient wheel bearings. There's a big bridge that connects the two halves of the area I live in. All my cars (not Frau Putzer's) have had manual transmissions. I coast down the bridge in neutral to improve MPG. My F10 gains more speed coasting down the bridge that my old M3 did or Chevy Cobalt does.
So that's why my F30 keeps going and going. Even in a parking lot, the car keep rolling. On the street, it keeps going and going.
Step by step instructions when a hood release cable needs replacement. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=981724
SIB 11 13 15 oil filter housing for the F30 - metal since mid-2013 and can be retrofitted without charge
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=951692
Old 05-17-2019, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 20T View Post
So that's why my F30 keeps going and going. Even in a parking lot, the car keep rolling. On the street, it keeps going and going.
My road trips north start and end with an 80-mile stint through the boonies, with maybe ten turns, stop signs, or stop lights. I enter a destination in the NAV so that it counts down the distance to a turn. When there's nobody behind me, I start coasting up to the turn or stop at about 0.7 miles.

My car's a manual, but the later BMW's (starting around 2014) do the coasting thing when in EcoPro.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:12 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDunes View Post
Maybe the biggest trouble that I got into as a USN sailor was rebuking a senior enlisted for touching super high quality bearings with a hammer. They were open cage ball bearings and cost about $50K each in sets of three. Properly selected cartridge bearings should last nearly forever.

I have been owning, driving and maintaining cars one way and the other for more than fifty years and don't recall ever changing wheel bearings. When I have been around open cage bearings then I am glad to clean, inspect, repack, reinstall and preload bearings - and happy to do it with patience.

I have a 20 year old high tech bicycle hub out in the garage that is still smooth - and too expensive to throw away, a five cartridge bearing Phil Wood FSA hub that is 160 mm OLN for zero dish disc brakes.

I think bearings are disrespected same as many modern commodities that youngsters take for granted.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 05-17-2019 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:13 AM

I had the both bearings go out in my VW Rabbit. What really hurts a wheel bearing is hitting any kind of bump while under lateral loading, e.g. expansion joints on off-ramps. That's what did mine in, and the left one was worse than the right one (since I took a lot more right turning off ramps fast).

When a bearing fails, is usually does so by spalling. The metal peels like old paint, from "contact stresses." All the grease in the world can't stop that if the stresses are too large.

I had a right front bearing fail on my Chevy Cobalt at 60k miles. At 120k miles, the three original bearings and the replacement bearing are fine. Sometimes, **** randomly happens.

Bill Bob's jacked up, giant-tire, half-ton pick-up truck goes through wheel bearings. The wider track ends up putting a bending force on the bearings and over-stresses them.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:02 AM
BMW CCA 69606

Mein Auto: '15 435i '10 535i '08 X5
Knock on wood, I've never had a wheel bearing failure in 38 years of owning 13 Bimmers. Most had 160-185M miles when sold.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search