The NEWEST official E36 OT Thread!! - Page 157 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 03-31-2016, 06:48 AM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
I foresee a car trailer in your future. You're about a half-step away from that being a dedicated track car.

Nuthin wrong with that!
Yeah, the goal is to have it serve life as a well equipped lap day car that is still streetable. I've just about reached the finished state with it. After an extraordinarily expensive off-season, I'm done spending any major money on it this year, but I've got a few more things on the to-do list for the next few years ahead:

- Auxiliary gauges
- Strut brace
- Replace bolt in roll-bar with welded equivalent
- Replace defunct moonroof cassette with carbon fiber insert
- Install oil pan baffles
- Install oil cooler

I'm also thinking about possibly installing a small trailer hitch to pull a trailer with tires & tools. My current arrangement will be to drive to and from the track on my r-comps, but that could be problematic if I kill a tire while lapping. I'll have a spare on hand if I kill only one, but it would be nice to be able to switch back over to my street tires in the paddock after each track day rather than relying on the r-comps to get me home. Not crazy about the idea of putting a hitch on my car, though.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGerman; 03-31-2016 at 06:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2016, 07:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
I'm also thinking about possibly installing a small trailer hitch to pull a trailer with tires & tools. My current arrangement will be to drive to and from the track on my r-comps, but that could be problematic if I kill a tire while lapping. I'll have a spare on hand if I kill only one, but it would be nice to be able to switch back over to my street tires in the paddock after each track day rather than relying on the r-comps to get me home. Not crazy about the idea of putting a hitch on my car, though.
I would not bother with a hitch on an e36. I have gotten way more than 4 rims and tires in my e36 before with out issue.

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Old 03-31-2016, 07:25 AM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
I think it's more of a praise for chevy and the camaro team. I mean this was only an SS camaro against the best M car. Imagine the 1LE, it would do even better and the ZL1 would destroy it.

Quote:
Hey Matt, have you seen this yet? I don't care for how either car looks, but that you can even mention a regular Camaro SS in the same sentence as the BMW M4 is pretty hilarious. BMW ///M division doesn't get it. They need to start taking notes from Porsche...

----

Got the rest of my go-fast track hardware today. Second set of wheels with Toyo RA-1 r-comps tires and PFC-08 race pads. Will be installing the big brake kit this weekend.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:26 AM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpark11235 View Post
I would not bother with a hitch on an e36. I have gotten way more than 4 rims and tires in my e36 before with out issue.
You can't realistically fit four wheels/tires + tools, fluids, canopy tent, chair, and other track necessities in the interior of an E36 with a roll bar and fixed back seats. Trust me, I've tried. Might be technically possible, but you'll have to pack things in a very ineffective way, making loading and unloading a huge time-consuming PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
I think it's more of a praise for chevy and the camaro team. I mean this was only an SS camaro against the best M car. Imagine the 1LE, it would do even better and the ZL1 would destroy it.
Totally. ZL1 wouldn't have the same ethos as the M3, however, since that was more of a drag car than track car. But whenever they come out with the next generation of Z/28, I'm sure it will obliterate the M4 given how well the plane jane SS did.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 03-31-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:27 AM
Needs Boost

Quote:
Yeah, the goal is to have it serve life as a well equipped lap day car that is still streetable. I've just about reached the finished state with it. After an extraordinarily expensive off-season, I'm done spending any major money on it this year, but I've got a few more things on the to-do list for the next few years ahead:

- Auxiliary gauges
- Strut brace
- Install oil cooler

Have you monitored oil temps? Get a good idea of the temp before you install a cooler. I doubt you'll need one with an NA M52 even on a track in hot temperatures.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:35 AM
Ambitious But Rubbish

Mein Auto: 97 M3 | 96 328iC
Quote:
Driving to and from the track on R-compounds sounds like a really great way to heat-cycle them out very quickly.

I have a few friends who have done the tire trailer thing with various cars (E36, Miata, S2k) and it works well. You drive to and from the track on your all-seasons/summers, swap the R-comps on when you get there, and have a big toolbox on the trailer that you keep your jack/stands/torque wrench/tools/etc in. Makes life way easy.

It's definitely a great thing to have if you don't want to go full-on truck-and-trailer. I almost did it with my car until I decided I wanted the larger benefits of a tow rig (if the car breaks catastrophically or you crash it...) but either is a good option, so long as you just keep the rollbar and don't go full cage.

