what do you think of the M Performance Exhaust? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Lousy Dodge Caravan
what do you think of the M Performance Exhaust?

I came across a 2016 435i vert that is very nice but I'm wondering about the aftermarket M Performance Exhaust that was added. Does this exhaust set up increase horsepower or just noise? I'm always a bit leery of aftermarket modifications, that's just me.
I enjoy a throaty exhaust. My old Porsche had a great sound. But it seems that the M Performance might be more for attention and too loud. Do others have an opinion?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin

Speak the truth,
Be guided by love,
Adopt responsibility,
and clean up your damn room.
- Dr. Jordan B.Peterson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 09:37 AM
Porleau

Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 340xi M-Sport
I have a '17 340xi with port installed M Performance Power & Sound Kit. I don't believe there is any power gains with the exhaust alone (obviously the 'Power' part of the kit gets you another ~35hp/39tq). Anyway, I have found that in 'Comfort' mode the exhaust is just a little more throaty than stock. When in 'Sport' mode, you get the burbles and popping on overrun conditions. It's also significantly more throaty. In no way is it as raucous as modern muscle cars (e.g., high performance Mustangs and Camaros), but it does add a little more personality to the typically sedate B58 engine and exhaust.

I believe the experience you would have with the N55 engine is similar. If it were my money, I would go with the MPPK kit for the N55 which gives you some actual performance gains. I had this in my previous '14 335xi and you do get some of the burbles and pops in Sport mode - even without the M Performance exhaust.

2017 340i xDrive | Mineral Gray | Coral Red Dakota | M-Sport | M Performance Power & Sound | ZCW | ZDA | ZLP | 2PE | 2VF| ZTP | 5DL | 5DP | 6CP
2017 X3 2.8 xDrive | Deep Sea Blue | Saddle Brown Dakota | ZXD | ZW2 | ZDA | ZLP | ZP3 | ZTP | 5DL

Gone, but not forgotten:
14 BMW 335xi F30
11 BMW 335xi E90
08 BMW 335i E90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
85 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 04-05-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorrey View Post
I have a '17 340xi with port installed M Performance Power & Sound Kit. I don't believe there is any power gains with the exhaust alone (obviously the 'Power' part of the kit gets you another ~35hp/39tq). Anyway, I have found that in 'Comfort' mode the exhaust is just a little more throaty than stock. When in 'Sport' mode, you get the burbles and popping on overrun conditions. It's also significantly more throaty. In no way is it as raucous as modern muscle cars (e.g., high performance Mustangs and Camaros), but it does add a little more personality to the typically sedate B58 engine and exhaust.

I believe the experience you would have with the N55 engine is similar. If it were my money, I would go with the MPPK kit for the N55 which gives you some actual performance gains. I had this in my previous '14 335xi and you do get some of the burbles and pops in Sport mode - even without the M Performance exhaust.
Thanks for your comments! So, do you think that I would not wake up my neighbors in Comfort mode? I'm new to this, how would I know if an MPPK kit has already been installed?
Thanks!

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. - Benjamin Franklin

Speak the truth,
Be guided by love,
Adopt responsibility,
- Dr. Jordan B.Peterson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 07:32 AM
Porleau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship4u View Post
Thanks for your comments! So, do you think that I would not wake up my neighbors in Comfort mode? I'm new to this, how would I know if an MPPK kit has already been installed?
Thanks!
Not at all. It's nothing like the new Mustangs that have a 'quiet' mode to avoid annoying your neighbors. In comfort mode, there's only a slight change in sound at idle and under power. In sport mode, there is a noticeable change, but again, not really raucous until overrun conditions.

For the N55 engines (i.e., 335i, 435i, etc.) BMW offered two M Performance options:

Power Kit: This is essentially an engine tune that increases horsepower and torque by roughly 10%. It also adds some exhaust burbles and pops in some conditions with the factory exhaust. This costs around $1,200 (plus labor) and requires a BMW technician to 'program' the car among other things. I had this applied to my '14 335i. There is a placard that is placed on the fan shroud in the car that indicates if this has been installed. It is very unlikely that your car has this as it wasn't really advertised as a factory option.

Exhaust Kit: This is a replacement of the exhaust system from the cats back (I believe). I think there are some minor performance increases, but the system definitely improves the exhaust sound. I'm not sure what this costs, but is what you are considering.

These can be purchased separately, but they obviously can be bundled for a complete package. When the B58 engine was launched with the 340i, 440i, etc. these were no longer separate - it became a single package. I have this on my current 340i and love it.

In my opinion, I would go with the Power Kit over the exhaust, but that's just me.

Hope this helps!

