330e tuning? - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330e
The B48 and B58 Billet pipes are different sizes so yes you have to select the correct one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrorain View Post
So do you have to specify that when ordering, or can the ventura box be configured after you get it?

Also, did you verify that the intake will be plug and play on the 330e as well?
The Ventura box can be fine tuned to suit other mods such as the intake, so I'm told. Other chips I used in the past did this too.

Yes the intake is fine on the 330e, it doesn't adjust anything, helps the engine breath and changes the noise a little.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 335AH
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I own a number of BMW's and I'm currently researching and considering purchasing a 330e.

Tuning the 330e is a very interesting topic and I can certainly see the merits in doing that.

From what I've heard, the 330e petrol motor is de-tuned by the factory to around 320i specs. This is so that together with the electric motor it only matches the 330i performance and does not massively outperform it. In fact the factory 330e is slightly slower on the 0-100 than the 330i & I expect that is exactly what BMW wanted. (It should be quicker)
Think about it, they're effectively adding a further 87HP directly inside the gearbox, massive extra torque and no turbo lag. They HAD to detune it! The 330e is not meant to outperform the 330i and is produced for other reasons. All the tune really does is return the petrol motor to the performance it should have had if it was a standalone motor, therefore I cannot see much risk in damage with this.

Of course those 'in-the-know' can add a tune box to their own car and drive a car that is the best of both worlds, Power when you want it and silent fuel economy when you want that!

B.T.W has anyone tried this German made tuning box for the 330e? https://www.racechip.eu/shop/bmw/3-s...5kw-252nm.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2017, 02:33 PM

Hi, I agree with the 330e being under tuned but think this is more to get the CO2 level below certain targets rather than ensuring it is not quicker than the 330i which is indeed is with the Ventura chip fitted. 5.3 0-60 is not far off 340i performance never mind 330i, of course both of this can also be tuned though.

I looked at the German racechip but it seemed to be a one for all type which I don't really like, Ventura have a lot of experience and success with the 330e, I also considered the BMS JB4 but the gains just aren't as big and although they have lots of experience with the B48/58 I'm not so sure how many 330e they have played with.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:01 PM

Maybe, but personally I don't believe it is purely for CO2 levels for a minute. BMW has been de-tuning "lesser" models for decades so as not to compete with their flagship and M models.
I guess I am a natural sceptic and believe that things are not always always as they are for the reasons we are given.

It is correct that any of the flagship and M models can also be tuned, but I guess my preference is to improve your 'bang for buck' by tuning a "lesser" model yourself.
The AH3 Active hybrid (N55 335i motor) should also be much quicker with the E/motor backup. With a simple chip/tune that car has blistering performance, much better than the std F30 335i. Well that certainly would raise a few eyebrows if they had sold the 3 Active Hybrid like that. HAHA

Last edited by BMWest072; 05-12-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWest072 View Post
Maybe, but personally I don't believe it is purely for CO2 levels for a minute. BMW has been de-tuning "lesser" models for decades so as not to compete with their flagship and M models.
I guess I am a natural sceptic and believe that things are not always always as they are for the reasons we are given.

It is correct that any of the flagship and M models can also be tuned, but I guess my preference is to improve your 'bang for buck' by tuning a "lesser" model yourself.
The AH3 Active hybrid (N55 335i motor) should also be much quicker with the E/motor backup. With a simple chip/tune that car has blistering performance, much better than the std F30 335i. Well that certainly would raise a few eyebrows if they had sold the 3 Active Hybrid like that. HAHA
Actually the BMW 740e and X5 40e have the same setup (same B48 petrol engine) as the 330e, but in those car the petrol engine is in "330i tune", so the total system output is 322bhp. In addition, these cars actually have roughly the same CO2 levels as well, so at least BMW is able to run this engine combination in 330i-tune without affecting emissions. So this is probably mainly to make the car fit naturally in the model range.

