330e tuning? - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle11 View Post
Depending on where you live Diesel fuel is less then Premium unleaded, currently here in phoenix Diesel is $2.09/gal and PUL is $2.57/g. Many people have reported that their 328d's are getting more then 42 on the highway.

I'm very much looking into the 330e I like the technology that is brings and the fact that you can drive up to 65 (i think in pure elec mode) just wish my employer would have elect plug in to help charge the car while I'm at work.
Hi. I am in Phoenix also and looking to get my 330e coded. Did you have a local coder? I am looking for someone to code my car. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2016, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 330e
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkonijn View Post
I enjoy the car every day. Especially the flexibility of the engine is fantastic. Hit the pedal when driving 100 km/h and you will drive 170 km/h before you know it.

The car feels quicker when driving in comfort mode. You clearly feel the power when shifting back.

Currently I am driving on map 6 on RON98 petrol. This gives extra power. But, for 0-100 I have issues to avoid wheelspin. The best time the I made until now is 6 seconds but I see that the motormanagement is trying to reduce wheelspin.

So, yes, so far I am happy with this tuning.
I don't suppose you have tried coding Launch Control on your 330e - not sure if it works if coded, but that would make your 0-100 (0-62MPH) test potentially more interesting.

Actually has anyone tried coding LC on in a 330e - does it work?
Old 09-26-2016, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330e
No, I didn't try. There is probably a reason why BMW disabled launch control on the 330e. And, in praxis the 0-100 time is less interesting than the flexibility you experience when taking ocer another car. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 05:52 AM
electrified

Mein Auto: 330e -17
Quote:
No, I didn't try. There is probably a reason why BMW disabled launch control on the 330e. And, in praxis the 0-100 time is less interesting than the flexibility you experience when taking ocer another car. :-)
Hello! How is the car running for you? Still going strong?
Old 01-05-2017, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 16 435 CV Msport PPK, Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dio///m View Post
tuning a 330e defeats the purpose that it was intended for, it would be more logical to get a 330d which is faster, much lighter and handles better cause it doesn't have all the battery weight in the boot. And adding a simple plug in tune to the 330d will result in massively bigger gains than anything added to the 'e'.

The 330e has a sort of two stage uncommon effect/feel in the breaking due to the energy regeneration process and i suspect this would compromise the confidence when driving fast and on the limit, so again the feeling would be inferior to a fast diesel.
+1
Old 01-05-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarvin View Post
Hello! How is the car running for you? Still going strong?
Yes, the car is still going strong. It is a very nice and fast car to drive. In the meantime I have driven about 14.000 km with this tuning kit. The car is really fast and it is not easy to control myself . The car is also very quiet inside which is also nice.

The electric range varies a lot. In the summer the range is about 28 km. Now, in winter, it is closer to 22 km. Driving in traffic jams on e-power is most efficient and also drives best. I do have to 'manage' my car myself by forcing the car to drive in e-mode because otherwise I my battery is not completely empty. Current fuel-consumption in the winter is close to 5l/100km, in summer is was closer to 4.2l/km.

Good things about the 330e are:
- Powerrrrr
- Adaptive LED
- Navigation system + RTTI
- Lack of noise
- Smooth ride
- Collision warning
- Interior lighting
- Quality feeling
- LCI drives better than non-LCI model. Car feels more mature

Less good:
- Adaptive cruise control: breaks too late in my opinion (-> collision warning is even sometimes triggered), reacts too slow especially in combination with eco-pro.
- Steering -> less good feeling in fast corners. The pre-LCI version with adaptive shock-absorbers felt better
- Some noise from the dashboard -> car is 'too' silent so you hear everything
- Limited range when doing long trips (~ 400 km)
- Sometimes switching between battery and engine is not 100%. Mainly when the battery is almost empty or when the engine is still cold. Normally you do NOT notice the switching at all so maybe I am to critical now

Conclusion: Very happy about the car which is mainly caused by the nice engine and speed potential.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
I have GEICO as my insurer. I called to inquire about mechanical breakdown insurance (:MBI") for my 2016 330e. They said that they do not offer it for the 330e. Her stated reason was the newness of the technology and parts. That makes tuning the car a lot more risky.

