The NEWEST official E36 OT Thread!! - Page 155 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #3851  
Old 03-25-2016, 06:41 AM
ZeGerman's Avatar
ZeGerman ZeGerman is offline
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 23,437
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
Subaru literally has no idea how to design a car. New impreza is somehow uglier than the last one.
Oh yeah, Subaru has always made the ugliest cars. I suspect a lot of it has to do with their design house still being mostly based in Japan, wheras many of the other Japanese automakers have design teams based in the U.S. I mean, if you look at the JDM car market, a lot of the designs are beyond fugly, but we don't see most of them here.

Subaru's appeal used to be that they were quirky (but ugly) AWD beasts that were mechanically simple and ran forever. But things have been changing since they've been on a quest to become mainstream for the last 5-10 years, which they are succeeding wildly at. They're one of the fastest growing automakers right now. The only Subaru I like right now is the XV Crosstrek. If you want a small AWD car with some ground clearance, it's a pretty great option. I like the utilitarian nature and look of it, and they're great for taking up into the mountains.
__________________

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #3852  
Old 03-25-2016, 06:56 AM
FenderBender's Avatar
FenderBender FenderBender is offline
Needs Boost
Location: Hicktown, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,108
Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Oh yeah, Subaru has always made the ugliest cars. I suspect a lot of it has to do with their design house still being mostly based in Japan, wheras many of the other Japanese automakers have design teams based in the U.S. I mean, if you look at the JDM car market, a lot of the designs are beyond fugly, but we don't see most of them here.

Subaru's appeal used to be that they were quirky (but ugly) AWD beasts that were mechanically simple and ran forever. But things have been changing since they've been on a quest to become mainstream for the last 5-10 years, which they are succeeding wildly at. They're one of the fastest growing automakers right now. The only Subaru I like right now is the XV Crosstrek. If you want a small AWD car with some ground clearance, it's a pretty great option. I like the utilitarian nature and look of it, and they're great for taking up into the mountains.
I like some generations of the impreza. While they weren't the best looking, they could look good in the right fashion, IE STI.

The new ones just look like they're trying too hard. Especially with the awkward side body lines.
__________________
Turbo Build Here


Reply With Quote
  #3853  
Old 03-25-2016, 07:26 AM
Dio///M's Avatar
Dio///M Dio///M is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: 34deg53''North 32deg19''east
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,256
Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
I'm not too familier with the model/years but up to five years ago my brother-in-law had this and replaced it with a E60 5er to carry the family,... It was a whiplash machine once the turbo decided to finally serve up the boost you ordered and the ride was absolutely stiff , like the shocks were filled with sand, but a lot of fun was guaranteed.... He regrets letting it go ever since....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1458915966573.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	556150  

Last edited by Dio///M; 03-25-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3854  
Old 03-25-2016, 07:56 AM
FenderBender's Avatar
FenderBender FenderBender is offline
Needs Boost
Location: Hicktown, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,108
Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio///M View Post
I'm not too familier with the model/years but up to five years ago my brother-in-law had this and replaced it with a E60 5er to carry the family,... It was a whiplash machine once the turbo decided to finally serve up the boost you ordered and the ride was absolutely stiff , like the shocks were filled with sand, but a lot of fun was guaranteed.... He regrets letting it go ever since....
My favorite Subaru
__________________
Turbo Build Here


Reply With Quote
  #3855  
Old 03-25-2016, 12:19 PM
ZeGerman's Avatar
ZeGerman ZeGerman is offline
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 23,437
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Still a pig wearing lipstick... And I can say that as the owner of a hawkeye Impreza.
__________________

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Reply With Quote
  #3856  
Old 03-25-2016, 03:21 PM
FenderBender's Avatar
FenderBender FenderBender is offline
Needs Boost
Location: Hicktown, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,108
Mein Auto: Red Sled
I like the design. It's simple, has sort of fender flares, hood scoop, I dig.
__________________
Turbo Build Here


Reply With Quote
  #3857  
Old 03-25-2016, 04:42 PM
Dio///M's Avatar
Dio///M Dio///M is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: 34deg53''North 32deg19''east
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,256
Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Another massive recall for VAG, this time 800,000 '11 - '16 Volkswagen, Porsche SUV'S have potential brake pedal defects involving a securing clip on the hinge of the pedal that could be missing resulting in a pin in the pivot potentially moving causing pedal dislodgement.... Lol, seriously... NO BRAKES...
So if it's a diesel as well, which is more likely in Europe, you have had airbag issues that can kill you(Takata scandal) , your motor will be losing potentially some of its power in the Co2 scandal /recall and now your brakes, as it's occurred in several reported incidents , might not be reliable...