That said, we don't know for sure whether there are other differences to the setup of the B48 engine when running in 320i vs 330i-mode. For all we know there could be different injectors, different camshaft, perhaps different intercoolers (that last bit could perhaps be easily verified by someone with access to both cars). On the upside, a hybrid car gets less wear and tear on the petrol engine since it's often being run on pure electric mode (at least if you bother to plug it in), so a 330e that has run say 50,000 miles, will in reality have less miles on the engine than a 330i.

When it comes to your question about racechip.de, they are a generic chip manufacturer that produces chips to just about every car model out there, and these chips are likely not specific to each vehicle. It's basically adjusting the boost level the ECU is seeing, tricking it to produce higher boost. This works of course, but the venturatuning option is a bit more sophisticated (use google translate to read about the concept here: http://www.venturatuning.nl/geavance...terne-ecu.html), and is also created specifically to the 330e. Venturatuning creates setups only to BMW, VW, Audi and Mercedes.

I have a ventura tuning-version on order for my 330e (it was shipped earlier this week), so if you have time to wait, I will provide a review in this thread.

Last edited by macrorain; 05-12-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:39 AM

I hadn't realised that about the 7. Maybe a chat with the parts dept at the dealership would identify if there are any differences between the B48 in the 7 and 3. Then there is the 530e which is also now available, I have one coming this Thursday for a weekend trial so I may be able to identify the differences as that has 252bhp engine plus 95bhp motor "The drive's core components include a 185 kW (252 hp) 4-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology, a 70 kW (95 hp) electric motor and a high-voltage lithium-ion battery with a capacity of 9.2 kWh. When running on electricity alone, the vehicle has a range of around 46 km and an electric top speed of 140 km/h." Is the only difference across the 3, 5 & 7 is software then there is a lot of power reserve in the 330e which is a far more driver focused car.

My Ventura arrives next week and BMS intake the week after so will be interesting to see just what I can squeeze out of it, I wish the sports display could be updated to match the new output.

Where are you from Macrorain?

Edit: looking elsewhere there seems to be different info in the 530e stating the combined output is 252bhp just like the 330e, the info I pasted above is from the BMW UK website and makes out the combined would = 347bhp?????

Last edited by SC07TVV; 05-13-2017 at 02:55 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC07TVV View Post
I hadn't realised that about the 7. Maybe a chat with the parts dept at the dealership would identify if there are any differences between the B48 in the 7 and 3. Then there is the 530e which is also now available, I have one coming this Thursday for a weekend trial so I may be able to identify the differences as that has 252bhp engine plus 95bhp motor "The drive's core components include a 185 kW (252 hp) 4-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology, a 70 kW (95 hp) electric motor and a high-voltage lithium-ion battery with a capacity of 9.2 kWh. When running on electricity alone, the vehicle has a range of around 46 km and an electric top speed of 140 km/h." Is the only difference across the 3, 5 & 7 is software then there is a lot of power reserve in the 330e which is a far more driver focused car.

My Ventura arrives next week and BMS intake the week after so will be interesting to see just what I can squeeze out of it, I wish the sports display could be updated to match the new output.

Where are you from Macrorain?
Yes, the 330e and 530e has an identical engine setup as far as I understand.

I'm interested in the BMS intake as well, but I've read a lot of people getting cold start / idle problems and/or check engine lights after installing similar performance intakes, so I'm a bit reluctant to do so.

Is the sports display "fake", and not displaying the actual information from the engine? If it is getting actual torque/hp information, it should display a different and higher output after tuning. The max levels are already high enough, as they max out at 320hp and 560nm in my car at least.

I'm from Norway.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:05 AM

I will let you know how I get on with the intake, I wasn't sure if we would ever have a cold start situation with the 330e as drive on electric generates some heat and warm engine components?? I have lifted the hood after only driving on E for say 10 mile and there was plenty of heat.

