The NEWEST official E36 OT Thread!! - Page 155 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 03-25-2016, 06:41 AM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
Subaru literally has no idea how to design a car. New impreza is somehow uglier than the last one.
Oh yeah, Subaru has always made the ugliest cars. I suspect a lot of it has to do with their design house still being mostly based in Japan, wheras many of the other Japanese automakers have design teams based in the U.S. I mean, if you look at the JDM car market, a lot of the designs are beyond fugly, but we don't see most of them here.

Subaru's appeal used to be that they were quirky (but ugly) AWD beasts that were mechanically simple and ran forever. But things have been changing since they've been on a quest to become mainstream for the last 5-10 years, which they are succeeding wildly at. They're one of the fastest growing automakers right now. The only Subaru I like right now is the XV Crosstrek. If you want a small AWD car with some ground clearance, it's a pretty great option. I like the utilitarian nature and look of it, and they're great for taking up into the mountains.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2016, 06:56 AM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Oh yeah, Subaru has always made the ugliest cars. I suspect a lot of it has to do with their design house still being mostly based in Japan, wheras many of the other Japanese automakers have design teams based in the U.S. I mean, if you look at the JDM car market, a lot of the designs are beyond fugly, but we don't see most of them here.

Subaru's appeal used to be that they were quirky (but ugly) AWD beasts that were mechanically simple and ran forever. But things have been changing since they've been on a quest to become mainstream for the last 5-10 years, which they are succeeding wildly at. They're one of the fastest growing automakers right now. The only Subaru I like right now is the XV Crosstrek. If you want a small AWD car with some ground clearance, it's a pretty great option. I like the utilitarian nature and look of it, and they're great for taking up into the mountains.
I like some generations of the impreza. While they weren't the best looking, they could look good in the right fashion, IE STI.

The new ones just look like they're trying too hard. Especially with the awkward side body lines.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
I'm not too familier with the model/years but up to five years ago my brother-in-law had this and replaced it with a E60 5er to carry the family,... It was a whiplash machine once the turbo decided to finally serve up the boost you ordered and the ride was absolutely stiff , like the shocks were filled with sand, but a lot of fun was guaranteed.... He regrets letting it go ever since....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1458915966573.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	556150  

Last edited by Dio///M; 03-25-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:56 AM
Needs Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio///M View Post
I'm not too familier with the model/years but up to five years ago my brother-in-law had this and replaced it with a E60 5er to carry the family,... It was a whiplash machine once the turbo decided to finally serve up the boost you ordered and the ride was absolutely stiff , like the shocks were filled with sand, but a lot of fun was guaranteed.... He regrets letting it go ever since....
My favorite Subaru

Old 03-25-2016, 12:19 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Still a pig wearing lipstick... And I can say that as the owner of a hawkeye Impreza.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 03-25-2016, 03:21 PM
Needs Boost

I like the design. It's simple, has sort of fender flares, hood scoop, I dig.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:42 PM

Another massive recall for VAG, this time 800,000 '11 - '16 Volkswagen, Porsche SUV'S have potential brake pedal defects involving a securing clip on the hinge of the pedal that could be missing resulting in a pin in the pivot potentially moving causing pedal dislodgement.... Lol, seriously... NO BRAKES...
So if it's a diesel as well, which is more likely in Europe, you have had airbag issues that can kill you(Takata scandal) , your motor will be losing potentially some of its power in the Co2 scandal /recall and now your brakes, as it's occurred in several reported incidents , might not be reliable...

Last edited by Dio///M; 03-25-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:51 PM
Official Queen of E36 OT

Send a message via AIM to bimmerbarbie
Mein Auto: 93ish 325ish
Where did Chad's diatribe on how to properly use a forum go from the stickies? Ken! I needed to show that to someone and it's gone! Don't make me use the search button, I had a hard enough time remembering how to easily find my own freaking threads.

But I have new toy! I'll probably be injured or dismembered very soon. I'm so excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
... We all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around...
Old 03-25-2016, 06:57 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Click on the Super Sticky thread. It's in there.

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"
Old 03-25-2016, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strictlyeuro View Post
How'd u blow diff
a gazillion psi boost on e85....

that thing was a beast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbarbie View Post
Where did Chad's diatribe on how to properly use a forum go from the stickies? Ken! I needed to show that to someone and it's gone! Don't make me use the search button, I had a hard enough time remembering how to easily find my own freaking threads.

But I have new toy! I'll probably be injured or dismembered very soon. I'm so excited!
be safe now, dear....

and post pics!!

df
Old 03-25-2016, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbarbie View Post
What's the fun in life with out the chance of dismemberment. I am going to guess you got a motorcycle.

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Old 03-26-2016, 09:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpark11235 View Post
What's the fun in life with out the chance of dismemberment. I am going to guess you got a motorcycle.
Or a chainsaw............
Old 03-26-2016, 05:50 PM

ohhhh,...you guys....silly silly silly.... it's a flame throwing chainsaw, if you don't mind!!!

so whacha guys eatin for dinner?? panko crusted chicken thighs with standard veggies on the side for me. also my standard bottle of red.... and some veggies. (not that grapes don't count, but... )

df
Old 03-26-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
ohhhh,...you guys....silly silly silly.... it's a flame throwing chainsaw, if you don't mind!!!

so whacha guys eatin for dinner?? panko crusted chicken thighs with standard veggies on the side for me. also my standard bottle of red.... and some veggies. (not that grapes don't count, but... )

df
Had Mojo roast pork with yellow rice, fried plantains and fresh Cuban bread.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:07 PM

not sure what mojo pork is, but the plantains sound yummy. haven't had them in a while.