2017 340i xDrive | Mineral Gray | Coral Red Dakota | M-Sport | M Performance Power & Sound | ZCW | ZDA | ZLP | 2PE | 2VF| ZTP | 5DL | 5DP | 6CP
2017 X3 2.8 xDrive | Deep Sea Blue | Saddle Brown Dakota | ZXD | ZW2 | ZDA | ZLP | ZP3 | ZTP | 5DL

Gone, but not forgotten:
14 BMW 335xi F30
11 BMW 335xi E90
08 BMW 335i E90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
85 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 04-06-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Not at all. It's nothing like the new Mustangs that have a 'quiet' mode to avoid annoying your neighbors. In comfort mode, there's only a slight change in sound at idle and under power. In sport mode, there is a noticeable change, but again, not really raucous until overrun conditions.

For the N55 engines (i.e., 335i, 435i, etc.) BMW offered two M Performance options:

Power Kit: This is essentially an engine tune that increases horsepower and torque by roughly 10%. It also adds some exhaust burbles and pops in some conditions with the factory exhaust. This costs around $1,200 (plus labor) and requires a BMW technician to 'program' the car among other things. I had this applied to my '14 335i. There is a placard that is placed on the fan shroud in the car that indicates if this has been installed. It is very unlikely that your car has this as it wasn't really advertised as a factory option.

Exhaust Kit: This is a replacement of the exhaust system from the cats back (I believe). I think there are some minor performance increases, but the system definitely improves the exhaust sound. I'm not sure what this costs, but is what you are considering.

These can be purchased separately, but they obviously can be bundled for a complete package. When the B58 engine was launched with the 340i, 440i, etc. these were no longer separate - it became a single package. I have this on my current 340i and love it.

In my opinion, I would go with the Power Kit over the exhaust, but that's just me.

Hope this helps!
Very interesting and helpful. Thanks!

Speak the truth,
Be guided by love,
Adopt responsibility,
- Dr. Jordan B.Peterson
Old 04-06-2019, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i x-drive F32
Quote:
I came across a 2016 435i vert that is very nice but I'm wondering about the aftermarket M Performance Exhaust that was added. Does this exhaust set up increase horsepower or just noise? I'm always a bit leery of aftermarket modifications, that's just me.
I enjoy a throaty exhaust. My old Porsche had a great sound. But it seems that the M Performance might be more for attention and too loud. Do others have an opinion?
I have it on my 2015 435i, installed by my dealer (btw, it's OEM part not aftermarket). Sound is improved but is not obnoxious. Your neighbors should not complain (cold starts may annoy them, but it tones down in a few seconds), it's muted unlike the exhaust on an F-type exhaust and only comes alive under certain conditions.
2007 328i E92 rwd used (traded-in 11/02/2016)
Old 04-06-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbingo View Post
I have it on my 2015 435i, installed by my dealer (btw, it's OEM part not aftermarket). Sound is improved but is not obnoxious. Your neighbors should not complain (cold starts may annoy them, but it tones down in a few seconds), it's muted unlike the exhaust on an F-type exhaust and only comes alive under certain conditions.
Thanks. I drove a 2015 M3 that was pretty loud on start up and then toned down after it warmed up. Is it similar? I don't recall the M3 burbling and popping as I've heard on videos of the M Performance exhaust.

Speak the truth,
Be guided by love,
Adopt responsibility,
- Dr. Jordan B.Peterson
Old 04-06-2019, 11:10 AM
Porleau

Quote:
Thanks. I drove a 2015 M3 that was pretty loud on start up and then toned down after it warmed up. Is it similar? I don't recall the M3 burbling and popping as I've heard on videos of the M Performance exhaust.
On initial startup, all BMWs rev a little higher and the exhaust flaps are open. This is to heat up the catalytic converters. After 20secs or so the exhaust flaps close and revs come down.

Gone, but not forgotten:
14 BMW 335xi F30
11 BMW 335xi E90
08 BMW 335i E90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
85 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 04-06-2019, 06:02 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
We have the MPPK on our 2018 340. We were told that we could order the exhaust, or the complete package (exhaust plus chip) but that we could not start out with the exhaust and add the chip later. So we went whole hog as a Port Installed Accessory.

In Comfort mode? It sounds the same as any 340. In Sport? Rich, throaty, some nice burbles and pops on over run. On Sport Plus? Sweet Mother of God. It's joyously, ridiculously indecent. Not in a I'm-16-and-dropped-glass-packs-in-a-ratty-old-Camaro way, but an I'm-driving-a-track-monster-on-the-street-and-the-chicks-dig-it sort of way. Juvenile, but oh-so-fun.
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 04-07-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
We have the MPPK on our 2018 340. We were told that we could order the exhaust, or the complete package (exhaust plus chip) but that we could not start out with the exhaust and add the chip later. So we went whole hog as a Port Installed Accessory.