Last edited by Dio///M; 03-25-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3858  
Old 03-25-2016, 06:51 PM
bimmerbarbie's Avatar
bimmerbarbie bimmerbarbie is offline
Official Queen of E36 OT
Location: Hammond, La
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,460
Send a message via AIM to bimmerbarbie
Mein Auto: 93ish 325ish
Where did Chad's diatribe on how to properly use a forum go from the stickies? Ken! I needed to show that to someone and it's gone! Don't make me use the search button, I had a hard enough time remembering how to easily find my own freaking threads.

But I have new toy! I'll probably be injured or dismembered very soon. I'm so excited!
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
... We all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around...
Reply With Quote
  #3859  
Old 03-25-2016, 06:57 PM
hornhospital's Avatar
hornhospital hornhospital is offline
D'oh, You Kids!
Location: In the Grumpy Chair
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,942
Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Click on the Super Sticky thread. It's in there.
__________________
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
Amateur Extra ham radio operator KO4AXN, see you on 40 meters!

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"
Reply With Quote
  #3860  
Old 03-25-2016, 07:23 PM
drivinfaster's Avatar
drivinfaster drivinfaster is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: in the sticks you piney
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,379
Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strictlyeuro View Post
How'd u blow diff
a gazillion psi boost on e85....

that thing was a beast!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbarbie View Post
Where did Chad's diatribe on how to properly use a forum go from the stickies? Ken! I needed to show that to someone and it's gone! Don't make me use the search button, I had a hard enough time remembering how to easily find my own freaking threads.

But I have new toy! I'll probably be injured or dismembered very soon. I'm so excited!
be safe now, dear....

and post pics!!





df
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3861  
Old 03-25-2016, 08:20 PM
southpark11235's Avatar
southpark11235 southpark11235 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Saugerties NY
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,776
Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbarbie View Post
But I have new toy! I'll probably be injured or dismembered very soon. I'm so excited!
What's the fun in life with out the chance of dismemberment. I am going to guess you got a motorcycle.
__________________
Alex//1999 323is - power e46 M3 seats, style 43 rims, 328 exhaust, Z3 rack, Bilstein PSS coilovers
//1992 Mazda Miata - cat delete, power windows, oil filter relocation


“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Reply With Quote
  #3862  
Old 03-26-2016, 09:23 AM
dc_wright's Avatar
dc_wright dc_wright is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orlando, Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,688
Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpark11235 View Post
What's the fun in life with out the chance of dismemberment. I am going to guess you got a motorcycle.
Or a chainsaw............
__________________
2006 Z4 3.0si Sport Package (But I'll still hang with my "homies" in the E36 forum)
Reply With Quote
  #3863  
Old 03-26-2016, 05:50 PM
drivinfaster's Avatar
drivinfaster drivinfaster is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: in the sticks you piney
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,379
Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
ohhhh,...you guys....silly silly silly.... it's a flame throwing chainsaw, if you don't mind!!!



so whacha guys eatin for dinner?? panko crusted chicken thighs with standard veggies on the side for me. also my standard bottle of red.... and some veggies. (not that grapes don't count, but... )




df
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3864  
Old 03-26-2016, 06:08 PM
dc_wright's Avatar
dc_wright dc_wright is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orlando, Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,688
Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
ohhhh,...you guys....silly silly silly.... it's a flame throwing chainsaw, if you don't mind!!!