I had forgotten the sports display numbers were so much higher, in my 212bhp 1er the dial topped out at 240bhp and I was tuned to 260bhp so yes the dial went to max but always want it increasing, so may not be necessary on the 330e. Anyone who has already tuned advise on this???
Old 05-13-2017, 03:08 AM

This is how it looks at full throttle on my car now, so I'll test again when I get the ventura.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	330e-sportdisplay.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	597286  
Old 05-13-2017, 09:12 AM

That display will not change. This is an artificial indication based on some setting. The power is not actually measured.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Actually the BMW 740e and X5 40e have the same setup (same B48 petrol engine) as the 330e, but in those car the petrol engine is in "330i tune", so the total system output is 322bhp. In addition, these cars actually have roughly the same CO2 levels as well, so at least BMW is able to run this engine combination in 330i-tune without affecting emissions. So this is probably mainly to make the car fit naturally in the model range.

That said, we don't know for sure whether there are other differences to the setup of the B48 engine when running in 320i vs 330i-mode. For all we know there could be different injectors, different camshaft, perhaps different intercoolers (that last bit could perhaps be easily verified by someone with access to both cars). On the upside, a hybrid car gets less wear and tear on the petrol engine since it's often being run on pure electric mode (at least if you bother to plug it in), so a 330e that has run say 50,000 miles, will in reality have less miles on the engine than a 330i.

When it comes to your question about racechip.de, they are a generic chip manufacturer that produces chips to just about every car model out there, and these chips are likely not specific to each vehicle. It's basically adjusting the boost level the ECU is seeing, tricking it to produce higher boost. This works of course, but the venturatuning option is a bit more sophisticated (use google translate to read about the concept here: http://www.venturatuning.nl/geavance...terne-ecu.html), and is also created specifically to the 330e. Venturatuning creates setups only to BMW, VW, Audi and Mercedes.

I have a ventura tuning-version on order for my 330e (it was shipped earlier this week), so if you have time to wait, I will provide a review in this thread.

OK that make sense, yes I would be very interested in the review, thanks.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:01 AM

I do not 100% agree with the statement a hybrid car gets less wear and tear on the petrol engine.

It is true that the engine is used less but when it is used is has to deliver a lot of time a lot of power while the engine is not warm yet. I do not know what effect this has on the wear and tear. For sure the oil has to be changed sooner than in my previous car (320i)
Old 05-14-2017, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkonijn View Post
I do not 100% agree with the statement a hybrid car gets less wear and tear on the petrol engine.

It is true that the engine is used less but when it is used is has to deliver a lot of time a lot of power while the engine is not warm yet. I do not know what effect this has on the wear and tear. For sure the oil has to be changed sooner than in my previous car (320i)
Yes, the issue with cold starts has been worrying me slightly too. I intentionally put the gear lever in sport to force the engine to run from start when I know I intend to some "spirited" driving.

Perhaps BMW has been clever about this and pre-heats the engine even though it's in electrical mode? SC07TVV mentions above that the engine compartment seems warm after driving 10min with EV only.

I've also read elsewhere that PHEV's typically have prewarming systems to ensure the engine gets up to temperature. The BMW engineers are hardly stupid after all.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 40e
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkonijn View Post
That display will not change. This is an artificial indication based on some setting. The power is not actually measured.
Not only that, but in a hybrid, it should go negative. It does NOT go negative during regenerative braking. That's pure eye candy.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
...the info I pasted above is from the BMW UK website and makes out the combined would = 347bhp?????
Careful, you have to avoid the fallacy of adding the two peak outputs. In reality, the petrol and electric torque curves complement each other, and with a unique (great) character for the combined hybrid curve. You're proposing to change just one curve. You may feel that "in your seat" a lot, or very little. You may also end up with an aggregate torque curve that is either unsatisfying, or is briefly too strong for the weakest link in the chain. It's not about simply adding the peak numbers.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I will let you know how I get on with the intake, I wasn't sure if we would ever have a cold start situation with the 330e as drive on electric generates some heat and warm engine components?? I have lifted the hood after only driving on E for say 10 mile and there was plenty of heat.
When do you expect to receive the BMS intake? I'm a bit trigger happy on ordering one, but would like to hear your experience with it
Old 05-17-2017, 11:05 PM

I expect it to be with me in approximately 2 weeks, I too am trigger happy when it comes to buying mods!!! I received the Ventura yesterday and WOW!!!