In Comfort mode? It sounds the same as any 340. In Sport? Rich, throaty, some nice burbles and pops on over run. On Sport Plus? Sweet Mother of God. It's joyously, ridiculously indecent. Not in a I'm-16-and-dropped-glass-packs-in-a-ratty-old-Camaro way, but an I'm-driving-a-track-monster-on-the-street-and-the-chicks-dig-it sort of way. Juvenile, but oh-so-fun.
Great information. Thanks! What difference in driving experience do you feel with the chip?

Speak the truth,
Be guided by love,
Adopt responsibility,
- Dr. Jordan B.Peterson
Old 04-07-2019, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Grand Coupe
There chip is worth it but the car you’re looking at doesn’t have it, right?

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Old 04-07-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookster57 View Post
There chip is worth it but the car you're looking at doesn't have it, right?

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
I don't know. So, I'm going to check on that tomorrow. The car is a distance away from where I live, so I'll need to ask the dealership. The car has a sticker on the side that says "M Performance." The listing on the car says "Performance Exhaust", nothing more. How would I know if it had a chip? Would there be a sticker in the engine area?

Speak the truth,
Be guided by love,
Adopt responsibility,
- Dr. Jordan B.Peterson

Last edited by ship4u; 04-07-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:35 PM
Porleau

Quote:
I don't know. So, I'm going to check on that tomorrow. The car is a distance away from where I live, so I'll need to ask the dealership. The car has a sticker on the side that says "M Performance." The listing on the car says "Performance Exhaust", nothing more. How would I know if it had a chip? Would there be a sticker in the engine area?
The 'M Performance' stickers on the rocker panel were part of the MPPK on my '14 335i and MPPSK on my 340i. That said, the stickers can be purchased separately, so confirm that it has had the tune done. Like I mentioned previously, there should be a plaque on the fan/radiator shroud when you open the hood.

Gone, but not forgotten:
14 BMW 335xi F30
11 BMW 335xi E90
08 BMW 335i E90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
85 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 04-07-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
The 'M Performance' stickers on the rocker panel were part of the MPPK on my '14 335i and MPPSK on my 340i. That said, the stickers can be purchased separately, so confirm that it has had the tune done. Like I mentioned previously, there should be a plaque on the fan/radiator shroud when you open the hood.
Thanks!

Speak the truth,
Be guided by love,
Adopt responsibility,
- Dr. Jordan B.Peterson
Old 04-07-2019, 03:01 PM
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'

Mein Auto: '93 "Beemer" R100r
Wouldn't the MPPK and exhaust package show up when you decode the cars VIN if the car was so equipped?

If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty View Post
Wouldn't the MPPK and exhaust package show up when you decode the cars VIN if the car was so equipped?
Nothing showed up when I ran the VIN, so I assume it was done later. Nothing shows on the Carfax either.

Speak the truth,
Be guided by love,
Adopt responsibility,
- Dr. Jordan B.Peterson
Old 04-07-2019, 05:17 PM
Porleau

Quote:
Nothing showed up when I ran the VIN, so I assume it was done later. Nothing shows on the Carfax either.
It won't show up on the VIN as it's a port installed option when ordering from the factory.

Gone, but not forgotten:
14 BMW 335xi F30
11 BMW 335xi E90
08 BMW 335i E90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
85 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 04-07-2019, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i x-drive F32
Quote:
The stickers on the rocker panels are just that, stickers. Same as the m performance engine cover. To be sure, you need to check with ISTA-D if the mppk retrofit was added to the VO. When I do vehicle discovery on my car, ISTA shows the MPPK as well as my m performance brake kit retrofit options. Of course, I also know because I was the one who had the dealer install the retrofits and have receipts to prove that. What I'm saying is that I would not trust stickers alone. Seeing that you are seeing the dealer, I would ask them for the service history showing when those retrofits were added.
2007 328i E92 rwd used (traded-in 11/02/2016)

Last edited by bimmerbingo; 04-07-2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbingo View Post
The stickers on the rocker panels are just that, stickers. Same as the m performance engine cover. To be sure, you need to check with ISTA-D if the mppk retrofit was added to the VO. When I do vehicle discovery on my car, ISTA shows the MPPK as well as my m performance brake kit retrofit options. Of course, I also know because I was the one who had the dealer install the retrofits and have receipts to prove that. What I'm saying is that I would not trust stickers alone. Seeing that you are seeing the dealer, I would ask them for the service history showing when those retrofits were added.
Great, thanks!

