The NEW official E36 OT Thread!! - Page 514 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 04:15 PM
Back in the game

Mein Auto: 1997 m3
Does ELM327 mean something to you all? If so, how am I just now learning about this? It was a dark and small hole I was in during my absence.

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 04:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 325is
The NEW official E36 OT Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnserioJose View Post
Does ELM327 mean something to you all? If so, how am I just now learning about this? It was a dark and small hole I was in during my absence.

Its the coolest thing for DIYers.
Well for OBD2 cars.

1994 BMW 325is "Feldt" w/Turner Motorsports chip
Old 05-28-2015, 05:34 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Mein Auto: 1996 328iS
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1432859613.598215.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	511762

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1432859636.740745.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	511763

Did this today with my buddy in France

1996 328iS OEM Frankenstein
Old 05-28-2015, 06:15 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Heck yeah, Andrew. Looks like fun!

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 05-28-2015, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
karting ftw!!

in other news, i need to get a new anti virus software. suggestions??

df
Old 05-28-2015, 08:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Thirty View Post
Such a ****ty day for me.
+100 Bro.....
Old 05-28-2015, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
karting ftw!!

df
The build in Windows Defender is not terrible and it is free (if you'er running Windows). The whole house used to be running Norton, but I got tried of paying $0-$80 a year for all the licences and managing which PCs got Norton. Now everything is just using Defender and I installed Squid3 on our pfSense router to filter some of the crap before it can even get on our network. Honestly no matter what anti-virus software you use, malware can still get on your PC. Anti-virus software can only stop some of the malware for being installed. The best thing you can do is use some from of anti-virus and notice when your PC has malware on it, so you can use programs like Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes and Super Anti Spyware to remove it after it gets though your defenses.

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Old 05-28-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnserioJose View Post
ELM produced one of the first OBDII to PC interface modules. You can get an ELM or one of a couple dozen similar interface modules in either WiFi or Bluetooth. I've got the OBD Link WiFi module that I use with their scan app and also with the Track Addict app to capture live data during autocross runs. If you're looking at getting one of these, I recommend getting the Bluetooth version as that leaves the WiFi port on your phone available for other things (like GoPro control).

Quote:
karting ftw!!

df
Which version of Windows are you running?

Last edited by dc_wright; 05-28-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:49 PM

windows 8.1, just wanted to see what recommendations were out there for virus, malware and whatnot. i try to minimize exposure but all it takes a a wrong email and *bam*....they're in....

they're like mice. you see some evidence they're around, set a few traps, catch some, but never quite certain how many are actually there.

just downloaded hitman, so will see how it goes. (thanks alex )

df
Old 05-28-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
windows 8.1, just wanted to see what recommendations were out there for virus, malware and whatnot. i try to minimize exposure but all it takes a a wrong email and *bam*....they're in....

they're like mice. you see some evidence they're around, set a few traps, catch some, but never quite certain how many are actually there.

just downloaded hitman, so will see how it goes. (thanks alex )

df
If you've got 8.1 Windows Defender is already installed. You just need to ensure it's turned on. Care in where you browse and what you download is really your best defense. If you have bad computer discipline, there's no anti virus out there that can protect you. I'm using WD on my Windows tablet and haven't had any issues, and I'm more relaxed on what I do on that system than I am on the desktop. On the desktop PC I'm using Norton 360, not so much for the anti-virus but for the password manager utility.

Last edited by dc_wright; 05-28-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:33 PM

no doubt, don. mrs df has been getting a hankering for Pandora stuff and has been looking for flights to florida. and has been wanting me to surf/search/buy all sorts of things, so now every time i open the fest i see pop ups for shoes, body wash, and home décor...

i need to get the "manly stuff" back....gotta surf through harbor freight, i guess...

also, i am going paperless with my bank and wanted to see what sort of added security may be necessary to prevent getting hacked. my bank is pretty decent when it comes to cyber theft, but i am saving up for a house and it crossed my mind as a potential concern.

df

Last edited by drivinfaster; 05-28-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
no doubt, don. mrs df has been getting a hankering for Pandora stuff and has been looking for flights to florida. and has been wanting me to surf/search/buy all sorts of things, so now every time i open the fest i see pop ups for shoes, body wash, and home décor...

i need to get the "manly stuff" back....gotta surf through harbor freight, i guess...

also, i am going paperless with my bank and wanted to see what sort of added security may be necessary to prevent getting hacked. my bank is pretty decent when it comes to cyber theft, but i am saving up for a house and it crossed my mind as a potential concern.

df
If there are actual pop-ups on bimmerfest.com, you likely have malware similar to what Karl was dealing with a little while ago. If you are just talking about the side bar adds, AdBlock will fix those.