Now:
11 Ford F-150 FX4 | 97 BMW M3 | 06 BMW M3 Convertible

Then:
87 BMW 325e | 91 BMW 535i | 96 BMW 328i | 95 BMW 325i |95 Mazda Miata | 13 Ford Focus ST | 09 BMW 128i | 00 Pontiac Firebird | 05 GMC Yukon Denali | 96 BMW 328iC
Old 03-31-2016, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323is
Quote:
You can't realistically fit four wheels/tires + tools, canopy tent, and other track necessities in the interior of an E36 with a roll bar and fixed back seats. Trust me, I've tried.
One wheel behind the passenger seat. Two wheels in the passenger seat. Remove the spare wheel and put the last track wheel in the spare tire well. Tools and ect. should be small enough to fit on the rear seats. That leaves the whole trunk for the tent. If you need more room I bet you could stick one wheel in the roll bar. Maybe ratchet strap it on so it does not move.

“We got about ten minutes before this entire county is up in flames. If you want to live, you’d better step on the gas! Oh wait is this a Tesla? Sh!t! Well, step on the prissy pedal, we're going to die!” – Cartman
Old 03-31-2016, 07:55 AM
Needs Boost

Quote:
You can't realistically fit four wheels/tires + tools, fluids, canopy tent, chair, and other track necessities in the interior of an E36 with a roll bar and fixed back seats. Trust me, I've tried. Might be technically possible, but you'll have to pack things in a very ineffective way, making loading and unloading a huge time-consuming PITA.

Totally. ZL1 wouldn't have the same ethos as the M3, however, since that was more of a drag car than track car. But whenever they come out with the next generation of Z/28, I'm sure it will obliterate the M4 given how well the plane jane SS did.
The new ZL1 is more track focused now, even with a large amount of power.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:21 AM
Ambitious But Rubbish

Mein Auto: 97 M3 | 96 328iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by southpark11235 View Post
One wheel behind the passenger seat. Two wheels in the passenger seat. Remove the spare wheel and put the last track wheel in the spare tire well. Tools and ect. should be small enough to fit on the rear seats. That leaves the whole trunk for the tent. If you need more room I bet you could stick one wheel in the roll bar. Maybe ratchet strap it on so it does not move.
You can't get access behind the front seats because they're fixed-back seats. Putting wheels on a nice racing bucket is a fast way to get it super dirty and ruin the fabric.

The only practical way to load the car is if it initially had fold-down rear seats, then you can load forward through the trunk opening. But having fixed-backs and a rollbar make it impossible to load much in the backseat area.

Now:
11 Ford F-150 FX4 | 97 BMW M3 | 06 BMW M3 Convertible

Then:
87 BMW 325e | 91 BMW 535i | 96 BMW 328i | 95 BMW 325i |95 Mazda Miata | 13 Ford Focus ST | 09 BMW 128i | 00 Pontiac Firebird | 05 GMC Yukon Denali | 96 BMW 328iC
Old 03-31-2016, 08:35 AM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Quote:
I've got a few more things on the to-do list for the next few years ahead:

- Auxiliary gauges
- Strut brace
- Install oil cooler
Bump that strut brace up to the top. In fact, put one in the rear, too. You won't believe what a difference it makes. These cars do a lot more flexing than you can imagine. Even in the lowly 318 it made an immediate, very noticeable difference.

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"
Old 03-31-2016, 08:42 AM
Needs Boost

Quote:
Bump that strut brace up to the top. In fact, put one in the rear, too. You won't believe what a difference it makes. These cars do a lot more flexing than you can imagine. Even in the lowly 318 it made an immediate, very noticeable difference.
While I plan on getting front and rear braces evetually, I think a placebo effect is mainly what people feel.

My opinion is I could remove front and rear braces and a X brace from someone's car and they'd never notice.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:57 AM
Hellawut??

Mein Auto: who knows?
Where do you start when you want to Sub divide a Plot of land, A realtor, or the town court to see if its even possible?
Old 03-31-2016, 10:21 AM
D'oh, You Kids!

Town court/planner. It shouldn't cost you anything there just for information. A realtor will want to have their fingers in the pie and list the property after subdivided.

I'm eventually going to be in the same situation. I'm going to inherit 56 acres that I have no use for except to sell it.

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"
Old 03-31-2016, 10:24 AM
D'oh, You Kids!

Quote:
While I plan on getting front and rear braces evetually, I think a placebo effect is mainly what people feel.

My opinion is I could remove front and rear braces and a X brace from someone's car and they'd never notice.
It definitely wasn't placebo on the 318. The darn thing wandered all over on a high-center road. Added the strut brace and no more wandering.