Speak the truth,
Be guided by love,
Adopt responsibility,
- Dr. Jordan B.Peterson
Old 04-08-2019, 04:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shon528 Send a message via Yahoo to Shon528
Mein Auto: '16 GLE350
Quote:

Hope this helps!
The MPPK (M-Performance power Kit) for x35 cars (N55) included the tune and air box while using the stock exhaust. On the car that the OP is looking at, you can ask the dealer to send a pic of the engine bay where you should see the intake, new engine cover, as well as the MPPK sticker. BMW also offered a separate M-Performance exhaust for those cars that could be added with or w/o the MPPK. The MPPSK (M-Performance Power and Sound Kit) on the LCI x40 cars (B58) includes the tune and a straight piped cat-back exhaust while using the standard air box. Key features to look for on these cars would be the under hood sticker, the muffler has "M-Performance" embossed on it, and larger exhaust tips in either stainless steel or carbon fiber w/ the M logo etched on the top.

Quote:
The M-performance stickers along the side skirts was a separate option when I ordered my 340 and had nothing to do w/ getting the MPPSK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty View Post
MPPK & MPPSK are M-Performance accessories installed at the port or the dealer so they would not show on a VIN decoder. If port-installed however, it would be on the original window sticker. And as someone mentioned, you can always go to the service dept and they should be able to pull it there. Maybe even go to your local dealer w/ the last 7 of the VIN and see if they'd check for you? You're not asking for the history or a print out, just what equipment is on the car.

Gone: '16 GLE350, '06 LR3 HSE, '14 320i 6MT ZSP ZPP ZLP ZCW PCD 5/14, '12 ML350 diesel, '11 Accord 5mt, '10 MDX, '08 Accord 5mt, '06 Xterra 6mt, '98 528i, '95 Mazda Millenia

Last edited by Shon528; 04-08-2019 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon528 View Post
The MPPK (M-Performance power Kit) for x35 cars (N55) included the tune and air box while using the stock exhaust. On the car that the OP is looking at, you can ask the dealer to send a pic of the engine bay where you should see the intake, new engine cover, as well as the MPPK sticker. BMW also offered a separate M-Performance exhaust for those cars that could be added with or w/o the MPPK. The MPPSK (M-Performance Power and Sound Kit) on the LCI x40 cars (B58) includes the tune and a straight piped cat-back exhaust while using the standard air box. Key features to look for on these cars would be the under hood sticker, the muffler has "M-Performance" embossed on it, and larger exhaust tips in either stainless steel or carbon fiber w/ the M logo etched on the top.

The M-performance stickers along the side skirts was a separate option when I ordered my 340 and had nothing to do w/ getting the MPPSK.

MPPK & MPPSK are M-Performance accessories installed at the port or the dealer so they would not show on a VIN decoder. If port-installed however, it would be on the original window sticker. And as someone mentioned, you can always go to the service dept and they should be able to pull it there. Maybe even go to your local dealer w/ the last 7 of the VIN and see if they'd check for you? You're not asking for the history or a print out, just what equipment is on the car.
Excellent information! I'll let you know what I find out from the dealer.

Speak the truth,
Be guided by love,
Adopt responsibility,
- Dr. Jordan B.Peterson
Old 04-08-2019, 11:27 AM

Thanks everyone for your help. Unfortunately, the car has been sold. Now I know more information to prepare me for the next time. Bummer, though.

Speak the truth,
Be guided by love,
Adopt responsibility,
- Dr. Jordan B.Peterson
Old 04-15-2019, 05:16 PM
Sandlapper

Mein Auto: '13 650GC, '14 M6 coupe
Performance exhaust installed

Thanks to all for the info about the exhaust options. I had the M Performance Exhaust system installed by my local BMW dealer last week on my 2019 440 GC. I have to say I'm pleased with the result. It's not too loud and gives a sound that fits better with the engine than the stock exhaust system, which I thought was too meek and weak.

2019 440i GC Mineral Grey
2014 M6 Singapore Grey -Sold
2013 650iGC M Sport Black Sapphire Metallic-Sold
2012 650i Black Sapphire Metallic-Sold
2011 535i Sport Black Sapphire Metallic-Sold
2008 650i Space Grey-Sold
2007 335i Space Grey Coupe-Sold
Old 04-16-2019, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper View Post
Thanks to all for the info about the exhaust options. I had the M Performance Exhaust system installed by my local BMW dealer last week on my 2019 440 GC. I have to say I'm pleased with the result. It's not too loud and gives a sound that fits better with the engine than the stock exhaust system, which I thought was too meek and weak.
Thanks for your comments. What does it cost to add? Did you add a chip also? Thanks!

Speak the truth,
Be guided by love,
Adopt responsibility,
- Dr. Jordan B.Peterson
Old 04-16-2019, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 435i convertib le
I added the total MPPK, exhaust and air intake. Added about 30 hp and there is a Software update too. I say the only negative is cruising speed at 60 mp there is a lower rumble that was not there before. My wife noticed. Easy fix just drive 70! jk.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search