M Roadster Throttle- Rear End wiggles - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:57 AM
Signal Corp. / MP

Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster
M Roadster Throttle- Rear End wiggles

hey gang,

Newbie here...

I hope I am not asking a questions that was answered in a previous thread. I did look with no success. If you know where it is, I would appreciate the link.

Just bought this for a road/track days car.

I am noticing a throttle response issue that kind of concerns me. At just about any RPM, if I give it a good throttle (not hard, maybe just to get around a traffic situation), the back end wiggles pretty good. It also happens when I let off the throttle when I have been accelerating. It does not do it when I ease on or off the throttle. Just when I am a little or a lot aggressive.

What is it?
Can it be eliminated?

Thanks tons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 11:31 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
It would be interesting to know how long you have had the car, and now many miles it has.
Perhaps you just got the car and it has a lot of miles. With a high-miles high-powered M, perahaps you are feeling movement in the rear subframe bushings (disintegrated), the trunk floor channel (torn), and the differential mount (torn).
Known as the rear subframe issue:
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-mount-failure
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...77&postcount=2

Last edited by vintage42; 10-18-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:28 PM
Signal Corp. / MP

Thanks Vintage42,

I just got it last week. It has about 109k on it. I bought it from a very trustworthy source. He is a HPD instructor here at the local HOD club. This has been his track car for about 4 yrs. It has been regularly serviced by (what I believe to be) a reputable performance BMW mechanic. I spoke with the mechanic to confirm (what the owner had told me) that the sub-frame issue had been inspected with in the last year and was found to be in good shape. After reading the threads that you sent me, I did do my own (armature) inspection and did not see any of the described tells for the problem.

As a note to that. I did ask the previous owner about it after noticing it and he said it had always done the wobble thing for him in all the time he has owned it.

Thank you for the info on the other threads. I will try to contact Randy Forbes and see what he says about the symptoms matching the sub-frame problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 06:36 PM
terry2001z3

Mein Auto: 2001 z3
i would get it up on lift and take a good look at all bushings .how old are the shocks ? your tires could just not be for your car.what you are saying is not normal .If the car was tracked by the first owner you have no idea what changes he made or how hard he drove it.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:49 AM
Signal Corp. / MP

Thanks for the input Gilbert.
Yes, I'm sure it was driven hard, given it was an experienced racers track car. I felt I had done my due diligence in contracting the mechanic. As well again, the previous owner has a VERY good reputation in the community.

But, I've misjudged people before.

Definitely making plans to get it into ANOTHER shop to investigate further. Bushings and shocks were definitely at the top of my culprit list to check.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:33 AM
terry2001z3

Mein Auto: 2001 z3
would like to know what you find out that is causeing your car to act that way.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW M Roadster
Do you know if the car has poly rear subframe bushings? Those help to eliminate movement in the subframe and make the handling feel more predictable.

That said, the trailing arm rear suspension on the Z3 platform dates back to the 70s and is very antiquated. It's not going to feel like a car with a modern suspension design.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search