I am now asking the guys at Ventura if it's even worth having the intake, will it benefit in any way, power, breathing etc or is it all just noise??

Wondering whether to cancel it and keep the car a bit more stealth.

Proper review of Ventura to come later.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:

I received the Ventura yesterday and WOW!!!

Proper review of Ventura to come later.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Actually the BMW 740e and X5 40e have the same setup (same B48 petrol engine) as the 330e...
Are you sure?

Check the following:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=924558

Does the 330e herald BMW's much-anticipated evolution from N20 to B48? Or are some of these posts simply mistaken?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinacar View Post
Are you sure?

Check the following:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=924558

Does the 330e herald BMW's much-anticipated evolution from N20 to B48? Or are some of these posts simply mistaken?
There may be some confusion due to differences in region. I'm from Norway (Europe), where both the 330e, the 530e, the 740e and the X5 40e all have the B48.

330e/530e have the B48 in 320i tune, while the 740e and X5 40e have the B48 in 330i tune.

I don't know for sure whether any of the above actually have (or had) other engines in other regions. I would assume that new cars being sold now would have the B48 in all regions. Probably good to find some way of verifying via the VIN number or something for anyone considering to tune the car.

EDIT: Some information about application of the B48 on Wikipedia, don't know how accurate this is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_B48

Last edited by macrorain; 05-18-2017 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:05 AM

Of a Malaysian news outlet's test drive in Germany, one author writes the following:

"Unlike the X5 xDrive40e which uses the previous 20i series engine - the N20 four-cylinder engine - the 330e uses the latest B48 four-cylinder that's also fitted in the current 320i Sport LCI and 330i M Sport LCI."

https://m.carlist.my/news/review-201...ordable/40904/

Not sure what that means worldwide. I agree: it should be a hell of a lot easier to find out what engine (i.e., what block) is in a given vehicle.

Last edited by guyinacar; 05-18-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:23 AM

It looks like 330e and 530e has the same setup with the B48 engine at least in Europe. Not sure if the 330e was ever delivered with the N20 in the beginning in the US, but maybe so.

I'm not really finding any conclusive evidence that the X5 40e is using the B48, so perhaps that car is only delivered with the N20.

I'm finding conflicting evidence about the 740e, so perhaps that is/has been delivered with both B48 and N20 as well.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:41 AM

I believe that's true. I would still assert that these powerplants - including batteries, transmission, xDrive, and controls - are overwhelmingly similar. They differ in era by about 30 months, yes, but not in spirit or even main OEM parts (ZF, Samsung, BMW, etc). For the particular question of the OP, race-chipping is one of the few specific areas where there would be an absolute difference between the B48 and the N20.

Last edited by guyinacar; 05-18-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
There may be some confusion due to differences in region. I'm from Norway (Europe), where both the 330e, the 530e, the 740e and the X5 40e all have the B48.

330e/530e have the B48 in 320i tune, while the 740e and X5 40e have the B48 in 330i tune.

I don't know for sure whether any of the above actually have (or had) other engines in other regions. I would assume that new cars being sold now would have the B48 in all regions. Probably good to find some way of verifying via the VIN number or something for anyone considering to tune the car.

EDIT: Some information about application of the B48 on Wikipedia, don't know how accurate this is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_B48
In the US it is a B48. If you have a 330e, look at the exhaust label under the hood. When BMW moved to the 330 numbering scheme, they moved the engine to the B48 or its variants. If they had kept the N20, it would have had a 328e number.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
330e, stage 1, tuning

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search