I think I will wait until my car is about a year old and see if GEICO has changed its mind. I can envision paying a small monthly fee for the next three years while under OEM warranty for peace of mind when warranty runs out but I am less sure that I want to spend $3K plus for an extended warranty now and not know whether I will still have the car in four years (auto accidnet, etc.) or whether I will want to keep it or replace it at that point. And for anyone looking to tune the car, that means that at least for now the GEICO MBI policy is not an alternative.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:10 AM

I think that the risk on mechanical breakdown is very limited. The tuning is done still within the specs of the engine and drive train (according Ventura). In fact the tuning of the engine brings the 320i close to the 330i which has mainly the same engine. Furthermore the tuning can be removed within 5 minutes and in not traceable. So, in case of a breakdown, first remove the tuning and then call the service. But, if you want to be 100% secure, it is indeed better to wait for an insurance that would cover potential damage.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:56 AM
electrified

Mein Auto: 330e -17
Quote:
Yes, the car is still going strong. It is a very nice and fast car to drive. In the meantime I have driven about 14.000 km with this tuning kit. The car is really fast and it is not easy to control myself . The car is also very quiet inside which is also nice.

The electric range varies a lot. In the summer the range is about 28 km. Now, in winter, it is closer to 22 km. Driving in traffic jams on e-power is most efficient and also drives best. I do have to 'manage' my car myself by forcing the car to drive in e-mode because otherwise I my battery is not completely empty. Current fuel-consumption in the winter is close to 5l/100km, in summer is was closer to 4.2l/km.

Good things about the 330e are:
- Powerrrrr
- Adaptive LED
- Navigation system + RTTI
- Lack of noise
- Smooth ride
- Collision warning
- Interior lighting
- Quality feeling
- LCI drives better than non-LCI model. Car feels more mature

Less good:
- Adaptive cruise control: breaks too late in my opinion (-> collision warning is even sometimes triggered), reacts too slow especially in combination with eco-pro.
- Steering -> less good feeling in fast corners. The pre-LCI version with adaptive shock-absorbers felt better
- Some noise from the dashboard -> car is 'too' silent so you hear everything
- Limited range when doing long trips (~ 400 km)
- Sometimes switching between battery and engine is not 100%. Mainly when the battery is almost empty or when the engine is still cold. Normally you do NOT notice the switching at all so maybe I am to critical now

Conclusion: Very happy about the car which is mainly caused by the nice engine and speed potential.
I have had my 330e for almost 4 months now, still pondering about tuning it. My experience of the car is the same, love it.

Are you sure that BMW can't detect it? Have you had your car in for service yet?
Old 01-09-2017, 06:52 AM

The car didn't really went for official service yet. It went in for damage repair. At that time I removed the tuning since I was not sure if they couple the car to the computer.

With my previous car I also removed the tuning. This was never discovered. According Ventura, the tuning cannot be detected at the moment. Maybe it is good to double check this with Ventura yourself too to ensure that this is still the case today.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:32 AM
alhack

Mein Auto: 330e M Sport
Quote:
I enjoy the car every day. Especially the flexibility of the engine is fantastic. Hit the pedal when driving 100 km/h and you will drive 170 km/h before you know it.

The car feels quicker when driving in comfort mode. You clearly feel the power when shifting back.

Currently I am driving on map 6 on RON98 petrol. This gives extra power. But, for 0-100 I have issues to avoid wheelspin. The best time the I made until now is 6 seconds but I see that the motormanagement is trying to reduce wheelspin.

