Best quick spray wax - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: E61 530D, E46 328i Tourin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaird View Post
2) For roughly 2X or more the price, there are synthetic polymers (long chain organic chemicals), that will behave as well or better than Carnuba. I prefer these, as they last about 2X as long, shine just a tad better, and are generally concocted to apply as easily as carnauba.
Heaven knows what shadetree school goes from "General Chemistry" to "Organic Chem" after a year! Wheew, a recipe for failure.

https://www.amazon.com/MicroLubrol-S.../dp/B00ZM36ER8

8 ounces 100% $20

I just looked back to see that three semesters of inorganic chemistry was prerequisite for O-chem, and everybody took two semesters to pass organic chemistry 1. It's pretty much a prerequisite for any postgraduate medicine. Fortunately I was retired and taking courses to satisfy my curiosity. College of Charleston and Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston.
Whoops, Now you're just coming across as a bit of a d*ck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 06:01 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_NZ View Post
oh darn
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:29 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW-less (again)
3-4x a year:

Occasionally between:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhebigscreen View Post
Do you think the average forum member understood your last post?
I understood every word he was saying. He had an excellent post a few weeks back about all the Hoop La about Ceramic Coatings and Synthetic Polymers which is a bunch of Marketing Bull ****. I used his suggestion about UMicroLubrol Type 200 Fluid Silicone Oil. You will also need an Emulsifier to be added so it mixes well with Water. I ordered both products and followed his suggestion.
SHOOOOT this combination is by far the best and easiest application I have ever used and I have been waxing my "Pride and Joys" for over 50 years. I've tried all the best products available including Carnauba Wax which was my go to application for years!! PDMS is the only way to go now a days. It last longer than any Wax, Synthetic Polymers and Ceramic Coatings by far!! It's fairly inexpensive and a heck of a lot cheaper than all products I've Mentioned. Cj
Old 05-14-2019, 08:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: SF Bay Area
"https://www.amazon.com/MicroLubrol-S.../dp/B00ZM36ER8"

What would you use this for?
Old 05-14-2019, 08:36 PM
Glaird

Mein Auto: F10-'16 550i, F82-'18 M4
Quote:
Heaven knows what shadetree school goes from "General Chemistry" to "Organic Chem" after a year! Wheew, a recipe for failure.

https://www.amazon.com/MicroLubrol-S.../dp/B00ZM36ER8

8 ounces 100% $20

I just looked back to see that three semesters of inorganic chemistry was prerequisite for O-chem, and everybody took two semesters to pass organic chemistry 1. It's pretty much a prerequisite for any postgraduate medicine. Fortunately I was retired and taking courses to satisfy my curiosity. College of Charleston and Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston.
Take a look at one of the iTunes U courses from Yale. They are teaching freshman 1st quarter kids, the fundamentals of Organic Chem, based on Quantum Mechanics, as an introduction to the very subject of Chemistry. Yale is hardly a shade tree school.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty150hs View Post
"https://www.amazon.com/MicroLubrol-S.../dp/B00ZM36ER8"

What would you use this for?
I use this stuff for 2 different types of applications. I own a Black BMW and now can wash it in direct hot sunny days here in San Jose California without worrying about soap drying on my car. I'm washing with a pretty heavy soap content that is ph neutral. I'll wash the top and one side of the car and then spray my PDMS formula onto the soap then continue to was the rest of car and spray PDMS formula on that, all the while I'm doing this in 85 degree weather in direct sun. PDMS will penetrate the soap and adhere itself to the paint lifting the soap away from the finish so there is no spotting or soap burning into the paint. I only have to rinse the car off 1 time instead of multiple times keeping the entire car wet until i have completed washing. Drying is a Breeze, water sheets right off and whats left are are little poodles like what you see on freshly wax paint. Car dries off using 1 micro fiber towel including all windows leaving a beautiful shine without streaks or spotting. Remember this is being done on a "Black" car directly in the "Sun". Then it's time to do my monthly Clay Bar and "No" not spray wax for a lubricate, I know use the same PDMS spray for the clay bar lubricate. I also don't use clay anymore either. I now use a "Clay Mitt'. Chemical Guys sells theirs for around $50.00 and I buy the China knock off for $10.00 on Amazon. The Mitts are much larger and I feel they do a better job and twice as fast. I spray the PDMS solution and start gliding over the car effortlessly with the mitt. The whole process to complete the car takes around 15 minutes.The solution wipes off quickly and leaves a Deep Gloss Shine like a freshly ceramic car. No Rubbing Wax or Sealant and then Buffing it off, those days are over, Plus all this was being done on a black car in direct sun light!! Beat That with any other product out there!!!
Old 05-14-2019, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: '10 550i M Sport Dinan S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliejones408 View Post
UMicroLubrol Type 200 Fluid Silicone Oil. You will also need an Emulsifier to be added so it mixes well with Water. I ordered both products and followed his suggestion.
SHOOOOT this combination is by far the best and easiest application I have ever used and I have been waxing my "Pride and Joys" for over 50 years. I've tried all the best products available including Carnauba Wax which was my go to application for years!! PDMS is the only way to go now a days. It last longer than any Wax, Synthetic Polymers and Ceramic Coatings by far!! It's fairly inexpensive and a heck of a lot cheaper than all products I've Mentioned. Cj
Would you be so kind as to share what you used as an emulsifier, the ratio, and how did you apply it?