so whacha guys eatin for dinner?? panko crusted chicken thighs with standard veggies on the side for me. also my standard bottle of red.... and some veggies. (not that grapes don't count, but... )




df
Had Mojo roast pork with yellow rice, fried plantains and fresh Cuban bread.
__________________
2006 Z4 3.0si Sport Package (But I'll still hang with my "homies" in the E36 forum)
Reply With Quote
  #3865  
Old 03-26-2016, 07:07 PM
drivinfaster's Avatar
drivinfaster drivinfaster is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: in the sticks you piney
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,379
Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
not sure what mojo pork is, but the plantains sound yummy. haven't had them in a while.

also made some mac-n-cheese with about 6 different cheeses for tomorrow. mrs df has to work so i will be sorta winging it. need to tinker about the house some more and get some things into gear.


got the "studio" where i was working on the mural cleaned up. i don't want to leave a mess for the owner and his workers to deal with. will pick up the last of the paint tomorrow and drop the key off next week.

i am still in a stupor over the response of my mural. never, ever, *ever* would have imagined it would be this positive. just wow. i just found out today that it will be a feature for the next 3rd Friday promotion, and be used in future arts district promotions as well.

honestly though, i *do* love talking to people about it. i have a lot of thought and intent in the piece, and it is intended to look good, but also to entice some thought and discussion about the town and the direction it should/needs/hopes to go. a nod to the past but hopes for the future, if you will.

i'd love to get some sculpture gardens up and running as well, but that is a project for a later day. right now i will simply enjoy my 15 minutes...






df
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3866  
Old 03-26-2016, 07:18 PM
dc_wright's Avatar
dc_wright dc_wright is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orlando, Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,688
Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
not sure what mojo pork is, but the plantains sound yummy. haven't had them in a while.

also made some mac-n-cheese with about 6 different cheeses for tomorrow. mrs df has to work so i will be sorta winging it. need to tinker about the house some more and get some things into gear.


got the "studio" where i was working on the mural cleaned up. i don't want to leave a mess for the owner and his workers to deal with. will pick up the last of the paint tomorrow and drop the key off next week.

i am still in a stupor over the response of my mural. never, ever, *ever* would have imagined it would be this positive. just wow. i just found out today that it will be a feature for the next 3rd Friday promotion, and be used in future arts district promotions as well.

honestly though, i *do* love talking to people about it. i have a lot of thought and intent in the piece, and it is intended to look good, but also to entice some thought and discussion about the town and the direction it should/needs/hopes to go. a nod to the past but hopes for the future, if you will.

i'd love to get some sculpture gardens up and running as well, but that is a project for a later day. right now i will simply enjoy my 15 minutes...






df
Here's a recipe for it.
__________________
2006 Z4 3.0si Sport Package (But I'll still hang with my "homies" in the E36 forum)
Reply With Quote
  #3867  
Old 03-27-2016, 04:28 AM
Dio///M's Avatar
Dio///M Dio///M is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: 34deg53''North 32deg19''east
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,256
Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
This new car show is great,... typically British in a good sense, a couple of engineering masters (one wearing a tie and shirt at work) try to meet the strict requirements of motoring mogul Mr Kahn and his demanding clientele.
On today's episode Mr K requested a standard Nissan GTR to be modded so as to do a quarter mile faster than a Veyron.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1459077923334.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	556408   Click image for larger version

Name:	1459077956307.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	556409   Click image for larger version

Name:	1459077981956.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	556410  

Last edited by Dio///M; 03-27-2016 at 05:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3868  
Old 03-27-2016, 08:27 PM
EnserioJose's Avatar
EnserioJose EnserioJose is offline
Back in the game
Location: Indianapolis
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,629
Mein Auto: 1997 m3
Karl,

Did you ever write up a review on those bimmerworld fcabs after several thousand miles? I just installed mine and was wondering how quickly they wear. If I'm searching for something that doesn't exist, would you give a quick note? You've had them installed for a couple years now.
__________________


The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Reply With Quote
  #3869  
Old 03-28-2016, 05:23 AM
FenderBender's Avatar
FenderBender FenderBender is offline
Needs Boost
Location: Hicktown, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,108
Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnserioJose View Post
Karl,