BMW-CCA #441426
Old 03-31-2016, 12:04 PM
Back in the game

Mein Auto: 1997 m3
Quote:
It definitely wasn't placebo on the 318. The darn thing wandered all over on a high-center road. Added the strut brace and no more wandering.
Ditto. I've heard from a a couple sources in the club that have tracked several e36s. They said front can be a bit noodle-y, but strut and x-brace locks it down.

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Old 03-31-2016, 12:28 PM
Hellawut??

Mein Auto: who knows?
Front/Rear strut bars, and X brace and your definitely going to notice something...

And thanks Ken, Ill have to talk to the town and see what they say.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:32 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Quote:
Have you monitored oil temps? Get a good idea of the temp before you install a cooler. I doubt you'll need one with an NA M52 even on a track in hot temperatures.
I have not. I'll have to chat with other E36 folks at the track who have an aux oil temp gauge to see what kind of numbers they generate. Definitely don't want to install an oil cooler if it's unnecessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake_L8 View Post
Driving to and from the track on R-compounds sounds like a really great way to heat-cycle them out very quickly.

I have a few friends who have done the tire trailer thing with various cars (E36, Miata, S2k) and it works well. You drive to and from the track on your all-seasons/summers, swap the R-comps on when you get there, and have a big toolbox on the trailer that you keep your jack/stands/torque wrench/tools/etc in. Makes life way easy.

It's definitely a great thing to have if you don't want to go full-on truck-and-trailer. I almost did it with my car until I decided I wanted the larger benefits of a tow rig (if the car breaks catastrophically or you crash it...) but either is a good option, so long as you just keep the rollbar and don't go full cage.
Hmm, I assumed that highway driving wouldn't put enough heat in the tires to matter... Need to do more research...
Quote:
The new ZL1 is more track focused now, even with a large amount of power.
Cool. Can't wait to learn more about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake_L8 View Post
You can't get access behind the front seats because they're fixed-back seats. Putting wheels on a nice racing bucket is a fast way to get it super dirty and ruin the fabric.

The only practical way to load the car is if it initially had fold-down rear seats, then you can load forward through the trunk opening. But having fixed-backs and a rollbar make it impossible to load much in the backseat area.
This. Fitting four wheels and tires plus everything else just ain't happening.
Quote:
It's odd... Most folks I've talked to about strut braces in the E36 say they can't tell the difference, but every once in a while I come across someone who can. Chassis bracing also becomes much more important on the track with r-comp tires, since the added grip introduces the car to much higher levels of flex than is experienced on the street.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 03-31-2016, 12:53 PM
Come at ///M3

Send a message via AIM to jayjaya29
Mein Auto: 95 M3
You can totally fit 4 tires in the back of a coupe with fixed back seats. Its tight but I've done it numerous times.

Just fold the back seats down and get the tires into the back through the trunk. You'll get your daily yoga practice in during this process.

Last edited by jayjaya29; 03-31-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Town court/planner. It shouldn't cost you anything there just for information. A realtor will want to have their fingers in the pie and list the property after subdivided.

I'm eventually going to be in the same situation. I'm going to inherit 56 acres that I have no use for except to sell it.
This. Realtor offers no value added until you're ready to sell, and then it's limited. The local planning authority should be able to tell you if you can subdivide from the standpoint of whether or not you'll meet minimum lot size. You'll need to give them some idea of what you want to do with the subdivided lots so they can advise you on zoning since required setbacks and side clearances can vary depending on what the property is zoned for.
If you have property to sell and a buyer, you can go direct to a title company and they can handle everything since that's who does all the work anyway even if you have a realtor.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:

Hmm, I assumed that highway driving wouldn't put enough heat in the tires to matter... Need to do more research...
The people I know that trailer their tires to the autocross and change them there get a lot more life out of them then those that drive there on them (like me ). Maybe if you lived close to the site, but I'm typically driving around 100 miles one way for events so they get a pretty good warming up. Now that I've got the FLIR I'm going to check tire temps when I first get to a site and see how they compare to temps after a run.

The Harbor Freight $200 trailer is the most popular with the folks I know that tow.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/870-lb-...ler-62646.html

I believe U-Haul makes a vertical receiver hitch that leaves nothing showing when you remove the draw bar adapter.

If I moved up to STR class where I could run 9" width wheels I would definitely have a wheel set just for events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
You can totally fit 4 tires in the back of a coupe with fixed back seats. Its tight but I've done it numerous times.

Just fold the back seats down and get the tires into the back through the trunk. You'll get your daily yoga practice in during this process.
Not everyone has the fold down seat option....

Last edited by dc_wright; 03-31-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 325is
The NEWEST official E36 OT Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbender View Post
check the frame fuel and brake lines for rust. If it's there, walk away from it.