Banking security is mostly done on the bank's end. What you can do on your end, beside form the obvious stuff like not giving out your password, is make sure your PC is malware free. Key loggers are malware and can be contained in other malware. A key logger will monitor and record your key strokes, so when you enter your username and password, the key logger will record that and sent it off to the hacker. Then the hacker will have your username and password. A secondary verification like texting you a one time code will help prevent someone with only your username and password form logging in, but they are not perfect. If you tell it to remember your PC, depending on how it remembers your PC, the hacker can spoof your PC. For example, if it looks for your MAC address, the hacker can very easily get that and spoof their MAC address to match your. Most ethernet cards let you spoof their MAC address in Windows without any special software installed. I used to have my MAC address set to BA: DB:OO:B4:65:44 for the fun of it. Another thing to watch out for is evil twin access point. If you use WiFi at a public place like Star Bucks, a hacker can set up an AP with the same SSID as the AP you are trying to use. They will hook up to the real AP and route all traffic from their evil twin AP, though their PC to the real AP. They will sniff all the packets and look for things like credit card info and bank info. Your PC can't tell the difference between an evil twin AP and the AP you want to use, so it will connect to which ever one has the best signal. You also will not be able to notice, because you will get on the network and be able to brows and do everything else like normal. This could also happen to your home WiFi, however it is unlikely someone would set up an evil twin AP just for you.

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Old 05-28-2015, 11:23 PM

As Alex indicated most of the cyber protection is on the banks side of the exchange. From your side, using complex passwords, a different password for every online account, and doing periodic AV/malware sweeps is what's needed.
A lot of people fear using online access to their bank or credit card accounts, but you're less secure if you haven't set up online access. For every account you have (credit card or other financial account) online access has already been enabled on their end and the account is waiting for you to make the initial hookup and select your password and security settings. It's easier to get access the first time than it is after you've personalized the account. Once you've set up online access, most systems provide some kind of alert feature and you want to set those up. I get an alert via email for any transaction that's made on any of our credit cards so i can check immediately if it's one of the places the wife or I buy from or if it's an unusual amount. I also get alerts for any transaction on our bank accounts greater than $50. If you have alerts set up you know almost instantly if someone other then you or the wifey has made a transaction. If you're only getting paper statements you don't know until you get the next statement, and it may only be when you remember you haven't gotten a statement because one of the first things a hacker does is change the mailing address on the account. They can change the alerts too, but then you stop getting any and you know pretty quickly something has happened.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:34 AM
Insane in the membrane!

Never waste money on anti-virus or related software. Took me a while to convince my parents of that but they finally got tired of paying for it.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 328iS
Well I'm graduated. I'm done with highschool! I remember my freshman year like it was yesterday
Old 05-29-2015, 04:50 AM

thanks for the info, guys. feel much better about the whole paperless thing.

and yeah, it was shopping malware that got me. shoes, shirts, underwear, socks, "save 20% now" offers, and even car insurance (????)

anyway, that's done and the next order of business to do is set up my alerts.

and alex, i are am teh dumz with computer stuff, so where/what does that code thingy you posted mean?? (it would be funnier if i knew the inside joke about it.... )

df
Old 05-29-2015, 05:26 AM

Quote:
and alex, i are am teh dumz with computer stuff, so where/what does that code thingy you posted mean?? (it would be funnier if i knew the inside joke about it.... )
The MAC address is a twelve digit hexadecimal number, so it uses the symbols "0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f" to represent numbers. With those symbols I spelled "bad b00b". The last five digits are just random numbers to decree the odds of running in to a matching MAC address.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
Never waste money on anti-virus or related software. Took me a while to convince my parents of that but they finally got tired of paying for it.
I'm assuming you got them to convert to one of the free A/V apps, not to go without any protection?
Old 05-29-2015, 12:57 PM
Insane in the membrane!

To tell you the truth I could run with or without anti-virus, I've never had any problems with windows 7 and on, maybe I just know enough not to do anything stupid. But to answer your question I just tell people to use security essentials which as you've stated is already included in 8+

On another note I am super pissed I am no longer in France and back in Newark. Woe is me.

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1432929459.408861.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	511889

Old 05-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Hellawut??

Mein Auto: who knows?
I forget what it was called. But it was like a javascript delete app for firefox. I could manually pick off a list which plugins i wanted to run and which i didn't want to allow at all.

Wish i knew what it was called because that really cut down ALL ads, without my permission nothing on pages would load unless it was images or text only.
it learned which to allow and which to never allow, the system needed setting up, but once working it would make your webpage flawless and ad less.

Edit:noscript was the name, nothing similar on safari. Grr.

Last edited by Eight Thirty; 05-29-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:15 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleDrivesABmw View Post
Well I'm graduated. I'm done with highschool! I remember my freshman year like it was yesterday
Congratulations! I remember my senior year in high school like it was 46 years ago....because it was. (1969)

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"
Old 05-29-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Congratulations! I remember my senior year in high school like it was 46 years ago....because it was. (1969)
Yep! They printed the diplomas on papyrus using a Gutenberg press...

Congrats Kyle!

1974 for me BTW.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
To tell you the truth I could run with or without anti-virus, I've never had any problems with windows 7 and on, maybe I just know enough not to do anything stupid. But to answer your question I just tell people to use security essentials which as you've stated is already included in 8+

On another note I am super pissed I am no longer in France and back in Newark. Woe is me.

Attachment 511889
France to Newark NJ is quite a transition!
Old 05-29-2015, 01:23 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Yep! They printed the diplomas on papyrus using a Gutenberg press...
That was the city schools. Mine's carved on a rock.

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"
Old 05-29-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
That was the city schools. Mine's carved on a rock.
Didn't realize Moses was moonlighting!

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
rip e36 ot, sir chadley broke bimmerfest

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search