Did you ever write up a review on those bimmerworld fcabs after several thousand miles? I just installed mine and was wondering how quickly they wear. If I'm searching for something that doesn't exist, would you give a quick note? You've had them installed for a couple years now.
I'd get AKG. They don't have the wear issues as the tree house ones.
__________________
Turbo Build Here


Reply With Quote
  #3870  
Old 03-28-2016, 06:53 AM
ZeGerman's Avatar
ZeGerman ZeGerman is offline
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 23,437
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnserioJose View Post
Karl,

Did you ever write up a review on those bimmerworld fcabs after several thousand miles? I just installed mine and was wondering how quickly they wear. If I'm searching for something that doesn't exist, would you give a quick note? You've had them installed for a couple years now.
No, I don't think I ever did any sort of writeup on the BW FCABs, but my experience has been very positive. The passenger side bushing became very slightly worn after about 15k miles, so I threw some new inserts in them and was back on the road in a few minutes. Piece of cake. I probably wouldn't have even known that one had worn a bit unless I was under the car taking stuff apart for other reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
I'd get AKG. They don't have the wear issues as the tree house ones.
It's not really a concern when replacing them takes 10 minutes and costs $10.00. If you want the best steering feedback possible, with ultra simple and inexpensive serviceability, the BW/Treehouse style FCABs are the way to go.
__________________

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGerman; 03-28-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3871  
Old 03-28-2016, 07:02 AM
FenderBender's Avatar
FenderBender FenderBender is offline
Needs Boost
Location: Hicktown, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,108
Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
No, I don't think I ever did any sort of writeup on the BW FCABs, but my experience has been very positive. The passenger side bushing became very slightly worn after about 15k miles, so I threw some new inserts in them and was back on the road in a few minutes. Piece of cake. I probably wouldn't have even known that one had worn a bit unless I was under the car taking stuff apart for other reasons.



It's not really a concern when replacing them takes 10 minutes and costs $10.00. If you want the best steering feedback possible, with ultra simple and inexpensive serviceability, the BW/Treehouse style FCABs are the way to go.
I'd rather not have to replace anything, especially after 15k miles.

If my AKG ever need replacing, which I doubt, I'll go adjustable solid mounts.
__________________
Turbo Build Here


Reply With Quote
  #3872  
Old 03-28-2016, 01:25 PM
ZeGerman's Avatar
ZeGerman ZeGerman is offline
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 23,437
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
I think replacing something every 15k miles which is as simple as undoing two bolts per side and costs as much as a decent sandwich is worth it. In theory, any poly bushing will wear equally fast from the control arm spindle rotating in the bushing. AKG FCABs shouldn't be any better in that regard, but they cost a ton more to replace and are more difficult to get in and out.
__________________

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGerman; 03-28-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3873  
Old 03-28-2016, 03:51 PM
FenderBender's Avatar
FenderBender FenderBender is offline
Needs Boost
Location: Hicktown, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,108
Mein Auto: Red Sled
I guess I'll have to keep an eye on mine.

If they do wear I'm getting these.

__________________
Turbo Build Here


Reply With Quote
  #3874  
Old 03-28-2016, 04:24 PM
EnserioJose's Avatar
EnserioJose EnserioJose is offline
Back in the game
Location: Indianapolis
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,629
Mein Auto: 1997 m3
Thanks for the input gents. I'm excited to get back on the road and get some track time!
__________________


The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Reply With Quote
  #3875  
Old 03-29-2016, 03:35 AM
Dio///M's Avatar
Dio///M Dio///M is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: 34deg53''North 32deg19''east
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3,256
Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
The latest act of violence against European/American citizens is taking place at the moment literally 20 minutes from my work. Apparently a hijacker with a explosive belt of Arab background has hijacked a plane in Egypt and forced the pilot to divert and land in Larnaca Airport and is holding 7 hostages. Initial reports talk of politically motivated incentives, we're not getting any details if he's member of any terrorist group . ...
....someone inform this guy that hijacking is so Passé and old school...

Last edited by Dio///M; 03-29-2016 at 03:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
damn you chad!


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.