Yeah but i've always had a chevy truck. I started with a 94 1500, then a 99 s10, an 01 duramax, and now my 03 duramax.
Went to see it today and test drive it, it feels solid. Engine starts at first crank, transmission shifts into all gears, 4x4 engages without weird noises.

3 previous owners, 166k miles. I saw the history and first 2-3 years in Michigan, then down in Texas, and in Jersey since early 2012. Current owner uses it to plow the property/lots where he works so it hasn't been driven much lately. No reported accidents, until someone did the damage in pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1459462752.374553.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	556926

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1459462764.606028.jpg
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	556927

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1459462778.506461.jpg
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	556928

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1459462812.243517.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	556929

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1459462824.395513.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	556930

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1459462838.347201.jpg
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	556931

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1459462945.309296.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	277.8 KB
ID:	556932

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1459462956.061756.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	556933

She looked clean (pun intended) as far as having no rust, but it has clearly not seen a car wash in a looong time.

Seller maintains a fleet of diesel trucks at his job so at least I know it's been maintained.

I only see a small leak, might be oil pan since its above engine oil drain plug. Truck comes with snow plow.

Learned something new from seller today, DPF aka exhaust filter.

Going back there tomorrow with my dad.

1994 BMW 325is "Feldt" w/Turner Motorsports chip

Last edited by bliger7gz; 03-31-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
^^^The Diesel Particulate Filter is something that can cause big problems to the engine if it's not cleaned and functional. If the current owner HASN'T driven the car regularly at constant speeds for OVER 20 minutes at a time to make the filter REGENERATE, (the natural self cleaning process) over the last few years, have the filter cleaned by use of special chemicals, a shop could probably have it done.
At least over here on normal /small cars, the DPF can be over €1,000 to replace OEM, but there's also cheaper aftermarket. If I were you I'd have it cleaned to be safe.

Last edited by Dio///M; 03-31-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:19 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post

The cross bar of my roll bar cuts into the rear seat area significantly. And even if I could somehow manage to fit two full size wheels & tires back there, the idea of carefully lugging two 50lb+ wheels through the trunk tunnel while on my stomach, avoiding the exposed wiring, etc., is not something that I care to do. There is a difference between technically possible and reasonably possible. And if I had four wheels in the car, there is zero chance that I would also be able to fit my 10x10' canopy, tools, and everything else that I bring to the track. Don't know why y'all find it so hard to believe that I can't fit all of my track gear + a full set of spare wheels/tires in the interior of a half-caged E36 coupe.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 03-31-2016, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio///M View Post
^^^The Diesel Particulate Filter is something that can cause big problems to the engine if it's not cleaned and functional. If the current owner HASN'T driven the car regularly at constant speeds for OVER 20 minutes at a time to make the filter REGENERATE, (the natural self cleaning process) over the last few years, have the filter cleaned by use of special chemicals, a shop could probably have it done.
At least over here on normal /small cars, the DPF can be over €1,000 to replace OEM, but there's also cheaper aftermarket. If I were you I'd have it cleaned to be safe.

He said he had it cleaned but hasn't driven it out much and the CEL came back recently, so cleaning the DPF would be on the top priorities.

1994 BMW 325is "Feldt" w/Turner Motorsports chip
Old 03-31-2016, 10:40 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Mein Auto: 1996 328iS
Quote:
The cross bar of my roll bar cuts into the rear seat area significantly. And even if I could somehow manage to fit two full size wheels & tires back there, the idea of carefully lugging two 50lb+ wheels through the trunk tunnel while on my stomach, avoiding the exposed wiring, etc., is not something that I care to do. There is a difference between technically possible and reasonably possible. And if I had four wheels in the car, there is zero chance that I would also be able to fit my 10x10' canopy, tools, and everything else that I bring to the track. Don't know why y'all find it so hard to believe that I can't fit all of my track gear + a full set of spare wheels/tires in the interior of a half-caged E36 coupe.
Haha I hear you Karl, even if you could do it, I would probably do it once and then never again, sounds like a huge pain in the ass nvm looking like a fool trying to do it haha. If you want a hitch that can be discrete, and even has a ton of towing capacity (actually half a ton) and you don't want to do any welding, I highly recommend what I have, which is the oem Westfalia hitch. Only bad thing is you'll lose your rear bumper shocks. It is by far the best investment I've ever made on my car, and I don't even own a trailer. Renting trailers is very cheap, but I would definitely just buy one of those small ones designed just to carry wheels, if I had another set of wheels. It will add some weight, but so does a roll cage.

Last edited by dwonda; 03-31-2016 at 10:43 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
damn you chad!

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search