So, yes, so far I am happy with this tuning.
Hi Pkonijn I am new to the forum and also have the pleasure of driving a 330e,great cars in all respects.Please could I ask about your tuning and have you tried map 7 on the box ? if so what was the results ? could this setting be used for everyday driving ? sorry for the Spanish inquisition and thanks.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:55 AM

Hi, no I didn't try map 7. Ventura says that you should or 'must' drive on RON98 in that case. I like to stay with RON95 since it is a company car and I don't want to have too high fuel costs for the company.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:34 PM
alhack

Mein Auto: 330e M Sport
Quote:
Hi, no I didn't try map 7. Ventura says that you should or 'must' drive on RON98 in that case. I like to stay with RON95 since it is a company car and I don't want to have too high fuel costs for the company.

Hi thank you for the reply,I only use 98 Ron and am thinking of tuning so was just after advice thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 04-16-2017, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Everybody who has tried the Ventura tuning is happy with it? No problems?
Old 04-17-2017, 01:51 AM

FYI: Drove 30K+ km now. No problems.

Looking forward hearing experiences of other people too.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
FYI: Drove 30K+ km now. No problems.

Looking forward hearing experiences of other people too.
Nice. Any pictures of the installation? How the box is mounted?
Old 04-17-2017, 10:04 AM

See post #40 for pictures. I have noe placed the box at the left near the window under the plastic cover near to other electronics.

Last edited by pkonijn; 04-17-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:40 PM

Is #40 pictures from your car, or the brochure?
Old 04-18-2017, 02:28 PM

The pictures are of my car. The cable has four connectors which are easy to connect. For each connector the is a white label that shows where to connect. Finally there is one connector to the computer. As said before: the set on the B48 engine is much easier to install then the set for the old N20'engine. So, now install and reinstall takes about 5-10 minutes.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:02 AM

Ordered from Ventura

I've ordered from Ventura today, report will follow.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:12 PM

Great! Looking forward to learn about your experience with the tuning.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:23 AM

Hey all new member here.

I have the 330e 5 weeks old and have covered just over 2500miles. What an amazing machine and piece of engineering, BMW really have out done themselves.

I have had BMW's for the last 9 years and nearly made the switch to Merc with the C350e but that isn't a patch on the 330e.

Anyway, all that aside, I want more power not that it's really needed but... so after lots of research and forum reading I have ordered the Ventura chip and BMS intake, I was going to go with the JB4 but the gains just aren't big enough and most of the extra feature are just so gimmicky IMO.

Everyone's car still running sweet with the Ventura?
Old 05-10-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC07TVV View Post
Anyway, all that aside, I want more power not that it's really needed but... so after lots of research and forum reading I have ordered the Ventura chip and BMS intake, I was going to go with the JB4 but the gains just aren't big enough and most of the extra feature are just so gimmicky IMO.

Everyone's car still running sweet with the Ventura?
Hi and welcome! Do you have a link to the intake you've ordered? Is it this one? http://www.burgertuning.com/B58_340i...ce_intake.html
Old 05-10-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrorain View Post
Hi and welcome! Do you have a link to the intake you've ordered? Is it this one? http://www.burgertuning.com/B58_340i...ce_intake.html
Yes that's the one, I'm in the UK so ordered through MLPerformance.

I realise it's not going to add huge gains but I'm more after the sounds, one great thing about the 330e is that you can have things like this that make noises but when you want to be discrete just cruise a long in silence.

Ventura have said however that the intake will allow higher map to be used. I run 99Ron btw, UK Shell Vpower
Old 05-10-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC07TVV View Post
Yes that's the one, I'm in the UK so ordered through MLPerformance.

I realise it's not going to add huge gains but I'm more after the sounds, one great thing about the 330e is that you can have things like this that make noises but when you want to be discrete just cruise a long in silence.

Ventura have said however that the intake will allow higher map to be used. I run 99Ron btw, UK Shell Vpower
So do you have to specify that when ordering, or can the ventura box be configured after you get it?

Also, did you verify that the intake will be plug and play on the 330e as well?

Last edited by macrorain; 05-10-2017 at 11:03 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
330e, stage 1, tuning

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search