Thanks in advance

Edit: you posted your method while I was typing my question, thank you.

Last edited by Icehole; 05-14-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 Sport
Doug Huffman
You forgot to include the word "Practically", as in (practically insoluble in water) and (practically insoluble in ethyl alcohol)

Last edited by the_croz; 05-14-2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:54 PM

Sure no problem. Mix 30 mills (2 tablespoons) of Silicone and 2 tablespoons of
Polysorbate 20 T solution (Emulsifier) together first. Then poor into 32 oz (1 quart ) spray bottle then add distilled water. Shake vigorously for 1 minute then away you go. Polysorbate 20 T solution can be purchased at Walmart for $6.49
Old 05-15-2019, 01:56 AM

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Y'all trollin '....!
All I use is H2o and some C17H25CooNa for years on all our cars. This is 25 year old black paint on one of Bavarias finest. Once a year before summer she'll be treated to a wax/polish.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dio///M; 05-15-2019 at 02:23 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:25 AM
former motorcycle rider

Mein Auto: F87 & F01
Quote:
Quote:
oh darn
LOL Doug. LOL Pete too, now that I think about it.

I read somewhere on the Internet, so it must be true, that there is no such thing as 100% carnumba wax. If it was, it would be a solid block and unusable. You have to dissolve it in solvents, and so really (my hypothesis) it's the composition of the solvents and other ingredients that differentiate the different varieties.

Look at me and the big words!
Old 05-15-2019, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: locally
Quote:
This in not a surprise.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: Lots
So.....off topic....but what seems an excellent opportunity to satisfy "inquiring minds"......

Doug,

Is a zebra a white horse with black stripes, or a black horse with white stripes?
Old 05-15-2019, 08:22 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by commandersander View Post
So.....off topic....but what seems an excellent opportunity to satisfy "inquiring minds"......Doug, Is a zebra a white horse with black stripes, or a black horse with white stripes?
Black with white stripes.

Horns, Tusks, and Flippers: The Evolution of Hoofed Mammals. (2003, JHU) by D. R. Prothero and R. M. Schoch (ISBN 978-0801871351)

https://www.amazon.com/Horns-Tusks-F.../dp/0801871352

My undergraduate tutor was a geneticist whose thesis was on chimerism in cats; which cats have evenly divided two color noses.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerGuy View Post
LOL Doug. LOL Pete too, now that I think about it.

I read somewhere on the Internet, so it must be true, that there is no such thing as 100% carnumba wax. If it was, it would be a solid block and unusable. You have to dissolve it in solvents, and so really (my hypothesis) it's the composition of the solvents and other ingredients that differentiate the different varieties.

Look at me and the big words!
BeemerGuy, You are absolutely "Correct".. I believe i read that somewhere on the Internet also. LOL.
Love your Mine, Hers and Ours. With my gratefully now "Ex-Wife" Everything was "Hers" and nothing was "Mine"... No Joke!!!
Old 05-15-2019, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: '10 550i M Sport Dinan S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliejones408 View Post
Mix 30 mills (2 tablespoons) of Silicone and
2 tablespoons of Polysorbate 20 T solution (Emulsifier) together first.
Then poor into 32 oz (1 quart ) spray bottle then add distilled water.
Shake vigorously for 1 minute then away you go.
Polysorbate 20 T solution can be purchased at Walmart for $6.49
Awesome!
Thank you!

For anyone else looking for the components of this magic elixir, this is what I came up with:

MicroLubrol 200 PDMS Silicon
https://smile.amazon.com/MicroLubrol-Silicone-Polydimethylsiloxane-centistokes-viscosity/dp/B00ZM36ER8/

Polysorbate 20 T solution Emulsifier
https://smile.amazon.com/Bottles-Polysorbate-FOOD-GRADE-KOSHER/dp/B01FY3GZU6/
Old 05-15-2019, 05:34 PM

That's a good price for the Polysorbate, Two 4oz bottles on Amazon plus shipping.Walmart just down the street for me. Two 4oz bottles will last you a very long time!!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search