also made some mac-n-cheese with about 6 different cheeses for tomorrow. mrs df has to work so i will be sorta winging it. need to tinker about the house some more and get some things into gear.

got the "studio" where i was working on the mural cleaned up. i don't want to leave a mess for the owner and his workers to deal with. will pick up the last of the paint tomorrow and drop the key off next week.

i am still in a stupor over the response of my mural. never, ever, *ever* would have imagined it would be this positive. just wow. i just found out today that it will be a feature for the next 3rd Friday promotion, and be used in future arts district promotions as well.

honestly though, i *do* love talking to people about it. i have a lot of thought and intent in the piece, and it is intended to look good, but also to entice some thought and discussion about the town and the direction it should/needs/hopes to go. a nod to the past but hopes for the future, if you will.

i'd love to get some sculpture gardens up and running as well, but that is a project for a later day. right now i will simply enjoy my 15 minutes...

df
Old 03-26-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
not sure what mojo pork is, but the plantains sound yummy. haven't had them in a while.

also made some mac-n-cheese with about 6 different cheeses for tomorrow. mrs df has to work so i will be sorta winging it. need to tinker about the house some more and get some things into gear.

got the "studio" where i was working on the mural cleaned up. i don't want to leave a mess for the owner and his workers to deal with. will pick up the last of the paint tomorrow and drop the key off next week.

i am still in a stupor over the response of my mural. never, ever, *ever* would have imagined it would be this positive. just wow. i just found out today that it will be a feature for the next 3rd Friday promotion, and be used in future arts district promotions as well.

honestly though, i *do* love talking to people about it. i have a lot of thought and intent in the piece, and it is intended to look good, but also to entice some thought and discussion about the town and the direction it should/needs/hopes to go. a nod to the past but hopes for the future, if you will.

i'd love to get some sculpture gardens up and running as well, but that is a project for a later day. right now i will simply enjoy my 15 minutes...

df
Here's a recipe for it.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:28 AM

This new car show is great,... typically British in a good sense, a couple of engineering masters (one wearing a tie and shirt at work) try to meet the strict requirements of motoring mogul Mr Kahn and his demanding clientele.
On today's episode Mr K requested a standard Nissan GTR to be modded so as to do a quarter mile faster than a Veyron.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1459077923334.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	556408   Click image for larger version

Name:	1459077956307.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	556409   Click image for larger version

Name:	1459077981956.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	556410  

Last edited by Dio///M; 03-27-2016 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:27 PM
Back in the game

Mein Auto: 1997 m3
Karl,

Did you ever write up a review on those bimmerworld fcabs after several thousand miles? I just installed mine and was wondering how quickly they wear. If I'm searching for something that doesn't exist, would you give a quick note? You've had them installed for a couple years now.

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Old 03-28-2016, 05:23 AM
Needs Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnserioJose View Post
Karl,

Did you ever write up a review on those bimmerworld fcabs after several thousand miles? I just installed mine and was wondering how quickly they wear. If I'm searching for something that doesn't exist, would you give a quick note? You've had them installed for a couple years now.
I'd get AKG. They don't have the wear issues as the tree house ones.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:53 AM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnserioJose View Post
Karl,

No, I don't think I ever did any sort of writeup on the BW FCABs, but my experience has been very positive. The passenger side bushing became very slightly worn after about 15k miles, so I threw some new inserts in them and was back on the road in a few minutes. Piece of cake. I probably wouldn't have even known that one had worn a bit unless I was under the car taking stuff apart for other reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
I'd get AKG. They don't have the wear issues as the tree house ones.
It's not really a concern when replacing them takes 10 minutes and costs $10.00. If you want the best steering feedback possible, with ultra simple and inexpensive serviceability, the BW/Treehouse style FCABs are the way to go.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 03-28-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:02 AM
Needs Boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
No, I don't think I ever did any sort of writeup on the BW FCABs, but my experience has been very positive. The passenger side bushing became very slightly worn after about 15k miles, so I threw some new inserts in them and was back on the road in a few minutes. Piece of cake. I probably wouldn't have even known that one had worn a bit unless I was under the car taking stuff apart for other reasons.

It's not really a concern when replacing them takes 10 minutes and costs $10.00. If you want the best steering feedback possible, with ultra simple and inexpensive serviceability, the BW/Treehouse style FCABs are the way to go.
I'd rather not have to replace anything, especially after 15k miles.

If my AKG ever need replacing, which I doubt, I'll go adjustable solid mounts.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:25 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

I think replacing something every 15k miles which is as simple as undoing two bolts per side and costs as much as a decent sandwich is worth it. In theory, any poly bushing will wear equally fast from the control arm spindle rotating in the bushing. AKG FCABs shouldn't be any better in that regard, but they cost a ton more to replace and are more difficult to get in and out.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 03-28-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:51 PM
Needs Boost

I guess I'll have to keep an eye on mine.

If they do wear I'm getting these.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:24 PM
Back in the game

Mein Auto: 1997 m3
Thanks for the input gents. I'm excited to get back on the road and get some track time!

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Old 03-29-2016, 03:35 AM

The latest act of violence against European/American citizens is taking place at the moment literally 20 minutes from my work. Apparently a hijacker with a explosive belt of Arab background has hijacked a plane in Egypt and forced the pilot to divert and land in Larnaca Airport and is holding 7 hostages. Initial reports talk of politically motivated incentives, we're not getting any details if he's member of any terrorist group . ...
....someone inform this guy that hijacking is so Passé and old school...

Last edited by Dio///M; 03-29-2016 at 03:37 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
damn you chad!

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search